Awoo.

a question about sonic the hedgehog

mr.007

hello everyone

how are you

i am a fan of sonic the hedgehog since i was a child, and i am happy to find a place where i can talk about anything related to sonic, i hope i can make friends here. 

i have a question about the sonic the hedgehog comic books and video games.

do any of the sonic the hedgehog comic books or video games discuss religion ?

and if they do do they tell us something about sonic's belief ? 

thank you in advice and sorry to bother you 

Nope.

The only religion in Sonic is found if someone looks at it on a critical/literary level.

In terms of 'Sonic believes in....' there is nothing at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Inb4 creepy muscled Shadow praying fanart.

Sonic only believes in himself and his friends.

Animals don't have souls so he doesn't give a shit.

Edited by Sir Dwayne

hello everyone

how are you

i am a fan of sonic the hedgehog since i was a child, and i am happy to find a place where i can talk about anything related to sonic, i hope i can make friends here. 

i have a question about the sonic the hedgehog comic books and video games.

do any of the sonic the hedgehog comic books or video games discuss religion ?

and if they do do they tell us something about sonic's belief ? 

thank you in advice and sorry to bother you 

The comics do. The Special Snowflake Echidna's worship Aurora who is their goddess and whenever Mobians encounter her in the afterlife, she takes on a form that said Mobian expects to see i.e Knuckles saw her as an Echidna.

When Shadow becomes King in one timeline, he makes Maria a Goddess to be worshipped. Even Sonic holds her to be a being of reverence and prays to her in vain for his family.

• Thumbs Up 7

I don't know if I can count a goddess created by Douche-La Ken Penders as being official, even if it is.

Edited by Sir Dwayne

A few of the games, namely Sonic Adventure 2 and Riders, have heaven and hell themed environments while Hell is also mentioned in Secret Rings (and Shadow the Hedgehog if you want to go down that route). But they're all just thematic things. There only actual religion found in the games themselves is in Sonic '06, where the people on Soleanna worship Solaris, some crazy fire eagle thing that can control time. Solaris is made up of two entities- Iblis and Mephiles, based the devil from Islam and German folklore respectively. There's no more or less religion in Sonic than in most other child-based media. And what is there is just totally generic.

I'm curious, why are you asking?

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 2

I don't know if I can count a goddess created by Douche-La Ken Penders as being official, even if it is.

You asked if the comics show religion. They do. And Aurora is confirmed to be a Goddess. The encyclopedia even states that she was the lover of the very first Enerjak who ascended to the Chaos Force. Jakky became corrupted in the process and would appear every so often to corrupt an Echidna opportunistically.

Whilst Maria...

2pyvo6v.png

...yeah, Shadow turns her into a subject of worship when he becomes king.

• Thumbs Up 1

Off the top of my head in terms of the games: There's existing gods and demi-gods, background fodder of divine punishment thousands of years ago, there's ghosts all over the place, a few religious terms like "Iblis" here and there, artistic Heaven and Hell themes for a few levels, and we get a glimpse of praying Muslims in one game. Otherwise, the franchise takes no hard stance on religion, either organized or in terms of personal belief. Any religious iconography it uses is just for art's sake as it is in most Japanese franchises.

• Thumbs Up 8

Outside of the series' own mythology, no, it does not deal with religion in any way.

And thank God, too. ;D

(i r so clevar)

But in all seriousness, considering that Sonic is a franchise geared towards children, it wouldn't exactly make much sense for it to deal much with the subject of religion.

Of course...that doesn't stop certain individuals from having their way...

6m4pupx.jpg

God_Has_Brought_Us_Together____by_Sonamy

tumblr_ln9px5R8of1qiyf4wo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_lnbj1tKsr51qkpphbo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ls01k6OARb1qkrm0ko1_1280.png

tumblr_lwf4fqUL5l1qiyf4wo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m0y8bsqmF11qiyf4wo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_matjq6FbDX1qiyf4wo1_500.png

And there's more where those came from...

...Well, someone was going to post those here...

Edited by Christopher Zombin

Various gods exist in-universe in the Sonic series, religion is mentioned in passing the People of Shamar in Unleashed clearly have religious beliefs involving the Sun and moon ( I think they worshipped them? I don't remember that clearly.). 

Sonic has no reason to doubt the existence of gods when he's smacked a couple upside the head and got offered chocolate from one, religion, unless there's a definition I'm failing to see, just seem out of character considering both this fact and the pretty much ubiquitous theme that Sonic bows to nothing. 

Edited by Mysterics

The Digital Dimension track in Sonic Riders as someone mentioned above is based on Heaven and Hell, whilst having visuals and audio on-par with the disturbingness of the Sonic CD humanoid Sonic thing. 

speaking of the comics, stc gave us the Tantaror, an alien race clearly based on ancient Egyptian gods

Tantaror.jpg

Uh, Solaris? How the hell did everyone except Crystalize forget that one?

Considering the game he/it appeared in, I wouldn't blame them if they did forget.

Also, there's Dark and Light Gaias from Sonic Unleashed, Does Chaos count as being a "god?"

Considering the game he/it appeared in, I wouldn't blame them if they did forget.

Kinda doing a disservice at the same time since remembering the game would serve to remind Sonic Team not to fuck up like that again, but at any rate...

Does Chaos count as being a "god?"

God of Destruction, if what Eggman says is true. 

'God of destruction' doesn't seem quite correct acording to Tikal, who attested that he is usually a peaceful creature, not destructive, but was driven mad. He appears to more of a god or at least gaurdian of chao.

He is also a mutant chao, which makes his status of 'God' questionable but chao are possibly supernatural creatures anyway.

You must have missed my post then.

Hey, OP, are you able to tell us why you're so interested in this? I only worry it might be for the wrong reasons.

• Thumbs Up 2

You must have missed my post then.

Indeed I did. I didn't even notice you made a post until then.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not much for me to say here that hasn't already been said.  There is loose touching upon religion, but it's all been fictionalized and such.  As for what Sonic's beliefs are, his heart is clearly devoted to the life-sized, bubble gum statue of Yuji Naka that he made in fourth grade and has been secretly worshipping in the shrine concealed within his closet for decades.  Uncle Chuck's been trying to get him to see a therapist, but it's hard to tame a boy Sonic's age, let alone with his kind of speed.

• Thumbs Up 1

hello everyone

I'm curious, why are you asking?"

Hey, OP, are you able to tell us why you're so interested in this? I only worry it might be for the wrong reasons."

well, I'm doing a project about comic books and literally topics, so i chose sonic the hedgehog as the comic book and religion as the literally topic.

thats why i need your help 

hello everyone

I'm curious, why are you asking?"

Hey, OP, are you able to tell us why you're so interested in this? I only worry it might be for the wrong reasons."

well, I'm doing a project about comic books and literally topics, so i chose sonic the hedgehog as the comic book and religion as the literally topic.

thats why i need your help 

A comic series based on a video game for little kids probably isn't the best subject to research for a project about religion.

Chaos was named after the being that birthed Gaia in Greek mythology and Gaia means Earth hence Dark Gaia and Light Gaia Von Chip.