Awoo.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic:: READ POST 11156/PAGE 558

HunterTSF

Well, that was a great way to start off season 2. Sure the final battle was a bit of a disappointment but seeing as this is still a show meant for kids, I really wasn't expecting much of a battle. But god, episode 3 can not come soon enough...

And yes, I geeked out like hell over the Star Wars reference. That really made my day. XD

EDIT: Ah I forgot the fan movie... Damn, that's adorable, well done as well.

Edited by the ORIGINAL recolor

I really do love that present prank video. :D <3 It's so adorable. Pinkie Pie's like a squeaky toy.

Also, I had made it into an avatar for GTP, but I didn't like how it came out so I scrapped it the next day for my current one. And I didn't want all the work I did to go to waste.

Okay so I now that I have finally seen the 2 parter I'm going to comment about it.

MY NOT SO LITTLE REVIEW: OVERANALYZING IS FUN!

Episodes 27 & 28: The Return of Harmony.

First of all I think I should say that I'm going to disagree with a big chunk of the fandom here.

Chapter:

Okay so first with start with the CMC. I'm a little disppointed because they really didn't do anything with them, I was expecting at least to watch them present their essay.

Then MLP theme, old version, that's to be expected.

Now we have a quick intro of the mane cast, Everybrony seems to point this one as the rushed scene, but TBH I saw no problems with this one (maybe some exagerated expression from Fluttershy when they reintroduce her but that's it) It was a nice little reminder like "HEY! These are the main characters! You have the farmer, the fast flier, the one who can talk to animals, the pink party random as fuck pony, the one who always dresses in style, the magician and Zoidberg Spike", it also showed us awesome teamwork (Rarity gave Twilight an umbrella, that was freaking helpful! :U ).

Then we a have a letter, oh yeah, that's what Zoidberg Spike does.

Now we have a little bit of history from the princess, I'm a little saddened because a favourite fic of mine got destroyed because of this... But I'll live.

Discord appears! And I'm already loving him, the dance, the goofy/manly voice, I'm going to like this guy... That sucks, because I already know about his innevitable fate.

Now we finally get to the maze, but what's this? Rainbow and Fluttershy loses their wings? And both Rarity and twilight loses their horns? And Applejack... Oh... Nevermind. Discord appears again with an awesome villain entrance, or not, he is just a goofball. (I love this part! According to TVTropes this was the clip that was showed a few weeks ago and that made people felt disappointed about this villain. I wouldn't have reacted that way if I saw him but I can totally understand most of the complains now.)

After this we have a pretty cool "power fo teamwork" moment, too abd it only lasted a few seconds because they got separated the moment they stepped inside te maze (against their will so it's not something I should criticize)

Now this is the part that most of you loved about the chapter, but as ridiculous as it sounds, this is the part I felt it was rushed or cutted short. I would have loved the mindrape scenes more if they spend more time with them, some pauses, some extra self doubt, a little more lines for Discord... Maybe my mind is not in the right place while judging this (because I'm expecting some really heavy Heroic BSODs).

Anyway, that's pretty much the end of part 1. Now for part 2.

So, I'm still loving Discord but he really didn't need to keep giving Twilight ideas about the elements location...

*keeps watching*

Oh... Maybe he knew the elements were not going to work... That explains it.

Okay, I guess Twilight's Heroic BSOD was as sad as MLP can get, but it wasn't that much (I guess fanfiction corrupted my mind in that regard... And many others... Shut up).

Zoidberg Rainbow Spike deserves a freaking medal for everything he had to go trough in this chapter, and I love Celestia's (or Luna's? ... Na'h) idea of sending Twilight some letters, I wonder what made her do that? I guess she probably saw the maze being broken and the fact that Canterlot is now a floating castle island city... Who knows! Point is, I really liked this moment. (And I really hate the people who though this was Celestia just messing with Spike >_>)

Now this is the part I didn't like, first of all memory spell seems a bit... Err... Out of nowhere to me... But what I really didn't like was (once again) the fact that this episode only last 22 minutes, and so we miss a lot of wonderfull memories, d'aww moments of friendship and (why not?) action and comedy.

This little... Bit of the episode hurts even more once I get to see Rainbow's scene.

Because that scene was freaking awesome! Mostly because of determined Fluttershy (we need a fan nickname for this one, Actionshy? Badasshy? Flutterfast? Flutterdash? No, wait, that sounds like shipping... I'm out of ideas right now)... I mean, she was able to outfly Rainbow Dash! Of course, we are talking a heavily handicapped Rainbow Dash (I liked this, makes things more believable), but we are also talking about a pony who was always known to be a weak flyer.

This also made me think a bit about character development. Fluttershy is not only a weak flyer, she is also phisically weak overall, episode 2 told us that she has problems carrying a pony because the heaviest thing she is used to lift is a bunny (or 2). Then Feeling Pinkie Keen show us that she can carry a cart full of frogs (which may not be as heavy as a pony, but I'm sure it's heavier than a bunny... Or 2) and now we see her blasting at some quite impressive speed while carrying a ballon with 2 ponies in there (though Applejack is made of dark matter). This leads me to 2 possible conclussions:

1) Fluttershy has been gettign stronger as season 1 went

2) Fluttershy was always able to pull this actions, but due to her personality (lack of confidence and all that junk) she wasn't able to do such things.

I'm personally inclined to go to the latter since episode 2 also showed us that Fluttershy can fly fast when one of her friends is in danger. (also the first one suggest some sort of shonnen progression and in this particular case, I'm not sure if I want something like that)

Anyway, this scene was great and it annoys me a little knowing that I missed awesome moments like this one when Fluttershy, Rarity and Pinkie got restored off-screen.

And of course, Discord gets defeated because he is colorblind, or something like that.(TBH, this went way better than what i was expecting, still a bit dissapointed though).

And Star Wars ending... You know, all this scene and the credits music (or what little I heard about it) made me feel a bit sad... I know it's been confirmed many times that this was always supposed to be Season's 2 opener, but this episode gives an air... I don't know how should I say it... Like... It looks like a good ending for a series. It makes me think about what would have happened if this wonderful cartoon never managed to succeed the way it did...

Oh well.

Characters:

Pïnkie was like... Extra Pinkie Pie (while in control of herself) during the whole 2 parter.

If there is something I have to give to Applejack is how she manages to be badass in a world with magical powers and monstrous creatures... It reminds me fo certain someone. (also she usually gets all the ladies)

Twilight... The second part was pretty much a Twilight episode, I love how crazy she goes under pressure, I love how she can manage to be a competent hoof fighter when needed, I freaking love how she ended up destroying her house with Tom (and Tom should be freaking promoted to something akin to a "MLP Kool-Aid guy", I'm obviously talking about fanon here). Twilight was awesome in this chapter.

I think I spoke enough about Fluttershy, but I feel like I should also mention that I loved Flutterbitch, I'm going to treasure these moments because I bet I will not see anything of her in latter episodes (or maybe I will, but I would rather remain being pessimistic).

Rainbow Dash was surprisingly absent during a big chunk of the 2 parter...

Rarity knows where you live. She also knows (cartoon) kung fu... I actually loved that, it reminded me of episode 2 and how she kicked that manticore, I love to think there is that little side of her that we know little about. maybe she took self defence classes at some point. :V

Discord was awesome, and I'm sad to see him go like that... (Though I'm not liking how some bronies are giving him some sort of tragic backstory, most of them also shiting in Celestia in the process, I fear the coming of a second Lunar republic >_< )

And a special mention goes to that purple (or similar color) pony doing crazy stuff with a funny hat... I can't remember a lot of details about it, but I bet right now the herd is giving her a backstory, a name, an ask tumblr, fanart/comics, a musical theme, etc... I like to call it the Derpy treatment.

Overall this chapters were really good, way better whan what I was expecting (though since the only thing I had to compare them were the pilots, I wasn't really expecting much). I can't wait to see what Studio B (I think they changed names, didn't they?) has in mind for this season, I bet it's going to blow my mind. =D D= =D D= =D

p.d: I found the lack of a villian song, disturbing.

EDIT:

Sibsy approved.

gato approved of that video too.

Best fan animation I have ever seen, that might not look like I am saying a lot but really, this one was really impressive.

Edited by Octavia

So, I enjoyed episode 2 quite a lot.

It was very funny (Chocolate Milk C4s? Sign me up), but goddamn it sent shivers down my spine when the Mane 6(except for Twilight) started to gray out even more. Then it broke my heart when it finally happened to Twilight, and it still makes me feel terrible when I rewatch/see a picture of her like that. Twilight is 2nd best pony now.

Wonderful episode, probably my favorite right now.

The purple pony with the silly hat was named Screwball.

Derpy's got competition.

DerpyandScrewball.png

The Discord pitch reminds me a hell of a lot of the Robotnik art released for AoStH a couple of years ago, right down to the stuff written into the margins regarding where shortcuts could be made in the animation.

Also, I knew that the show had been in the works for at least a year before it aired, because Faust pulled all of her G4-stylized G1 ponies from her DA around the time Hasbro gave her a shot at making a pitch for FiM. I did not know that they had been working on characterization and plot ideas as early as 2008.

Edited by Tornado

I was on Deviantart when she started uploading them. They were uploaded pretty fast. They're really good sketches. Though, I'm kind of pissed at ei not letting Rainbow Dash pull more pranks. I'm certainly not going to miss ei.

I believe the reason for Fluttershy being so fast was because her friend was in danger, like a mother lifting a car off a baby (and how she gets the stare,) a combination of adrenaline and motivation. That, and during all the adventures they've gone on she may be getting stronger.

The Discord concept art is so awesome it needs to be posted on here.

big_baddie_by_fyre_flye-d4axlhy.jpg

It's pretty neat that Craig gave some helpful advice on Discord's head. The little curve definitely makes the head look more horse-like.

I like the notes regarding the animation. Instantly reminded me of the "draw expressively, not well" bit from the Milton Knight Robotnik sketches.

Do we know ei isn't coming back? I mean, it wasn't there for S2E1 or S2E2, but that may have been a temp thing.

Oh definitely love those notes. A character is nice to be on model but it's boring if they aren't expressive.

We don't know for sure but I'm sure most of us are hoping it isn't temporary. Oh I really hope it isn't. Because of ei, Rainbow Dash couldn't pull any more pranks after Griffon the Brush Off and they weren't happy about Rainbow Dash calling Twilight an "egghead". ei seems pretty strict on some things(Though the show still got quite a few things past the radar).

I've read about most of the ei interference, including all the crap that they were giving over what the writers wanted to do with Dash, but the problem I can see is that it really is of great benefit for Hasbro to mark the show as ei and put up with that; or at least it was when Season One was ongoing.

The $64,000 Question is, is that benefit still tangible when the show is one of the highest ratings draws on the channel anyways (and possibly/probably now that Season Two has started, the single highest); And how much of that success is due to ei?

Edited by Tornado

I'm not getting what the benefits of it are. If it restricted the writers so much the why would ei be beneficial?

I'm not getting what the benefits of it are. If it restricted the writers so much the why would ei be beneficial?

If your television or cable box or whatever has an electronic program guide, you can filter it to only find E/I programming; so parents can find educational stuff for their kids to watch. Sorta like a V-Chip. With that in mind, think of how many shows are created with E/I standards in mind. Think of how many of them aren't complete shit. Think of how many of those aren't at least a decade old. That leaves Sesame Street, pretty much. Now, technically, The Hub is exempt from E/I (as was Discovery Kids before it), but having FiM tagged as E/I still opens up a massive potential market that very few shows can actually compete with; and FiM actually being of quality essentially makes it so it has no competition.

This is also why there are no MLP ads on the channel other than those for the show itself, though they probably wouldn't be necessary anyways.

*Looks at topic to see over 100 pages of post* Fuck, well I don't know if this has been posted yet but here:

One guy getting his con poster signed asked for Jayson to give up some kind of hint for Episode 3. Maybe in riddle form? Jayson hemmed and hawed for a bit, then said

Tick-tock, time's running out.

Doctor Whooves episode?

Doctor Whooves episode.

Cartoon Network's parody show MAD just aired an episode that was supposedly to feature a segment called "Cowboys and Alien Force," a clear parody of "Cowboys and Aliens" and "Ben 10: Alien Force." The segment began normally with references from both properties, then the title card came up.

However, once the scene changed, something unexpected happened. After a quick mention of a "My Little Pony Bracelet," thousands of shining, multi-colored lights began to rain from the sky. They were Ponies. After their appearance, a new title card came up, revealing ANOTHER title:

COWBOYS AND EQUESTRIANS.

Needless to say, that pretty much made the episode. XD

Edited by chaoscontrol14