Awoo.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic:: READ POST 11156/PAGE 558

HunterTSF

The song was amazing as always, so no surprise there.

I like how they left it ambiguous as to whether or not Scootaloo will be able to fly. And it's a good thing they didn't make it so Scootaloo was able to fly in the end, because that would validate the attitude that you can overcome your disabilities, whch would have pissed me off because I have physical disabilities of my own!

Scoots used to be my least favorite main character back in season 1. "Sleepless in Ponyville" and this episode made me love her. I don't like giving out numbered ratings, but if I had to, this would be a 4 on a scale of 0 to 5.

You know, I'm just going to stick to this list format. It's just a lot easier and much more convenient for me.

My Thoughts:

Pros:

- I really loved Rainbow Dash in this. She was way less of a driving force than she usually is and actually helped get the CMCs back on track. She played a nice role in this.

- Nice to get a new song. Though it definitely isn't one of my favorites of the show thus far, it definitely isn't bad at all. Especially the reprise at the end. The animations that played during it were also hilarious.

- That sunset lighting though. 0_o

- Nice to see a connection to Games Ponies Play. I really thought that was going to be one of those ideas that was introduced but then completely forgotten.

- Twist is still somewhat present. (No, I don't hate Twist like a majority of the fandom XD)

- Touched upon Scootaloo's inability to fly. Though, I think this is the closest they're going to come to addressing it. But I don't think that's a bad thing since this episode did a great job with it. I just don't see the show taking it any farther though.

-That last sequence with them rushing to the crystal empire just put a smile on my face. Especially that moment with Granny Smith. As DaBatGuy said, it's nice to come full circle with that gag.

Cons... eh not to much actually:

- I dislike how quick Apple Bloom was to just give up on Scootaloo in the train scene. It just seemed so out of character for her to just give up on one of her best fri... (thinks of Twist)... never mind.

-The opening scene did drag on a fair bit.

Plus, is it just me or is this the lowest amount of main six appearances in a single episode?

Overall, I really liked this episode. It's definitely one of the strongest in the season so far. Though, I especially can't wait for next weeks episode. Really hoping for some good superhero references as well...*cough*andluna*cough*

Also, is anyone else as excited for the Luna micro comic as I am? I mean look at this! I know it's my bias towards Luna but why haven't they made more episodes like this (or even with Celestia)? These characters could be so much more than what they are now. But hey, I'll shut up and enjoy the great content we've been getting. :/

• Thumbs Up 2

Eh, not to fond of CMC episodes and this is no exception. Though the episodes when it just focuses on one of the members tend to do well than when they're all together such as Sisterhooves Social and Sleepless in Ponyville. This episode is somewhere down the middle where the first half is about crusading while the other is about Scootaloo's problems. However, Sleepless in Ponyville levels of quality this is not. 

Well, things I liked was more or less, some moments of RD and Ms. Harshwhinny, the sunlight visuals, and return of Smowflake.

The beginning seemed to drag on a bit in the school setting and the song didn't do much for me. Also, pulling the bully card to cause conflict especially by the one-dimensional bullies was predictable, even points at episode's end was just as predictable. Honestly, I think it would have been better if the whole not being able to fly situation was developed by a self-realization than bully-fueled by DT and SS which is getting tiresome (makes me wish we get the obligatory "bully gets bullied" episode for those two). Heck, even as far-fetched as it sounds, maybe it would have been better if Discord was the one that brings in the flightless situation and 'helps' her in the process. It could probably turn the episode into a "Genie's wish/Dealing with the Devil" type scenario which would provide chaotic and more interesting results, such as RD and Scoots switching lives, etc.

Also, am I the only one who doesn't get 'the feels' for this episode or any other episode in this series for that matter? Not that I don't get 'the feels' for cartoons since I actually do get watery eyed when watching the sad moments of Adventure Time. So it's probably because out of preference, but also the sad moments in FiM are pretty tame and mild, most likely because of the intended demographic. Also, AT has more liberties/creative freedoms, subtler atmosphere set-up, and has better writing, dialogue and delivery which makes it very effective when compared to the other, which has good writing, but not as strong and sometimes feeling forceful/unnatural. Again with preference, I get much emotional when dealing with character death, heavy loss, and during a soul-stirring and rousing monologue/dialogue/speeches, especially, again, that needs to be well written and has impact without feeling too forced. The sad situations in FiM are mostly conquering fears and trying to overcome obstacles, which don't seem the situations that are tearjerk worthy IMO, well, maybe sympathetic moments, but nothing tear inducing for sure. Not to mention MLP FiM seems to work better in the 'fun/funny' department than 'sad/serious'. Not that it can't be done, just needs more liberties and the right writing.

So as far as CMC/Scootaloo episodes go, pretty meh and again, I prefer Sleepless in Ponyville over this. I'm much more anticipating the next episode with the superheroics so I'm hoping that'll be better than this.

Edited by AdventChild

Also, am I the only one who doesn't get 'the feels' for this episode or any other episode in this series for that matter? Not that I don't get 'the feels' for cartoons since I actually do get watery eyed when watching the sad moments of Adventure Time. So it's probably because out of preference, but also the sad moments in FiM are pretty tame and mild, most likely because of the intended demographic. Also, AT has more liberties/creative freedoms, and better writing, dialogue and delivery which makes it very effective when compared to the other, which has good writing, but not as strong and sometimes feeling forceful/unnatural. Again with preference, I get much emotional when dealing with character death, heavy loss, and during a soul-stirring and rousing monologue/dialogue/speeches, especially again needs to be well written and has impact without feeling too forced. Not to mention MLP FiM seems to work better in the 'fun/funny' department than 'sad/serious'. Not that it can't be done, just needs more liberties and the right writing.

Personally, I think Adventure Time's sad moments are hard for me to take seriously, since at times it comes across as not being able to decide if it wants to be a surreal comedy or tragic drama.  Not to mention it doesn't help that the art style and the characters are act too damn goofy in other (or even in the same episodes) for me to connect with them. 

Though to be fair, I don't think I've ever gotten "the feels" per se in FiM either, probably due to similar reasons as why I don't get them when I watch Adventure Time. And I do agree that it would be nice for the show to have creative liberties, but I don't think I would be able to sit through FiM with any drama and angst thrown in.  

In the end, I really think it all comes down to preference, like you said.  FiM is probably a little too safe for your tastes, I guess, which is something I can understand. 

That being said...

This was a pretty lovely episode. Probably not my favorite CMC episode of all of them, but definitely up there. I'm actually very pleased with the ending, leaving Scootaloo's future ambiguous. Though once again, Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon are probably my least favorite antagonists in the entire series of FiM. I actually was hoping they would get some comeuppance of some kind near the end, rather than just grumpily reacting to the Cutie Mark Crusaders' winning.  

Other than that, Scootalove is always welcome in my book, and this episode had quite a bit of it.

And...there's already a bloody remix of the song in the episode!

It hasn't been 12 hours.

Edit: It was actually uploaded about 6 hours after the episode finished.

Has anyone else noticed that the CMC sound older? I definitely noticed it in Sweetie Belle's and Scootaloo's voices. I'm curious where they're going to take the CMC as their voice actresses get older.

View at your own risk: Major spoiler for Episode 6

Don't flip the fuck out[well I hope you don't]

9f6.gif

I'm not even sure how to feel anymore. I feel more scared shitless than anything

UPDATE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq4MNpGIZJc

It's happening! IT'S HAPPENING!

• Thumbs Up 6

9f6.gif

I'm not even sure how to feel anymore. I feel more scared shitless than anything

Holy crap, Flutterhulk is canon?!

This is gonna be a really fun episode.

496823__safe_solo_text_edit_caption_ms-d

There are no brakes on the rate train...

G9TWN.png

Overanalyzing is Professional!

No, it isn't...

Right?

Episode 70: Flight to the Finnish

The episode starts in the school when Cheerilee introduces some very special guests for today's class, first comes no other than the head of the Equestrian Games Mrs.Harshwhinny! (really nice to see her back BTW) She has come to announce something but gets suddenly interrupted by Rainbow Dash, flying and doing pretty much everything in style! Dash finishes HW's announcement, it turns out the fillies and colts in this school now have the chance to become the official flag bearers for Ponyville at the Equestrian Games! You just have to do a very impressive previous routine to prove you are worth this very important role, and not only the crusaders, but also Diamond Tiara, Snips and Snails and that irrelevant background pony seem to be ready to take this on!

After the Intro Harshwhinny wants to comment about the details of the contest and how the ponies are going to be graded but she gets interrupted once more by Rainbow Dash, who wants to talk about more important things, like her! And how she was the best pony for the job! :V

gI7aEr5.png

Pictured above: Style!

Harshwhinny has to remember Dash that she's being paid to represent the professionalism and transparency of the EG committee, Dash quickly remember she's working with a mare she used to be very aware of, so she contains her excitement a little... Or at least she tries...

I could agree this scene was kinda long but seeing these 2 banter was delightful.

The Crusaders are already planning in how to compete for this thing, but they must have to come up with something that represents Ponyville, which is when Scootaloo realizes that Ponyville (despite starting as an Earth Pony settlement) it's a place where all kinds of ponies can live together and be friends, which coincidentally also work for the Crusaders as a group! They start wondering how much it will take to get the idea across, but scoots is also confident that they'll be able to do it...

*cue song*

496765__safe_scootaloo_apple+bloom_sweet

Directed by J. J. Abrams.

Interesting musical style we got here, different than the more pop-like or upbeat sounds we've heard coming from the fillies, which makes it all the more interesting. For some reason I'm not so fond about the use of the word Horse in here, but it's hardly anything worth complaining about...

Also, Snowflake is afraid of butterflies for some reason... My headcanon is that he had a very bad experience with New!Fluttershy back in Season 2 and was never able to get over it. :U

Anyway! Once the musical scene is done we got some very fun scenes, first of all the fact that the musical powers makes the Crusaders forget there is something called gravity (which also explains why Twi was able to fly just fine in MMC), followed by a nasty doze of sarcastic clapping and which might be my favorite part, which is when Scootaloo tries to sing again but it sounds awful because the musical power wore off a few seconds ago. XD Bu the scene continues, the bitch duo has already showed up and is trying to (once more) demoralize the Crusaders but it turns out the blank flank teasing got old in universe so none of the CMC are even fazed about it, the act ends with both groups ready to face off in the competition.

The next day we are already on a stage where all the ponies are showing their routines, we catch this just as the crusaders are going to start, and it was.... Good... I mean, it felt a lot less ambitious they most of the things we've seen in the show (and I think also some other things done by themselves before) and certainly less grandiose, but at least they got it right this time. They probably also had a bigger budget than most of the other participants (whit the only exception being the bitch duo), I guess being sisters with a top fashion designer and a land owner comes with some benefits (and Scoots doesn't lag behind, pay attention to her room later)...

But anyway! They got a good enough performance for the show, a very good one if Dash's withheld excitement and Tiara's surprise are to be believed, as a matter of fact, Tiara thinks there might be a chance that they might win the competition so she decides to morally abuse the CMC again, but if the old tricks don't seem to work anymore, what do?

The next scene we see our favorite fillies wrapping things up but then the bitch duo shows up to compliment them... Well, not really, they compliment how brave (I think the proper word would have been bold, daring or audacious) the CMC are for representing the 3 pony races with a Pegasus who can't fly at all! (nor a unicorn who knows much magic, but Sweetie's part on the routine wasn't so important so...) The Crusaders try to fight back but Scootaloo was hit by their little remark, the fact that there were 2 other poneis of her age flying next the them might not have helped. It's so that Scoots decides that if they want to have a chance to win this she'll have to fly!

Which is easier said than done, they spend the entire day practicing but none of them manage to get anything significant done, AB and Sweetie are too tired to keep going and despite the fact Scootalloo wants to keep trying she haven't achieved a thing since the morning. By the next day the Crusaders try their routine again but between Scootaloo's insistence that flying is the only way to win this and the other ponies lack of rest the whole thing crashes horribly. Despite Dash seeing this and pretty much telling them than their previous act was better Scoot keeps thinking about flying, the there CMC got fed up with this and leave so scoots decides to keep going alone... She tries again, again and again... After pretty much another night of training with no results she gives up (I think this scene could have hit harder if she actually sounded sad about this, here she just heard fired).

By the next day the Crusaders meet at the train station but Scootaloo announced she won't go because they are better off without her, Sweetie objects about this but Apple Bloom doesn't seem to be in the mood for this so they decided to leave the Pegasus filly behind.

The last act starts on the train with the Crusaders wondering how are they going to pull their routine with the main member MIA but soon those thoughts get set aside when Dash shows up and confesses their routine is a favorite to win the contest, the CMC tell Dash about how Scoot didn't want to come, then Dash asks them if they tried to reason with her but Sweetie answers that they pretty much told her off for being a quitter... This strikes a nerve in the (subjectively) always loyal pony, who pretty much tells Sweetie and AB how they should never leave a friend behind, proceeds to stop the train and go to Scoot's house to fix this mess.

Meanwhile Scootaloo seems to be in "fuck everything mode", Dash's party arrives and tries to reason with her, Scootaloo keeps insisting that Pegasus are meant to be fly (which means she either forgot about Fluttershy or considers her a weirdo :U ), but Dash points that it doesn't matter if she can fly or not, that Scoots is an awesome pony for many other reasons. Besides, the 3 crusaders working together was a perfect representation of what Ponyville is all about.

*cue the same song we've heard before*

Which was pretty cool so I don't mind at all. What is worth pointing out is that musical power up is back in full motion! Which allowed Scootaloo to travel all the way to the Crystal Empire and made it in good enough shape to win the contest! The rest of the crusaders also got there, by being dragged by Scoots, while skying, holding to the Pegasus scooter with their teeth during the entire travel!

They also did a pretty cool rehearsal of that scene on Show Stoppers when Scootaloo rode her scooter to the CMC tree-house, only this time we got a bigger, more daring jump and instead of passing over Granny Smith the elder pony gave Scoots (and AB I think) a high hoof! It's not the "good version of the CMC song" I speculated this morning, but awesome nonetheless.

And yes, as I said before the Crusaders win the contest, we get a little role reversal joke with Dash and Harshwhiny but... What's this? Scoots is looking at her flank! She got a moment of realization!? OMG! IT'S FINALLY HAPPENING! IT'S-

We're totally going to get cutie marks in flag carrying!

FGChi.png

Of the mane 6 the only one who had some screen time was

Rainbow Dash, which didn't really do much except brag a little at the beginning and be the voice of reason back in the end, I actually liked that last bit, that RD can be a pony who you can actually count for when it comes to receiving advice, I'm not sure if that's something I would have said about her 2 seasons ago...

I don't really have much else to say, I mean, I could talk about the crusaders and what I found interesting about them but I don't feel like there is really much worth commenting that I haven't done on the episode review yet, I don't really feel like we've learned anything new from Scootaloo besides the fact that she isn't homeless. Having said that, if I had to recap I'd comment about her inability to sing outside of a musical sequence and how her love for everything that rainbows and dashes didn't cloud her vision here. She also made me think of a certain Naruto character (Rock Lee back in the first part of the series), but I think I'd leave the details of that comparison aside.

Apple Bloom didn't do much either, she was actually a bit annoying as for how she left Scoots behind back in the station (I guess sending friends away runs in the family this season?), in her defense, she was pretty much fed up with the whole flying business by this point.

Sweetie Belle didn't do much either, but she tried to act as a voice of reason at times, which I liked... She also might be hitting puberty if her voice is to be believed (which I don't really mind, I actually like it)

Spike wanted to contribute to the fact Dragons also live in Ponyville and made friends with the local population, but he was cut due time constraints [/trustory]

Discord didn't care.

ITkzi.png

What's so special about it anyway?

497131__safe_twilight+sparkle_pinkie+pie

Ultimately, Friendship prevailed above most (if not all) of this things, so Scoots is still right. =D

What can I say about this one? I can't say I wasn't disappointed but I guess it's my own fault for thinking something would happen due to Meghan's tweet... Guess I'll know better from now on.

But yeah, I got a little hyped and it didn't live up, I was expecting something to happen but the episode dodged most of the issues this episode could bring and left the others ambiguous in a way that could be hand-waved whenever it turns out to be convenient, I don't feel there was much of a discussion to be had since there wasn't much of a topic to spring it. (also, not an issue per se, but the episode also dodged pretty much all of the contest, I guess due to time and to avoid showing DT's and other performances which would be open to some interpretation as to which performance was actually better)

I didn't feel much of Scoot's anguish in the episode either, but that might be because I tend to empathize more with characters who truly break when they reach a wall instead of the ones who just get irritated (it wasn't until the end when I felt Scoots was really going down because of this but she got better in the same scene thanks to her friends so I'm also left a bit indifferent).

It did have things to love, despite that scene at the beginning being so long Dash and Harshwhiny's interaction was pretty cool,  Some scenes of the episode had me seriously laughing, which is always appreciated.

Also, the fact the CMC no longer fall for the whole "blank flank" thing was also something nice to see.

Many many little callbacks to previous episodes were made and this is something I like to expand a little more, back in the first episodes of season 3 I really praised the show for the world building it was doing, for giving us new places for making everything feel more connected, this season also had some of that and I love it. I really like when characters that were supposed to be restricted to a single episode are brought back, it makes me feel like they are living their own lives out there and make the whole land of Equestria feel... Bigger. (Even Daring Don't, for all the complains people could raise about it gave us a hefty expansion about the world and re-introduced us to characters no one thought we would see again other than in the background, mind you, i don't think most people asked for them to return but... Stuff happens.)

Also, now we know who taught Scoot's how to Spin-Dash back in Sleepless in Ponyville!

So I guess it was okay? I might form a better opinion with more sleep and less hype backlash at some point in the future...

Speaking of hype, I totally got spoiled with Power Ponies stuff while watching this episode's stream:

Dat Flutterhulk... Can't wait to see her smash stuff (but this is a Spike episode so I guess she won't have so much time in the spotlight)

Has anyone else noticed that the CMC sound older? I definitely noticed it in Sweetie Belle's and Scootaloo's voices. I'm curious where they're going to take the CMC as their voice actresses get older.

I noticed that too.. And I think Cheerilee voice is strange now. Am I crazy? 

Well, Twilight is surely taller...

Clipboard01.jpg

That was pretty strong as far as CMC episodes go, but I also think this worked as a great Rainbow Dash episode. It's not often we see her act as an actual role model, and seeing that just makes me anxious to see more episodes centered around her and Scottaloo.

Also anyone else notice that Doctor Whooves (yes I'm still calling him that) was paired with a pony that had a ROSE cutie mark in the background? I always love little touches like that xP

9f6.gif

Beware the quiet ones... 

Also, cue the heaps of fanart and even more fuel to the R34 fire. 

I'll only comment on what I saw from FttF yesterday, as I got to watch Acts 1 and 3 only (followed by a bit of the second). I'll get to see the others eventually, so no quality judgment here.

1. How Scootaloo not only didn't get her cutie mark, but also had the idea of not being able to fly or otherwise suspended. With this little twist, it gives room for Scootaloo to be further developed. If this becomes a subplot for this season and gives Scootaloo the ability to get her cutie mark, then I'm all for it, as long as it's well-written.

2. Scootaloo working through the wee hours of the morning to try flying.

3. The song. It feels like a different genre (someone mentioned Celtic Rock, but IDK), but it works well, both the original and reprise (making it the first two songs this season). The little animation techniques, like the sunlight reflecting off their fronts while they stood on the hill, gave the song a sense of atmospheric pursuit.

4. How no one from the Mane Six minus Dash appeared. It gave Valentine the ability to use a smaller cast and get used to writing the others little by little.

5. Tiara and Silver Spoon didn't get full-fledged consequences. This'll make their comeuppance all the much sweeter once it happens.

———

Dislikes:

1. DT and SS are one-dimensional bullies, even in their low blow to Scootaloo. If their characterzations were very thorough, like Tiara in Ponyville Confidential, then no issue. But the fact that the characters were so predictable underminded not just the original goal, but also the Scootaloo-can't-fly subplot.

2. The ending was way too quick and made it look like the episode had more material at the end, but was cut for time.

Overall, pretty good work from what I've seen.

3. The song. It feels like a different genre (someone mentioned Celtic Rock, but IDK), but it works well, both the original and reprise (making it the first two songs this season). The little animation techniques, like the sunlight reflecting off their fronts while they stood on the hill, gave the song a sense of atmospheric pursuit.

I thought it sounded like one of those musical openers for western movies.

Then again, my musical knowledge is nonexistent...

Speaking of the song, infinitydash is a freaking wizard. ohmy.png

I really like how different Scoot's singing voice sounds (with the raspiness toned down a bit).

Also, very nice to be able to clearly hear Claire's first big singing number in the show. (and at the risk of being my usual biased self, hers is my favorite version of the set)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSdkDYtm7Is New Promo #2

I'm quivering in fear. Fucking Fluttershy. Why are you so frightening? 

1017043_775192289164877_271765400_n.png

So I guess the winners of the Equestria Games must be the Season finale.

No, I think the Equestian Games are probably going to happen mid-season or near the end. I think the ordeal with the keys and the box is going to be the true finale this season unless they're planning to prolong that plotline over the rest of the series. Just hopefully the contents aren't elements of Harmony or even upgraded versions of them as it feels rather pointless and disappointing for them to give up the Deux Ex Machinas just to gain them back again. 

Just hopefully the contents aren't elements of Harmony or even upgraded versions of them as it feels rather pointless and disappointing for them to give up the Deux Ex Machinas just to gain them back again. 

This... reminds me of...

Oh!

Oh no...

490285__safe_twilight+sparkle_applejack_

But on a serious note, yeah, what's in the box? Is it like a 7th element? Are they going to introduce a pony/griffon/whatever to be the bearer?

Lyra. The Element of Hands! 

... What, I'm not seeing you guys coming up with anything better.dry.png 

tongue.png

We got a new synopsis for Bats!

I hope you guys like...

... Merriwether Williams. :V

TBH, despite 2 of her episodes being low points on the series I can't really forget that I enjoyed most of the stuff she's written, even Dragon Quest.

But anyway, this episode suddenly sounds a lot more interesting because we are getting some firsts on the series:

1) First time AJ and Fluttershy have any meaningful time with each other (which is surprising considering both of them should have a lot in common, ironically this episode also pits both nature lovers)

2) First time Fluttershy is in direct confrontation with any main character (unless you count the mini outburst she had against Rarara and Pinkie back in S2)

The only thing I don't look forward in this episode is how i'm almost sure this is going to turn out with AJ being "wrong" for not taking the most compassionate route. But then again, if you know a pony who has a connection with those animals who keep annoying you why not ask for her help to begin with?

*flashback to Swarm of the Century*

The only thing I don't look forward in this episode is how i'm almost sure this is going to turn out with AJ being "wrong" for not taking the most compassionate route. But then again, if you know a pony who has a connection with those animals who keep annoying you why not ask for her help to begin with?

If they do it right, neither character will be completely right or wrong, and they'll have to find some kind of middleground. Look Before You Sleep is a good example of conflicting personalities with neither being "more right" than the other, so it probably can be done.

As much as I enjoyed Dragon Quest and Putting Your Hoof Down, they do have some issues in their writing quality. Wonderbolts Academy is the only one that I know (don't recall much of HWE) that works really well from beginning to end. However, just because it's written by Williams doesn't mean I hold prejudice against the writer. Just the writing if or when it comes up, whether it's by her, Larson, Fullerton, McCarthy, et al.

By the concept and summary alone, it really does interest me. There are many ways to paint the picture, but one I, too, hope it doesn't happen is make AJ (or Fluttershy) out of character or the wrong pony of the duo. It's the most predictable direction, reduces the writing by one dimension, and scapegoats not just the "wrong" character, but the "right," too. Even at twenty minutes, that's more than enough time to explain a logical, in-character conflict and resolution.

———

Now, a while back, I posted a few fanfic ideas, none of which got off the ground. Well, I'm in the middle of planning one.

If any of you saw my status updates, you know I'm a big fan of Thomas & Friends and the book series it adopted from, The Railway Series. Series 17 of Thomas & Friends reinvigorated my love for that and made me consider writing a FIM fanfic adaptation of The Railway Series (with various Thomas & Friends episodes). Most of it will be down to the letter, but others will be relocated or altered to fir the FIM-'verse.

The title: The Equestrian Series.

You can read my blog describing the idea here. (There are spoilers of Series 17, so read at your own risk.)

But if you don't want to, I have the initial concepts C&P'd from the blog. Due to the length, it's hidden in the "spoiler":

• A retelling of Thomas' Train/A Big Day for Thomas. Twilight, still embarrassed and cross at Applejack for paying her back after playing a cheeky trick on her, had to put her pride behind her. One night, Spike got ill. While his temperature was normal, he wasn't feeling well, and typical remedies didn't help. She writes a royal letter and reviews through the books, only to find no answer. She brings him to the hospital where Nurse Redheart takes care of him, and he felt just as bad next morning. Spike, with an IV in his wrist, weekly asked Twilight to look after the Library and finish any chores that he can't do. Twilight said, "yes."

She reviewed the list and began to do his chores for the Library. But there were also a couple of others, one being to help Applejack transfer the apples from the tree to her carts. She grumbled, but went about her way, only to find Applejack not there, so she worked with Big Mac, Apple Bloom, and a new pony called Braeburn to help with the bucking. She tries out herself, only to do it rather quickly and giddily. She was given permission to pull the apple trolleys to an organic orchard marketplace out of the town, but before they were able to do so, she began to run, not knowing the they were empty. Then she came cross a level crossing where Applejack wondered why she was there. She was helping trade the apples to an organic farm. Then AJ asked where are the apples. Twilight looked back, gasped, and felt upset. So she ran back, feeling very upset with herself and waited more patiently. Once the apples were placed on the trolleys, she pulled them and used her magic to not strain her back.

———

Later, in an adaptation of Coal/Henry's Special Coal, Spike's health isn't as sick as before, but who was once a very reliable dragon isn't as reliable as he used to be. Sometimes he has so much strength that he can complete his tasks quicker than anypony. Sometimes he has no strength at all and is confined to either his bed or one at a hospital. While Spike was away in a hospital, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna make a rare private visit one night to talk with Twilight about maybe finding a new assistant instead of him to do the work. Twilight doesn't want that and is sure if found something, then he can get better.

Celestia makes a visit to Rarity, who was working with her little sister, Sweetie Belle, on designer dresses. When asked about finding gems that can heal Spike, she isn't sure, but there may be something that could help him. Healing gems are located at an old jewel mine where the Diamond Dogs roamed. That's where Celestia, Luna, and Rarity immediately went to. The Diamond Dogs weren't very intellectual and irritable, but knew their way around the mine and had knowledge about the gemstones. So Rarity used her business-savvy sense by striking a deal with the Dogs because a good friend was sick and believe the gems could help them. They gave Rarity the gems said to write a letter if he feels better.

They returned to Twilight's house with the gems. Twilight finds a potion book and mixes bits of the gemstones with a little vinegar, for they were strong. They handed Spike the concoction, grimaced, and hated the taste, but he drank it. He wondered what good it'd do. Celestia winked and said, "Wait and see."

They didn't need to wait long. The next day, Spike was wide awake and dusting the shelves. He was feeling happy, speedy, and energetic. Twilight laughed and warned him not to do it too fast. But he takes off for his next job, which Twilight reviewed in her parchment. It was to deliver art supplies to Rarity from the shunting yard. He was there early with smaller trolleys in tow. The foreponies lowered the art into his trolleys, and Twilight caught up as Rainbow Dash flew down to see. Spike teased Twilight for being late and took off. The Bearer of Magic chuckled to Dash if she'd seen anything like it, who agreed she never did.

———

Come to the winter and The Flying Kipper, and Spike was impressive. Since being given the experiment in the fall, he has grown stronger and faster, but his shape was still the same. So impressed that a country where the elite live, The Crystal Empire, heard the news and invited Spike and two others to come for a little vacation. There was only one train, the Sunrise Topaz, and it leaves at 5 AM. Spike agreed and invited Twilight and Rarity to join, who accepted.

As they prepared, a large tender engine was being inspected and cleaned to remove any dust and frost from the joints and rods. Its firebox was also cleaned. Soon, a large supply of coal poured from a hopper. A half-hour before the departure, the engine showed up while pouring one crystal coach as well as a caboose. They climbed in, said goodbye, and the train left the station. While sipping some of the remedy, Spike watched with awe as little bits of color started to peak out of the dark sky. He was feeling great and awake; he wasn't interested in sleeping. Rarity, and Spike shared a quiet conversation, and she planted a tiny kiss on his head "for good luck."

Meanwhile, the driver and firepony checked the signals and sightings ahead, all giving them the clear, and they headed down a section of track via frozen points. They trekked several miles before stopping at a signal at danger. The points in front weren't aligned, and a freight train behind them was scheduled to pass. To kill the time, the driver and firecolt went to the brake van to drink cocoa with the guard. Rarity and Spike decided to join, and Twilight followed. The brake van was dim and cold, but the energy from the engine and tail lamp lit up the small room.

Several minutes later, everyone wondered why the train never passed, but they had to wait. Suddenly, the vibration of an incoming train and loud honking, and the guard peaked out. It was on their track, and the train applied the brakes. Everyone scrambled out, but when Rarity and Spike did, the train plowed into the brake van, and a wood panel rammed right into Spike, knocking him out cold.

When he woke up, he was lying in the hospital, tired and in pain. All of his friends — including Celestia, the Diamond Dogs, and Queen Cadance of The Crystal Empire — were there beside him, Twilight and Rarity lightly bandaged from the crash and pounding on the hard snow. Luckily, scrapes and a concussion were all he had. He wondered what happened. Celestia said ice and snow locked the junction into place, and the snow forced the caution signal down. Also, the jewels that he needed to replenish his energy were destroyed in the crash, and he apologized to the Dogs, who didn't care; they were glad he was okay. Nurse Redheart said he'll be in the hospital for a couple of days just to check on his brain. If good, he'll be cleared to go home.

They decided to let Spike rest, and the Dogs ushered everyone out. The reason: The dragon Fluttershy escorted away from Ponyville was waiting outside. He heard about the condition and figured out a way for him to not need the healing gems anymore, but he will need a change in the diet and a whole rehab regime. There's a rehab center west of Equestria, but only where dragons live. Sick dragons are there to get rehabbed and treated, and because it's not such a terrible case, it should take about a month or two before he returns.. Due to dragons not having a good relationship with ponies technically, Spike can only come alone. They weren't sure, but Fluttershy and Rarity believed he should go. If it's to keep him healthy and alive, they'll do it. But they had to ask Spike for permission, and if he said yes, the big dragon must promise to keep him safe and cozy. He did, and when they asked Spike if they should go, he considered, but will miss them. Rarity decided to give him a reminder that they love him and will be there to see him when he comes back: her great grandmother's fire ruby, which she wore as a good luck charm. Finally, he agreed to go.

Springtime came. Spike was medically cleared to return home and was given first-class apprenticeship via a flight by the Royal Guard. The little dragon liked living at the rehab center, but was glad to come back. His baby fat was gone. He grew a little bit taller, and his arms and legs grew strong, visible muscles. When they touched down, Spike walked to the Library, but no one was there.

"SURPRISE!"

Everypony peaked out and greeted the happy dragon, and everyone admired how he looked. The Mane Six was especially glad, and they all missed him. The ponies also admired Rarity's fire ruby, and he said to not credit him. Thank Rarity for giving it to him as a good luck charm. Plus, he said he's interested in getting back to work and proving if the trip was truly worth it.
  • A retelling of Fluttershy being scared of grown dragons similar to The Sad Story of Henry/Come Out, Henry! and Edward, Gordon and Henry/Henry to the Rescue. They trek up the mountain, but Fluttershy, scared out of her wit's end, hides in her cottage. Her animals tried pulling her out on Spike's whistle, but she never moved. Then they tried pushing from the other end…only to fail. Big Mac came along, and the animals begged for her to come out and help now that the smoke died, but Fluttershy assured it'll begin again soon. Suddenly, on Spike's and Dash's call, Big Mac pushed her via a buck, but she clenched on the jam and kicked him back hard through the walls. They gave up, and Angel led the charge by building a protective brick wall to confine her, only leaving a tiny slit above where her door was. Poor Fluttershy could merely watch activity rush by and have food delivered to her, but she never spoke. Depressed, she crawled back inside, crying.

As she remained confined, the rest of the Mane Six came up with a plan to distract the dragon and have him escorted out. Fluttershy wallowed about maybe coming out, but found herself too physically and psychologically weak to try. During a quarrel, a cloud of ash rains all over Ponyville, and the Mane Six retreated, Rainbow Dash injured from a sprained wing. Angel decided to communicate back to Fluttershy and ash if she can help. She gulped, but accepted. Applejack and Big Mac bucked the wall apart, and she walked out, looking dirty and stiff. She exercised her legs and wings and then came back, refreshed. They trekked up the mountain and confronted the cross dragon again. Only this time, Fluttershy talked sternly, and they got to know the dragon more. Instead of fighting him, they negotiated and decided to help look for a place where he can sleep much more quietly. They sent a letter to Celestia asking for such a spot, and she wrote that there was a cave several miles southwest. Far away from civilization. She gave the dragon a celestial map, and after a gesture for good luck, the dragon flew away, but not after telling Fluttershy she needs a bath. She grumbled, but agrees. Fluttershy helps Dash back home, and Fluttershy learned that she doesn't mind big dragons to an extent and knows that the best way to face her fear of them wasn't to hide into cottages, but to negotiate and treat the dragons with kindness.
  • A retelling of Saved from Scrap. Heartstrings, a long-time blank flank, was assigned to shunting trolleys. However, her manager gave her a job to explore a dump a few miles away and find any intricate items. She arrived with empty trolleys in tow. It wasn't just a dump. It was also a scrap yard, where metal was broken up, melted, and later reused for new material. Heartstrings explored and saw a lyre and harp, each dusty and unpolished. She begins to play it and hears an angelic voice. There's no name for the pair, but when Heartstrings asked why they were there when they weren't broken or rusty. The reason: the previous owner gave up on them, calling them old-fashioned and useless. Heartstrings snorted and said despite being teased for being a blank flank, she's reliable and is proud to do her job. The pair would be a part of family concerts and orchestras. The fillies and foals adored the atmosphere in the music.

Heartstrings takes off and decides to help the instruments. She passes by a cherry orchard with a house beside it. A young stallion with a mahogany coat, blond mane/tail, white conductor's top, and violin cutie mark — his name being "Capriccio" — was playing his violin before his young children and saw the upset Heartstrings. The mare answered that a harp and lyre pair was being broken up, but useful. She admitted that that the instruments spoke to her as she touched the strings and said if given the chance, they can be bought and saved, but she doesn't have the money. Capriccio considered and decided to meet up in two days. Two days later, they met the manager of the scrap yard and asked if they could borrow the pair for a while, who said "yes."

The next day, with approval from Mayor Mare, Heartstrings and Capriccio arranged an unannounced concert with Heartstrings taking the stage. With her eyes closed, she begins to play a harp/lyre duet via her unicorn magic, creating music in her head and guidance from the instruments. There were no notes physically, merely mentally. The two instruments kept guiding her through the ten-minute piece. When she finished, everyone clapped and gave her a standing ovation. When the crowd dispersed, the manager of the scrap yard was there and said he was impressed and said that he's willing to strike a cheap deal. Capriccio negotiated, and Heartstrings signed the deal to become the rightful owner of both the harp and lyre.

But she wasn't done. A lyre cutie mark symbol appeared on her flank, and she grew ecstatic. Finally, she decided on a new name: Lyra Heartstrings.

She still lives in Ponyville, but her home is much nicer, and she doesn't spend as much time shunting trolleys. She continues to talk and mail with Capriccio, who is now her manager and conductor. With aid from the instruments, she plays short concerts weekly, particularly to little kids.
  • Now flash forward to Toby the Tram Engine/Toby & the Stout Gentleman. An old-fashioned mailmare, Derpy, has been trustworthy throughout an island located north of Equestria. She lives in a paradise that was strangely constant: cool falls and winters, but not to the point of snow; and decent springs and summers that don't sweat her cool gray coat. She always pulls a small antique mail carriage wherever she goes, either in the air or by ground, which she fondly named "Ash," as she always found comfort where he went. Ash tends to carry mail in little pockets on the side to allow passengers (which can fit up to six) to settle in the middle. However, Ash had seen better days: "It's not fair at all," he tends to grumble, recalling how several clouds tended to wander behind him carrying passengers on quiet days and rubbish whenever busy. However, as the years went by, the clouds usually dwell still in the sides of the sky, and only three or four clouds dance behind them. Ground trollies and pony carriages carried passengers, goods, and mail around. But despite her lazy eyes and aloof personality, Derpy hasn't had an accident in years, and she gets a chuckle at why everypony below always tended to have accidents. However, Ash and the clouds are becoming mostly empty.

One day, a proud mare (Mayor Mare — a.k.a., "Arete") and her grandchildren were waiting in front of a trolley car barn. However, Derpy had never seen them before. Suddenly, the young filly suddenly asked (about Ash): "Isn't the carrier electric?" Ash's wood panels trembled in anger, and her brother told her, "Shh! You offended him." Soon, the family scrambled inside. While Derpy was ecstatic, Ash inwardly grumbled, making the filly uncomfortable throughout the initial ride.

After riding through the small town and dropping off the mail, Arete and Derpy finally acquainted. Then Arete conversed with Ash, and he started feeling a little more comfortable. The family stayed there for two weeks, and both the filly and Ash grew a liking for each other. Sometimes they helped shunt fellow trolleys. Other times, they helped collect the mail. On the last day, Ash invited them all to saddle up and ride inside the cab. Unfortunately, Arete and family had to go back home, and both Derpy and Ash said "goodbye" and left sadly.

Months passed. Derpy and Ash were being given less work. Fewer passengers tended to come. Loyal clouds slowly grew distant and floated beyond to find better work. Mail that tended to be given to Derpy was being greatly reduced; she now only carriers two small bags per day. Finally, while she slept in an old shed she called "Henrietta," she heard someone open her mailbox, close it, and leave. She checked and found a letter from her manager. The manager was losing money and couldn't afford the business. So, he decided to close the business next week. Derpy grew sad and could only eat a portion of her muffin before she lost her appetite and gave the rest to Ash (who couldn't eat even if he tried, but Derpy didn't care).

On the last day of the business, she went to her station and found a whole crowd there, including a "FAREWELL, DERPY!" sign hanging aside one lamp pole from another. Several cloud decided to visit the town, too, to accommodate the passengers. The ponies joked and sang, but Derpy and Ash wished they wouldn't. They explored the small town, lifting a little off the ground and watching the scenery around. Derpy began to absorb the feeling of being appreciated and finally saying "goodbye." They returned to the old stable station, and both Derpy and Ash said "farewell." They returned to Henrietta, where Derpy started to cry. Ash comforted him, but Derpy couldn't muster any way to cheer her up. Not even a muffin could do it. She decided to go to bed early and fall unhappily to sleep. Ash stayed where he was and fell asleep, too.

Next morning, Derpy woke up and checked the sunshine. It was bright and cheerful. No cloud in the sky. But Derpy didn't care. She was out of business and didn't know where to go. She walked to her mailbox. A gold letter waited for her inside, and it was from Arete. She opened the envelope and read the letter.

For the first time in weeks, Derpy smiled.
  • In an adaptation of Duck Takes Charge, Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle formed the Cutie Mark Crusaders during their month-long time in camp, but they weren't as adventurous as the official media. Apple Bloom has a cheeky side and tricked Diamond Tiara. That made DT very cross, and she planned a trick back that embarrassed AB. During some adventures, Cheerilee noticed AB and SB feeling exhausted after trekking; Cheerilee decided to ask another member from another period and class to help them out for the next few days.

Next morning, the filly showed up. Her name is officially Scootaloo, but her parents affectionally call her "Autumn Fowl" because it's her family surname and how she prefers to walk, run, and stay on the ground more than fly, which she can only do in small distances. How they'd like to call her depends, but she likes "Autumn Fowl" better. When Autumn Fowl finished preparing equipment for a new tent, DT mocked her by bawking and wheeshing steam at her.

AB and SB saw it and felt sorry for Autumn Foul, but Fowl had an idea that could teach the bully a lesson. As Cheerilee relaxed by a river to splash some freshwater on her muzzle, she heard thecommotion of DT being unable to enter their tents because the CMC and Fowl blocking their way. When Cheerilee ordered an explanation, Fowl explained how her family does their work without fuss. "It's the Fowl Way or the Wrong Way." And she feels like the fillies should not have to be put up by the commanding of DT. When she reacted, Cheerilee spoke severely to the trio for causing confusion. Then she scolded at DT for creating the disturbance in the first place. Eventually, they were given a talk, and they all completed their tasks.

Fowl managed alone. She did so…easily.

I began to develop the world and start from scratch, creating a "Book 0" that helps bring everything together. You can read it here or check out its long, unproofread length (hidden in the "spoiler") below:

Book 0: Twilight Sparkle

• ­­Heading to Ponyville: A purple unicorn spends most of her time cooped up in her study room in Canterlot. Her little dragon, Spike, is always beside her to help her when needed. Then, one day, Queen Celestia, feeling that she's letting her studies get the best of her, gives Twilight Sparkle a brand new assignment: arrange the Summer Sun Festival and make some friends.

They touch down on some tracks located in a siding, and they go about their way to explore Ponyville. Everypony was having fun, and it was bustling. Twilight saw Pinkie Pie, who gasped and hightailed it, temporarily leaving behind her trolley. Then they met Rarity, Fluttershy, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash in succession, and Twilight found herself feeling rather uncomfortable of the notion to make friends and cross at Queen Celestia for giving her the assignment.

When she went inside the Golden Oaks Library (her Ponyville home assigned by Celestia and granted permission by Mayor Mare), Celestia was waiting, acknowledging Twilight's frustration. She saw how Twilight spent her life in school in her dorm and Canterlot library, and she felt it was hurting her. That's a reason why Celestia gave Twilight this assignment.

But there's another, and it was more important.
  • Preparation: Coming tomorrow morning's festival, Celestia won't be there. Twilight reacted incredulously, but Celestia softly gestured her to calm down. Using her horn, a book called Equestria: The Fall of Harmony was lifted from a book shelf, and Twilight began to read the passages.

Almost 1,000 years ago, both Queen Celestia and Queen Luna ruled Equestria harmoniously. The Elements of Harmony were a part of their lives.

Celestia: kindness, laughter, inspiration.

Luna: honesty, loyalty.

While their lives were fixated on the Elements, there was a bond the Queens and Elements had for each other. But it's more contractual and diplomatic.

One day, Princess Luna's night began to get less attention, and she was becoming ignored. She grew cold, angry, and jealous over the attention she got. Suddenly, she snapped and tried to steal the Elements of Harmony, particularly the ones Celestia held. However, because of her pain and forceful way to attempt to attain them, she channeled only the negative attribute of the Elements of Harmony, and when she tried to force the Elements onto her, the Elements fought back and sealed her soul into the moon. When Twilight asked why Celestia couldn't channel the Elements' power back, she said the Elements are very protective and strict in being handled with care. They don't tolerate being sabotaged. As a consequence of Luna's jealousy, both Luna's and Celestia's bond with the Elements brake.

She told Twilight this because tomorrow morning is the 1,000th anniversary of Luna being sealed to the moon. At sunrise, the seal will be broken, and Luna's demented state of Nightmare Moon will be freed. As a consequence, Nightmare Moon will be sealing Celestia to the sun. This circled back to Twilight: She believes she can bring Luna back to her old self, but the first step to do it is to make some genuine friends. Try to get more comfortable with Ponyville's citizens. Then Celestia teleported.

Twilight tries again and went to the Ponyville City Hall, where Rarity helped decorate the place. The two got along, and Spike found Rarity to be beautiful. They talked, and Twilight helped her arrange the chaos.

Rainbow Dash was next, and she was zipping through the sky, shunting the clouds and biffing them to the point of disintegration. The clouds groaned and giggled in their tricks; in Canterlot, clouds were never bumped or warned with their magic unless they misbehaved. Twilight warned her about treating the clouds with respect, but Dash said the sky has to be clear for the celebration tomorrow! Twilight suggested treating them not so roughly instead. Dash sighed and asked, but now without Twilight scolding her for her lack of manners. The silly clouds obliged and scuttled away, clearing the sky, but not after knocking Dash off at one point. Dash was cross at the clouds, but thanked Twilight for helping. She was excited for the Wonderbolts (her idols and inspiration for her toughness and will to join them) and wanted to show off her abilities. Spike confided to Twilight about her brashness, which Dash caught and assured her to not worry.

Applejack showed up and wasn't sure. And the two exchanged some cheeky barbs (particularly how Dash tricked Applejack into sinking into a ditch) before chuckling. Twilight introduced herself to the Earth pony, who brought her to Sweet Apple Acres for a little treat containing a boatload of Apple family snacks like apple fritters, candy apples, and a slice of apple pie (baked by Granny Smith herself).

After getting her fill of apple treats (and a laugh or two), she meets Fluttershy, who was instructing various birds on how to prepare a royal fanfare in a quiet hill away from the bustling town. In good old canon fashion, she's shy to Twilight, but pays attention to Spike, who she got along with quite well. Twilight soon became ignored and was starting to feel both jealous and cross, but didn't interrupt because Spike was also giving some details why they were in Ponyville: to inspect the preparations for the Summer Sun Celebration.

At last, Twilight had seen enough and believed Fluttershy needs some more time to rehearse, so they said "goodbye" and went back to Ponyville. Spike was critical of her, but Twilight said she needs Flutterhsy to be alone for now. Plus, she feels worried about what Queen Celestia said. She's certain it won't be true, but Spike wasn't sure.

Twilight decided to go back to the Golden Oaks Library to review the Guide, only to find the lights off. One of the townsponies flipped the switch, and there was a gigantic "SURPRISE!" that surprised Twilight. Pinkie Pie led the charge, but Twilight was very critical of her for using a place that was designed to be quiet. Pinkie laughed at the hypocrisy, saying keeping what's now a private library quiet is null and void and BORRR-ING! Twilight argued no more and wondered why she was given the surprise. Pinkie excitingly claimed she knew she was new because she'd never seen Twilight or her cutey-widdy Spikey-Wikey. Spike blushed. Twilight laughed. But in the midst of all the excitement, she accidentally drank some punch mixed with hot sauce, causing her mouth to explode in heat. Luckily, somepony had milk, and she gulped it all down. When she felt better, Pinkie drank some punch with hot sauce and giggled. "Could be hotter." "Could be HOTTER?!" she coughed. "Anypony who eats that much hot sauce needs a fire extinguisher!" Pinkie and Spike teased Twilight and dared her to get into spicy virgin cider contest. Twilight passed and ran to her private room upstairs, but Spike and Pinkie dared each other (and accepted).

As Spike and Pinkie commoted downstairs, Twilight reread the book Queen Celestia gave her and glanced at the ancient, simplistic art style that was used thousands of years ago. Then she gazed up at the moon, where the Nightmare Moon logo was implanted on the surface. The moon glowed much brighter than normal, and the crater implants appeared much lighter than normal. She was sure it was an old fairytale, but she couldn't help but ask if the legend Queen Celestia told her was indeed true.

The time had finally arrived. City Hall was decorated in royal flags and the signature colors of Equestria: sunshine gold, off-white pink, and midnight blue with the sun and moon code of arms on the side of the flag. Mayor Mare gave her introduction, and flares of artificial sunbeams peered out…when they were suddenly replaced by midnight blue smoke. Nightmare Moon arrived, telling everyone Celestia is sealed and that the night will last forever.

As thunder clapped within City Hall, everyone ran out in fright into the calm night. Twilight scurried back to the Library.

• Search: Twilight Sparkle raced back to the Golden Oaks Library and rummaged through her shelves, doing whatever she can to find anything related to them. So far, no luck. Suddenly, Pinkie barges in and tells Twilight to leave and panic, but she refuses. She wasn't going to allow Nightmare Moon to fulfill her dreams. She was certain this was why Queen Celestia sent her to Ponyville: to help get Luna back. Rainbow Dash didn't believe Luna is capable of coming back, and Rarity agrees. Fluttershy then arrived, trembling, and Applejack consoled her. Twilight was going to try. Unfortunately, the book Queen Celestia was the only one referencing the Elements of Harmony. She hopes they can find others and asks her new friends to search for any.

It wasn't long before Pinkie Pie found a small book called The Elements of Harmony: A Reference Guide. It tells Twilight the history of the Elements, where they came from, and what created the magic to use the Elements. There are five: Inspiration, Laughter, Honesty, Loyalty, and Kindness. One other Element exists, called Magic. No one has conceived it, and it's unknown where it is. The last time the Elements of Harmony were used was in the abandoned ruins deep in the Everfree Forest, at an old castle called Florawood.

Florawood was a castle named by the royalty who once ruled Equestria, back when it wasn't Equestria: It was called Pangala and was settled by the old Queen who dwelled there: Queen Gaia, the first ever alicorn officially recognized. The castle itself was named such because for a long time, the trees surrounding it didn't bloom just leaves, but flowers from the beginning of the spring to the fall. The forest itself was called the Nox Forest for two reasons:
    • When walking on the ground, the tree branches and leaves blanketed the sun and moon from peering below.
    • One of the most common trees was called the Nox tree. They were some of the strongest and tallest, averaging 150 feet at the base and 350 feet tall. Also, due to previously spilled black magic and the lack of sunlight, the bark was always black.

The heirs of the throne, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna, lived there after Gaia abdicated and later passed away, promoting the sisters to Queen in the process. However, following Luna's spiritual confinement within the moon, the Nox Forest as well as Florawood deteriorated, and the negative energy of the Elements of Harmony leaked into a large acre of the forest. Celestia and all of those who lived within Florawood relocated to a new land the Royals of Equestria founded called Canterlot. It began as a castle and later expanded beyond the mountain into what is now called the Celestial Plains below. The Nox Forest changed and eventually became what is now the Everfree Forest. Because of the negative energy, there are many things living unpredictably within the forest, so the Mane Six must proceed with caution.

With Rarity's and Twilight's horns blaring natural, electric light, they ventured deep into the forest. As strange as it was, it was calm and low-risen. The dark night sky blared and illuminated the forest grounds. However, soon the trees started to get taller and wider, and the light started to get darker and spookier. Fluttershy and Rarity were starting to get scared, and Rainbow Dash's ghost tale about trees being former spirits of once living ponies didn't help out. Twilight reassured them that there were no such thing as ghosts, but neither believed her.

Suddenly, Twilight felt a twig brush across her back, and she gasped. She didn't see the twig, but she was sure it was nothing. Then a long, low whistle in one ear and out the other, and it made her shiver. She turned around and saw nothing, then turned back around and couldn’t find her friends. Then scary trees were everywhere, and she suddenly screamed.

Fluttershy came by to console her, and the others followed her. Pinkie, meanwhile, saw the trees and just laughed at them. When Twilight incredulously asked why, Pinkie said she’s seen food coming out from the oven “scary.” This was nothing. She pulled a light out of nowhere and made shadowed faces to mock the “scary” trees, and everyone started to chuckle. Twilight was feeling better, and they continued.

Suddenly, there was a loud screech nearby, and they all ran over to see what had happened. A young dragon, Steven Magnet, was writhing in psychological pain from his mustache being snipped off. When they wondered how it happened, it turned out Magnet was grooming with a Ray Zor, only to squirm away and slice the perfect moustache as it flew off. Now he’s complaining about his look being ruined, I tell you! Dash scoffs and mutters about it being deserving for using an animal who doesn’t like to be treated as a tool, but Rarity still felt sorry and said he deserves another chance. So she pulls off one of Steven’s scales and slices off part of her mane. Then she asks Twilight if she could help shape it into a mustache, which she agreed. With two glows of the horn, Rarity’s mane was groomed and then popped into where the cut mustache would be. Magnet LOVED it and thanked Rarity and Twilight for helping. Then Pinkie asked Steven about the old Florawood castle, he said they have to cross the river, and he formed a small walk bridge by shaping his back.

During their trek, they find themselves at the bottom of a big cliff. Applejack said walking around it would be the best solution, but Twilight has never seen it before nor knows how to get to top. AJ told her and the others to trust her. She feels she knows. So they began walking around the mountain and found a small hill with trolley tracks. AJ said they can walk along the tracks, but told them to be careful.

The tracks were very old. Wood weathered, and metal rusted, often very loose from old nails and unstable ground. Applejack warned to be very quiet and follow her lead. Fluttershy stares at the long, high cliff above and hopes something bad doesn’t happen; Pinkie joked to not jinx, but Shy took her seriously and grimaced. The wind blew by, and her teeth shattered; Rainbow hushed her by clasping her mouth and stuffing a hoof in her mouth. But her rough actions scared Fluttershy more. Everyone stopped walking, and Rainbow loosened up. Fluttershy was scared and wanted to go home, but AJ said unless we find these Elements, there may not be a home to go to. Or no food for her animals. Fluttershy’s eyes widened and stomped ahead.

Suddenly, a small pebble tumbled onto the old mountain line. Then another, and everyone began to be very scared. Suddenly, aloud rumble, and the Cliffside crumbled. Everyone scooted away to safety; everyone was dusty, but uninjured. Rainbow Dash was on one side, while the others were trapped on the other side of the avalanche. Rainbow was told to go to the castle, but she stayed put and was going to help them. So, one by one, she hoisted each pony to the other side of the rockslide. When asked why, Dash said she wasn’t going to find the Elements, not without the others beside her. With the six together, they can beat NMM.

So they continued to follow the rail up the mountain. Strangely, NMM didn’t attack them.

• Nightmare Moon: At the top of the mountain lay a bridge. It dangled, and only Dash could pick it up for everyone to cross. But she didn’t, as blue magic tied the bridge tightly for everyone to cross. RD quipped that NMM was expecting them. Rarity wondered why, and Pinkie bounced about how books always liked to have the evildoers come face to face with the hero. Twilight rolled her eyes and said they have to go out, find the Elements of Harmony, and beat NMM.

They stepped inside the ruins. Everywhere, it was dark, with only the moon hovering above, but with the tapestries and hallways encompassing them. Twilight and Applejack tell the others to stay together and keep their eyes peeled.

Suddenly, a rush of wind, and a dark blue aura slunk from the moon. On the balcony, NMM stood above and said she was waiting for them. Nightmare glared at the Mane Six, and the Mane Six glared at Nightmare. Finally, Nightmare looked away and told the others to follow her. As she trotted away, everypony looked at each other. Twilight believed they all should follow her, and they did.

NMM explained the history of the old ruins, followed by the reason why it’s still in somewhat good shape. Because the Everfree Forest bled some of the Elements’ negative magic, it transferred back onto the castle. The Forest was a very peculiar part of Equestria: it never behaves normally. It tends to behave the way it just feels like it, and Florawood Ruins were like this. In typical weather, this castle and all of its unknown secrets would’ve weathered away, but apparently the negative energy of the Elements permanently bled on the forest and its inhabitants. When Dash asked NMM how she was able to know what happened to the old Nox Forest and the Summer Sun Celebration despite being sealed in the moon for a millennia, NMM said (in a snappy voice) just because she was sealed doesn’t mean she couldn’t hear or sense all of the changes in the environment.

And plenty of changes at that. The Everfree Forest evolved into its own ecosystem. Dragons, griffons, and other exotic creatures built strong kingdoms. Other former pony colonies grew abroad like Saddle Arabia, Caneighda (and the big city of Owlwa, the only country where a predominantly pony country has a non-pony capital), Mexicolt, and Greigh Briton. She witnessed it all, which was interesting because of how primitive the Earth was.

But even then, the night was never appreciated. Since she was Luna, she could feel the tense and shunning of her glorious night. Like the day, nighttime was beautiful and calm. All of the creatures that slept during the day woke up and hunted or bloomed, and nopony stayed awake to see it or appreciate it. This is what caused her to abandon the Luna persona. And this is why she’s here: to make sure the night is celebrated for everypony.

And she has the tool for it.

She opened the door to present an old observatory with five Elements of Harmony engraved in stone. It was over one thousand years since she last touched them, but she can’t now because her forceful lock on them banished her for so long and shattered her and Celestia’s link permanently. With them, they can use the Elements and create a new kingdom. A new world. A new nighttime life where her moon would finally be celebrated.

But the Mane Six rejected her and said they don’t wish to rule under such tyranny. And Fluttershy said that, with the moon fixated above Equestria and the rest of the continent, the whole world is imbalanced. The other side of this planet would be baking under the sun, and the diurnal and nocturnal animals won’t be able to survive such conditions. Twilight said NMM’s refusal to keep the cycle in order would hurt everypony, including NMM herself. Thanks, but no thanks. They won’t repeat the same mistake NMM, or they’d say Luna, made. To make matters worse, Applejack said her anger and selfishness was doing nothing except insult Celestia, all those who might’ve actually cared for her while they were alive, and the very moon she worshipped. The moon is ashamed of her behavior.

NMM was furious and unleashed a ball of angry magic across the ruins. Twilight unleashed her magical shield to protect them, and the Elements of Harmony began to tumble on its pedestal. After a few tense seconds, her angry aura died down. After putting in so much effort into getting them to join her they reject her. And she bellowed out in anger at AJ for disrespecting the moon, the only thing in Luna’s life that respects her and comforts her when her heart’s in pain, which was nearly all the time. She fired an angry beam at AJ, cracking the shield and pushing the Mane Six back. NMM fires at her again, only for Twilight to shoot her beam back, canceling them out. At last, NMM sighs and looks away, disgusted at the Mane Six so much, she doesn’t even want to look at them anymore.

(Rarity for disrespecting Snowdrop. She wasn’t going to let her desecrate Snowdrop, who was her only friend and only person who actually respected the night. She fired an angry beam at Rarity, hitting and cracking the shield and pushing the Mane Six back. NMM fires at her again, only for Twilight to shoot her beam back, canceling them out. At last, NMM sighs and looks away, disgusted at the Mane Six so much, she doesn’t even want to look at them anymore.)

She requests everyone to leave and just sits there, crying. Whispers broke out in trying to pry the Elements of Harmony out of its slumber, but Twilight reminded them of how NMM got trapped in the moon in the first place. But she looked at NMM and felt…sad. Fluttershy and Twilight walked to NMM, and Shy put a hoof on NMM’s shoulder, only to flinch and soon cry again. Fluttershy consoles her and allows her to cry. NMM wonders why they’re still there, even after she lashed out at them and nearly hurt them and after the cold way she treated Ponyville tonight.

Dash says she can feel pain inside her. She knows what it’s like to feel cold and angry, and it hurts her to see NMM like this. She went from a pony terrorizing Ponyville and the whole country to quitting. Legend tells her that Luna is a strong, powerful, capable alicorn with the ability to co-rule Equestria.

Then AJ asked NMM if she ever tried to get herself truly acquainted with her people while co-ruling Equestria. Instead of just ruling, talking and meeting with others. Luna said no. AJ figured it out; she got scared and felt she wasn’t worthy. She merely raised the moon and that was that. Nopony really got to see her and, thus, found her to be a mystery, from the fact that she rose to the moon to the fairytale of her being sealed in the moon for 1,000 years.

Rarity butted in and told NMM that she was just a legend. A fantastic legend, but one nonetheless. When NMM asked how she could change that, Rarity said she should be more of a presence. NMM’s a recluse, and that won’t help her in the long run. This is why she sometimes takes breaks from designing all the time. If she didn’t calm down and relax, she would have a breakdown (and Dash joked that it was every week, earning a teasing raspberry).

Fluttershy then explained how she was able to realize her worth. When she was younger, Cloudsdale didn’t feel like home because she felt she didn’t belong. When she dropped into Ponyville and its suburbs, she finally found a place to call home: with other ponies who didn’t care what you did. And she feels NMM feels the same. She wanted to feel like she was home, and the moon was her house only.

And for Pinkie, this is what Ponyville is, too. Sugarcube Corner is her house. She feels warm and safe after a long day’s work in her house, but Ponyville is her home. NMM hasn’t felt like she was home for over a thousand years. She can’t go home, because there is no home to go to.

Twilight bent and faced NMM directly and said NMM is in pain and wants to go home, but somehow can’t. With the six, she’ll lead her home. When NMM asked if she’ll be alone, Twilight said she won’t. And she won’t because she felt alone for a long time, too. She confined to her books in school and couldn’t understand why anypony would waste time with friends. She didn’t feel friendship was worth it and scoffed at Queen Celestia’s order to arrange the Summer Sun Celebration. But during her brief time in Ponyville, she felt something she hadn’t felt in a long time: bliss and joy. The books gave her artificial comfort, but it never gave her true comfort. The others aren’t just friends. They’re family.

And she told NMM by her given name (Queen Luna) that she’s one of them, and she’s always welcome in Equestria. Because Twilight does, and the others do, too.

With that, she hugged NMM, and the others followed suit, group-hugging her with NMM in the center.

Suddenly, five warm flashes of light popped, all encompassing each Element of Harmony.

Inspiration: Rarity.

Loyalty: Rainbow Dash.

Kindness: Fluttershy.

Honesty: Applejack.

Laughter: Pinkie Pie.

Then, smaller lights broke away and hovered above Twilight, giving her the Element of Magic. Her element was formed in a tiara, while the others were necklaces, each of them a very abstract shape of what the symbol stands for.

Twilight held out her hoof and asked Luna if she was ready to come home and co-rule Equestria.

NMM nodded and clasped her hoof with Twilight’s.

The power combined into a rainbow and twirled around her, blinding Florawood in a ball of white light.

When it was over, Twilight and the others were amazed by what happened. Fresh power…but happy power. The jewelry they donned fits them all, and they looked at where NMM once was. Princess Luna, in her glory, was waking up from her sleep. She looked around, seeing her new friends and her own self. She no longer felt cold anymore, but warm. Her pain, hatred, and jealousy…gone. She looked at the Mane Six and said thank you.

And a new wise voice said, “You’re welcome.” The sun slowly rose into the sky to replace the setting moon, and a spec of light formed as Queen Celestia. Twilight ran to her and hugged Celestia. Celestia was proud of her, but Twilight won’t take all of the credit. Her new friends helped her heal and grow, and Luna wouldn’t have healed if it weren’t for them, too.

Celestia could sense the transition, even when she was sealed. She could feel her confidence and love for her friends grow and ebb onto each other. That love and friendship ebbed onto her little sister. She walked to Luna, who was bowing, and she told her to rise. For the first time in 1,000 years, she could see Luna again, and she missed her. Luna said, “hi,” meekly. Queen Celly knelt and said it’s been 1,000 years. The two ruled together as one, and Equestria needs that. It’s not just about one alicorn ruling all of Equestria. It’s both co-ruling in harmony. And she said it’s Luna’s rightful place to rule right beside her again…if she wants it.

With her magic, Luna’s dark moon crown appeared. The Queen of the Moon touched it and felt it calling her. With her magic, she donned it back onto her head.

“Welcome home, Queen Luna.”

Suddenly, the Elements of Harmony lose their shape, slowly hover in the sky, and finally vanish. Rarity grumbled about how she was getting used to the Elements, but Celestia said now that Luna is back, the Elements of Harmony are now free and in peace. And despite not wielding the Elements, it doesn’t change how they all represent them. Celestia tells them all to use that gift and use it to their advantages. Luna said she doesn’t want anypony to fall rock bottom. They all promise.

Suddenly, Pinkie Pie had an idea to create a “Welcome-Home-Queen-Luna” Party. In a chariot-on-rails, the two queens are rolled into the heart of Ponyville, stopping at one of the buffered stables. Everyone bowed down at the two queens, and Luna was given a bouquet of flowers in appreciation. Celestia then nudged Luna to deliver a speech, which she did in Old Equestrian. She said it’s been a long time, but she promises she will be a great Queen for Ponyville and all of Equestria, granting an applause.

Soon, the party was ending, and one of the guards told her that Twilight Sparkle wants to talk to you in the Golden Oak Library. At the Library, they conversed about her friends as well as her time in both Canterlot in Ponyville. She thanked Celestia for giving her the opportunity to be the unicorn who should be rather than who she wanted to be. Celestia is grateful, but she noticed that something troubled her. Twilight admitted that although studying was great, she doesn’t want to lose her friends, and she feels that studying made her feel distant, ignorant, and cold. And she doesn’t want to lose that warmth.

So she told her something that was very hard:

She took out her School for Gifted Unicorns contract and said she'll drop out. There was more to her life than studying in a cramped dorm away from society, and she wants to contribute. She feels is the best way possible and by doing it in Ponyville permanently. She just hopes Celestia isn’t disappointed.

Surprisingly, she wasn’t and thought it was very brave of her to admit it to her. No matter what happens, Twilight is always her most faithful student; if she wished, she can always re-enrole and finish her studies. Plus, she’ll be there to help if Twilight desires.

They hugged, and Celestia left the Library. Twilight and Spike left, too, and as they rendezvoused with the others in a café, she said this is going to be the beginning of a great friendship and the first day of their new lives.

Zap2it has revealed the title of Episode 10. My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic : Rainbow Falls

S04, E10 ( First Aired: January 18, 2014)

New IDW comics were released today. We've got issue 14 of the main series and issue 10 (and the finale) of the the micro-series!

I'll assume the topic plays by the same "no spoiler tags on release day" rules as the episodes, so I'll get right to sharing my thoughts.

Micro-Series Issue #10 - "The Day Shift"

In this comic, Princess Luna claims that her nightly duties are far harder than the utter cakewalk Celestia contends with during the day. In response, Celestia agrees to take the day off, giving Luna free reign (along with the aid of her royal adviser, Kibitz). Luna's inability to relate to her citizens leads to shenanigans, as one might expect!

While the premise is simple, Luna is characterized amazingly here. I'd go so far as to say this issue is an even better spotlight than Luna Eclipsed, and its focus on both princesses' royal duties was interesting. I was pleased to see the return appearance of the Flim Flam Bros. and Fancypants, and even Flax Seed and Wheat Grass from Rarity's micro-comic. 

I'd say this is my second favorite micro issue, just barely behind Rarity's. It's good, people. Really good.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #14 - "X Marks the Spots"

Continuing from issue 13, "The Salty Sea-Mare," our heroes retrieve the treasure map... along with bottles full of apparently threatening letters penned by Hoofbeard, along with apparently moving locations of the captain's "treasured jewel" from map to map. The crew is rightly worried about Hoofbeard's debatable sanity, and plots to overthrow him and steer the ship back to Ponyville. 

As it turns out, the "treasured jewel" is actually a mermare that Captain Hoofbeard long ago fell in love with, named Jewel. Her people disapprove of the union between mermare and Earth Pony, but after some insightful words from Fluttershy, agree to leave the two be. Twilight casts a spell on Hoofbeard that allows him to breath underwater indefinitely, and the two presumably live happily ever after as the mane six ride back to Ponyville.

It was a fun issue, and it was interesting to finally see a more definitively canon appearance of the G4 seaponies (there was a storybook earlier, but this feels more legit). The ponies' reactions to this adventure were as varied as you'd expect, and all of them were thoroughly entertaining throughout. Here's looking forward to the next story arc, along with the micro-series' replacement, Friends Forever! I'm definitely hyped for both.