Awoo.

Hubs worlds in the Sonic series

KHCast

Like mostly all of you, I like the Sonic Unleashed style hubs. They had a nice touch to them & were pretty open in the most part, I just wish they weren't so short. Sonic Lost World had a pretty boring hub map but at least you didn't have to go through zones in order =/. All in all, I just want a fun exploration filled hub map that has some hidden secrets & sort of acts like a mini zone in some sorts. 

I'm totally fine with hub worlds in the Sonic series, since they give the game a place to rest and explore landmarks at your leisure.

Something like the Unleashed hub worlds that have a lot of recognizable characters and a personality to them that allow Sonic to use his full move set to traverse through them faster would be the perfect hub world to me. Adventure's hub worlds are my favorite for that very reason, unfortunately they don't look visually appealing after 15 years.

• Thumbs Up 1

Did someone say hub worlds???? =D

I absolutely love them!! I'm aware that Sonic is always and forever a platformer, but I enjoy having a bit of adventure in my Sonic experience. Every time they included hub worlds in the series it always gave the game an extra sense of depth. It's not like Sonic and the gang are in this world that's void of anything but them, the doctor, and flickies. There's a whole WORLD to be admired and explored! That's cool.

Though, I can agree about Unleashed's hubs. As much as I love them, it would have been cooler to just GO to the locations instead of the Gaia Gates.

I can't say much of Sonic 06 and Unleashed since I have never played them, but I did like the hub worlds in the first Adventure game. =) Even sorta missed them in the 2nd one. 

As many people have mentioned, I think a good hub world is one that lets you have that sense of exploring, but also without forcing you to delay the game. A place to have fun or relax whenever you're not on a stage or level, maybe adding some mini-games around which aren't mandatory. It should also feel alive and real, so NPCs should react correctly to whatever event occur, sorta like the Adventure one, where they used to comment you about something recent that happened, but also it should be correctly animated. I also liked the day/afternoon/night changes that are linked with the events and with the stage you were going next, too.

So yeah, I wouldn't mind if those kind of hub worlds appear in a next Sonic game. =) It shouldn't be something that affects the gameplay, if they're done well.