Awoo.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic:: READ POST 11156/PAGE 558

HunterTSF

"Too Many Pinkie Pies" is a blasphemous title if you ask me. You can never have enough of the best pony. >:U Seriously though, that sounds like it'll be a hilarious episode. I guess since it's airing on the 17th (apparently), we're definitely getting both parts of the premiere on the 10th?

Edited by The Unnerving Umbreon
  • Thumbs Up 3

dat paranoic feeling of being observed.

>.>

<.<

Okay...

xGanj.png

"METAKA PUNCH!" edition.

That's a really obscure and odd Poniboru reference I'm making... I don't even know if I spelled it correctly.

The Pony of the Opera: (Completed!)

Since I am nothing but a cutureless (is that even a word?) piece of manure that was only raised by the best and worse of the internet... I must confess that I don't remember ever reading/seeing/hearing The Phantom... But that might be my memory because I could swear at the very least I've seen parodies/cartoon versions of it but I just can't recall any of them...

Still, silly things like "not knowing the source material" didn't stop me before and of course this one isn't an exception, so let's see how it goes!

I was frankly... Underwhelmed by this...

For starters the story is really short, I'm guessing the author tried to make it fit as an episode because I actually feel this could fit into 22 minutes of show... Maybe this is a positive if you look at it that way.

Still, I don't think it would be that much of a good episode anyway since it just feels like the Phantom ponified, most of the key points are there (I guess) but just with different characters, it doesn't have a flavor of it's own apart from some dialogue from Rarity (IIRC) and the ending (I don't need to know the original but I'm pretty sure it didn't end like that).

I know that if the people at DHX got a hold of this idea they would be able to pull out something unique enough... maybe I shouldn't ask for this to a fanfic writer but I've seen some of the crossovers this fandom can produce and yeah, I don't feel this one has anything that stands out (other than being so far the only crossover with the Phantom I've read).

So yeah, this one just feels like it's... There...

As a side note, I don't feel Fluttershy's voice was done for the Opera... I couldn't find a voice for when she is singing (but that might be because I'm musically retardy, since the author took the time to describe the notes and stuff like that).

And I almost forgot, this fic also wasted a nice opportunity to play with Rarity's cartoon racism towards mules .>_>

Rating: 2 Stars

Everypony Loves Rainbow: (Completed!)

I should feel bad for not knowing about the Phantom yet still be able to tell what this title is referring to...

I should...

Anyway! This story begins with a premise that is somewhat meta, what if everypony loved Rainbow Dash? And by that I really mean everypony! Like if every shipper's dream tried to turn itself into reality... At the same time! Sounds fun? I'm not sure if I should put this between spoilers but... It is!

Sadly, I missed that premise somewhere along the road (and I repeat, this is something I did, not the author)

Enter Rainbow Dash, future Wonderbolt, only pony alive able to do a Sonic Rainboom, Element of Harmony, multiple times savior of the land and the all around most awesome, radical and cool pony around!

And everypony is in love with her! This story shows us a day in the life of the most loved pony in existence, every single mare and stallion will go full on Creepy Stalker just by making eye contact with her... And they will do anything outside of (onscreen) murder to taste the rainbow.

The premise is hilarious (in more than one way, I'll get to that later) and the things Rainbow must suffer to do something as simple as get some breakfast have the right undulation between freaking hilarious and unnervingly creepy. All of this is enhanced by the fact Rainbow is the one telling the story in a very peculiar first person narrative, it doesn't feel like Rainbow is talking to you about what happened that day, it feels more like if Rainbow was reading the story at the same time as you (the Pinkie episode really gives that sensation) so she is as clueless about what's going to happen as you are. Which I find to be a really interesting way to tell a story.

Not everything is good though, the ending... Both of them feel so... Empty...

Somehow while I was reading this I missed the point of this story (let's have fun with Shippers!) and got the impression that I would at least get an explanation of how all of this started, what is behind all of this and how any of this would be solved so everything returns to the (often dreadful but sometimes comforting) status Quo (and maybe throw a joke of some ponies actually being in love with her)... but none of this happens... Maybe it was the Pinkie chapter that made me think this might have a story after all, but then the final chapter comes up and Rainbow pretty much denies every single possibility of that happening... I mean that... She pretty much goes and says she won't go an epic adventure, she won't try to find out what happened anymore and that she no longer cares how many ponies chase her around, she'll just deal with it... And that's the first ending...

It kind of feels like a cop out, the fact that Rainbow herself tells you this story will never go beyond what we have right now kind of stings too, and the fact she seems to fall in love with herself at the end is kind of creepy. >_>

But not as creepy as the second ending, this one tries to fit things a little more with the show but it does it in such an unsettling way that it doesn't really feel like FiM... At all...

Basically, Rainbow was full of herself and really delusional about the whole thing, most of the ponies who were "in love" with her and all their stalker-ish antics were just their friends trying to talk to her and snap her out of it, making her almost justifiable reactions at the beginning now feel unnecessarily violent. The story ends in a really downer note too, with her friends admitting they can do nothing to help Rainbow and hope the now mad pony somehow manages to stop herself...

Basically this comic taken to it's creepy conclusion... >_>

Maybe the worst thing about the second ending is that even with that twist it still doesn't explain the way Pinkie nor the Wonderbolts acted in their chapters...

So yeah, the author gave me 2 endings and I don't like any of them, I guess if I should pick one it would be the first one, since it was only because of me (expecting this one to turn into something that it was never intended to) that the thing feels like such a cop out, and it's because of that I'll leave this one without a rating.

As a side note, it was probably unintentional but it's pretty amazing how this one can be taken as a parody of Background Pony, it's follows a very similar premised (a character cursed by an unknown abomination) but at the same time they are pretty much the opposite of one each other (Rainbow Dash instead of a very philosophical Lyra and "everypony being in love for you" instead of "no one being able to remember you")

Minor Background Pony bellow:

It's even similar in the point that their pets don't seem to be affected by the curse

I'm not appreciating this story any more or less because of it, but it's a fun thing I wanted to point out.

*not rated*

The Steadfast Sky:

As I said before, this plan sure went to the drain pretty quick. XD

The story continued with the harmonic trio trying to get out of the city... Problem is... Celestia still didn't want to leave until she did something useful. (srsly? Celly is kind of getting on my nerves at this point XD)

Then it all comes down to Discord reaching an agreement with his "older brother" Ruin, it's a pretty odd chapter, is like... Ever seen that show when you get a villain that is hyped to be a complete monster and it turns out he is actually quite a likable character? Ruin is that kind of guy, he seems to care enough about Discord to be able to tell he doesn't belong with the rest of his kind and is willing to help him even after (probably) finding out his little bro will try to dethrone the current overlord. The fact Discord doesn't seem to like the guy makes this encounter a little... Odd as I said before.

After that we find out Ruin will not only help Discord and his friends to escape, but he will also open a breach in the wall to let as many ponies as possible to escape from the Stallions clutch-err... Hooves I guess. And to think all he's asking for is to give the book he's written to some library (or something like that, the details are a bit fuzzy in my head).

Having said that, not everything is as it seems... Since the whole freeing ponies so Celestia goes away knowing "she did something" was nothing but a lie, and that was part of Discord's deal with Ruin (at least now we know Discord isn't going to bear Honesty... Oh well... He somehow managed to be kindness after what he just pulled off too so I won't rule that one out yet XD). Also, that book has to be relevant to the story, I mean... it's the freaking Book of Ruin (it isn't called like that though, but I'll go and use that nickname from now on), I'll be disappointed of something like that doesn't become relevant later on.

My Little Alicorn:

I really... Don't remember a lot about this one...

Except for one thing.

How in the heck is that school still working? I mean, that institute where Douche went and Orange Peel almost get sent into?

I'm going to guess that for the sake of nobility and all that babble but Celestia could have done something about that in 1000 years (even if she didn't notice the harm til Douche became... well... a douche), Luna could have done something since that outdated institution is trying it's dearest to keep the protocol and ideals of nobility she (seems to) want to demolish since the first story.

The story is still fine and there is a little hint of something going on with Leon's "mother", but that little bit (together with Luna's character) has been bugging me for a while.

Background Pony:

If memories are all that's left me, I’ll gladly welcome whatever falls in their place.

So...

I was feeling quite me'h about the chapter, the first part was quite interesting dealing with Lyra's memory problems (and they end up weighting a lot in future events of this very episode) and the whole Scarlet/Mayor thing that felt a bit rushed (the whole scene in the mill was fine, but I don't think anyone who holds a grudge for so long can be all smiles in a matter of days) but then the final conversation with Nebulous happened... And yeah... I'll copy paste a video I saw in FIMFiction's comment section.

Because I actually had a pretty similar reaction IRL, except that it contained a lot more cursing in at least 2 different languages.

It's a wonderfully sadistic play... A family being reunited at the same time other breaks is just... it left me speechless for a while (after all the cursing), and Lyra's amnesia was used in an amazingly evil way to make that last scene hurt all the most... Hell, Lyra herself didn't want to play Twilight's Requiem so she could forget everything that happened.

Makes you wonder how much can she hold herself.. She barely has a single thread of sanity and hope right now... The only thing that seems to keep her going is that Nightmare Night is going to happen in a few days, and that's when Luna Eclipsed happened...

I hate love Skirts (all the homo) this story so much.

pinkiecrazy.png

Wrong Side of the Glass: (One shot)

I actually "liked" this one by accident on FiMfic XD

It's the story about a violinist who seems to suffer from a heart disease and has only a few days to live...

In this story we see a character who goes from hating Rainbow Dash (who I expected to be more relevant in this one) for having some silly dreams to regret wasting his very own goals in life in exchange of a mediocre life...

It seems like it's going to end there but then the doctor announces that he's actually improving, and he is actually given permission to leave the hospital, the violinist of course takes this miraculous chance to give his life a new turn, he ditches the mare he never loved, he buys the violin he always dreamed to get and tries to meet the mare he actually liked in a concert...

Sadly, it doesn't end like that either, his heart sickness comes back the moment he goes out of the music store and kills him almost instantly, he never gets to play the violin again and to make things worse he never get to meet with the mare he loved (and she is left waiting, thinking he ditched her again).

The point of the story is pretty clear but I can't shake the feeling there was something wrong at the hospital to let the guy go in a condition where he could randomly die at any given moment, giving hopes to the character and the readers like that only to be crushed in an instant was a rather... weak move from part of the author, I mean, having to give some characters the idiot ball just so he could deliver a point.

Then again, we are talking about the hospital that also seems to hold a mental institute inside (and not doing a very good job at it pinkiecrazy.png).

Oh Ponyville, you are such an organisational disaster! XD

*not rated*

Hay Loft: (One shot)

There is something that feels incredibly meta about this one, but it might me just me misusing the word. (no time to check in the dictionary right now, I'm having a surprisingly busy day IRL).

It also counts like one of these stories that appear at the right time and place.

Remember how a few weeks ago you guys were having a little talk about Applejack? About her character (or the lack of it) and how much most of us want her to just freaking solo song already?

This fic is pretty much that!

The story centers about AJ and how she keeps hearing a voice in her chest (I seriously thought this was some sort of repeat of a sad story I reviewed in my last fic post for a while), the voice of her heart... Who calls for her, who asks her to be more than just an apple farmer, and to sing... Because that's something she always wanted to do (but sadly denied herself to do).

I don't think it's that much of a good story, but it's something I can tell a lot bronies think (and wish) from time to time... And it's kind of interesting seeing the very same object of our thoughts sharing the same feelings.

it could also be related as the story of someone (anyone) who wants to be more than what they are in life right now, but for some reason that thought never crossed my head. pinkiecrazy.png

*not rated*

Whom the Princess Would Destroy: (Completed!)

Let's start by saying I have no idea what the title means (even after it was explained in the very first paragraphs of the fic). >_>

Anyway, this one is a quite delightful story, centered about 3 ponies (well, more like 1 and 2 secondaries) and their politic shenanigans to keep Canterlot from crumbling upon it's own weight at a mere visit of Twilight Sparkle to the princess.

There are many things I like about this one, for starters the humor is really well done, many bronies have compared Ghost's writing to Terry Pratchett's work (who I don't know at all, but you who do use it as a guide to know what kind of jokes you should expect). The characters, the world shattering situations they are being put in and the way they react to them is simply hilarious to read.

As an extra fun note, all of this story happens before Twilight's visit, we don't get to see the horrors that happens during it. (Except that Twi is hilariously oblivious to all of it)

There is one big thing I didn't like about the story, and that's the female character (Spinning Top)... She is frankly... Irrelevant to the story, most of the things she does aren't so important in the big scene of things (except setting the meeting that would turn interdimentional leeches into a fashion statement, true story), I also felt her character is also kind of flat (more or less like Rarity, without the nervous wrecks and all the fabulous flavor and little mix of virtues and defects that makes Rare pone the best pone). or course, you could count the whole conversation she had with the EqD writer (also, were those some stealth jabs at the site?) as her moment but I don't see it as somehing only she could do, not to mention that compared to what the other characters go through (and how they interact with each other, that's something else Spinning lacked, interaction with the rest of the cast) this one kind of falls short.

The whole first episode was also a bore to read, introducing he characters but not really doing a good job at it since most of the good jokes and dialogue doesn't start until chapter 2... I guess it was kind of necessary to show them as characters who can also be serious about their work (of course, all of that goes to the Tartarus the moment Twi is mentioned).

The whole Silverwing business also struck me not only as a pretty weird thing (really, the whole thing confuses me) but also unnecessary (it's not relevant at all to the story, so all that mind screw I had trying to make sense of it was for naught? :< )

So while it's a good, funny and quite clever story you will have to deal with a (IMO) boring first chapter and a character who felt more like filler than a true part of the story. If you can get over that (and maybe, maybe it's not as big of a deal as I'm making it out to be) I say go for this one!

Rating: 3 Stars

In Her Majesty's Royal Service:

I don't have a lot to say about this one (seriously, kind of a bummer than they are spending so much time in one place, I can only hope the rest of the travels are as expansive as this one and that Sagebrush uploads faster so it doesn't feel like this one is taking forever to be finished), but just as a reminder, I really love Sage's writing style, and all of you should read his stories whenever you can. :V

That's it. >_>

I really mean it, that's it. XD

Next time I might post about Luna going to the deep end (in the most hilarious way possible), a story marked as Complete when it really doesn't feel like it's nowhere near it's end, Gummy versus one of fanon!Sweetie Belle's worst nightmares and Fluttershy dealing with changes... I will also test how biased I can be towards Butt Stallion.

EDIT: Just so you know guys, I'm just making this posts and not really reading what you are saying, I shouldn't even be here because I want to skip spoilers but I really felt like I had to make this posts (The Playlist because it's something I always tried to do before S3 starts, this one to avoid the fics to pile up and end up wit me forgetting half the stuff I read and tearing my hair off to post about the other respectably sized half).

So yeah, I'm doing my best to avoid spoilers and I really appreciate how most of you are actually using the tags, just felt like thanking you for that XD

EDIT2: Annnnnd I just had to go and check EqD...

._.

Edited by gato

Season 3 Episode 3 Synopsis?

130607__safe_twilight-sparkle_pinkie-pie_applejack_spoiler-s03_season-3_spoiler-s03e03_link-in-source.png

http://tvlistings.za...0056?aid=zap2it

ViY7j_zps9817af4f.gif

Oh god, this is already the greatest thing ever.

Yeah, that's sounds hilariou-

Woah, wait.

Wait a second.

Do you guys see that!

DO YOU SEE IT!?

Pinkie duplicates herself with a magic mirror.

In G1, it was explained that baby ponies come from mirrors! The baby ponies were even exactly like the ones that looked in, just smaller!

http://mlplexicon.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=canon&action=display&thread=700

Well, it's good to know that older Gens are still getting references...

So, a new sneak peek image has appeared!

579206_426389214076833_320213746_n.jpg

"Ermahgerd serson freh!"

Only you Rarity. Only you.

Oh gawd, that picture! XD

Even Pinkie Pie's just like "....". XD

• Thumbs Up 2

"Ermahgerd serson freh!"

It's obvious that she just saw Tom making his grand entrance and reappearance.

Edited by AdventChild
  • Thumbs Up 5

"Ermahgerd serson freh!"

As if we need any more of a confirmation, Rarity is best pony.

And that episode synopsis! There can never be too much Pinkie Pie.

• Thumbs Up 5

"Ermahgerd serson freh!"

Nice to see that the ponies have gotten over all those mental instability issues from previous seasons. :D

• Thumbs Up 4

>S3 spoiler

Ah that old trope never gets old.

I wonder how cutie marks would work out for humans. How would CMC episodes work out if the ponies were humans?

58810_488760911154869_1454114435_n.jpg

xD

• Thumbs Up 5

Sorry guys... but it's time to die.

TAKE THIS!!!

IT'S NO USE!

I love how AJ's jams seem almost like camouflage with that color scheme. I WANT THOSE.

• Thumbs Up 3

And inb4 it's about Granny Smith or other Apple family members.

To Be Announced note Tim Stuby workedexternal_link.gif on this episode asexternal_link.gif layout supervisor, and has saidexternal_link.gif that "309 is 'overwhelming'"