Awoo.

How did you get into Sonic the Hedgehog?

Chaos Incarnate

Well, I don't remember the exact year, sometime in the 90s. But, my uncle got a Sega Genesis and three games for it: Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, and some other bass fishing game. I started playing Sonic 1 for a couple of days and the farthest I ever got was Scrap Brain Act 1. I was much better at Sonic 2 (and the fishing game for that matter) so I obviously played that one a lot more. I remember making it as far as metropolis zone. I played those games for years. 

Nintendo games came and went, but I NEVER got tired of Sonic. The only Nintendo games that could hold a candle to Sonic were the Metroid games. Even Super Mario World, which I played and beat as a child, wasn't as good as Sonic to me. So I grew up in the minority of my fellow gamers and no matter how hard they tried to convince me that Mario was better, I wouldn't have any of it.

1994. Saw Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. loved it. Played the games over at friend's. Became obsessed with Sonic. Became a Sega fanboy.

Christmas 1995. Got a Super Nintendo. Never got a Mega Drive. Became a Nintendo fanboy. More or less forgot about Sonic.

2003. Still a Nintendo fanboy. Played Sonic Adventure and all of the classics over at a friend. Nostalgia set in. Became obsessed with Sonic once more.

2013. Still obsessed with Sonic, and will probably remain for decades to come. biggrin.png

I got into Sonic when I was 6. My dad brought home Sonic Mega Collection Plus for the PS2, and when I started playing it, I absolutely fell in love. 1 year later my dad bought me the Sonic the Hedgehog (Sonic SatAM) disc collection that contained all the episodes. I loved each episode and remembered it. Then, I got Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog and I was hooked onto Sonic.

I got into sonic back in '93. It was the time my uncle just brought a Sega Genesis and he played the original Sonic almost nonstop. Eventually he got bored and let me play; those were exciting times for me because since I was young the older kids in my family didn't let me play their games. Needless to say I was hooked instantly. I loved the game and even secretly played it late at night with the volume on mute trying to desperately to beat every level.

I loved the game and even secretly played it late at night with the volume on mute trying to desperately to beat every level.

Heehehee. Always fun to break the parents' rules... even more fun when you can do it with hedgehogs. Fun is infinite with Sega Enterprises and such!

My closest memory is leaving the game on all night so we wouldn't have to restart in the morning... it was tough to my 3-4 year old body. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

My closest memory is leaving the game on all night so we wouldn't have to restart in the morning... it was tough to my 3-4 year old body. tongue.png

LMFAO! Memories...

I first got introduced to sonic around 1997-1998 (when I was 5 or 6) when my Aunt and Uncle gave me their SEGA Genesis, along with their games [sonic 1, Street Fighter, Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure, Caesar's Palace, and NFL 95]. The ONLY two games out of those that I loved {I was too young to enjoy Street Fighters, Caesar's Palace, and NFL 95} were Buster's Hidden Treasure and Sonic 1. Also, I have a memory of going to a friends house next door to play Sonic 2, as they happened to have it (Unfortunately, either their TV or their Genesis's sound had gone out so I had to play it deaf) Of course, this being the last couple of years of the nineties, the Genesis was dead, as I lived in a small town in Mississippi at the time, and there were no dedicated video game stores, so Walmart had cleared out of Genesis' and moved on to selling PS1's, N64's, and Saturn's. I only got an N64 that generation, so it wasn't until the Gamecube that I truly got to see what truly existed in the series (I don't remember Walmart even selling the Dreamcast back in the day...) when my parents got me the GCN, Sonic Mega Collection, and SA2:B. Sadly, that means I experienced SA2 out of sequence. Also it means I am in a way part of the group that the haters over at GameFAQs flame the most...

I have always regretted being slightly too young to enjoy the Classics when they were new (I was born in 1993), but I am just happy a classic Sonic game (The FIRST Sonic game!) was the first I ever played.

Edited by Mr.Snarf

I had a grandma that had a Sega Genesis wich I played a lot of Sonic the hedgehog games on

after she sold the sega genesis I could play it on her computer from Realarcade or something.

then I went through my Pokemon craze for a few years

but when I turned 10 I got my first console, the Gamecube.

I bought sonic adventure 2 and got back into the Sonic franchise.

Well it all started in 2010. I had just bought Super Paper Mario and was having fun with it. Then I thought, "Hey, why don't I see if i can find Super Mario Bros. online?" I went online, and I found it and played it. Then I saw this game called Sonic The Hedgehog 8-bit. I played that and had fun with it, until Bridge Zone. Then that next Saturday, I found Sonic X on TV. I loved it. And I also saw commercials for Sonic Colors on TV. I went and bought it in 2011 and played it every time I could. As for Super Paper Mario, I gave it back.

It started when my friend showed me a game website called FreeWebArcade. On there, I found a game called Super Smash Flash and I really enjoyed playing as Sonic. Then, I found Sonic X and watched an episode (Dam Scam <----english dub) and became crazy about Sonic and tred to learn everything about him! STILL OBSESSED TODAY!!!!

It all started on the ps2 for me, i got the mega collection plus and the rest is history, lol But my current favorite sonic game is Sonic the hedgehog on ps3. :)

I was first introduced to Sonic by my parents at the age of 5. They had brought home a Sega genesis along with Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Since then, I pretty much grew up with sonic games, but ultimately got really into it when playing Sonic Advance 2. Eventually, I wanted to know everything there was to Sonic - comic books, history, movies, voice actors, games, characters, music, etc. The rest, is of course, history. wink.png

• 2 weeks later...

So, in 2003 at the age of 3 I watched Sonic X on Jetix (Miss that channel.) all the time. My parents then bought me Heroes when it was released. Me and my mum always played the game all the time. I would play in the afternoon and lose all the lives :P then my mum would come home from work and play it long after I went to sleep. My dad played it sometimes too. I got Sonic Mega Collection Plus when it came out. I was in Blockbuster with my dad to rent Need For Speed (I think) and I saw it on the shelf. My dad got it straight away for me. I wasn't allowed to get Shadow The Hedgehog when it came out but, I got Sonic 06' the next year. I got Shadow a couple of months later. I was a big Sonic fan for a long time. I loved Unleashed but I didn't know how to play Secret Rings (still don't). I lost interest for a couple of years (2009-2010) but immediately got hooked again with the announcement of Generations. I'm now the fan I am today.

Well, when I was younger (around 5 or 6, I think, which dates it around 1997 or 1998), my dad took me to my Aunt's house. There, I met my cousin, Sean, for the first time. He had a Sega Genesis with Sonic 1 and Sonic 3. It was love at first sight.

I didn't own a Genesis, though. I was a Nintendo boy and my parents definitely weren't going to support libraries for multiple consoles (at least, not at the time). So, instead, I subscribed to the comics and bought the VHS's for the cartoons, whenever I could find them.

Basically, my inablity to own the video games caused me to soak in every other Sonic-related piece of media, to compensate for it. At least, that's how I've pieced it together in my head.

when i was a little child at the age of three, I am 17 now, gonna be 18 this year, not important though, my older brothers bought me a video game system so i would stop playing on their Playstation, and Super Nintendo, back then their wasn't any other gaming systems, so they bought me, a Sega Genesis, and Sonic Spinball, along with Sonic 1-Sonic and Knuckles, 

On the night that I was first elected as president I received a Sega Genesis along with all the Sonic games as a gift. Never looked back.

• Thumbs Up 7

I don't remember the occasion, but I remember getting a Sega Genesis when I was 3 years old and it was bundled with Sonic the Hedgehog 2, which was the first video game I've ever played. I eventually played Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Sonic and Knuckles, and the horrid Sonic Spinball a year or two later. I took a break from the series until Sonic Adventure 2 was released for the Gamecube in 2002. From that point onwards, I've played every console Sonic game, including the spinoffs, and Sonic Rush and Sonic Generations(3DS version).

I'm honestly pretty happy I've stuck with this franchise up to this day, despite its dark ages.

I'd never get "out" of Sonic the Hedgehog, but how I got into him was a story I will always remember

When I was around 3 years old, my cousins had a SEGA mega Drive and I used to go over to their place a lot.

We used to play all of their games and we'd stay up ridiculously late (until 8PM!!!! :o) playing Sonic, Alladin, Ecco, Stimpy's Invention, you name it.

They introduced Sonic to me because they thought i'd love it. I did. They are geniuses.

As time went on I got better and better and started beating my cousins at it and started even to help them play the game even at around 4 - 5. 

I used to be so good at that game at my young age that I could even jump out of the rising pink liquid in Chemical Plant over the rotating blocks BEFORE the liquid even rose. Now when I play Sonic 2 these days I can't seem to do that anymore...

However, Sonic 2 was the first game I have ever played and since then I have been a dedicated fan of Sonic ever since.

Growing up, in Sydney, visiting Sega world, was the happiest place for me, I am still upset about how they closed. I still miss that place but remember the building, the Time Travelling Entrance....holding up the biggest lines when playing demos of Sonic Adventure for around 40 minutes........woooooooooww....... 

I also love the Sonic the Hedgehog TV Shows and I remember Sonic Underground was one of my favorites because.....HE HAD AN AWESOME GUITAR!!!!!

I still watch them today thanks to all of the fantastic home DVD  releases. 

So basically that is my story. Sonic music is great and I love it too. That's how I got into Crush 40, when I played Sonic Adventure for the first time in 1998 and beat it around 2 years later and heard all of the music and loved it.

So yeah i've been a fan ever since and nothing about Sonic dissapoints me at all. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The year was 2003.  I was 7.  I had known of Sonic before hand and I was interested in him however when I saw the advert of Sonic X on CITV, my obsession became so big that it was completely ridiculous.  I can still remember the advert today

He's blue, he's fast, he's a hedgehog, it's Sonic X.

Afterwards I wanted to get every sonic game imaginable, which wasn't possible for me as I was 7 and I barely had a proper understanding of money.  I remember saving up for Sonic Heroes for my PS2 at the time.  £2 a week for about 2 months before I had enough money to get it.  I tried buying it on Play.com but every time I pressed buy it just sent me to the same page.  I was really confused and upset.  Eventually I got it at Argos and I played the heck out of it.

This sort of kept happening with every new sonic game until 2008/9 (i can't fully remember).  I lost interest in Sonic completely.  Like, literally, I hated the guy and got annoyed every time someone mentioned him.

It was like this for 4 years.  Around October 2012.  I thought I would look back as to how the franchise was going and all of a sudden.  I was a fan again.

I believe it was 2004, I was 5 at the time, and I got Sonic Heroes and Sonic Mega Collection Plus as Christmas presents. Even though I sucked at the classics, I loved Sonic Heroes. Because of this, I asked my mom to get Shadow the next year. Surprisingly, I loved it. After that, in 2006, my brother finally gave me his Gamecube after 2 years of waiting, and my second game (right after Pokemon Colosseum, but before Melee) to play was SA2:B, and the rest, as they say, was history as SA2:B is now my second favorite game of all time.

Edited by miketastic5

When I was younger, like four or five, my family got our first ever computer. Windows 98 or 95 I think. Around that time I managed to get a couple of games for the computer, among them were Sonic and Knuckles Collection, Sonic CD, Sonic R, and many others. Because of this, I have a bit of a soft spot for the MIDI versions of the Sonic 3 and Knuckles songs, which most people I talk to seem to hate. I also remember having so many issues with Sonic R, at one point having a game where the characters were jumbles of polygons and made very odd sounds when moving. Another time I had problems controlling the game, to the point where I begged my much older brother to use his joystick, which I believed would let me control it.

I recall my brother and a few of my friends having a Dreamcast, so I loved Sonic Adventure, but never got to play it since I was at least only 5 at the time. Wasn't really trusted with that stuff yet. Funny story, I got interested in the Gamecube because I saw an advert for Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, and til then I thought the Gamecube wasn't even Nintendo related.

I got into Sonic at a very young age. I was probably three or four years old and we got Sega Genesis for Christmas and it came with Sonic The Hedgehog 2 and Streets of Rage 2. I instantly fell in love with Sonic The Hedgehog 2 and played it for hours everyday. The funny thing is the Sega Genesis was actually my older sister's Christmas gift but she was never really into video games. I guess you can say that this is how I became a video game lover and a Sonic lover. Then I always watched "Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog" (AOSTH) and "Satam" every morning before school. I remember I would even cry and get upset if I woke up late and missed an episode. At the time I didn't own any of the other Sonic games yet and we were gold members at the local Blockbuster so my mother would always rent Sonic 1 and Sonic 3 for me on a daily basis as well as Sonic and Knuckles and Sonic 3D Blast. She also would rent the VHS tapes of the AOSTH and Satam cartoons for me. I loved Sonic so much as a little girl that my mom got me a really rare Sonic plushie for my fifth birthday and I took that thing with me everywhere. I took it to school with me everyday and slept with it every night. I still have him along with several other Sonic plushies, a 1992 Sonic bank, and some Sonic figures.

Then when Blockbuster was getting rid of their Sega Genesis games to fill up the isles with N64, Saturn, and Playstation 1 games I got lucky because we were friends with the workers and owners of the store. They literally took all of their Sega Genesis games and put them in a box for me and gave them to me for free. So that's how I got to own all the Genesis Sonic games as well as other great games. Then of course the 3D Sonic games came out like Adventure 1 and 2 which I also loved. It's really all history from there. I own every single Sonic game for every console and I'm just as obsessed with Sonic now as I was when I was a little girl. XD I honestly don't think I'll ever stop loving that cobalt hedgehog or grow out of him. I would share him with my children when I have them and pass the legacy of Sonic The Hedgehog on lol. I already got my little niece who's eight into Sonic and I'm proud of it. :)

• Thumbs Up 2

I own every single Sonic game for every console

O_o

All of them? Like every single one? Even the spinoffs? I can't even imagine how many games that is.

O_o

All of them? Like every single one? Even the spinoffs? I can't even imagine how many games that is.

Yup! Every one! XD I actually have all of my games in either container bins (The N64 and Sega Genesis games) and then all my other games are neatly placed in my bookshelves in my room. So whenever I feel like playing a certain game I just slip out the box from the bookshelf and give it a play. I'm very neat and careful when it comes to my games, consoles, and controllers. Right now in my room I have my Sega Genesis, Sega Dreamcast, N64, Nintendo Wii, and my Xbox 360 all hooked up to my TV at once using this special box that allows me to plug in multiple things to my TV. Lately though it's going to become harder to get every single Sonic game due to so many new game systems and them being extremely expensive such as the Wii U and the Nintendo 3DS. But I'm gonna try my best. I love playing the games too much. <3

Mine's actually rather boring.

I was about 9 and was obsessed with dinosaurs. I was looking up some stuff on the internet and came across the 4Kids site's Dinosaur King flash games. I got bored quickly, and decided to explore the rest of the site. I came across Sonic X, and it just went from there.

4 years later, I'm still a huge Sonic fan, and I don't think that will ever change.