Awoo.

Anyone remember some obscure cartoons?

Spin Attaxx

That and Talespin...and Quack Pack...I'd go on a list if people stopped beating me to the punch with other cartoons.

The Legends of Treasure Island

It was a British cartoon that aired on CiTV between 1993-1995, although no one else seems to have watched it. It was a retelling of the Robert Louis Stevenson book with anthropomorphic characters, and whilst it did stray quite far off from the book, it was an amazing series that got quite dark as it went on. There's not much information about it even online, although I'm pretty sure most of (if not all) the episodes are on YouTube now... I had to buy the pirate tapes before that so I could watch them all again unfortunately. tongue.png I'd still recommend it to anyone though, as it's still an awesome show to me even now. Shame it's so underrated.

There was also quite a well known voice cast despite how obscure the cartoon is, and it featured the likes of Hugh Laurie, Chris Barrie, Richard E. Grant and Dawn French in prominent roles.

And yes Delusphere, ReBoot was amazing! Not sure if I'd call it obscure as most people seem to have watched it or at least heard of it, but it's also still one of my favourite shows. It was so ahead of it's time, and also one of those cartoons that got more serious as it went on and just got all the more awesome for it. I'm still sad it ended on a cliffhanger. There was supposed to be a film trilogy in the works a few years ago, but Rainmaker has no mention of it anywhere now, so I assume it's been abandoned. Shame.

The most obscure cartoon I remember was this old educational CGI cartoon I used to rent out from my library when I was like 5 called Zap the Magical Computer, basically about an anthropomorphic computer with a hat that gains magic powers by learning and has to rescue the number 8 from an evil snake named Evol.  Yes, it's every bit as crazy and cheesy as that sounds.  There was only one episode, but it was pretty entertaining and had that awesome/hilarious 90s-ness about it.  It was actually kind of avant garde for a children's cartoon, being filled with movie references and 4th wall jokes that go well above the head of its demographic.

(the rest of the episode is on the user's channel)

Does it have to be a kids' cartoon?

I was always partial to Pond Life:

Edited by cosmictruffle

lol is Mummies Alive really that obscure? I used to watch it just for the intro, that was awesome.

I wonder how obscure this is now...

ExtremeGhostbusters.png

I remember watching CITV randomly one day and they were promoting this like crazy, about how it was back and better than ever and I have to admit, I was excited... and then it started.... and it made me angry.

It's also a shame too, because it did have some really good stories but I just hate the characters and the art style. If you watch the unedited first 2 episodes, that is a great idea for a story and it 'almost' ties in to one of the best episodes in the original series called 'Knock Knock' If you've never seen that episode, go youtube it now! Knock Knock The Real ghostbusters.

Now for the two obscure shows from me... one which is obscure to just about everyone... one which is obscure to people outside the UK.

Captain Zee and the Zee Zone.

This was a shown about how when kids fell asleep, a guy named Captain Zed and the dream patroll would patroll kids dreams to try and get rid of nightmares... it was a really fun show, and I loved the sheep in it.

But it's that obscure, almost nobody has seen it and even I don't remember any of the characters in it, for many years I thought the show was called 'captain Zed and the Z patrol.' heck thats what I searched when I was looking for it just now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq2KXudEjkI

BananaMan I'm not sure which way around this is, BananaMan is based off a character from the Dandy comic/BananaMan is a cartoon who got put into the Dandy comics. He's still around to this day, only now he's in 'The Beano'

Banana man is basically a rip off of superman, only... when the kid eats a banana, he becomes bananaMan, BananaMan can fly, has super powers and saves the world from danger I guess?

• Thumbs Up 1

^Bananaman started out in the Nutty before the cartoon and getting moved to The Dandy. I loved it when I was a kid, although it was one of those cartoons that didn't really hold up so well when I went back to it years later. Still love the intro though.

Oh yeah, one more that just came to mind... coincidentally I just found a VHS tape of this the other week:

Transylvania Pet Shop!

Not sure how obscure it is, although not a lot of people seem to remember it and it's another of those shows you don't even see much of online. It was one of my favourites when I was a kid, and just having watched it again for the first time in years, I actually still found it quite awesome. Nothing groundbreaking, but it's fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

Transylvania Pet Shop!

I could never decide if I liked this show or not... However... there was... amazingly, a Sonic cameo in this!

During one episode he gets into videogames and decides to go buy his favourite game "Cosmic der Warthog!" I think the episode has a lot of videogame references, would be interesting to watch it back now to see what was there.

• Thumbs Up 1

I remember renting this one:

Telebugs, a show about three robots with TV screens for heads... er, fighting crime I suppose? It's difficult to remember much about this one (I think I just watched it for the amazing theme tune =P). I found out not long ago that one of my friends also watched this. Finally, another person who knew what it was!

Edited by Pawn

Well, this was obscure to me when I found it since I never heard of it, but a few years back I got really into this cartoon called "Watch my Chops." It's also usually called Corneil and Bernie/Corneil et Bernie. It's just a simple show about a kid who dog sits a rich folk's dog that can talk, but it's a secret. Not exactly the newest premise, but it's pretty entertaining. The art is neat, the animation is great (well the first episode here is a bit rough), and I really love the music. Also Corneil himself is amazing haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huRm44tN2WE

• Thumbs Up 6

Check out Dexter Douglas 
Nerd computer ace 
Went surfing on the internet 
And was zapped to cyberspace 
He turned into the Freakazoid 
He's strong and super-quick 
He drives the villains crazy 
'Cause he's a lunatic 

My mother hated me watching this, but it was pretty freaking badass and I've never seen a cartoon break the fourth wall as much as this, I do believe the people who brought us Animaniacs brought us this show, since there was a cameo heavy episode with them in it!

• Thumbs Up 6

This show was everything to me when I was 4. Loved this show.

Oh dear, Marsupilami, I loved this show too =D

Also Freakazoid! My God, loved that show too. I remember it aired at the same cartoon block as this one:

And this one:

Edited by Undead Jango
  • Thumbs Up 4

Freakazoid, The Mask and Beetlejuice were all amazing. Was almost going to mention some of them in my last post but wasn't sure if they counted as obscure. Although on the fourth wall breaking shows, not 100% sure if this is obscure, but I'm going to mention it anyway considering those three.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRli1rRMoSQ

Apart from being the best video game adaption, Earthworm Jim was one of the most hilarious cartoons ever, and also pushed the fourth wall to the limit. I remember there was a whole episode where Jim was freaking out about how bad the show's ratings were getting and was more concerned about boosting them back up than dealing with the threat of the week. Watched them all again a few years back and it was even more hilarious than I remembered, probably because I got a lot more of the jokes now than I did when I was a kid. tongue.png

And also on the "not sure if it's obscure but going to mention it anyway" camp:

Street Sharks made me think of this straight away as it was another one of the many cartoons that jumped on the Ninja Turtles bandwagon, although I always liked this a lot more than TMNT if I'm honest. There was a revival a couple of years back, although it was nowhere near as awesome as the original show. Just wish they'd release more than the first season on DVD.

Some awesome nostalgtastic shows in here!

I think the one that springs to my mind is the Mysterious Cities of Gold - I seem to remember it kinda looked anime-ish but I don't think it technically is one. Basically it's a bunch of kids running around escaping from bad guys, trying to find said cities of gold. They also have some cool stuff like a solar powered ship and a golden condor-plane hybrid type thing. I loved it as a kid but when I watch it now I feel it's kinda annoying.

I do remember the last episode scared the shit out of me when I was a kid. Someone's face melts off! *shudders*

Another obscure favorite of mine was Bruno The Kid, which starred the voice of Bruce Willis as a child-prodigy who becomes a secret agent, but no one knows he's a kid since he uses a CGI likeness of Bruce Willis in all his communications.  Pretty clever show and I really enjoyed it.  I know there's some VHS releases of it out there, I need to pick those up.

Also, Visionaries.  I used to have a ton of the toys from that show with the cool hologram chest plates and staffs.  I don't remember much from it, but I remember enjoying it as a kid.

Was supposed to be a hit after the original Spiderman series. Sadly, no one wanted it and it was never finished.

Kind of like Sonic Underground.

Edited by Autosaver

No mention of Oggy and the Cockroaches? 

This was very popular overseas, but I'm not sure about in the States though due to only seeing bits of it before I found some full episodes to watch. I thought it was pretty funny overall though.

Oh and Bucky O'Hare has one of the catchiest intros to a cartoon ever. Edited by Kevin
  • Thumbs Up 2

Yes, so obscure I can't even remember the name of it. Does anyone remember how in the early to mid 90's, there was some block on Cartoon Network that showcased old Hannah-Barbara cartoons? (To maybe jog some memories, the mascot for this thing was this fat guy in a purple shirt that shouted "GIVE ME MORE!") Well I remember some show that I think was about a superhero guitarist. I'd be curious to find out more about that if anyone else remembers it.

Was supposed to be a hit after the original Spiderman series. Sadly, no one wanted it and it was never finished.

Kind of like Sonic Underground.

not-terrified.jpg

THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH FOR REMINDING ME OF THAT SHOW'S EXISTENCE!

Was Spider-Man Unlimited the one where he was on another planet? Mother of God, I remember everything now.

Anyway.

The wonderful little short lived comic series that lead to a series of games also lead to a short lived cartoon show, and it was quite good. Some episodes were conversions of comics but, there were quite a few original ones to see as well. I believe it was cancelled due to low ratings.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph
  • Thumbs Up 4

No mention of Oggy and the Cockroaches? 

This was very popular overseas, but I'm not sure about in the States though due to only seeing bits of it before I found some full episodes to watch. I thought it was pretty funny overall though.

Oh and Bucky O'Hare has one of the catchiest intros to a cartoon ever.

Shit man. I loved that show when I was a kid! It did suffer from the whole circulating the tapes thing so I saw like 10 episodes or so; my memory is quite bad so I digress. It did surprised me when Oggy won in some episodes too since the cockroaches knew how to outsmart him. But man good times.

Anyways I bet you guys won't know this one!

RubyGloom.jpg

Random pic from photobucket but who cares. Granted though Ruby Gloom is a more recent cartoon from Canada so I'm not sure how well known it is. But I did hear its popular in Japan which I'm not really surprised about.

I used to love this show but it ended and I moved on with life. I did love Misery mostly because she was the most hilarious character in the show, mostly because of her bad luck deal. But I suppose I'll just shut up and post the theme song since everyone is doing it.

Yes, so obscure I can't even remember the name of it. Does anyone remember how in the early to mid 90's, there was some block on Cartoon Network that showcased old Hannah-Barbara cartoons? (To maybe jog some memories, the mascot for this thing was this fat guy in a purple shirt that shouted "GIVE ME MORE!") Well I remember some show that I think was about a superhero guitarist. I'd be curious to find out more about that if anyone else remembers it.

The block you're talking about was called Super Chunk.

Edited by Kevin
  • Thumbs Up 1

The block you're talking about was called Super Chunk.

HOOOOOLLLLYYYY SHIIIITTTTT!!! Okay so I didn't remember there were other cartoons aside from old Hannah-Barbara stuff, but this is literally the first time I've seen this since the 90's so whatever. This is giving me a major nostalgia boner right now.

Oh, and I think The Impossibles might have been the show I was thinking of..but no, I remember a white costume. This one might require some serious research.

Edited by Speederino

Some awesome nostalgtastic shows in here!

I think the one that springs to my mind is the Mysterious Cities of Gold - I seem to remember it kinda looked anime-ish but I don't think it technically is one. Basically it's a bunch of kids running around escaping from bad guys, trying to find said cities of gold. They also have some cool stuff like a solar powered ship and a golden condor-plane hybrid type thing. I loved it as a kid but when I watch it now I feel it's kinda annoying.

I do remember the last episode scared the shit out of me when I was a kid. Someone's face melts off! *shudders*

This got a continuation recently, didn't it?  I remember reading that it originally ended on a cliffhanger that's now been picked up.

this is the best topic on the whole forum :)

Loved pretty much all of these shows posted when I was a kid, there's a few I've never heard of though.

My favourites as a kid were definitly Biker mice and Street sharks, such great shows, I loved them even more than their turtle brothers.