Awoo.

3D Sonic.......on 3ds.

Chaos Warp

So, as you all know the last 3ds Sonic game, Generations 3ds (or as I like to call it, Dimperations) was rather lackluster and mediocre  But, it was also a 2.5 D game. Now, the 3ds has been shown to be pretty powerful, and I think it could handle a full 3d Sonic game. Now, the point of the topic is, how could they utilize the 3ds to it's fullest for a 3d Sonic Game?

Myself, I don't think the 3ds could handle a full-on boost game, so I think it would have to be more adventure-styled (AND BY THAT I DON'T MEAN SA3). Obviously it should come with control refinements such as tighter controls at high speeds, a non-spamable spindash, a homing attack that bounced forward and up as opposed to straight up, and maybe a drift move., but Sonic would move roughly at his SA1 pace unaffected by stuff as opposed to his Generations pace.

Now, to utilize the stylus, we could have brief high-speed dodging sections that require you to move Sonic around with the stylus, like 06's mach speed sections but better. These sections could happen in the context of the levels, as in as opposed to it just happening, it happens whenever Sonic's getting chased by something, or he's chasing the Egg Carrier or something. You could move Sonic left to right with the stylus, tap the screen to jump, and flick the stylus forward to attack whatever's in front of him. These should only last about 1 min as to prevent hand cramps from holding the 3ds in one hand. When they start, there would be a brief cut-scene with some sort of symbol flashing as to tell you to get the stylus ready and to give you enough time to get it out. Same for when they end except this time you're putting the stylus back. 

As for the 3d.....make great 3d effects, but don't make it needed for the enjoyment of the game. I only ever use the 3d on my 3ds in short bursts ('cause it hurts my eyes), and the games still look good without it. You can use the 3d to make the speed feel faster though. 

Thoughts? Discuss!

• Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't want stylus play mid-level.  I'd rather have it be entirely stylus-based or keep that only for seperate bonus levels.

It's a real shame because I think Stylus play would be great for a successor to Secret Rings' gameplay, I find the Rush trilogy's special stages really satisfying.  But with the 3D graphics confined to the top screen on 3DS it'd be awkward to do now.

I certainly want the next 3DS Sonic to be fully 3D though, for sure.

Or they could make it like sonic colors minus wisp, but with more 3d, since the 3ds can pull off ps2 graphics quality/almost wii quality.

I can't say I'm entirely familiar with the limits of the 3DS, but I don't have a whole lot of confidence in it pulling off a full 3D Sonic game. It takes a lot to pull off a 3D Sonic, and while the 3DS isn't exactly weak I'm not sure it's entirely there yet.

Now, to utilize the stylus, we could have brief high-speed dodging sections that require you to move Sonic around with the stylus, like 06's mach speed sections but better.

I'm not sure how you can say this and not have your body instantly rebel out of revulsion. The mach speed stages sucked and superfast stylus control would be janky as all hell. Sometimes it's better not to use the gimmick.

Whilst I'd prefer them to stop using the apparent technical limitations of the 3DS as excuse for them to keep sticking to 2D, I just want the next 3DS Sonic game to be good.

Dimps' games were infinitely better when they were left to do their own thing, rather than being used to make sub-par second-rate imitations of the big console titles or replicate the classics (although the second point may be moot- they did do Sonic Pocket Adventure, and Sonic Advance stuck pretty damn close to the classic physics; the biggest issue with Sonic 4 is that they went with a modified Rush engine). 

I just wish some developers in general (not just Dimps in regards to Generations 3DS) would stop trying to hide behind the excuse of 'It's a handheld, we can cut corners because people expect less'. The 3DS is more powerful than the Dreamcast, for crying out loud. Maybe even the PS2/ GC (don't quote me on that, but I'm pretty certain it's more powerful than the PSP, which itself wasn't far off being a handheld PS2 in terms of power). If something would have been seen as lazy and unacceptable on those consoles, it shouldn't be let off the hook simply because it's on a handheld. 

• Thumbs Up 9

I can't say I'm entirely familiar with the limits of the 3DS

As powerful as and with similar control limitations to the Dreamcast. The problem is more how they implement 3DS design into the system.

I'm going to say right now that I do not have a 3DS and am not familiar with all the aspects of it, so if I come across as stupid, that's half the reason.  The other reason is because I kind of am.

I kind of don't see a 3-D Sonic game working in handheld form.  A smaller screen with detailed environments in a rear view perspective with such a fast-paced game would just be difficult, in my opinion.  It's a bit different with 2-D for reasons that are impossible to explain, and are probably wrong by default, but it just seems like it would be disorienting to control a game like Sonic Adventure on a handheld.

Also, I'd hope the 3-D element, as in the 3-D switch that you turn on and off not the three-dimensional perspective, would be an optional component because... well, every time I try a 3DS at Wal-Mart or Toys 'R Us, I run into the same problem:  My eyes don't perceive the 3-D.  I don't see characters popping out of the page or anything.  I just see myself growing cross-eyed.  I'm pretty sure all 3DS games have that feature labeled as optional though.

Edited by Akito

Also, I'd hope the 3-D element, as in the 3-D switch that you turn on and off not the three-dimensional perspective, would be an optional component because... well, every time I try a 3DS at Wal-Mart or Toys 'R Us, I run into the same problem:  My eyes don't perceive the 3-D.  I don't see characters popping out of the page or anything.  I just see myself growing cross-eyed.  I'm pretty sure all 3DS games have that feature labeled as optional though.

The 3D/2D slider is an external feature of the console and is optional on literally everything.  (Although games will occasionally use the feature for gameplay purposes, for example Mario 3D Land has a few puzzle rooms where they deliberately use perspective optical illusions that would be hard to decode with a 2D view (though not impossible).

The only "fixed" thing is that the slider doesn't work on photos/videos.  They have a fixed "setting" for the 3D so it's either on or it's off, one can't fine-tune it.

Edited by JezMM

The 3D/2D slider is an external feature of the console and is optional on literally everything.  (Although games will occasionally use the feature for gameplay purposes, for example Mario 3D Land has a few puzzle rooms where they deliberately use perspective optical illusions that would be hard to decode with a 2D view (though not impossible).

The only "fixed" thing is that the slider doesn't work on photos/videos.  They have a fixed "setting" for the 3D so it's either on or it's off, one can't fine-tune it.

Oh, that's right.  I think I remember reading something about that too.  Well, then, that relieves that concern.  Now all I need is money.  Perhaps I should start a fraudulent fundraiser or something.

I'd definately be up for some portable 3D Sonic action, with gameplay similar to Sonic sections of the Adventure games.

Perhaps it could be used to experiment with other ideas, like multiple characters, to guage the reaction to them in something that isn't considered a main title.

I wonder if they could use the gyroscope somehow. Special stages would be a good way to experiment with things. Maybe it could have something like Super Monkey Ball where you control the stage instead of Sonic. You know, only a lot faster. At least it would be something new after all these Sonic 2 special stage copies. 

As for the main game, I don't see any reason to shove touch screen or motion control gimmicks into the actual Sonic gameplay aside from maybe a few unique setpieces in some stages. It would honestly do more harm than good. Sonic games tend to be rather flashy with epic camera angles and springs all over the place so the 3D effect would probably compliment the Sonic gameplay rather nicely. As long as they don't try to shove the 3D in your face so much that it takes away from the gameplay anyway.

And yes, after playing Mario Kart 7 and Kid Icarus Uprising I'm convinced that the 3DS is more than capable of providing enough power for a good looking Sonic game. 

You mean, kinda like that?

Oh, I remember that.  I guess Sega/Dimps/whomever else should probably consider themselves fortunate that they released Sonic Rush late enough that most of us had forgotten about that by the time the game was released and it turned out nothing like it... although, in fairness, that's probably a good thing.

I'm not sure how you can say this and not have your body instantly rebel out of revulsion. The mach speed stages sucked and superfast stylus control would be janky as all hell. Sometimes it's better not to use the gimmick.

I just used the Mach Speed zones as a comparison for the base concepts, I really never intended for it to be exactly like that. I was thinking more like a mix between Unleashed dodging sections and Rush's special stages, as in you dodge and move Sonic left and right on a straight path with the stylus as mentioned in the OP, and it doesn't have to as crazy fast as the mach speed sections (obviously it should still go fast though).

And if you don't want it intruding with main gameplay, it could always be a special stage......

EDIT: DAMNIT JANGO

Edited by Chaos Warp

The video is just meant to show the concept of 3D running from A to B moving Sonic with the stylus (or your own finger on this prototype's case) like the OP says =P See, the DS can make Sonic run in 3D, and with more work this could turn into something interesting. Btw, I didn't know you could move things on the DS with your finger 0.o

INFECTED

*nomnomnom*

Edited by Undead Jango

Sorry but I too think that a 2d game is better.

Of course with 2d I mean more of a 2.5 like generations, but better. I mean I too believe if dimps is given the liberty to do a sonic game like they want it could end up being a better game like the rush series or the advance.

And for the stylus, I would use it on special stages or minigames. But I new kind of special stage please, I'm sick of tunnel kind special stages.

I also would like to explore more of blaze's dimension, the only games where she was important was the rush's and since I dont see them using the character on the console games. I think it would be could to explore that character on the 3ds games. 

I like the idea of 3D Sonic games on 3DS quite a lot, actually. Actually, not just on the 3DS, but on both modern handhelds. What with both being at least as powerful as the PS2 - and the Vita even more so - there's no reason why they couldn't. In fact, among all the things that made Generations 3DS a festering pile, one that kind of stood out to me was just how utterly asinine it was that the modern stages were still played  in 2-D. I mean, never mind gripes against the stage design or what-have-you - you do not "reimagine" stages from 3-D Sonic games in 2.5D when your console is fully equipped to handle it.

Really, if the 3DS can handle something like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIxxaaS7m2w, then surely it can handle the Adventure style of gameplay at least. In fact, I think that a return to that style of gameplay on a handheld such as the 3DS would be pretty cool, but they shouldn't be limited to screwing around with established gameplay styles either. The 3DS and the Vita do possibly have the potential to lead to some pretty unique gameplay styles for Sonic that, if executed well, could be worthwhile.

But if they keep outsourcing to Dimps for handheld Sonic games, whatever comes out is most likely going to be crap, so you know.

Oh, and by the way. Redhellc?

Your brain looks delicious.

Mind if I take just a tiny little...GRAAAIHGOFDHGOIDFHIOGFHIOFHGSOIHO

awwww snayup son y'alls just got...

I N F E C T E D

I wouldn't want a 3D Sonic game on the 3DS from Dimps, it'd probably end up being similar to this in terms of level design:

• Thumbs Up 3

I think it's certainly possible even if the levels are smaller, although I doubt they'd have to be and I think people underestimate the 3DS power. I think it could easily be a good platform for a game with Adventure style levels. I really hope they do make a game like that and not another Rush game, as far as I'm concerned we've had 4 already.

I wouldn't want a 3D Sonic game on the 3DS from Dimps, it'd probably end up being similar to this in terms of level design:

I bet a good wii port of sonic colors could work (I'm using sonic colors as an example btw) 

Look at Spider man:edge of time it's the full game on a handheld, only the graphics were changed and the difference is subtle.

Sonic generations modern sonic model looks pretty good from a 3d perspective, but it could obviously be better.

Edit: Now the quickstep sections would be a bit trickier, they'd have to have it like sonic colors or require the 3ds circle pad pro, since there's r2 and l2 buttons.

Edited by Sonana

I bet a good wii port of sonic colors could work (I'm using sonic colors as an example btw) 

Look at Spider man:edge of time it's the full game on a handheld, only the graphics were changed and the difference is subtle.

Sonic generations modern sonic model looks pretty good from a 3d perspective, but it could obviously be better.

Edit: Now the quickstep sections would be a bit trickier, they'd have to have it like sonic colors or require the 3ds circle pad pro, since there's r2 and l2 buttons.

The quickstep and drift sections can easily be mapped to just L and R.

Just handle them like Colors did - they can only be done in certain predetermined areas.

And I don't know about you guys, but there's no doubt the 3DS'd be able to handle a 3D Sonic game.

I'd personally prefer for the handhelds to get their own 2D series using hand-drawn art, and for home consoles to just get 3D games.

Though I admit it would be interesting to see a full 3D Sonic game for the 3DS.