Awoo.

Sonic character's Hidden Depths

Vertekins

Yeah, no offence, but all you did was cement in my mind how generic and flawless and shonen heroy as a whole Sonic is.

Not to mention you actually made the likes of Blaze, Merlina, Chaos and Shahra look more like an actual deph filled character than Sonic himself.

• Thumbs Up 6

This is great and all, and it shows Sonic's depth as a character, but where's the negative aspects of Sonic to balance this stuff out? This just makes him seem overly perfect.

Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 5

*yawn*

Being a really super great heroic guy isn't really a whole lot of depth.

UuUuUugh who the hell cares? At this point I think we look way too deep into this. It's a cartoon blue hedgehog with a young demographic, how deep does it really have to be, jeez this isn't Marvel. 

This is great and all, and it shows Sonic's depth as a character, but where's the negative aspects of Sonic to balance this stuff out? This just makes him seem overly perfect.

You wanna see the negative parts of Sonic's personality and such? Sure, I'll get around to doing that :) Hidden depths aren't just about the positives.

• Thumbs Up 9

UuUuUugh who the hell cares? At this point I think we look way too deep into this. It's a cartoon blue hedgehog with a young demographic, how deep does it really have to be, jeez this isn't Marvel. 

"Who the hell cares" is not really something to say to begin your rebuttal. And what Chaos Warps said, though the main demographics is kids, it doesn't have to be shallow. What makes characters interesting is personality, traits, depth.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just because something is for kids, doesn't mean it has to, or has an excuse to be shallow.

Does it being shallow automatically make it BAD? I don't wanna have to do it, but look at the classic games, they're hailed objectively as some of the greatest Sonic games in the series, yet Sonic really doesn't say anything (save for the 4 meager words in CD). It's a game series, I feel the most important thing about the game is the gameplay. Another example is Mario, he's not praised for his personality traits, he's praised for his gameplay. As long as Sonic's still showin' his 'tude the designers based him on then I'm not seeing the problem, it's not a motion picture we're talking about.

• Thumbs Up 2

I know full well that Sonic is as deep as a puddle, and he doesn't actually need to be complex to begin with, so people need to stop pretending he is. The entire OP just restates the obvious and acts like it runs deeper than it actually does. We know Sonic is selfless and understanding. Now what about this is depth filled in the slightest? Not saying Sonic being shallow is a bad thing. Static characterization doesn't equal unlikable.

• Thumbs Up 4

Does it being shallow automatically make it BAD? I don't wanna have to do it, but look at the classic games, they're hailed objectively as some of the greatest Sonic games in the series, yet Sonic really doesn't say anything (save for the 4 meager words in CD). It's a game series, I feel the most important thing about the game is the gameplay. Another example is Mario, he's not praised for his personality traits, he's praised for his gameplay. As long as Sonic's still showin' his 'tude the designers based him on then I'm not seeing the problem, it's not a motion picture we're talking about.

Of course, but is it wrong to have depth (or want depth) in a character in a video game? Yes, gameplay is most important by a long shot but with new technology games now have the ability to tell a compelling narrative, and good characters and narrative can help draw you into the game world. 

And for the record, one of the reasons I like Mario less then Sonic (still love both though) personally is because Sonic has a more fun and likable personality then Mario IMO. 

Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 2

This is why I like the SatAM version of Sonic so much. Call him annoying or what have you, but I like that he has explicit flaws to balance out his skills and positive attributes.

That being said, that is a solid write-up, but it's a lot harder to find flaws in game Sonic, possibly because SEGA doesn't want him to be all that flawed. Idk.

• Thumbs Up 1

Another example is Mario, he's not praised for his personality traits, he's praised for his gameplay.

That's because Mario barely even have a personality to praise. That's what makes Sonic appeals to me way more as a character then Mario. Sonic has a personality. Mario doesn't.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 2

Honestly, what bugs me more is not the fact that he has these traits, but rather that the negative traits he is said to have seem to be only there for the sake of making it seem like he has flaws, or the things that should have some kind of doubled edged consequence if used in the wrong situation rarely get capitalized on. The end result is that he ends up feeling not too different from one of those...certain characters that shall never be mentioned.

I'll add more once I'm finished ordering pizza.

Edited by I R Lothar
  • Thumbs Up 4

Of course, but is it wrong to have depth (or want depth) in a character in a video game? Yes, gameplay is most important by a long shot but with new technology games now have the ability to tell a compelling narrative, and good characters and narrative can help draw you into the game world. 

And for the record, one of the reasons I like Mario over Sonic personally is because Sonic has a more fun personality then Mario. 

I agree. However, Sonic Team has recently shown that they are moving away from huge stories, which puts it right back at the gameplay. Sure there's new tech, but an epic narrative isn't the only way to draw out the world of a game or showcase a character.  (and I think you meant to say you like Sonic's world better than Mario...right? Confusing last statement D;)

That's because Mario barely even have a personality to praise. That's what makes Sonic appeals to me way more as a character then Mario. Sonic has a personality. Mario doesn't.

Not gonna lie, that's the same with me too. However, I just don't feel that a character has to have layer on layer of cinematic-level character to be considered good. Sometimes simple works. I can't help but think of Sonic 06 when I think of Sonic characters trying to be deep and complex. Remember Silver deciding whether or not he should murder Sonic to save everyone? I just don't think it should ever go that far in a Sonic game for the sake of trying to develop a cartoon character with a young demographic and such a wacky premise.

Edited by Extruder

UuUuUugh who the hell cares?

People who care about the story. If you don't, then what's it matter to you if we talk about it? 

how deep does it really have to be, jeez this isn't Marvel. 

Superhero comics aren't exactly a high bar, y'know. 

Does it being shallow automatically make it BAD?

Yeah, kinda.

I don't wanna have to do it, but look at the classic games, they're hailed objectively as some of the greatest Sonic games in the series, yet Sonic really doesn't say anything (save for the 4 meager words in CD).

Yeah, they're great in the gameplay department, but you're not going to find much praise for the story. That's the part we're discussing here, y'know.

It's a game series, I feel the most important thing about the game is the gameplay.

That doesn't mean we can't care about anything else. By this logic, why care about Sonic, the character, at all? Say, to the point of having a Sonic avatar?

but an epic narrative isn't the only way to draw out the world of a game or showcase a character.

Okay, so, what? You think that they should have games that explore the world and characters, but we're not supposed to care about it?
  • Thumbs Up 7

Honestly, what bugs me more is not the fact that he has these traits, but rather that the negative traits he is said to have seem to be only there for the sake of making it seem like he has flaws

This is the other main problem with Sonic as he has been written for the past... since Adventure basically. The various supplemental material says that he has various other aspects to his personality, but when do they ever actually happen? Him being impatient has basically morphed into "gets everything done quickly" rather than the annoyance that he expressed before, and the closest we ever see to him being short-tempered outside of Sonic X basically amounts to him furrowing his brow a bit more when something truly bad happens for all the difference it makes in his actions.

Even Ichigo of all characters got pissed off at things on occasion.

I'll add more once I'm finished ordering pizza.

A man's gotta have priorities.

Does it being shallow automatically make it BAD? I don't wanna have to do it, but look at the classic games, they're hailed objectively as some of the greatest Sonic games in the series, yet Sonic really doesn't say anything (save for the 4 meager words in CD).

Not being vocal doesn't mean the same thing as being without a personality.

Edited by Tornado

Okay, Sonic plays by his own rules which often happens to lead to right choices but when you think about it, isn't it kind of selfish? When he goes up against Merlina, he doesn't even tell her why he thinks Merlina is wrong. He just attacks her while shouting that he doesn't even want to understand her. He just wants to stop her. Isn't that kind of different to how he acted when Perfect Chaos was on the loose? There, instead of listening to Tikal and immediately sealing Chaos away and preventing further destruction from happening, he decides to go solo and calm Chaos down without even thinking about the destruction that is happening while he and Chaos battle it out. Is that truly such a selfless act? 

Another result of doing things his way is telling everyone else what to do. This is especially visible in those Sonic Rush pictures. Blaze has done things her way up to this point and apparently it has worked out. Then Sonic suddenly has the need to tell Blaze that his way of doing things is better. And what's worse, Sonic doesn't even live up to his own rules. After telling Blaze that it's okay to rely on others, Sonic just goes and fights Eggman all by himself while telling Blaze to stay back. And in that SRA picture it just looked like Sonic was trying to look smart but instead turned out to look like an obnoxious and patronizing moron. He doesn't really seem to rely on his friends that much when he constantly has the need to tell them what to do. Then again, that's just how I feel.

I think the overwhelmingly cynical responses to this topic are caused by the idea that depth has to equal angst or drama. The point being made here is that there's more to Sonic than 1) Sonic See Evil 2) Sonic Thwart Evil which is indeed a shallow and boring presentation of a hero.

No, the point being made with this topic was:

to dispel the notion that Sonic as a character is nothing more complex than the average shonen hero

If pointing out that the OP doesn't actually do that with the reasoning provided is overwhelmingly cynical and longing for angst and drama, then so be it.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 5