Awoo.

TOME: Terrain of Magical Expertise

Jeffhog

Hark! The age you speaketh of has come!

For before thine eyes shines a topic heralding the glorious webseries that is...

~TOME: Terrain of Magical Expertise~

tome__it__s_serious_business_by_kirbophe

Now, what the crap am I up to now, you might be thinking? I'm here to talk about the incredible internet flash series known as TOME!

Those of you who stuck around Newgrounds a long, long time ago might remember a sprite series known as TTA: TvTome Adventures. Based off a roleplay on the TvTome website, TTA lasted for more than 70 episodes, spanning from 2004 to 2007, until the animator lost interest in it and moved on to other projects.

On the 11th of November 2011, Chris "Kirbopher" Niosi rebooted the flash-based series, and let me tell ya, it's a whole other beast entirely. Completely hand-drawn, an Internet all-star voice cast as well as numerous cameos... (JonTron as Sniperwheel, for one; the Continue? crew being drawn as TOME characters; etc...)

The series is influenced off the likes of .hack, Megaman Battle Network, TWEWY, SOA, all that good stuff, so chances are this could be right up your alley.

Of course, I'm only scratching the surface, so let's delve deeper into this series, shall we?

What is TOME?

In the year 2020, TOME is a virtual MMORPG that took the world by storm, becoming one of the most sought after games to date. Developed by Netking Software, the game works as a tool for both, well, gaming, and social networking. Players create their own avatar and immerse themselves into the virtual world that is the Terrain of Magical Expertise.

The realm is split into three areas. ;Lavendera is a purple, barren wasteland, existing solely for the purpose of battling, and is positioned on the eastern end. ;Sanctuary, the expansive forest to the west, is dedicated to social interaction for the most part. ;MechCity, located smack dab in the middle, allows for both battling and socializing, though players would be warned of incoming hostilities.

The series revolves around 5 users, and their ongoing clashes with the D-Buggers, a hacking organization dedicated solely towards finding "The Forbidden Power", a gamebreaking ability which can not only warp the user infected by it, but cause untold damage not limited to the virtual reality. Be it lucky or unlucky for them, The Forbidden Power has already come into contact with one of D-Buggers' enemies...

Main Characters

Username: Alpha

tome__alpha_by_kirbopher15-d4g1a4p.png

Class: Fighter
Power: Mythology

Voiced by: Blake "ShadyVox" Swift

The first of the main characters! Alpha here is the ofttimes shy and awkward but very nice guy of the group. He is a decent fighter with a jack-of-all-trades coverage through his Mythology power, though he doesn't see anything special in his own ability. It is not until a random encounter in the woods did he begin to change, though for better or for worse, no one knows just yet.

Alpha is pretty chummy and kind with his group, though he shares a bit of a friendly rivalry with the next guy!

Username: Kirbopher

tome__kirbopher_by_kirbopher15-d4i6ekm.p

Class: Swordsman
Power: Enchanted Sword

Voiced by: Chris "Kirbopher" Niosi

Next on the docket! Here we have Kirbopher (it's like Christopher, except curvier), a guy whose main interest lies in playing the game as it is presented rather than dealing with background drama or the constantly resurfacing hacker threat (recent events might have put a damper on his groove, however). He tends to seek out brawls with Alpha often, but the two usually get along pretty well.

As a result, Kirbopher comes across as the jerk with a heart of gold who tries to concentrate on the fun times rather than the needlessly heated times.

Speaking of heat...

Username: Flamegirl

tome__flamegirl_by_kirbopher15-d4t52z0.p

Class: Spellcaster
Power: Fire

Voiced by: Anna Kingsley

Watch it mister, she is not your ordinary match girl. Flamegirl is, arguably, the only "normal" person in her group, and acts as one of the team's de facto leaders - essentially the brain behind the soon-to-be-mentioned muscle. When she's not with the main crew, Flamey would hang out with her friends Whyti and Saturndiva over in ;MechCity.

She greatly enjoys the company of her peers, one Fighter in particular more than others. Flamey's friends can count on her during the dark times.

...yeah, you kinda know where this is going with how I end each description, but eh.

Next up!

Username: Gamecrazed

tome__gamecrazed_by_kirbopher15-d521lhf.

Class: Morphological
Power: Shadows

Voiced by: Casey Mongillo

Shrouded in mystery and the more secretive of the group, this user answers to the name Gamecrazed. He's the usually silent type, but he is a really good person, in truth. When he speaks, it's usually a matter of importance, though he can hold his own in a conversation.

Not much is known of him, seeing that he keeps key details of his own life secret. This was pointed out by the last member of the group, who knew GC since his very first log-in... the man... nay, dragon!, who leads the team in glorious combat against foul hackerkind!

Saving the biggest slice of ham for last, this guy...

THIS GUY RIGHT HERE.

Foul hackers doth be prone to bouts of jealousy, for he is...

NYLOCKE!!!

~DRAGON OF MANY MONIKERS!!!~tome__nylocke_by_kirbopher15-d53cpbb.png

Now let's add a bit of WHOOSH~!! on that cape there

Username: Nylocke

Class: Swordsman
Power: Ice

Voiced by: Martin "LittleKuriboh" Billany

Absolutely nothing could prepare you for the amount of ham this dragon alone brings forth. Over the top delivery, super strong sense of justice and adventure, the guy who's always in character: the Dragon of the Cold Steel is the longstanding pillar of righteousness in the group, and the team's apparent leader. He refers to fellow players as Sir, Lady, and in Kirb's case, "Squire". Nylocke completely lacks an indoor voice, which is played quite hilariously in the short "Nylocke's Day Off".

Also, do I even have to mention the amount of titles he's got? Dragon of the Cold Steel, Master of Last Second Improvising, Master of Obscene Punctuality, Dragon Sleuth of Many Mysteries, Dragon of Peaked Curiosity, Dragon of the Rolling Credits, Nylocke - Horrendously Violated Dragon... and it's only gonna grow from there.

So, if my enthusiasm from typing this whole thing doesn't make it evident, then I'll spell it out for ya. Since barely anyone else on the site knows of this, I wanted to break the ice on it. I wanted to share my enthusiasm on the series with you guys, so I figured I'd introduce it as well as I can. I highly recommend watching the show, so give it a chance regardless of what your presumptions against some of the people involved may be, because this is quality entertainment... at least, if you've got time for it.

And if enough people like it and enough interest is generated, then I hope this thread will last as a good enough place to discuss it amongst ourselves, to talk about the characters, recent events, predict on upcoming occurrences, that sorta thing!

Buuuut, knowing my luck on how long my own topics last when it's not TSS album-related stuff... yeeeeeeaaaaaaaahhhhh...

Episode Guide

Episode 01: You've Gotta Virus

- Newgrounds
- YouTube
Short 01: Hackers
- Newgrounds
- YouTube
Episode 02: Mansion Midnight
- Newgrounds
- YouTube
Episode 03: Highest Form of Flattery
- Newgrounds
- YouTube
Short 02: Traveler's Guide
- Newgrounds
- YouTube
Episode 04: Fraggedquest
- Newgrounds
- YouTube
Short 03: Nylocke's Day Off
- Newgrounds
- YouTube
Episode 05: Awaken the Beast
- Newgrounds
- YouTube
Short 04: Minigame Madness
- Newgrounds

- YouTube (coming soon)

The show's Facebook page would be your main source for any and all updates.

287947_0235275473-tumblr-mfxghec6.png

So yeah! Watch, discuss, share your impressions, and what not! Battle On!

• Thumbs Up 5

Hm...

Looks interesting. I'll have to give this a look.

Edit: Just got through the first 3 episodes. Man, is this GOOD!

Edited by Cola
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thought I was the only one watching this.

Looking forward to the next episode as always, wonder if Alpha will be back to normal by the next episode. :X

• Thumbs Up 1

Woah! I remember watching TTA aaaaaaaages ago. Didn't know they rebooted the series. Might give this a look. Talk about a blast from the past.

• Thumbs Up 1

So, I just watched the entire series so far. Great stuff, can't wait for the next episode. On that note, I now understand the concept of that Gemini Tournament roleplay.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'M NOT ALONE YES

Thought I was the only one watching this.

Looking forward to the next episode as always, wonder if Alpha will be back to normal by the next episode. :X

Not so!

Dunno if we'll be seeing much Alpha on the next episode, but Episode 6 is guaranteed to be a

Nylocke-centric episode.

Woah! I remember watching TTA aaaaaaaages ago. Didn't know they rebooted the series. Might give this a look. Talk about a blast from the past.

Do give this a look! Gogogo!

So, I just watched the entire series so far. Great stuff, can't wait for the next episode. On that note, I now understand the concept of that Gemini Tournament roleplay.

Right, I almost forgot about that... Not enough interest garnered on it then, so I will try again in the future.

In any case, glad you enjoyed it!

Speaking of theme... If you think Battle On! is catchy, then I got news for you.

Nylocke is getting one of his own.

There's also a string of ongoing eBay auctions for cameo spots during said music video. If you've got enough money to flaunt around (I'm talking hundreds), here's the link to the third one.

The first one was nabbed for a close 200$, the second one around 455$. This one is in between the two in comparison... at least for now. Two more auctions are to follow.

That being said, we've got a 2nd week of February release timetable for the next episode.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd forgot about this series honestly, if only because I never kept an eye on the schedule of it's releases. So I caught up and watched the remaining three episodes and I see we are getting an pretty standard tournament arc with a rival for the hero...yay.

To start, I wanna say I love how they've mad this series so far, the animation is getting better with each episode, and it's got an All-star cast as far as the Internet is concerned. But it's horribly cliched, and at times makes for a pretty boring premise. It's like every Shonen Anime premise ever, and most of the main characters are pretty bland as a result; Alpha is a bit too vanilla and of course has to overcome "The Forbidden Power" before it inevitably takes him over. Flamegirl just seems to exist to fangirl over Alpha, and the fact that the only interaction she's had with her friends was about Alpha really doesn't help that notion. GC is...kinda there. The only characters I think standout are Kiropher, Rockoon, and of course NYLOCKE, all whom have very distinct and notable personality traits.

The plot itself seems to ease it's way just like any other Shonen Adventure would; Lighthearted Monster of the Week plots before going into the serious shit....oh, and a tournament. It's predictable, but I can enjoy that.

I still like the series, I just think some of the characters can stand out more than they do.

• Thumbs Up 2

^ From what I remember, this is following the plot of the original fairly closely, which is why it's such a bundle of cliches. It's an idea conceived when he was younger and stupider, and he hasn't done a whole lot of revising for the new version.

HOLY SHIT LOOK WHO'S APPEARING IN THE NYLOCKE MUSIC VIDEO

OUR VERY OWN...

VIIIIIIIZAAAAAAAARD JEFFHOOOOOOOG

Edited by Cola
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'll show you guys the artwork up close if you wanna! Kirb dropped it over when I won the first auction. Since it's visible there, I think it's okay for me to show you! XD;

• Thumbs Up 3

I'll show you guys the artwork up close if you wanna! Kirb dropped it over when I won the first auction. Since it's visible there, I think it's okay for me to show you! XD;
As soon as I saw that name, I figured it was you. When I saw that artwork, though? Then, I KNEW.
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 4 weeks later...

If not next week. It's being shown tonight at Kami-Con during Kirb's Flashstravaganza panel (the second of two con airings), that much I know for sure. After that, there shouldn't be much keeping it from hitting the web!

I have to say, this is probably the best episode to date in like every respect: humor, heartwarming, and awesome all in one,and it's probably going to cement Nyelock as my favorite character of the entire series.

• Thumbs Up 2

I really loved this episode. Not only was it well written, but it also was interesting to see Nylocke...

break down his facade and realize that he couldn't just get through everything by himself, that he couldn't help kirb when he wanted to

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

So... you guys know that orchestral arrangement of Battle On! that was played at the end of Dragon Drama?

YOU CAN NOW BUY IT ON THE SERIES' BANDCAMP PAGE.

HOLY FREAKIN' CRAP, YES~!!! <3

• 1 month later...

Episode 7, Infectuation, is go!

Alpha has logged into TOME for the first time since the last appearance of the Forbidden Power. Flamegirl goes to check on him but is halted when her own issues from the real world converge into the game - in the form of an obsessive romantic pursuer. The stalker turns out to be another hacker on their own mysterious mission, and in the ensuing chaos the worst of the Forbidden Power is revealed. Can Flamey overcome this aggravating amour AND put a stop to Alpha's reckless rampage? Plus, how does Kirb fit into this mess!?

Written by Chris "Kirbopher" Niosi and Liz Losey, with music by Weston "Kajetokun" Durant and special guest musical performers TheLivingTombstone and Rocket Ship Resort. Starring Blake "Shadyvox" Swift and featuring special guest voices Micah Solusod (Soul Eater) and Chris Guerrero (Toriko). Join the adventure in the Terrain of Magical Expertise!

• Thumbs Up 1