Awoo.

"TV & COMPUTER IS GIVING KIDS CANCER" ...says newspaper.

Danj86

screenshot295501thumbwi.jpg

The daily's top story claimed in its headline: "TV & Computer Craze is giving kids cancer", with the story suggesting that this claim was based on research provided by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health.

"Children who are hooked on TV, computer games and the web are at a greater risk of getting cancer in later life," the article began.

However, none of the experts cited in the article have directly linked game playing to cancer.

A spokesperson for the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health told CVG that its message was specifically about sedentary lifestyles in young people, which is linked to numerous health risks.

"That's not something we've been commenting on," a spokesperson said when asked about gaming's alleged link to cancer.

The article goes on to claim that children should not spend more than two hours per day in front of screens, and claims that the current UK average is 5.9 hours.

Kate Mendoza, of the World Cancer Research Fund, warned:

"Children may well get plenty of physical activity at school through sports or playing but if they spend a lot of time sitting down at home they might develop habits which could increase their risk of diseases like cancer, heart disease and diabetes in the future."

Professor Mitch Blair of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, added:

"Whether it's mobile phones, games consoles, TVs or laptops, advances in technology mean children are exposed to screens for longer amounts of time than ever before. We are becoming increasingly concerned that this encourages a more sedentary lifestyle."

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/385389/mirror-front-page-attacks-games-for-giving-kids-cancer/#

Not really sure if this is even worth it's own topic. It's just far too ridiculous to believe and the information was provided by a dying medium. Still...could be good for a laugh?

But it is kinda depressing to think that some parents might believe this tripe, simply because they don't know any better. I first heard about this story on daytime TV, and they did have some messages from worried parents. I could hear my brain cells dying from just watching such uneducated turds. But I've always hated daytime TV...

Anyway, whenever an article surfaces claiming something else causes cancer, I can't help be think about this:

Edited by DanJ86
  • Thumbs Up 4

This just in! "Talking too much will give you Throat Cancer!"...bloody hell, nowadays, EVERYTHING we do will give us Cancer.

• Thumbs Up 4

The article goes on to claim that children should not spend more than two hours per day in front of screens, and claims that the current UK average is 5.9 hours.

Two hours per day? What am I supposed to do the rest of the day, I lack a social life outside of the computer. <:I

Sad thing is that there are people that will believe this.

There's something worst that TV and computers are doing than suggesting it gives cancer.

We spend too much time on the internet to the point we're just wasting away. I can say this from personal experience.

I'm trying to get out of the habit but its not working. HALP! D:

They got a point. I've spent unseen amount of hours on the Internet, and I'm trying to cut back. So I can partially agree with this.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

If you're scientifically minded, its hard to take this seriously. Which is probably why these kind of news outlets target those who aren't scientifically minded. No it won't give you cancer.

There is a point behind that silly title, if you dig deep enough though.

Edited by Scar

Meh, I don't believe it. How can staring at a computer/TV screen give you cancer? seriously. Where's the proof? If you ask me it's their poor excuse to scare people away from using technology so much and spend more time with family, friends, going out, etc. It was the first thing I thought, actually. 

http://kill-or-cure.herokuapp.com/

That is a list of everything the Daily Mail has, at one point or another, claimed to prevent or cause cancer. Some of the things listed do both, but don't try to think too hard about it.

I wouldn't worry too much about tabloid headlines related to cancer. How long do you think it'll be before one of them says that reading taboid headlines about cancer can cause cancer. Or is that too meta?

Even if that was the case, who cares. I love playing computer games.  So if it increases my chances of dying early, well at least I will die happy.

Edited by Robin John Blake
  • Thumbs Up 2

This is the Daily Mail, right?

LOL.

The CVG link said it was the Daily Mirror.

But the Daily Mail does have an article on it on their site too, so they don't dodge the blame anyway. 

Let me guess the Daily Mail printed that?rolleyes.gif

They really must of ran out of other shit to scare us with so they rely on good old Mr. Cancer to give our underpants a good wetting.

I can see their next headline: "FARTING TOO MUCH WILL GIVE YOU CANCER!". sleep.png

Meh, I don't believe it. How can staring at a computer/TV screen give you cancer? seriously. Where's the proof? If you ask me it's their poor excuse to scare people away from using technology so much and spend more time with family, friends, going out, etc. It was the first thing I thought, actually. 

While I totally disagree with the article's claim that computers cause cancer, I don't think it's a terrible idea to spend more time with your family. If you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone, you will die a very sad person indeed.

• Thumbs Up 5

This was on the news earlier. This bloke said "I used to finish school and play Sonic the Hedgehog, and that never gave me Cancer". Sonic doesn't cause Cancer. Game on!

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, I have to type up all of my assignments. Most of them take me more than two hours to complete. Does this mean that if I don't finish an assignment, I can use the excuse that I didn't want to get cancer?

There's not a single thing that newspapers won't tell you is giving you cancer.....

....on the bright side there's also not a single thing that newspapers won't tell you will reduce your risk of cancer.

PEPPER CAUSES CANCER!!!!

two weeks later

PEPPER MAY HELP REDUCE CANCER RISK!!!!!

true_story_bro__by_sofitrp-d5bt24p.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

This is complete and utter horse manure.

I've no idea how watching moving images on a television/computer screen can give anybody cancer, and if evidence can be provided that corroborates that, then we should also just go ahead and ban cinemas.

Hell, might as well ban radios as well, just in case the radio waves that have been used for decades give us all brain cancer...

• Thumbs Up 1

Great more rumors.angry.png Now realistically cancer should be replaced with "worsens vision" (I wear glasses, however everyone, but my younger sister needs glasses/contacts) yes I spend alot of time in front of a TV/computer, but it's WA it always rains here.

Let me guess the Daily Mail printed that?rolleyes.gif

They really must of ran out of other shit to scare us with so they rely on good old Mr. Cancer to give our underpants a good wetting.

I can see their next headline: "FARTING TOO MUCH WILL GIVE YOU CANCER!". sleep.png

NEW HEADLINE: NOT FARTING CAUSES SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION!

I could hear my brain cells dying from just watching such uneducated turds. 

I've got it! Reading terrible stories like this causes cancer and is killing us. Therefore, we should shut down news places like this to save our youth. Everybody wins (well, except for the people fabricating these stories. :P)

Hm, is it just me, or does it seem that dang near everything can apparently give you cancer nowadays? Such hyperbolic stories like this just makes the term appear meaningless...

Well that explains my osteosarcoma oops time to sue Nintendo.

Keep in mind that there is a grain of truth in the article, guys. It specifically mentions how being too sedentary ain't good for ya and that kids are not as active as they should be, leading to an increased risk in cancer. They're simply singling out TV and vidya because doing that is what's been grabbing in them soccer moms for ages. 

Titles like that sell papers, even though it's like blaming beer for turning someone into an alcoholic. When it comes down to it, it's up to the individuals (and the parents' intervention, in this case) to control their lifestyles for the better.

Edited by JunkoEnoshimapan
  • Thumbs Up 2

Pretty sure I'm more likely to get Cancer from reading the stupidity that passes for news these days than watching shit on the TV.

Then again if I got cancer from stupidity I think I'd be dead now with being a frequent user of the internet Lol.