Awoo.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic:: READ POST 11156/PAGE 558

HunterTSF

I just can't believe this show is getting fans that are in their 20s and 30s that are males! Its mind boggling!! I'm sure Lauren Faust had no intention or idea this would happen.

Almost all Sonic fans nowadays are either Teenagers or in their early-mid 20's...so yeah.

• Thumbs Up 1

^^Art of the Dress is awesome. Especially...

Hell, pretty much all of the music in this series is quite addicting. My personal favorite is Winter Wrap-Up.

Still, I've just lost all consideration for the meaning of demographics at this point. There are adults who watch Spongebob and kids who play Call of Duty. Yes, it's important for marketing and what to consider when creating something, but it doesn't necessarily hold true in practicality.

Edited by SuperStingray
  • Thumbs Up 1

^^Art of the Dress is awesome. Especially...

Hell, pretty much all of the music in this series is quite addicting. But I can't help but turn down the volume when the theme song comes on because my apartment has weak walls and I don't want my roommate to hear because NO ONE MUST KNOW MY SECRET... My personal favorite is Winter Wrap-Up.

Here, here. Everytime I am watching it quitely and my mum or Dad knock on my door I turbo minimize the screen and go into shifty eye mode. If I was a 20 year old female and I said liked the show they probably would mind as much. :(

Art of the Dress is based on a song by Sondheim, which makes it even more amazing.

Though I feel bad for the group, because now they have fans spamming their comments about how awesome ponies are. :P

Edited by BlazingTales

That's not true. Sonic's primary demographic was younger boys when the first game was released in 1991, and continues to be that group to this day.

Yes there are two markets Sega is feeding now with the whole "Sonic 4 for the retro gamer and Sonic Colours for the child" campaign, but based on the fact Colours had a bigger budget and was produced by the main teams, and that children named Sonic the best game, I would say kids are still Sonic's biggest fans.

I don't see why you think it's OK for a grown man to enjoy sub-par games staring a talking blue hedgehog but that same man is not allowed to enjoy a well thought-out series staring a diverse group of ponies.

We live in a judgmental society sadly, I don't see anything wrong with especially if you enjoy it.

And while Sonic's "target" was ages 6-11, its gained something of a extended demographic outside of the target.....kinda like how My Little Pony does.

Art of the Dress is based on a song by Sondheim, which makes it even more amazing.

Though I feel bad for the group, now, because now they have fans spamming their comments about how awesome ponies are. :P

Wow, that's really clever! This show is really well thought out. B)

We live in a judgmental society sadly, I don't see anything wrong with especially if you enjoy it.

And while Sonic's "target" was ages 6-11, its gained something of a extended demographic outside of the target.....kinda like how My Little Pony does.

Exactly! As SuperStringray said, demographics shouldn't mean anything if the entertainment is done well enough to be enjoyable by all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wha—?

THIS IS REAL? IT'S NOT A MEME?

*falls over limp in shock*

Well, it is a meme...in a way. I mean, there's alot of those meme generator images and stuff floating around the webz. But it's definitely a real show. =D

SO I have to ask a certain group of people in here, isn't there every a point where you say, "No, I don't think this is for me"?

they're a lot better than played out shit like "believe in yourself" or "be there for your friends" or anything a GI Joe-type PSA would try to put on us.

GI Joe was more about things like "Don't climb into abandoned refrigerators" and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1BDM1oBRJ8.

Edited by Phos

SO I have to ask a certain group of people in here, isn't there every a point where you say, "No, I don't think this is for me"?

I'm confused, Phos. Do you mean with the show or just about stuff in general?

Because I'm certain all of us say that to stuff we're not really into.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not sure if you're speaking about me and the others who defended the show, but in case you are...

Notice how we only defended the show when someone said it was bad because it's targeted at little girls. Lauren Faust's, the main creative force behind the show, mission with this show was to put an end to the mentality of girly stuff being synonymous with shallow, passionless cash-ins. And you know what? She's done a pretty awesome job of accomplishing her goal; MLP rules! But like almost everything ever, opinions differ. If someone doesn't like the MLP:FiM for a legitimate reason, then that's perfectly fine, no skin off my bones. But saying "it's for girls so it sucks" is not fine. Demographics bare no meaning if something is well done, and I wish more people would realise this.

Grownups — and this includes those of you who work as film critics — must stop watching children's movies and pronouncing them entertaining for adults as well. This generally happens most with Disney, Pixar and Dreamworks animated films as normally intelligent grownups (Gene Shalit aside) all crow about how fabulous these movies are.

http://www.wickedlocal.com/swampscott/archive/x124609719/DAN-KLINE-COLUMN-Movie-critics-have-lost-all-credibility#ixzz1HT6ussDb

That'll do, Mr. Kline, that'll do. <_<

Edited by BlazingTales

Of course. The thing with this show is that... well it's not made just for kids. Luren fraust herself stated that she made the show because she hated how crappy girl's shows are, and the show was made for everybody, not just kids.

If I may quote Walt Disney:

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

This sums this show's populrity up for me.

I hope that was a satisfying answer. It was hard to understand the context of the question.

EDIT: Also I agree with BlazingTales about how demographic means nothing if something is well made(which this show is) and how it's perfectly fine if the show isn't someoone's taste. :)

Edited by PeanutButterDimond

It almost sounds like he's being sarcastic, parodying the mentality that adults can't possibly find childrens' media entertaining or well-written. But Poe's Law and all.

Before watching: This is going to suck. There's no way this will be good...

Halfway through: Hmmm. This isn't TOO bad...

End: Wow, this new show is actually pretty good. I could watch this. *watches the next episode*

I recently heard a lot about this show and how good it supposedly was and that it had a large following of both female AND male fans. I thought, "There's no way in hell I could ever find something even closely related to MLP entertaining." How wrong I was. I love the art style, all the characters are INCREDIBLY likeable, the writing is excellent and the voice acting is phenomenal. I think I'm hooked.

And I can't be the only one who finds Fluttershy unbearably adorable.

• Thumbs Up 1

^ Haha, yeah, Fluttershy is so dang cute! Her voice just adds to the cuteness factor, it's so soft and calming... even when it's 'cursed'! :P

It almost sounds like he's being sarcastic, parodying the mentality that adults can't possibly find childrens' media entertaining or well-written. But Poe's Law and all.

If it was a parody then it takes Poe's Law to the extreme. His final statement is that he enjoys some types of childrens' entertainment (more specifically, G.I. Joe), but would never call it proper for adults to watch. If you're trying to write a tongue-in-check article about childrens' movies not being good forms of entertainment, then you are best off not ending it with such a personal, literal claim. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Even as a guy who was totally, shamelessly into girly toys when he was little, My Little Pony never made much of an impression on me. Maybe it was just one step too far on the glittery and pink scale for me, but I think my real issue was the ponies' lack of hooves. There was something in kid Octarine's brain that refused to accept high levels of stylization or asymmetry.

Anyway, it was mostly childhood hoof bias rather than fear of girly things that I had to get over before I watched Friendship is Magic, but the new character designs are adorable enough that that didn't take too long. Really, it doesn't usually take much to convince me to watch something like this; I'm very easy to sway with cute things, and I'm always eager to try out something new and different. My main issue now is just that I'm going to have to find time to watch the rest of the series amid the ten billion other things I'm trying to watch/play/read.

I've only watched the first couple of episodes of the series so far, and while I'm not totally freaking out over it or anything, it's definitely very good. It warms my heart a little to see such a mediocre toy-based franchise turn itself around and create something genuinely great. It reminds me a little of (sorry, G1 fans) what Beast Wars/Beasties did for the Transformers franchise.

My favourite's Applejack, for the record. She has an awesome accent and an awesome hat.

One thing I really like about the show is that it's cute, but it isn't forced. Like it just feels natural. The ponies feel naturally cute instead of "LOL CUTE!BUY OUR PRODUCTZ!!!!!". I really like that. They are just cute, nothing more about it.