Awoo.

3D Printing Adventures

TheChickenLobster

Hey all, the scary ChickenLobster is here with a little bit of an interesting showcasse. A showcase using my new 3D Printer that took 7 Months to get to me from the USA.

first off, started by going too complex: Printing Tails the Engineer (A model I made for Team Fortress 2 at one point)

turned out fine until... here

1_zps8f0d3717.png

The pelvis. Reason being It only prints upwards, so overhangs like the tails and arms do NOT work for a single model print. te=hey will need to be printed seperately then stuck on.

Then after chopping parts off him (arms and tails) I printed again, but ran into one issue...

3_zpsb36a1279.png

Okay, his face printed as a prism, but not too bad otherwise

Figured out the problem just now with my current print, details down the posts

Printed a couple more things but they are off-topic from Sonic, as awesome as they are. Nerf gun part mods, aesthetic shells for them. If someone gives me the OK for posting them then I shall. then again, this particular one I printed is one of my favorites

21_zps721444cc.png

Yes, an engineer body. Pretty high-res.

Right now, printing myself a sonic character. having to chop her up too but oh well, it WILL fit in the end.

I said she, its Rouge the Bat I am printing. the body is going well so far (shoes and up) so that is good. looked like the printer was censoring her chest at first but it was a part needing a small fix.

For those who want the brand, it is the Solidoodle 2.

• Thumbs Up 1

Kinda hard to make out the model from the pics, I'd like to see some clearer images if possible.

This  is cool though, I've always wanted to use a 3d printer, my college had one but it cost like £40 if you wanted to use it.

How much did it cost?

This one actually cost $500. Only thing is this company got a huge demand very quickly, and is a small company too. if you order one, it may take quite some time to get to ya.

The price is low because the software is freeware.

Edited by TheChickenLobster

I'd love to see how Rouge turns out, try getting some clear photos of her....Unless you're making her nude, then you can't post them hurrr..

Doesn't stop you PMing me them though! *shot*

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd love to see how Rouge turns out, try getting some clear photos of her....Unless you're making her nude, then you can't post them hurrr..

Doesn't stop you PMing me them though! *shot*

Had a little trouble printing and keeping itself standing, so I am now printing her with a base attached. It is the Generations model, posed lightly.

So far, its printed the base and halfway up the shoes, which isn't bad considering i started it an hour ago.

[EDIT]:

Ah, so, exposure on this webcam was doing that... issue.

Anyhow, here it is thus far, right now

23_zps1ddbe15e.png

So mind going into some detail about the process involved? Always been interested in these things, is there a limit to what you can print? Dynamic posing, or just free-standing figurines? What is the detail like? Can it print super fine details? :D

So mind going into some detail about the process involved? Always been interested in these things, is there a limit to what you can print? Dynamic posing, or just free-standing figurines? What is the detail like? Can it print super fine details? biggrin.png

I can, yes.

This printer's max size prints it can do is 150 millimeters cubed. It has an arm that moves around to place the plastic, of which this filament of plastic (comes on a spool like Thread does) feeds in, gets heated up through the nozzle (its currently at 200 degrees Celsius) and 'extruded' out the nozzle into a part-melted substance that can be placed, which sets quickly so it can hold its form.

There are little limits on how it prints, such as since it is an arm that only builds Upwards, it can't do overhangs like arms to a character or tails to Tails. you can make them, but you have to make them separate to the body and glue them on later.

The software I use with this printer takes my 3D model, Slices it to determine where the needle goes for each layer of the model as it builds upwards. This is a scarily accurate system, and you can set HOW accurate or thick/thin these layers are.

if you pose it then yes, you can print it, just keep in mind about overhangs. As for details I am pretty pleased with, as the shoes on rouge have small indents on them to do with the heart on the front and the heel-seam.

The plastic is also very durable and strong, let alone the way the printer feeds it in is very efficient, as in this statue will barely use much of the spool I currently got, which is HUGE, but got it fairly cheaply.

In addition, any program that can do 3D Design can be used for this. from 3dsMax, to blender, even Maya.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've see people mainly use the 3D printing for making Pony figures since they are solid and simplistic, was wondering how the process goes since I can't do 3D models, as i'm just an artist of traditional origins, I'm kind of a figure nut so was always interested in owning a personal character of mine using that style.

Here is the base body done, now to print the head, arms, and wings.

28_zpsf4b32c48.png

29_zpsf382b081.png

[EDIT]:

The head is making progress, just printing on a base that I can cut/sand down later so it will stick down

30_zps22ebba99.png

[EDIT2}:

Update, the head printed fine!

31_zpsec32c933.png

3D printing. That's cool. Never saw someone make fanart with that.

Rouge looks great so far. It'll be interesting to see you finish the figure.

3D printing. That's cool. Never saw someone make fanart with that.

Rouge looks great so far. It'll be interesting to see you finish the figure.

Heh, thankyou. Got the arms and wings left but that should be quite quick in comparison to the rest of the body.

Relating to the finish on the model that I have planned, I will actually be using Warhammer paints for the Enamel look, and I got a lot of those.

Anyhow, this is my last post for the night. I'll be seeing you guys later!

[EDIT]:

Rouge now has arms! one got a bit globby at the very end, but that can be fixed by being sanded.

IMGA0153_zps584b3df4.jpg

This means wings are  next, after my current print

wow, rouge is looking awesome  so far.

Can you only print the model, not any textures on top?

The printer we had in college could print colours it wasn't just a plastic model. There was a stormtrooper helmet for example and the model came out with the grey and black of the face.

wow, rouge is looking awesome  so far.

Can you only print the model, not any textures on top?

The printer we had in college could print colours it wasn't just a plastic model. There was a stormtrooper helmet for example and the model came out with the grey and black of the face.

Mine can only do single colours from the spool itself. Planning to paint it with Warhammer paints. Personally love the enamel of them.

Heh, thankyou. Got the arms and wings left but that should be quite quick in comparison to the rest of the body.

Relating to the finish on the model that I have planned, I will actually be using Warhammer paints for the Enamel look, and I got a lot of those.

Anyhow, this is my last post for the night. I'll be seeing you guys later!

[EDIT]:

Rouge now has arms! one got a bit globby at the very end, but that can be fixed by being sanded.

IMGA0153_zps584b3df4.jpg

This means wings are  next, after my current print

She looks great! Her hand posing and fingers look a bit weird though, but those legs, body and head! <3

She looks great! Her hand posing and fingers look a bit weird though, but those legs, body and head! <3

Heh, thankyou :)

as well as that, made a print to do with a certain mod I have created for a game, that is based off another game.

This thing http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e351/Kirbypop/IMGA0158_zps505aa14d.jpg

The 'SpyCrab' from Team Fortress 2. Originally in Team Fortress 2, but made this since a certain Skyrim mod of mine got weirdly popular.

So far, this looks really cool! I've been looking at 3D printing recently,and this makes them even better!