Awoo.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic:: READ POST 11156/PAGE 558

HunterTSF

I am eagerly awaiting to be attacked for this post, but... why do so many people like this show? I hear so much about it, and my friends and I gave it a try, but we all came to the conclusion that it's a little girl's TV show about ponies, and nothing more. We watched the first two episodes, then searched on YouTube "Best My Little Pony Moments" and all we could gather from both experiences was that this was a cartoon about ponies. I don't see what all the hype is about and I'd like a detailed response as to why so many people seem to enjoy this show. I'm not bashing or attacking it, I'm just curious.

I am eagerly awaiting to be attacked for this post, but... why do so many people like this show? I hear so much about it, and my friends and I gave it a try, but we all came to the conclusion that it's a little girl's TV show about ponies, and nothing more. We watched the first two episodes, then searched on YouTube "Best My Little Pony Moments" and all we could gather from both experiences was that this was a cartoon about ponies. I don't see what all the hype is about and I'd like a detailed response as to why so many people seem to enjoy this show. I'm not bashing or attacking it, I'm just curious.

Edited by PeanutButterDimond

Nah, don't expect bashing or attacking. A lot of us can all relate, me included.

Well, the first two (maybe three) episodes wouldn't exactly be the best to start off with. A friend of mine introduced me to this show - which I've also thought little about - and gave the first three a try. I wasn't hooked, so I left it at that.

Then I saw the exponentially growing fanbase it had behind it (and still growing), so, to see what all the commotion was about, I gave it another go, picking up from where I left off and testing the waters again.

I watched episode after episode because, frankly, I enjoyed them because they're fun, hilarious, tell a good story, and, well, coming from the person who developed shows like Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and the Powerpuff Girls which I have enjoyed in my younger days, it doesn't come off as halfassed. Believe me, if it were ponies alone that would get that big a following, MLP would've already had gotten all of this reception from the get go since 1983, but it didn't. If it were, you'd see all of us fawning over something along the lines of Barbie, but no.

Basically, there's more to it than just ponies, and seeing Best Of clips don't tell the full story.

Derp. My bad.

Edited by PeanutButterDimond

The way Celestia got trolled in that letter was just brilliant! XD Would I love to be the fly on the wall to see her reaction to that!

Anyway, I thought this was a pretty good episode. I really like the Flim Flam Brothers. Their character along with the musical number was a nice nod to The Music Man.

applebloomjump.gif

APPLES!!! APPLES!!! APPLES!!!

* OMG NUDE SCENE!!! THIS IS A KIDS SHOW FOR CRYI-... Oh, wait.

* Pinkie Pie... I really like her... mane?

* Added to the list of ponies who will kill Pinkie: Rainbow Dash.

* Another hour glass cutie mark background pony. This is getting out of hand.

* AWESOME musical number.

* Granny McFly. Make like and apple tree and git outta here!

* Honorary Apple Family. AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

* Uh-oh, I smell Rainbow Dash X Big Mac shipping. Why not? He's getting shipped with everyone lately.

* "I DIDN'T LEARN ANYTHING!" BEST END OF EPISODE MORAL EVER. APPLEJACK IS ALWAYS RIGHT!!!

* Flim and Flam suck.

Above average episode overall with easily one of the best musical numbers in the series.

Oh shoot, I don't have a clever and witty ending to this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY64meMb7-s

Edited by Snatcher2047

* Another hour glass cutie mark background pony. This is getting out of hand.

Are you referring to the one who flipped the hour glass or somepony else. Because the one who flipped the hourglass is the original Doctor Whooves. Except in a fancy tie.

Considering I'm probably the newest person here to become a brony, I feel like I should answer this.

I withheld watching the show for the longest time, since it was everywhere on the internet. I don't consider myself a hipster or anything, but rarely do my opinions line up with the mainstream.

> Implying watching ponies is mainstream

Err, nevermind. But anyways, I could tell the fandom itself was pretty cool, because my favorite servers in Tf2 were brony servers, and youtube poop got some really great stuff out of the show. However, I didn't try to actually watch a full episode until this week.

And well, yeah. It is just a show about ponies. Then again, you can say the Sonic serie is a show about furries, and leave it at that. Such a broad generalization says nothing about the show's writing or sense of humor. And that's what made me a fan, the humor. I've been a fan of animation, both American and Japanese, my entire life, so that's where my humor sensibilities lie. And MLP:FiM is just an overall good cartoon by the standards that I've set.

Are there funnier cartoons out there now? Maybe. Regular Show is pretty fucking amazing, and Adventure Time has a large fandom nowadays as well. But I'd say the ponies just have a bit more depth to their characters, and I like that. It's sort of like you get to know the characters a bit more over each episode, instead of just laughing at them.

If you and your friends don't care for the show, that's totally fine. No one's going to say you're wrong, because its all about personal taste. Because there really isn't anything inherently "special" about the show, it just happened to have good crossover appeal to an unintended audience. Any specialness is what we bronies attribute to it based on our own personal feelings.

Are you referring to the one who flipped the hour glass or somepony else. Because the one who flipped the hourglass is the original Doctor Whooves. Except in a fancy tie.

He's standing in the original line for cider around the 2:30 mark of the episode. I didn't recognize that one, but he may have popped up before. Also, did I miss it or was there no Derpy in this episode?

Edited by Snatcher2047

Okay, don't lie. Who was expecting this almost immediately:

120263%20-%20tagme.png

God dammit, I was going to make that joke.

Also I DIDN'T LEARN ANYTHIN'. See, THAT's why the show doesn't have the EI programming label anymore.

Edited by SuperStingray

You guys' answers make sense to me. I dunno, I just find it particularly annoying that you can't go ANYWHERE on the internet, including Facebook and such, without seeing pony stuff. It's annoying not because of the show itself, but because you just can't escape it. I'm sure that if there was an overabundance of, say, Jersey Shore memes and pictures, or if your FB friends started making their profile pictures Snooki and Pauly you'd get annoyed too. It sounds like a decent enough show, but the rabid fandom makes me interested to watch it less and less.

• Thumbs Up 2

You guys' answers make sense to me. I dunno, I just find it particularly annoying that you can't go ANYWHERE on the internet, including Facebook and such, without seeing pony stuff. It's annoying not because of the show itself, but because you just can't escape it. I'm sure that if there was an overabundance of, say, Jersey Shore memes and pictures, or if your FB friends started making their profile pictures Snooki and Pauly you'd get annoyed too. It sounds like a decent enough show, but the rabid fandom makes me interested to watch it less and less.

Eh, I can understand that somewhat. Although, I try not to let the bad side of fandoms get to me, because if I did, well, I wouldn't be a fan of anything, would I? There's fans one could call rabid in every single fanbase.

EDIT: Just wanted to add: like Legendary Emerald said, it's fine if you don't like the show. Just like any other show, either you like it or you don't. Nobody will hold it against you (except maybe aforementioned rabid fans : P).

Edited by ElementofChaos7
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm slightly annoyed by the ending of the episode, I knew the Flimflam brothers would lose, but did they have to do it in a way that made us lose all sympathy for them? Its one thing with Trixie and Gilda who were unsympathetic for the start, but before the ending of the episode the brothers didn't really do anything particularly bad or even jerkish, they were trying to run a business and even offered a partnership.

It would've been better if they accepted their loss gracefully and kindly moved out of Ponyville, but alas they were the designated villains of this episode.

The episode is still awesome, and enjoyable just that part of it annoyed me.

Its one thing with Trixie and Gilda who were unsympathetic for the start, but before the ending of the episode the brothers didn't really do anything particularly bad or even jerkish, they were trying to run a business and even offered a partnership.

Edited by Celestia
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'mma have to say that this viewpoint doesn't show understanding of what a snake oil salesman is. They were running a con from the start, and as soon as all the money dried up they would have left the town for the next one to do the same thing (as they were implied to have been doing all along and said they would do at the end of the episode).

It is even in their names: Flimflam.

Edited by Shadic Claus

Just watch Marge vs. The Monorail. It's the same thing.

The brothers showed up when the town wanted something. They promised immediate short-term benefits while glossing over long-term implications, and basically worked the crowd so that it was against the Apple family. Then they used that support to try and force the Apple family into a deal that hurt SAA as a whole.

Had they won, the brothers would have used up all of the apples that the Apple family had grown, and the second the supply ran out they would have abandoned the farm and moved somewhere else to repeat the cycle. The end result is that SAA is deserted, and Apple family has moved away, and Ponyville as a whole suffers.

And they would have done the same thing had the Apple family accepted their initial offer. It just would have taken longer.

Edited by Celestia

Just watch Marge vs. The Monorail. It's the same thing.

The brothers showed up when the town wanted something. They promised immediate short-term benefits while glossing over long-term implications, and basically worked the crowd so that it was against the Apple family. Then they used that support to try and force the Apple family into a deal that hurt SAA as a whole.

Had they won, the brothers would have used up all of the apples that the Apple family had grown, and the second the supply ran out they would have abandoned the farm and moved somewhere else to repeat the cycle. The end result is that SAA is deserted, and Apple family has moved away, and Ponyville as a whole suffers.

And they would have done the same thing had the Apple family accepted their initial offer. It just would have taken longer.

As a die-hard fan of classic Simpsons, it actually kinda warms my heart to see that even today cartoons still rip off the stories of the classic Simpsons episodes.

• Thumbs Up 2

*cough cough* They were both referencing the same thing *cough cough*

Edited by Celestia
  • Thumbs Up 1

Plus, MLP is a comedy show, so it can't really use The Simpsons as a reference, anyway...

• Thumbs Up 1