Awoo.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic:: READ POST 11156/PAGE 558

HunterTSF

This sucks! I mean, really, this is the worst thing this fanbase has done. We are losing the name of our biggest connection with the crew

And all because some people were oversensitive and had to send hate mail. Good job, Brony hate mail senders, you're the new Sonic fanbase.

• Thumbs Up 1

>People bitching about Derpy despite "Derp" not actually meaning mentally challenged and the fact that Derpy performed no actions that would suggest such.

>WeLoveFine changed name from Derpy to Ditzy.

>The name Ditzy is actually worse considering the situation.

Wat.

Edited by Nix
  • Thumbs Up 7

I'm part of the tiny fraction of people who sort of preferred Ditzy Doo as a potential canon name for the character before The Last Roundup happened (not that I've ever been super invested in her anyway, but whatever), and I still think this is really silly.

Edited by Octarine

Dear Hasbro:

The new name Ditzy Doo, or Ditzy Dizzy, or whoever you call her is plain and boring. "Derpy Hooves" sounds much cooler and is more appropo to her klutzy character.

Thank you.

-Dark Qiviut

P.S.: Plus, I'd absolutely HATE it if Hasbro would alter a name that helped create great communication between the MLP fanbase and the creative team. Changing it to cater to the soccer moms/trolls would be an absolute SHAME.

EDIT: I signed a petition that asks to retain the "Derpy Hooves" name under a pseudonym.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

As much as we all love Derpy, I hope the fandom doesn't get obsessed over this to the point where it begins to dissolve, or become an incensed hateful mob like the Legends 3 crowd. I just became a brony last week; it's too early for the ride to end!

/doomsday talk

Edited by Legendary Emerald

I SO DISGRUNTLED RIGHT NOW.

SO VERY VERY DISGRUNTLED.

I just bought a Derpy shirt in order to counter this villainous villainy, so hopefully you guys will too. I don't care if you don't have the money, just do it.

Welp.

http://www.equestria...py-overall.html

Right now what we do know:

This is the stuff that's been confirmed thus far, since a lot of rumors were being spread around based off of the vagueness of previous statements.

Edited by ovarloard

I SO DISGRUNTLED RIGHT NOW.

SO VERY VERY DISGRUNTLED.

I just bought a Derpy shirt in order to counter this villainous villainy, so hopefully you guys will too. I don't care if you don't have the money, just do it.

I'm going to recognize I'm a complete ignorant and I'm asking this question because of my already mentioned lack of knowledge of "how things work"... But isn't there any chance that those people who ordered Derpy shirts COULD end up receiving a Ditzy one?

Just asking...

Oh yeah, forgot not all of those shirts have text nor name the ponies on them, point is... I really hope none of this massive purchase strategy backfires on you guys.

As for my opinions on the matter, I'm just keeping my mouth and keyboard shut since there is no real info about WHY this is happening, and I'm not really sure where should I vent my rage what to make out of this.

Edited by gato

There's a bit of good news from Equestria Daily in regards to the whole Derpy controversy. DHX hasn't been affected by all this and it just seems Hasbro is targeting that one site for some reason. I still find it strange the episode was removed from iTunes though.

Edit: Found a screenshot of the e-mail from DHX from a post on a MLP forum.

Edit 2: Trixie may or may not be in season 2 according to Equestria Daily.

Edited by Kevin

Wow, I had no idea the Derpy backlash from a couple weeks ago was that strong. I'm not really one for merchandise though, so all that matters to me is that they don't change her name in the show. I was waiting for her to have a moment like that for months, so she better not get ruined just because a few people are oversensitive.

Well, screw those soccer moms and butthurt bronies up their asses then. I swear if I ever run into one... God, that pisses me off, I hate hate hate People who are easily offended and decide to write letters of complant.

Those people are probably never gonna show their damn faces either... I really want to tell them off so frickin bad.

I'm sorry, this is probably a silly thing to get steamed over, but one of my biggest pet peeves are when people blow things out of proportion so bad, that they force people to change things.

ugh... no, just no.

• Thumbs Up 2

There's a bit of good news from Equestria Daily in regards to the whole Derpy controversy. DHX hasn't been affected by all this and it just seems Hasbro is targeting that one site for some reason. I still find it strange the episode was removed from iTunes though.

Edit: Found a screenshot of the e-mail from DHX from a post on a MLP forum.

Edit 2: Trixie may or may not be in season 2 according to Equestria Daily.

All of that is old news from a few days ago, though. This particular bit of shenanigans didn't start until today,

A few years back, someone at a certain message board I went to claimed that the reason why companies don't take ideas from fans is because they could get sued by the same fans who came up with them, and that in order to prevent such a lawsuit, they'll have to pay a sum of royalties to the fans.

If this is why Derpy's getting her name changed, then...I think I just lost a little faith here. =/ I really hope not, though.

A few years back, someone at a certain message board I went to claimed that the reason why companies don't take ideas from fans is because they could get sued by the same fans who came up with them, and that in order to prevent such a lawsuit, they'll have to pay a sum of royalties to the fans.

If this is why Derpy's getting her name changed, then...I think I just lost a little faith here. =/ I really hope not, though.

Really? I've heard that people in animation can't read fan fiction or fan comics for the same reason, but I never heard anything about fan names...

Edited by the ORIGINAL recolor

Well guys, it's not all doom and gloom... Hashbrony made an Octavia model!

However, if his Pinkamena, Lyra, and DJ Pon-3 models are anything to go by, he won't release it to the public... but... it's still nice to stare at... I guess...

(Why 3D modelers consistently hoard their work moreso than artists of any other medium is beyond me.)

Edited by E-10000B

Really? I've heard that people in animation can't read fan fiction or fan comics for the same reason, but I never heard anything about fan names...

And I've heard that people in that field can't use fan names, but not that they can't read fan fiction or fan comics. STRANGE ISN'T IT?

That's actually kinda badass, but I'm not sure if Sonic can really represent all six Elements, particularly magic...but then I have a mental image of him having an epic battle with Discord and I can suspend disbelief. :3

• Thumbs Up 1

That's actually kinda badass, but I'm not sure if Sonic can really represent all six Elements, particularly magic...but then I have a mental image of him having an epic battle with Discord and I can suspend disbelief. :3

Edited by Sweecrue

Its funny I didn't know what derp meant, its not a term I use, I actually thought derpy seem like a cool name, could be worse could of call her retardy.laugh.png

Keep in mind that the element didn't activate by Twilight's magic.

It activated the moment she realized how much she cared for her friends.

Friendship is Magic afterall.tongue.png

Can't argue against that.

: P

Anyhow, looking forward to tomorrow's episode.

I watched the spoiler clip EqD posted, it's not really that big a deal (like previous episodes, it's probably a scene that will turn out to be fairly important, but spoiling it doesn't ruin the entire episode). I assume it's either the first scene in the episode or something in middle of the episode, but that's just me speculating. Seems like a standard fantasy sequence. I'm wondering if it's going to be the only scene like that in the episode or not. I'm definitely eager to find out!

Edited by ElementofChaos7

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/02/more-derpy-crazyness-on-tabithas.html#comment-form

Tabitha's blog has replaced the word Derpy Hooves with ____ . So it seems a name change is a high probability now. I kinda on the wagon with the whole 'prevent copyright' scenario with the word Derpy than fan-complaint. Though ever since her receiving talking scene and having that voice, I've kinda figured something like this would be inevitable. Besides, I don't care much for her anyway, and she worked better as a silent background "Where's Waldo" type character anyway.

However, everypony is really up in arms with this and jumping to conclusions like the ponies in Ponyville whenever they overreact to something to a point that it seems a tad ridiculous. It's not like the show is in danger of getting canceled or anything which is a true worry than for some background pony who will probably just have a name change (and maybe scene change in Last Roundup) and nothing more out of it. Yeah, I understand the whole "Derpy insults people with mental illness" is ridiculous, but fans overreacting and petitioning about Hasbros choice of Derpy removal without more information on it will just add more fuel to the fire.