Awoo.

Pokemon X & Y (October 2013 on 3DS) - [Now out! Go out and play it already]

Pelly <3's U

I just had a horrible thought. Pikachu talks in the trailer. I hope this was just because it's a reveal trailer, and doesn't mean Pokémon in the game talk, because that would be horrible.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just had a horrible thought. Pikachu talks in the trailer. I hope this was just because it's a reveal trailer, and doesn't mean Pokémon in the game talk, because that would be horrible.

I'm sure it is just the trailer, I wouldn't mind higher quality cries though.

Heck, even voice acting for the humans would be greatly appreciated, Pokémon needs better sounds!

• Thumbs Up 5

It's going to be tough following these games. I always want to avoid Pokémon news, since every Pokémon you witness first hand in the game before seeing them in screenshots and trailers is a lovely surprise. But I also want to know as much as possible about these after 2012 saw two big dissapointments for me in the way of AC3, and more to the point, BW2.
I know exactly how you feel :/ Thankfully only a handful of Pokemon were actually revealed prior to the BW release and I stopped spoiling myself after the Japanese release so it was mostly fresh to me.

It is quite lame if you know exactly what's coming though :/

Heck, even voice acting for the humans would be greatly appreciated, Pokémon needs better sounds!

Haven't played Gen 5, but do they actually still use the gameboy chirps and beeps for the Gen I-II Pokemon cries?

Whatever version name you thought up of, it's likley to have been taken by a fanmade ROM hack. =V

Anyway, in hindsight that announcement couldn't have been anything else other than Gen VI, so not surprised. Full 3D and we're still in a grid? That's simultaneously the biggest hype up and letdown ever.

• Thumbs Up 1

One thing I've been curious about is how the battle animations are going to impact the length of battles. If there's one thing I enjoyed about old school Pokemon, it's that battles weren't really impeded on with long, extraneous animations and were thus quicker than they potentially could have been. I'm aware a lot of the stuff in the trailer is undone, but those attacks the starters did looked long despite being edited, so it wouldn't be a big surprise if battles started dragging as a result. It's ironic too; I've always wanted battle reactions. xP

Stadium did it right. I'd love that again.

• Thumbs Up 2

Pokemon need to start saying their names and related syllables, not just cries. You can't have a trailer with Pikachu "Pika-ing" up the place, and then give it a generic squeak in the game.

Oh gosh I'm excited. Worldwide release by October? Damn, they really seem to be focussing on the global fandom moreso than any other time.

It's gonna take me a while to get used to 3D graphics in a main Pokemon game, but I'll get over it (just hope it looks better on the actual system than it does on the screens).

And awww man that fire starter is the cutest little thing!

Y'know, I feel like that due to the amount of models and animations that had to be made for this, we're not going to be getting as many new Pokémon this time around.

• Thumbs Up 1

Pokemon need to start saying their names and related syllables, not just cries. You can't have a trailer with Pikachu "Pika-ing" up the place, and then give it a generic squeak in the game.

I thought Pokemon were always meant to sound like actual animals, and I thought the whole "saying there names in syllables" was just a by product of the anime.

Yeah I think Stadium did it right too :/

I'd really rather they didn't say their names though, because the Pokémon dub is fucking terrible at this point. Pikachu is great, but out of the ~700 or so Pokémon, only about 20 of them sound anything other than embarrassing when they say their names. Animal noises or higher quality cries would be good tho.

EDIT: And yeah I'm pretty sure the saying names thing is only cause of the anime.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1

EDIT: And yeah I'm pretty sure the saying names thing is only cause of the anime.

Animal grunts would have made Smash Bros a lot less colorful though. I can't imagine Pikachu sounding anything other like his anime counterpart because of it. If the game is looking to be a lot livelier and active in it's battle cinematics then I wouldn't mind that approach.

I thought Pokemon were always meant to sound like actual animals, and I thought the whole "saying there names in syllables" was just a by product of the anime.

Despite randomly going back and forth with Pikachu on that front (really, he just talked in the trailer), I've always figured that as well, but I do prefer Pokemon saying their names, because every creature in every other game that doesn't outright speak English is given a generic battle cry or squeak or roar or something. Random midi sounds are boring, and I think it ignores something that is iconic about the franchise.

Despite randomly going back and forth with Pikachu on that front (really, he just talked in the trailer), I've always figured that as well, but I do prefer Pokemon saying their names, because every creature in every other game that doesn't outright speak English is given a generic battle cry or squeak or roar or something. Random midi sounds are boring, and I think it ignores something that is iconic about the franchise.

That's true, and while I do find it kind of charming in the anime, I always imagine a lot of people getting annoyed if the Pokemon actually saying their names was a thing.

Mewtwo would not be popular if his vocabulary consisted of only his name. Not even Phillip Bartlet or Dan Green could save him if that were the case.

Mewtwo would not be popular if his vocabulary consisted of only his name. Not even Phillip Bartlet or Dan Green could save him if that were the case.

Which is why even in the dub, the more fiercer looking Pokemon (Onix, Zapdos, Raikou, Tyranitar) just stick mainly to roars.

Edited by Soniman

Let's talk plot. =P

Gen V prided itself on the story it had(in my opinion it salvaged what was otherwise a pretty meh Generation), and you can say at least it's grown more complex over the years. We've gone from:

*Stopping Team Rocket

*Stopping Team Rocket... Again

*Stopping stupid environmentalists from screwing with Hoenn

*Stopping nihilistic emotionless would be gods

*Stopping a warped version of PETA

So what new and exciting plot twists will we see this time? Maybe a team focused on genetics?

Imagine if Fennekin's evolutions are bipedal. 

Imagine the Rule 34.

Renamon might have some competition. 

I'm easy to read, huh?

Edited by JunkoEnoshimapan
  • Thumbs Up 1

The more I watch the trailer and look at screens, the more irritated I feel. Admittedly I'm still somewhat interested, but I feel as though I really shouldn't be. :/ 

Don't get me wrong, I genuinely like Pokemon as a series, even if the newer gens haven't really captivated me like the older ones did, but ironically as a franchise it just refuses to evolve on a technical level. Being totally honest, one of my first impressions upon watching the trailer was "Wow, these graphics don't look very good". Yes, graphics by no means make a game, but in fairness, this doesn't look at all that much better than a high-end DS game running at a higher resolution. :/ The 3DS is capable of far, far more. The Pokemon models look nice enough, but the player, NPCs and the world around them looks like a very good DS game, rather than a 3DS game.

Also, is this game honestly still tile-based? Fuck that shit. You mean to tell me that, in 2013, on a handheld more powerful than the Dreamcast, we're still walking in squares? It might sound stupid, but I'm not even kidding when I'm saying that's one of the biggest game-breakers for me. It was somewhat excusable, arguably necessary with the older games. It makes moving around cumbersome and clunky. That they're trying to go for a 'full 3D' Pokemon game and are still clinging to a tile-based engine which forces you to walk in squares is beyond ridiculous. I seriously hope I'm mistaken about this, but it's not looking hopeful.

I really don't like to go in sounding so negative, because I'm sure the game will be good. Hell, Pokemon games always are. But what annoys me the most is at how the Pokemon series is bursting at the seams with potential that's pretty much routinely ignored. I was really hoping that the move to 3DS would force them to get their shit together and really revamp the series from the ground up, but from a technical standpoint it feels like they've done little to the core engine other than up the graphics and lower the camera angle. 

• Thumbs Up 2

^I'm expecting the graphics to look far better in hand. 3DS screenshots always seem to look like ass. Plus, they've still got some polishing left to do, I reckon. 

• Thumbs Up 3

That new fire fox pokemon just might get me back into the series....I like foxes.

Well that and the Y shaped bird.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic