Awoo.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic:: READ POST 11156/PAGE 558

HunterTSF

Quick question: are the earlier MLP Generations (G1-3.5) still canon?

If so, then I have a book's worth of Wiki to wade through...

They are all canon of their respective gen, but they have no relevance to eachother as far as I can tell.

Its like the Transformers series, where all gens have the basic backstory, about two factions of alien robots that are waging war against eachother. But they are told differently each gen, same goes for the Michael Bay movie universe

(BTW Michael, I'm still waiting for my "My Little Pony Explosions are Awesome the Movie")laugh.png

They are all canon of their respective gen, but they have no relevance to eachother as far as I can tell.

Good. :D

Quick question: are the earlier MLP Generations (G1-3.5) still canon?

If so, then I have a book's worth of Wiki to wade through...

They are all their own different universes.

As an example, in G3 (and/or G3.5, I can't remember if there was any difference in the story department between these 2) Cheerilee and Scootaloo are sisters (and Scootaloo is an earth pony).

G1 and G4 Applejack are quite different in maturity levels (and don't make me talk about G3 Rainbow Dash).

But sometimes the guys at Studio B like to throw some mythology gags (or maybe not and they are unintentional), the latest one being about Rarity (acting like Princess Platinum) wanting to found the kingdom of Unicornia, Unicornia is the G3 unicorns' kingdom, leaded by G3 Rarity (an even more prissy and sort of incompetent version of her... Or so I've heard).

Can't be bothered to check right now but the mst important thing is, none of the previous gens are canon in this version of MLP.

EDIT: Espio'd.

Edited by gato
  • Thumbs Up 1

That reminds me of whenever the 4Kids actors go to conventions and spout off Yu Gi Oh: TAS quotes.

But it still weirds me out to see VAs speak in-character.

Edit:

15p5xtc.jpg

The money just keeps bouncing off of my screen when I throw it.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 2

That was really awesome.

Nicole's compliments of Rarity and Tabitha St. Germain made me grin. The whole thing was really fun to watch!

After a quick crusade for toys of the mane six I've come to realize how much tastes change.

Around when the first season was airing, My sister was determined to get the ponies that she liked, (I really didn't care for the toys then) but we couldn't find any of the mane six other than Rarity... and my sister and I hated Rarity then. Now it seems Rarity's grown on people (Including both me and my sister,) cause I can't find a damned Rarity in this damned town. Sheesh, When did Rarity get so popular? =P

Edited by the ORIGINAL recolor

Sheesh, When did Rarity get so popular? =P

When the fandom collectively reached enlightenment.

• Thumbs Up 8

So I went to Bronycon saturday (despite not really being a huge fanatic of the series, I can admire the enthusiasm that this fandom has. Also my gf wanted me to go with her and I wanted to shop in NY and blablabla). I was actually looking forward to seeing everything, but ended up somewhat disapointed simply because of the how utterly packed it was. Holy fucking shit was it crowded... I've never been to a convention where it was so packed inside that I couldn't breathe. We ended up only being able to check out some of the artist's alley and a bit of the VA panel. There simply wasn't enough space available.

Do not ever underestimate the sheer size and will of this fandom like the con organizers did. IIRC, they expected about 700ish people to show up. Needless to say... there were more, waaaaaaaaaaay more. The capacity in the rooms went far over the legal limit, which made hotel staff to throw a hissyfit. Thankfully, it seems like there will be more space (and the staff will be better prepared) for the next one.

Anyway news from the bronycon.

http://gawker.com/58...eet-at-bronycon

Oh lawd, we were behind this dude when we were waiting in line, haha. Pretty nice fellow, that man was.

Edited by gnth®

I find Nicole's take on uses of the character she voices intruiging. She obviously wouldn't be pleased at seeing Ask Princess Molestia, but she wouldn't try to stop it either. (Please no-one tell her.)

Edited by Gerku(snow)man

I find Nicole's take on uses of the character she voices intruiging. She obviously wouldn't be pleased at seeing Ask Princess Molestia, but she wouldn't try to stop it either. (Please no-one tell her.)

• Thumbs Up 2

I've finally decided...

To read Allegrezza.

Wish me luck; I have quite a backlog...

Initial thoughts: "Bastards, he's a better writer than me..."

Now I can't write the OctaScratch fanfic that I was going to do after the TwiLuna one.

le sigh

Yo dawgs, what's new in this threa-

*sees Tornado's avatar change*

You know, I came online today to suggest that it might be cool if you were to change your avatar to JJ's Celestia pic.

Mind reedah.

EDIT: Despite the shocking similarities in the opening line, I actually didn't even read Tornado's last post before posting this one. Wavelength...

Edited by eXtaticus
  • Thumbs Up 1

Fanfiction time?

FANFICTION TIME! ("short" edition 3: Electric Scootaloo 2: Scoot Harder)

Scoot! Scoot!

I've been a busy cat this week so I didn't manage to fill my usual fanfiction quota... Also, there was a story that turned out to be longer than expected.

Super Amazing Rocket Sled of Awesome: (One shot)

I don't remember a lot about this one...

It's pretty much another fic from The Descendant, which means you should expect the humor to be hit and miss, the guy assuming we know all of his fanon, so if you can get over that then by all means read this... It's enjoyable enough...

I was expecting more yodeling though. >_>

*not rated*

Allegrezza:

Seriously, they just bought clothes...

And it looks like it's ending in the next chapter...

It looks like the kind of chapters I would appreciate more if I read the whole thing in one sit (I bet I would've felt the same about some chapters of other fics if I didn't get another right after), there is some nice arguing and it's more obvious that they've already went beyond the 3rd base but I wonder if this story will ever have a "Climax"... There is no real need of such a thing since relationships aren't always tragedy and drama but with (apparently) 1 chapter left I'm just expecting something to happen...

But what could it be? A big reveal of a lesbian relationship in a high society event? Sounds dramatic. (Though Lyra already seems to have gone through that and she is going to play at the gala. so I don't know how much turmoil "Another one coming out of the closet" could cause).

As a side note, I never thought Octavia's bow tie was a fashion statement (is that the right word?), since all of the classic musicians seems to be wearing them...

I also wonder how the "earth pony playing music" thing could have played with other characters like Frederic, Beauty and Harpo. (not to mention those Octavia clones here and there).

Anyway,

White Demure: (Completed!)

So yeah, this fic has the same premise as Ponytales and I joked a bit about it in my last post...

It's a lite version of that amazing adventure.

Basically, Apple Bloom gets sick and it's up to the mane 6 to save her before she dies (and the disease spreads to any other pony close enough), Twilight and Pinkie must venture to the Everfree and get an ingredient, Fluttershy and Rainbow must go to a really tall mountain to get the other, Rarity and AJ must... Go shopping (sounds a little better in context).

So yeah, the "Ponytales lite" part comes from the characters not really go out of their doors, they don't meet new cultures nor face the unexpected (at least not in the world snake levels of Ponytales) nor there is some deep and developed strengthening of the emotional bonds (nor there are new superpowers)... So it falls short in some aspects.

At least Heitornos handed the princesses and Spike in a way better way than Jetfire.

*not rated*

The pony POV series:

This is the kind of fiction that makes you wonder if the one who recommended it to you actually did it in good will or hates you and wants to see you suffer.

A little warning, (like with FO:E) if you are the kind of guy/gal who let's a fic like Cupcakes stain your vision of the show I suggest that (for your own good) you stay away from this one. Ponies suffer here... A LOT.

it starts in a mild, almost disappointing way... You just see some short testimonies of the mane 6 as they get brainwashed by Discord... Not really that terrifying (the exception being Rainbow Dash, what she does here it's awful). There is also a part where Discord gives Trixie the "special treatment", this one triggers some fears in me that would end up being justified later (I don't like this guy's headcanon, it's almost the only reason I shall not shower this fic with praise).

Then the second part comes up...

After Discord's defeat things seem to be normal again, or at least they try to be, in this universe (will get to that later) Discord has left some serious emotional damage in the ponies (so yeah, Discord is not that terrifying IMO, what comes after him is what scarred me). I will now try to analyse the mane 6 per separated...

- Fluttershy is forced to deal with her discorded personality, since she was created instead of being an alteration of the yellow pegasus, Fluttercruel ended up being her own thing (and being her own thing, she wasn't removed by the harmony ray nor the memory spell), 'Cruel is constantly trying to take Shy's will, but the bearer of kindness manage to remain in control and decides to take care of "that little filly inside her"...

- Rarity had some changes, she was afraid of gems (and pretty much her own talent) for a while... She ends up discovering the true meaning behind generosity and learns to deal with her problems, that's it... Not really something big and pretty much the most clean of all the "healings" (compared to some of the others).

- Applejack is downright SCARY, I can't really remember what was her problem but she ends up in Canterlot where she is invited t behold "the truth", she becomes aware that there are many different universes where different things happen (this one being one of them), lot's of what if's are answered and those revelations can really break a pony, but Applejack is stubborn, she wants to keep watching, she will take everything...

She gets stopped before it's too late but what she've seen is enough to change her... She ends up as a truth detector and just seeing her can't reveal all of you to her... That's creepy as heck, I don't know if I could ever get close to something like that, and I'm almost disappointed the author didn't want to deal with that topic that much (outside of comedic shenanigans).

- Pinkie Diane is a funny case, she partied out to exhaustion (thanks to her friends hiding the caffeine and preventing that mere exhaustion becoming something more grim) and was forced to deal with her own inner demons in her dreams, apparently, Pinkamena (and others) were just personalities that the party pony created so they could store all the negative emotions, then, she could be always happy... she decides to accept the other side of life after being threatened to be devoured by AngryPie... Needless to say, her "healing" left a lot of ponies (and readers) dumbfounded.

After this moment Pinkie becomes able to weaponize her randomness, something that as I said many many times, I don't like. (at least not in a serious context)

- Rainbow is a special one (and a confusing one, I didn't really get the gist fo it so I'm just stating what I saw), since she wasn't so much discorded at the events of RoH... It was more like she just played along and waited for her friends to solve things while she tried to save Cloudsdale, she feels sorry for abandoning her friends (and the rest of Equestria) for such a thing and starts beating herself up for it, even if no matter what she did Discord would have twisted things in his favor, no matter if their friends already forgave her and the rest of Cloudsdale forgot about it... Even after trying to help Scootaloo to forgive herself she can't do the same. And that consumes her... What if she does the same again? What if she abandons everything she holds dear for something else and condemns the whole world out of a selfish desire... That ends up twisting her to the point she literally turns into a monster... her friends help her to get out of the darkness (though I can't really remember how)... She also decides to take care of Scootaloo and help her find her parents. (who abandoned her, BTW)

- Twilight didn't had a lot of healing for herself, she was more busy being the only sane pony and trying to heal Trixie, this is one of the parts of the fic I dislike the most: Trixie is special... I don't like that... I already told you guys before (long time ago) that MY Trixie is a boastful, liar but a perfectly competent mare (and a good friend if you ever get over her show ponysona), able to get things done with what little magic she has, a badass normal compared to more gifted unicorns... Here Trixie feels average, bellow average, pretty much trash that nopony should ever bother to deal with, and it's up to Twilight to try to get her out of there and help the blue unicorn to find who she really is (behind "The Great and Powerful" ponysona).

It turns out that Trixie is a second element of magic (never explained why nor how, bet that's some nightmare fuel still waiting to be revealed), she could do pretty much everything Twilight does if she puts enough effort into it, but this plays against the fic for me, Twilight's "everypony is special" speech looses any weight when the pony in question is really one and only in thousands (what happens with the rest of the ponies that don't hold an element then? Are they or not special? That's never proved, we will never know it because all the special ponies in this fic hold an element). At the end Trixie just hangs out like a random 6th ranger/Vegeta (with a bit of Shadow's angst and confusion about her self)...

As for the rest of the fic both Twi and Trix seem to act as different halfs of the same being (both being blessed and cursed in different things)... Not something I really like but... Eh...

Anyway, epic battles inside pony minds aside (most of them pretty good) this ends the second arc of this fic... Already hurt after watching the ponies go through that I'm ready for some calm and happy epilogue and a new adventure awaiting me in other fics...

I was wrong, there was another arc coming, and this one hurt me... Badly...

Did I ever told you that Fluttershy is my favourite pony?

The third arc starts with Fluttercruel taking control of Shy's body and going wild, during this little episode we find out how Cruel feels about her situation, she is nothing, she is just a random magic leftover leaved by Discord, she doesn't have a body, nor a self, she has nothing... After her little adventure, she realises that she could just disappear, get swallowed by the darkness and never be seen again, after all, nopony would miss you or notice you since you were nothing to begin with, you weren't even alive for starters...

Before disappearing, she decides to leave Shy a little message, a lesson per se, nature is not kind... What Fluttershy loves so much is far from her element, living beings suffer and die everyday so others can survive... Kindness is not natural...

Damn, typing this made me tear up a little...

What comes after is Fluttershy going through the same thing Rainbow did, she starts thinking her element is useless and gets quickly consumed by the darkness (but unlike Rainbow, there are no friends near to help her), Cruel realises about this and tries to stop it (this isn't how it was supposed to be!) but it's too late, Shy already made her choice, if the world isn't fair, she will change it.

This particular scene was the very first one who actually made me cry, watching Cruel screaming trying to reach Shy and failing hurt... And realising she got to do what "her father" never could was like the final brick falling in my head...

I guess hearing FMA soundtrack helped (the first anime, I still need to get Brotherhood's OST). I've been using

theme(s) for Fluttershy (these tracks are so calm and so creepy at the same time) from this point onwards,
(gives me a dreadful sense of despair).

The next chapters are about the mane 6 (minus plus one?) trying to get to save Fluttershy from whatever happens to her, In this little crusade they pretty much get to live their dreams and AJ (and Trixe) is forced to destroy her friends fantasies (not without feeling helpless for a moment and thinking how Twilight must have felt this way when she was dealing with the discorded versions of her friends).

Then they fight for their lives against Cheerilee who got promoted to some sort of Royal Guard with wings and able to summon butterfly knives (Rarity pretty much lost it here trying to get Sweetie back)

They met a chibi Zecora and are shown the Everkind forest (in all it's nice, kind, beautiful and nightmare inducing glory).

The get to the palace (and drop some references to a game I never bothered to play and make a big deal out of this in the story, which annoyed me a little) and met what once was Fluttershy, nowadays known as Princess Gaia, as Gaia explains her plans and ask for their friends for help (am I seeing things or were "the mane 6 minus plus one" also brainwashed as well here?).

AJ is a little conflicted, she just can't see any lie in Fluttershy's eyes, but then thanks to a mysterious voice (I believe it was Zecora, but later chapters revealing she was doing this out of free will sort of prove me wrong, was it Celestia then?) she realises that even fi there are no lies in her eyes, there are no truths either. She demands Gaia to remove her mask and then the other big reveal happens...

Nightmare Whisper, the kindest of lies...

A freaking monster!

Fluttershy became a freaking monster who is constantly hurting (and killing) herself in order to take away the pain from the others, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW4kjpbrPTg, with both Rarity and Rainbow thinking the best thing to do is pretty much putting Shy out of her misery, Twilight almost breaking trying to reach Flutter's mind (and making contact with all the pain and despair inside her) Pinkie pretty much doing everything she can to stop this, not wanting to see friends doing such a sacrifice, AJ trying to somehow reach the Nightmare while avoiding being erased by it. Meanwhile what once was the yellow pegasus keeps begging for this to stop, to let her do this (and a little foal inside her who keeps screaming)...

This was the second time I cried in this fic...

After coming out of her mindbreak Twilight decides this can't keep going and starts using the magic of the elements (each one appearing with one of their bearers), but sadly, there is no kindness in the group so chances are the rainbow might not be triggered.

But that changes when out of freaking nowhere (in a kind of scene that usually annoys me but for some reason made me go FUCK YEAH! here), really, pretty much out of the abyss of nowhere and nothingness... Fluttercruel appears to try to help the only pony who took care of her and was underservingly suffering for what she did... After some conversations something appears in Cruel, another element of kindness! which is properly used to "befriend" NIghtmare Whisper...

Now only Fluttershy remains, but she is still chained, and she still refuses to let go the other ponies suffering, after a both sad and heartwarming moment, she lets it go and free's herself (and condemns certain other ponies from a game I'm still a little annoyed for being referenced so much in this fic).

The ending is a little disappointing, Luna is pretty much the only one to punish Fluttershy (and if you read the alternate canons you realise it's just for some really stupid and hypocritical reason), the rest of the ponies decide to... Thank her?... I can understand forgiveness, Luna was forgiven after all... But to thank her for unintentionally doing something good out of her brainwashing, to still being reverenced by some as a princess? (and she might still be one)

I know some ponies (or at leat 1 in a crowd) hates her, but that's another extreme I don't want for her either... I would just rather forget about the whole thing instead of being in the middle of a bunch of ponies who think you are some sort of messiah despite the monster you have become and the ones who can only see the monster and not the pony...

There is also the fact that Cruel ended up in the same place she started, yeah, she has a cutie mark and a body tone color of her own now but she is still trapped inside Shy, I don't really see that as a nice ending for her. And TBH, I was expecting Shy dying and leaving Cruel behind as the new bearer of kindness. (I guess I was expecting a peaceful and redeeming end for Shy, but she will have to live and deal with whatever the author throws at her)

And let's not forget about little Flutterrage, still sleeping somewhere and not really explained what is she (probably like all the Pinkies pre-unification, I wonder if Flutters will have to go through this too)

And personally, I can't think Flutershy is THAT naive. [/more conflicting headcanon]

Of course, we couldn't forget about Diamond Tiara (who I intentionally left unmentioned untill now), she is still there doing whatever she is supposed to be doing after stabbing rarity for reasons I can't remember (I don't know what's inside of her, but the way it treats her looks like Loneliness to me), and it seems like there are some events in canon that will cause great changes here (if it's not the third alicorn it might be Diamond's father turning out to be a completely different stallion and a probably good parent, that would make big changes in this continuity),

This events also triggered another story surrounding Applejack... Which TBH I found kind of boring so I skimmed through it... Nightmare Mirror never seemed that much of a threat to me (she didn't even speak full truths) nor it had enough back story for me to care about her. Thankfully, this little story gave Applejack full control of her truth-vision, making her a little more like a pony and not... A living... Something above them.

So all in all this is a great fic, most of my problems only come from my inability to accept this guy's headcanon and there is barely anything wrong with the story itself except with how Fluttershy got through all of this and some other little exceptions (the great amount of grammar mistakes that even I noticed might be one of those), I know the ending left me disappointed but this is obviously not the end of the series. This fic really hit me where it hurts and now I really want to see these ponies earning their happy ending (no, what they have now is not happy enough, especially for the Flutters and Rarity who is probably still beating herself about Diamond Tiara).

Can't rate this fic but if I could as it is right now it would be 4 Stars.

And that's it for today! I had another story to post about but all that typing I did about Pony POV left me a bit tired... So come again next week when I will try to read what I left hanging from the previous week, a crossover that I'm postponing as much as the series it's based on, Celestia being adorable, some sequel of a sequel, Pegacorns! And a pony who tries make the world a better place by the collection of adjectives.

The pony POV series:

This is the kind of fiction that makes you wonder if the one who recommended it to you actually did it in good will or hates you and wants to see you suffer.

*makes recommendation while simultaneously saying that I had reached a point in the story (Links) where I was literally afraid of continuing it (and as I'm posting this have still not gone any farther in it)*

*person doesn't take warning seriously*

shrugAJ.jpg

Yeah, that guy's an amazing plushie-maker. We've got some "partnership" going on with me drawing the eyes for him. He made me a Derpy in return. Great guy.

If that Gilda was an auction and not a commission, the bids would probably shatter the roof.

He was posting pics in the thread over yonder as he was working on it. He even asked us if we could help find a reference picture because he wasn't sure how big Gilda was in relation to Ponies. Not to toot my own horn, but my sizeable Gilda collection came quite in handy at that point.

And you all laughed at me.

Yo dawgs, what's new in this threa-

*sees Tornado's avatar change*

You know, I came online today to suggest that it might be cool if you were to change your avatar to JJ's Celestia pic.

Mind reedah.

EDIT: Despite the shocking similarities in the opening line, I actually didn't even read Tornado's last post before posting this one. Wavelength...

We can take this shit over.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1