Awoo.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic:: READ POST 11156/PAGE 558

HunterTSF

Why not? Seeing the lead character go bananas is always a fun hook. XD

Honestly, I have no clue why I care so much about watching episodes in order, especially when it's a cartoon! : P It's one of those things about myself I just don't understand.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, I'm amazed there's still internet left to convert.

Welcome to the herd, Emerald!

• Thumbs Up 1

A character being clumsy with a lazy eye and somewhat slurred speech doesn't even begin to equal mental retardation

No, but when you have all of those traits in one character, a character named "Derpy" no less, it fits our cultures stereotype of a, well, "special" person pretty darn well.

Dont get me wrong, i dont think for second either that the makers of the show intended for her to come of as retarded, but it's understandable that people might view her that way (while not thinking twice about other stupid/clumsy cartoon characters) due to her displaying so many different traits that can be viewed as types of dysfunctions. I can totally understand how the fact that she is clumsy and appears to have somewhat of a lack of awareness and has a a slurred speech and a lazy eye can give people the impression that she suffers from som sort of major dysfunction that causes all of those things. In fact, that's what i myself thought of when i first saw her. I was like "that pony probably lacks a chromosome or something", lol. Once again, im absolutely positive that this wasn't intended, and i realize perfectly well that her portrayal most likely fits our stereotype of a retarded person much more than the apperance and behavior of an actuall retarded person, but even so.

Edited by batson

No, but when you have all of those traits in one character, a character named "Derpy" no less, it fits our cultures stereotype of a, well, "special" person pretty darn well.

No more than when you do the same thing and call a character "Ditzy," or when you do the same thing (and much more) and call the character "Snails." The only difference is that the stereotype that you are supposedly channeling changes slightly. The word "derpy" also isn't anywhere near widespread enough in its negative usage for that to be the sole deciding factor over the issue. Type the word into Google and the entire first two pages of results is about her, with the sole exception being the first Urban Dictionary definition (which basically just defines it as a synonym for "awkward" rather than anything mean-spirited).

When you look for things to be offended over, it is almost certain that you are going to find them.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 2

When you look for things to be offended over, it is almost certain that you are going to find them.

You dont have to look for a stereotypical retard in order to get the impression that Derpy is one.

But just to clear things up, i dont actually feel offended by the character, but like i said, the first thing that came to my mind when i saw the scenes with her was nevertheless that she sure fits the "retard" stereotype.

But whatever, i dont feel emotionally invested enough in this question to feel like i wanna get into some big argument about it. In the end, my main feelings for Derpy is simply that i think shes funny and i like her, and that's that.

However she still cant beat the undisputed king of cartoon derpy-ness:

Now that's derpy!

Edited by batson
  • Thumbs Up 1

I never interpreted Derpy as a retard stereotype. I When I saw the scene, she looks like a clumsy yet well meaning character. But I'm not going to ramble on that anymore.

Also that "True Brony" deviant sickens. I hate to see people like that. It's horrible words against homosexuals that gets me all pissed off.

On another semi related note, I hate the term "True brony" or anything "true *fan name* ". It makes me think of the rude narrowminded people in the Sonic fandom and that's not good.

On another semi related note, I hate the term "True brony" or anything "true *fan name* ". It makes me think of the rude narrowminded people in the Sonic fandom and that's not good.

QFT

I don't believe in the term "true fan," in any fanbase. All it does is make you look like an egotistical shmuck.

• Thumbs Up 2

While understand how some people can be offended by Derpy's characterization, what I don't get is how people seem to blame this on Studio-B and Hasbro instead of the brony community itself. Every trait ascribed to Derpy aside from her appearance as blonde-maned, grey pegasus with a bubble cutie mark was created by the fandom. We're the ones that gave her a clumsy personality, a love of muffins, a goofy voice and an offensive name. Even her 'derp' eyes are product of the fanon as it wasn't until her appearance in 'Feeling Pinkie Keen' that it became a permanent part of her appearance. And this is the interpretation that the fans desperately wanted to see appear as canon, so if Derpy sparks overwhelming criticism for the misrepresentation of the mentally handicapped, we have no one to blame but ourselves for not realizing the offensive stereotype and pushing the show’s creators to include it in the series.

Now we just need to convert Cola, then we will be complete.

That sounds like a challenge. LETS DO THIS

• Thumbs Up 1

Now we just need to convert Cola, then we will be complete.

Actually, IIRC Cola used to like the show, but then he took and arrow to the knee but then he kept talking about how he "snapped out of it" as if he was under some hypnosis or some nonsense like that. It's like he was scared away or something.

http://www.equestria...s-appeared.html

Don't know if talked about it yet, but Princess Cadence playset confirmed.

Hmm...a part of me is thinking that this wedding might be a flashback into part of Equestria's past or the like or some kind of storybook fantasy if it were to be an episode. Though chances are still high for it taking place in the season finale, if not, probably in Season 3.

Also, first brushable male pony? Why couldn't it have been Big Mac?!

Edited by AdventChild
  • Thumbs Up 2

So I've continued to watch the show as the day has gone. Seen the first four episodes now, and they were all very good. I've gotten at least one big laugh out of every episodes, and plenty of smaller ones. Overall, its just a really well made show.

Makes me wish that the last show I really got interested in, Kappa Mikey, had gotten as big a fandom. But nooo, too many people were turned off by the (admittedly terrible) fart jokes...

http://www.equestria...s-appeared.html

Don't know if talked about it yet, but Princess Cadence playset confirmed.

Hmm...a part of me is thinking that this wedding might be a flashback into part of Equestria's past or the like or some kind of storybook fantasy if it were to be an episode. Though chances are still high for it taking place in the season finale, if not, probably in Season 3.

Also, first brushable male pony? Why couldn't it have been Big Mac?!

I just want it to be known that the brushable ponies, while not 100% show accurate, are pretty cool. I only have two (Pinkie and Sweetie Belle), but I have a lot of fun playing around with their mane/tail. I definitely want this.

Edited by Nix

Makes me wish that the last show I really got interested in, Kappa Mikey, had gotten as big a fandom. But nooo, too many people were turned off by the (admittedly terrible) fart jokes...

Kappa Mikey had a great premise, but what really turned me off was the animation. The "anime" half of the show looked more like an extra-cheap animesque flash cartoon like Johnny Test than anything, and that killed most of the jokes dead from square one for me.

Anyone see this on Equestria Daily?151.jpg

Lets see here....

July= ... Oh my... O.O

14th =... Mother of God...

I'VE BEEN VIOLATED BY GRANNY SMITH!!!! D8

Edited by the ORIGINAL recolor
  • Thumbs Up 4

Heh, saw that earlier. Apparently I'm going to destroy Equestria with Lyra.

Of course...it all makes sense now...she teams up with a human to destroy Equestria, so that it can be reborn...as EARTH! And then, Lyra will finally achieve her dream, and become human!

Edited by ElementofChaos7

>July 9

>My birthday

Holy crap, I'm violated by Rarity. *flips over a table*

Edit: Being violated by a cartoon pony...what a terrible thought. Hahahawhy.jpg

Edited by Torcano Havoc

I suddenly wish my birthday was March 20th...

June 6th is not that bad I guess, I'll just have to settle with recreating the battle of Normandy on D-Day with my army of Mayor Mare clones.

I apparently went to the moon with Twilight Sparkle. 'Twas fun. We went in Kululu's rocket. :D