Awoo.

Pokemon X & Y (October 2013 on 3DS) - [Now out! Go out and play it already]

Pelly <3's U

The new Mewtwo forme was confirmed? I still think it doesn't need another forme.

Not actually a forme. An entirely separate Pokemon.

It could be a red herring, but it does seem to be part of the Mew family rather than being another form of Mewtwo. Must be another genetic experiment.

Not actually a forme. An entirely separate Pokemon.

Oh, I'm cool with that. Thanks. When I entered the topic just now, it had grown like 15 pages since I last visited April 3rd and I couldn't be bothered to read through all of that laugh.png

Okay so I think I've finally got my head around why I don't really like this new Mewtwo's design so far.  Looking at what's supposedly the official art and comparing it to the original Mewtwo's:

Mewtwo.png

New_Mewtwo.png

The following things irk me:

1) The new design doesn't look at all intimidating.  Personally, I've found all the legendaries for the exception of the ones that are clearly supposed to be cute (e.g. Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Manaphy etc) have all had this air of intimidation about them.  I don't get that at all from this new form and it's largely because of how top heavy it is.  It's head is so damn huge comparative to every other part of its body it almost comes off with slightly chibi combined with the widened more friendly looking eyes.  To add to that, the rest of the body is slimmer and small than the original Mewtwo.  The original had those giant powerful horse legs and that slightly bulkier upper body that made it look somewhat muscular.  That's less of the case for the new one.

2) The feet look really hideous and look like they don't belong at the end of the legs.  Those weird looking purple toes look like they were stuck on with glue.  I have a similar feeling with regards to the hands but it's less prevalent.  The fingers look a little more like they should be there, but nonetheless I still find them rather ugly.

3) The fact that he doesn't have a tail where it should conventionally be also bothers me and again leads back to the top heavy thing.  Even with the head tail I feel that if he had still kept his regular tail the design would balance out a little better and actually be quite a bit more intimidating.  Also keeps a little more consistent with Mew and original Mewtwo though that's a nitpick.  Though I may get over this as time goes on.

4) The last is the fact that we don't have any context for this Mewtwo form yet.  What is the relevance to this form and how does it affect Mewtwo both as a character and as a Pokemon, as well as how does it affect the plot of the next film and game.  However, this will most certainly be answered in the near future so this isn't too big of an issue so much as me just being anxious.  Nonetheless I still think it should've been pointed out and I'm curious as to why GF would make this form.  If they just decided to go and make it, that would annoy me because there are plenty of other Pokemon that are in dire need of evolutions/new forms.  If there's some significance to the form, then that's cool.

That's just how I feel about it.

Oh and on a side note, the new Drowzee pre-evo is rather cute.  Looks kinda funny.

Edited by SiLeNtDo0m
  • Thumbs Up 2

4) The last is the fact that we don't have any context for this Mewtwo form yet.  What is the relevance to this form and how does it affect Mewtwo both as a character and as a Pokemon, as well as how does it affect the plot of the next film and game.  However, this will most certainly be answered in the near future so this isn't too big of an issue so much as me just being anxious.  Nonetheless I still think it should've been pointed out and I'm curious as to why GF would make this form.  If they just decided to go and make it, that would annoy me because there are plenty of other Pokemon that are in dire need of evolutions/new forms.  If there's some significance to the form, then that's cool.

That's just how I feel about it.

Oh and on a side note, the new Drowzee pre-evo is rather cute.  Looks kinda funny.

Read a few posts up. It's a new Pokémon, not a new forme. 

the new Drowzee pre-evo is rather cute

That's a fake one.

It's a new Pokémon, not a new forme.

It's unknown yet whether it's a new mon or just a new form for Mewtwo.

Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 1

Read a few posts up. It's a new Pokémon, not a new forme. 

I saw, but even then it still looks related to the Mew line of Pokemon in some way.  The way that it's been presented so far, even if it's a new Pokemon it still looks very much like it links closely to Mewtwo.  So in a sense my point could still stand and I'd still like to see a little more context.  Though it's early days, I'm still hyping to see what other kind of designs they come up with and am eagerly anticipating both the X and Y games.

That's a fake one.

Aww that's a shame :<  I quite liked it.  

Oh and on a side note, the new Drowzee pre-evo is rather cute. Looks kinda funny.

Wait, what?

The lack of a tail kinda irks me too, especially in the game footage, it looks like something should be there which is quite off putting. I just want confirmation if it really is a Mewtwo form or a new Pokémon altogether, there's evidence to suggest both and it's quite frustrating not knowing.

Wait, what?

The lack of a tail kinda irks me too, especially in the game footage, it looks like something should be there which is quite off putting. I just want confirmation if it really is a Mewtwo form or a new Pokémon altogether, there's evidence to suggest both and it's quite frustrating not knowing.

I heard there's gonna be a trailer for the movie on April 18. Guess we will see something in it.

I think it's alright.

Only nitpick I can give is that it looks like they slapped several purple sausages onto it's limbs and called them fingers and toes.

Now just give me a justified story reason in X and Y and I'll be good to go.

Guys, come on. You're Sonic fans. You're supposed to know how marketing works by now.

It's not a new pokémon. They're saying that to generate hype. They ALWAYS say that to generate hype when there's a new forme.

• Thumbs Up 3

Guys, come on. You're Sonic fans. You're supposed to know how marketing works by now.

It's not a new pokémon. They're saying that to generate hype. They ALWAYS say that to generate hype when there's a new forme.

You mean the all of one time they did that before with Kyurem? It doesn't generate hype, it generates speculation and it was obvious Black & White Kyurem were formes anyway, this is a bit different however.

Also, hang on, what?? Sonic is the WORST example of marketing haha!

I'm just gonna call it Awakened Forme right now considering that's what the movie will be about.

You mean the all of one time they did that before with Kyurem? It doesn't generate hype, it generates speculation and it was obvious Black & White Kyurem were formes anyway, this is a bit different however.

Also, hang on, what?? Sonic is the WORST example of marketing haha!

That's... kinda my point? Remember SONIC 4 AS YOU TRULY IMAGINED IT? Tell them outrageous things, get buzz about it. GUYS IT'S MEWTHREE. buzzbuzzbuzz

Christ you guys have posted a lot in the last day. Well, despite my media blackout I could tell it was gonna be Mewtwo so I had a look at Serebii on my phone while I was out.

I actually got very hyped, because say what you will about the new guy but I think his sugimori art is awesome? I think he's very faithfully designed and despite looking sleeker and a bit cuter, he still looks pretty mean and misunderstood, a little bratty almost?

I don't care whether it's a new Pokémon or a new forme (I really hope there's not another forme though, one is enough), but it excites me for many reasons!

• Mewtwo has been given hype importance leading up to a new gen, that likely means Mewtwo and possibly even Mew will be a key part of XY as a game or plot!! (maybe even version 3 mascot??) He'll likely be part of the game's National Dex even!
  • I've been wanting more plot focus on Mewtwo ever since Pokémon games started being a bit more lore-heavy, and it's fantastic that old legies aren't always forgotten (like how some people thought Mew's importance was made redundant when Arceus was made)
  • They're trying to appeal to nostalgia with the hype, it's interesting, and they're leaving out interesting key things like Sylveon's type and the name of Mewtwo's forme, automatic hype generators and maybe even precursors to new features?
  • It gives them the chance to rekindle old hype with the possibility of a new secret kind of Mewtwo, as well as show newer Pokémon players which Pokémon the older generations loved giving a fuss about.

I have to say, I hope the people who dislike the new Mewtwo has it grow on them eventually because I'm officially more hyped because of this than anything XY has done so far. I always thought Mewtwo was cool, maybe a bit overrated, but I was always sad that his interesting story was so under-developed and worried that he was left to stay as Red/Blue's "secret plot" forever. I've been hoping something like this would happen for a while now.

• Thumbs Up 6

Oh, I'm cool with that. Thanks. When I entered the topic just now, it had grown like 15 pages since I last visited April 3rd and I couldn't be bothered to read through all of that laugh.png

Use your power and go through the massive amount of missed pages as I do, you can do it.

Also the new...Kitty of doom is fancy looking, sure the the toes/fingers look slightly weird, but I'm alright with it otherwise.

That's... kinda my point? Remember SONIC 4 AS YOU TRULY IMAGINED IT? Tell them outrageous things, get buzz about it. GUYS IT'S MEWTHREE. buzzbuzzbuzz

Bleh, I get what you mean now, my bad, misinterpreted lol.

SuperLink your post pretty much sums up how I feel although much better written, you raise some good points.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bleh, I get what you mean now, my bad, misinterpreted lol.

SuperLink your post pretty much sums up how I feel although much better written, you raise some good points.

You sure about that? :P When I get hype I'm all over the place and repeat stuff all the time!

Oh but I will say one thing, everywhere's reporting it as a new Pokémon, even the official site and PR emails, but I still feel like it'll be a forme or a fusion Pokémon (iirc Black/White Zekrom were called "New Pokémon" too?)

Honestly not sure how to feel about the idea of it being a totally different Pokémon, I do want Mewtwo and Mew to get more focus so I hope they (esp Mewtwo) are involved in this thing's existence.

Well, a new forme is technically a new Pokemon seeing as how they have a new design, new attacks, new stats, and maybe a new ability.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh but I will say one thing, everywhere's reporting it as a new Pokémon, even the official site and PR emails, but I still feel like it'll be a forme or a fusion Pokémon (iirc Black/White Zekrom were called "New Pokémon" too?)

Honestly not sure how to feel about the idea of it being a totally different Pokémon, I do want Mewtwo and Mew to get more focus so I hope they (esp Mewtwo) are involved in this thing's existence.

I get what you mean, part of me wants it to be a new form just for the sake of getting Mewtwo involved again but part of me also wants it to be a totally new Pokémon just so this form doesn't become the 'main' Mewtwo as every form created after the Pokémons initial debut tends to become.

Well, a new forme is technically a new Pokemon seeing as how they have a new design, new attacks, new stats, and maybe a new ability.

I'm not sure what "technically" makes a "New Pokémon", I always thought having a new name at least and Pokédex number was important to that. Deoxys is still all Deoxys to the average fan.

I get what you mean, part of me wants it to be a new form just for the sake of getting Mewtwo involved again but part of me also wants it to be a totally new Pokémon just so this form doesn't become the 'main' Mewtwo as every form created after the Pokémons initial debut tends to become.

And speaking of Deoxys, I don't think we have to worry about this becoming the main Mewtwo forme as Shaymin and Deoxys are still in their original formes a lot too, and Rotom. Mewtwo's original forme is too iconic to ever really "replace", whereas Giratina and Keldeo's first appearances don't have too many fans. Origin Giratina is awesome, I vastly prefer it to the original stumpy legged thing and I guess most of the fandom does too.

It's as if Ditto was not the one pokemon but all other 648 pokemon at once xD. It's still Ditto no matter what form it takes.