Awoo.

How did you get into Sonic the Hedgehog?

Chaos Incarnate

I first got into the Sonic The Hedgehog franchise since I was really young. If my memory if correct, my first Sonic game that got me hooked is Sonic Adventure. My obsession grew over the years and even had a photo with a man dressed up in Sonic during Sonic Adventure 2's launch. 

Right now I am still an avid fan, don't care how old I am tongue.png .

I got into Sonic when I was about 4 years old.
I got into the series when my parents bought me Sonic 2 for my birthday,
I didn't get into it at first, but later on, I was having the time of my life
I was rolling into enemies at high speed, 
The wonderful colors in the background(During the time),
and the soundtrack that I could hear all day.
So i'm thanking my parents for getting me Sonic 2 for my birthday. =D

At some point in the 90's, my mother bought a Mega Drive. From the age of 2, I was constantly sitting in the Kitchen playing Sonic 1 and sucking at it...Until my Mega Drive Broke.

It wasn't until I played Sonic Heroes with a friend in 2003 that I fell in love with series again.

Been playing Sonic ever since.

As a kid, I would watch an occasional episode of Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. However, it wasn't something I was actively interested in. However, my brother got Sonic Adventure 2: Battle from the Gamecube. I, being the curious eleven year-old that I was, decided to try it for myself. I remember loving it so much and I played it constantly back then.

However, it wasn't until my seventeenth birthday that I really started getting into the series. That was the day I got the complete series for Sonic SatAM. I was enthralled by the setting and the characters. To be honest, it was because I was so into that show that I started visiting Sonic forums and looking at all the different fan works of the series.

And, as they say, the rest is history. ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks everyone, for making me feel old!

I was bought a Megadrive 2 bundled with Sonic 2 for my 7th or 8th birthday, and even though I had another game or 2, they barely got a look-in because they jut weren't as good. I played it for a solid 3 months until Christmas, when I received Sonic 1, and went on to play that to death as well. I was hooked from Sonic 2 onwards, and actually feel quite privileged to say that since Sonic 2 I've kept up with the major new releases as they came out (for the most part - SA2 I didn't get for a year or so after it came out, and Colours I didn't get for about 3 years).

It's a thing of beautiful nostalgia, not just the games themselves, but the memories attached to them. Sonic 3 and a christmas morning. Sonic 3D sitting on the doormat waiting for me to get back from holiday. Sonic Heroes being the best and most thoughtful birthday present a generally self absorbed and selfish brother could give (he doesn't get me presents anymore at all, so he really knocked it out of the park.) I'm not even a tiny bit ashamed to say that I traded in my PS2 and almost every game I had plus a load of D'S games and stuff to get an xbox 360 JUST for Sonic 06. If that game never existed I probably wouldn't have an xbox even now!

I guess I'd say I even feel a sense of appreciation for Sonic, in that I consider myself a gamer. Playing video games is my hobby and I enjoy it so much it's crazy. And it's all down to that arrogant little blue dude on that September

morning 20something years ago!

• Thumbs Up 1

I got into it right around the time when Sonic the Hedgehog was first released on the Genesis in 1991, when I was four years old, thanks to my dad. Once a very avid gamer, he bought the Genesis and the Sonic game and played it continually. Not long after, I began playing it and later developed an interest in the series that hasn't since left me. ^_^

Edited by Dark Qiviut

I first got into Sonic when I had beaten Pikmin 2 for the Gamecube about 6 years ago. I was looking for a good game to play next and a lot of my friends were suggesting that I get Shadow the Hegdehog. I have played it now and realize that my friends were being dicks and I was about 10. I asked my mom to buy me it when she was out at the store. She came back saying that they didn't have it in stock, so she got me Sonic Heroes because it had the same character on it, or at least that was what she thought. I played Sonic Heroes and beat the Final story, I was really into this game and that was where my Sonic fandom began.

I will say that since this is where I began playing Sonic that I didn't understand a lot of the criticisms with the franchise. Like Shadow the Hegdehog was terrible and Big the Cat was the most useless character ever, because of the Sonic Adventure Big th Cat levels.

Shadow the Hedgehog was terrible? Who the hell said that?

And Big the Cat is useless? No way, I understand when people say Cream the Rabbit is useless, but not Big.

Edited by Mysterious X

Shadow the Hedgehog was terrible? Who the hell said that?

80% of the fanbase?

• Thumbs Up 1

How did I get in to Sonic? A very long time ago!

Back in the very early 90's my mother brought home a little pink blob that smelled and cried a lot. Pink blob aka my little brother was also very sicky as a young baby and much of my parent's time was spent visiting hospitals and such so I got overlooked sometimes. Or that must have been how my folks felt, I don't remember much of it all to be honest, being 5 years was 21 years ago, I've slept a lot since then!

But I do remember Dad bringing home a Master System, probably to keep me out from under their feet whilst they tended to my brother, maybe to stop me feeling so left out... Who knows? But that was the precise moment I got in to Sonic.

What stands out to me most is the music. The first 5 seconds of Bridge Zone sends me whizzing back to the house I grew up in and the times I spent with my uncle showing off how far I could get. (Jungle Zone act 2 if you were wondering)!

That same uncle gave me his Mega Drive a year or 2 later because he'd gotten married and didn't really have time for it, at least that was the reason we were given at the time wink.png

So I grew up in the 8/16-bit era. After my Mega Drive and aged about 12 my Dad got a PS1 so I had a break from Sonic games for a fair few years until I got given a Gamecube with SA2B when I was 17 where it was like being reunited with a long lost friend biggrin.png And we've never been apart since!

BTW, I can do Jungle Zone act 2 these days wink.png

Edited by HaylzHedgehog86
  • Thumbs Up 1

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELL. Where do I begin? xD

To start it off, my dad bought my mum a Mega Drive with Columns, Ecco the Dolphin and Sonic 1 as a Christmas present back in 1991 before I was born. I assume they got Sonic 2, 3 and Spinball (no CD, S&K or 3D Blast memories for me :c) when they came out afterwards. 

After I was born, my mum and dad used to play games such as Columns a lot, but the one that stuck out to me the most as I watched them absent-mindedly... Take a random guess. xD

Yup, the Sonic games. Wasn't the biggest fan of Spinball (my dad saw me beat Toxic Caves a few months ago on an emulator with save states and he shouted "WAIT, THERE'S A SECOND LEVEL!?" xD) because for us, it was WAAAAY too difficult. 

Sonic 1, 2 and 3 though... Dear lord. So many good memories. I remember everything. Struggling with the Sonic 2 special stages, getting mad at the Mystic Cave pit, "herpaderp what do i do with this red-and-white barrel", finding the Sonic 1 level select, using some Game Genie codes after we bought the codebook, discovering the remains of Hidden Palace while randomly mashing numbers in the thing... So much nostalgia!

When I got a GameCube in 2002, I had it to myself. One of the first games I owned was Sonic Adventure 2. I also played Sonic Adventure, Heroes and Shadow around that time. And... yeah. That's how I became a Sonic nut. xD

Edited by Super Spindash
  • Thumbs Up 1

80% of the fanbase?

Dude... What's the deal? You seriously have a personal problem with me. Dude! Relax! Chill!

I wasn't asking 'who' said it, I was apparently expressing my strong disagreement with anyone who says that, no matter how big the number of people who do is.

Notice that I edited the post about three hours and half later? That's because I wrote something stupid and then gave it a second thought, I found it rather ridiculous and might be somehow offensive to some, so I removed everything I wrote after "Who said that" and added "the hell". True story.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELL. Where do I begin? xD

To start it off, my dad bought my mum a Mega Drive with Columns, Ecco the Dolphin and Sonic 1 as a Christmas present back in 1991 before I was born. I assume they got Sonic 2, 3 and Spinball (no CD, S&K or 3D Blast memories for me :c) when they came out afterwards. 

After I was born, my mum and dad used to play games such as Columns a lot, but the one that stuck out to me the most as I watched them absent-mindedly... Take a random guess. xD

Yup, the Sonic games. Wasn't the biggest fan of Spinball (my dad saw me beat Toxic Caves a few months ago on an emulator with save states and he shouted "WAIT, THERE'S A SECOND LEVEL!?" xD) because for us, it was WAAAAY too difficult. 

Sonic 1, 2 and 3 though... Dear lord. So many good memories. I remember everything. Struggling with the Sonic 2 special stages, getting mad at the Mystic Cave pit, "herpaderp what do i do with this red-and-white barrel", finding the Sonic 1 level select, using some Game Genie codes after we bought the codebook, discovering the remains of Hidden Palace while randomly mashing numbers in the thing... So much nostalgia!

When I got a GameCube in 2002, I had it to myself. One of the first games I owned was Sonic Adventure 2. I also played Sonic Adventure, Heroes and Shadow around that time. And... yeah. That's how I became a Sonic nut. xD

Oh... Ecco... I literally love this game!

Edited by Mysterious X

Dude... What's the deal? You seriously have a personal problem with me. Dude! Relax! Chill!

All I said was most people hate SHtH. If you somehow misconstrued that as an insult, I'm not the one with the problem

I wasn't asking 'who' said it, I was apparently expressing my strong disagreement with anyone who says that, no matter how big the number of people who do is.

Well, you worded it poorly, even after editing your post.

Edited by Big McLargehuge

All I said was most people hate SHtH. If you somehow misconstrued that as an insult, I'm not the one with the problem

Hmm, well, I didn't take it as an insult, despite the fact that it  sounded a little sarcastic, but why were you the only one who replied? And it's not like the first time you fiercely attack me like I'm the stupidest newbie, so that's why I thought, if it was someone else, then the one having the problem is definitely not you.

Well, you worded it poorly, even after editing your post.

I admit it, I worded it poorly, I found nothing better to say than the stupid thing already said, and I thought someone might have already read it (yeah, why not? 3 hours and half, that's quite some time) so I didn't want to change it into something completely different, it was enough for me to remove the addition and keep it simple.

By the way, saying "even after editing your post", how do you know I worded it poorly 'before' I edited my post?!

Woah, chill out everyone! This isn't a thread dedicated to arguing and fighting, it's to reminisce on how you became a sonic fan! Everyone has their opinions, and their's no reason to trash talk each other.

Wow! We're not.. 'trash' talking each other (or arguing, or fighting), we're absolutely cool, aren't we Mr. Big?

We're just trying to settle a few things, you know, clear a few things out, get done with some misunderstanding, in fact, I was willing to take it to private messages if it seemed to take longer than just a few posts, only to avoid spamming and locking the thread, and all the things we don't like to see them happen.

But trust me, everything will be fine, we're not gonna slaughter each other.

Been a Sonic fan ever since I got Adventure 2 Battle on the Christmas I got the Gamecube. Year later I got Sonic Heroes at launch, and then apart from those two games, the only other contact I got from Sonic was with Sonic X. From 2004 to 2011, I was just playing Adventure 2 Battle and Heroes. I got All-Stars Racing on the Wii, and Advance 2 and 3 [or 1, I forgot] but no major console releases. On 2011, the game that would peak my interest in Sonic came along. The first trailer of Sonic Generations. I followed that game and eventually got it on PS3. Since then I got Sonic Adventure DX on the Gamecube, Colours on the Wii, played a demo of Unleashed on the X360, Mega Collection Plus on PC, and most recently, Sonic Generations on 3DS, both Rivals games off the PS Store, and the entire Sonic Hits Collection off Steam. [meaning I had Generations, Adventures 1 and 2, and All-Stars Racing again, but I don't care. I'm just enjoying playing them again].

Now of course, I'm waiting for this latest Sonic announcement, before seeing whether to wait for it while playing all the other games, or buy the games I've missed.

Sonic The Hedgehog was my second choice at the time since my first console was a NES ( which is till have ) But as time passed on i got introduced to Sonic 1 on the Mega Drive and fell in love with it. I can't remember how old i was ( maybe 5-6 ), but i can remember the bright colours and speedy blue hedgehog racing through levels with ease which was so much fun and the satisfaction of hitting badniks along the way was priceless. 

Ever since i've been hooked on the little blue guy and can't get enough of him. Now i go to events involving Sonic. I am now a serious collector of Sonic and i love playing the games and listening to the endless soundtrack from various games and shows. But i'll tell you one thing. Until the day i die i'll never sell my sonic merchandise to anyone or for any reason. It's my hobby and a special part of my life.

I can't remember which was first...

My sister had a SEGA Gensis so one day I hooked it up and got to play Sonic 2 and Sonic Spinball for the first time. I don't think I've ever gotten through Sonic Spinball to this day, ha-ha!

My Uncle bought Sonic 3 & Knuckles for the PC, so I played that almost religiously. Still my favorite game of the franchise to this day. 

A friend of mine let me play Sonic Adventure 2: Battle with him, which I think was my reintroduction to the games, but I'm not entirely sure. It was the first time I was introduced to characters like Amy, Shadow, and Rouge. 

All of these happened when I was around eight or nine. I know Sonic Heroes played as my revival into it and lead me to sites like Sonic Stadium. I used to spend hours in the music section of the old website. c':

• 1 month later...

i guess sonic's cuteness but i remember i was obsessed with this one sonic game, and its gone from there.

My best friend showed me these videos on Youtube called: Sonic's Story, Shadow's Story, and Silver's Story (They were basically Sonic '06 cutscenes one after another.) I found the story intruiging, and then I bought Sonic and the Black Knight, and I loved it.

MY older brother purchased all the Genesis games and introduced me to it as a kid. I was hooked from the start. Safe to say, Knuckles was definitely my favorite character.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't remember the particular order but my family had an old video cassette tape of AoSth and I also have been around Sonic Adventure 2 on multiple occassions. Playing it with my little brother over a certain Summer vacation at my grandma's house in New York City was some of the most fun I've ever had in my entire LIFE. 

And afterwards, we got to re-experience our next journey with Sonic Heroes. I'll never stop being a fan.