Awoo.

Favorite Non-Robotnik Sonic Villain(s)?

Tani Coyote

Robotnik / Eggman has more or less always been the central antagonist, regardless of being the final boss.

Across continuities, however, it's not unusual for him to periodically be displaced by some other bad guy.

So, this is your thread for shouting out your favorite non-giant talking egg bad guys!

===

I have two favorites.

Dark Enerjak (Archie's Sonic Universe, issues 25-28)

In a world where Knuckles went mad with power and managed to crush its Sonic (the opposite result creating the "Light Mobius" or X Years Later timeline), this guy came to be. Consumed by a desire to better Mobius, Knuckles gradually slipped further and further into delusions of heroism. He convinced himself everyone around him was supporting an anarchic world, and that it was his duty to purify Mobius of its impurities. He vaporised Eggman, forcibly unified the echidnas, ripped Sonic's soul clear out of his body, and then proceeded to turn every villain and hero alike into a soulless shell.

He is an excellent exploration of how narrowmindedness can quickly turn heroic ideals villainous. His wall of trophies was certainly one of the most morbid things ever seen in any Sonic continuity, and that he would use his former allies' (and even his lover's) souls to power his nigh-invincible foot soldiers just highlights how far gone he is.

Alternate_Enerjak.jpg

Plus he just looks badass (his new design, in fact, is said to have helped Ian Flynn become enthusiastic about writing the arc at all). Dimitrijak and the first Knuckles Enerjak don't have ANYTHING on this guy.

And true to his Knuckles roots, despite all that aura of smugness and sophistication he exudes, he quickly degenerates into anger and rage when Silver's able to start handing him his own backside. He finally gets what he deserves, being drained of his power and being rendered a helpless old man.

Super Sonic (Sonic the Comic)

STC100-SuperSonic.jpg

Completely unpredictable, he regularly alternates between complete insanity, sadistic cruelty, or being able to remain calm and calculating. He even had his good side, so his personality really is made of chaos.

Even if it could just be chalked up to different writers, how he's been able to so quickly alternate his nature and goals at a given moment truly makes him unpredictable, the trait that's supposed to make Sonic himself so intimidating an opponent. Making matters worse is Sonic's dependence on him to get out of tough situations; needless to say this doesn't sound like it'll end well.

And based on STCO's epic use of Supes as Silver's Iblis, it doesn't end well at all.

Overall I think he's a pretty cool concept, and definitely one of StC's distinctive features.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm going to admit. I was not expecting a Comic reference. I was expecting you to mention Video game villains. 

Video Game wise, There is only one villain that was good enough to do his own thing. Mephiles. Sure he was another hedgehog (sort of) but he was dark. He was awesome. He fucking killed sonic. The one thing Eggy has not done yet. That alone put him at the top. 

Dark Enerjak (Archie's Sonic Universe, issues 25-28)

In a world where Knuckles went mad with power and managed to crush its Sonic (the opposite result creating the "Light Mobius" or X Years Later timeline), this guy came to be. Consumed by a desire to better Mobius, Knuckles gradually slipped further and further into delusions of heroism. He convinced himself everyone around him was supporting an anarchic world, and that it was his duty to purify Mobius of its impurities. He vaporised Eggman, forcibly unified the echidnas, ripped Sonic's soul clear out of his body, and then proceeded to turn every villain and hero alike into a soulless shell.

He is an excellent exploration of how narrowmindedness can quickly turn heroic ideals villainous. His wall of trophies was certainly one of the most morbid things ever seen in any Sonic continuity, and that he would use his former allies' (and even his lover's) souls to power his nigh-invincible foot soldiers just highlights how far gone he is.

Alternate_Enerjak.jpg

Plus he just looks badass (his new design, in fact, is said to have helped Ian Flynn become enthusiastic about writing the arc at all). Dimitrijak and the first Knuckles Enerjak don't have ANYTHING on this guy.

And true to his Knuckles roots, despite all that aura of smugness and sophistication he exudes, he quickly degenerates into anger and rage when Silver's able to start handing him his own backside. He finally gets what he deserves, being drained of his power and being rendered a helpless old man.

Enerjak for damn sure. If there's any character that deserves to be in a spin-off fighting game, it's Enerjak. I have the entire Silver saga of SU just because this bad ass mofo is in it.

Enerjak for damn sure. If there's any character that deserves to be in a spin-off fighting game, it's Enerjak. I have the entire Silver saga of SU just because this bad ass mofo is in it.

Heck yeah, that story will always remain one of my favorites. Plus I think it's neat that the X Years Later continuity is actually spawning from the same event; they named it Light Mobius for a reason I suppose. If Sonic wins, the future is more or less good. If Knuckles wins, the future is Hell.

I actually wanted to cosplay as Dark Enerjak for Sonic Boom this year but I dunno how many would get who I was. :P

He's one of those "Up to Eleven" villains I think. We've never before seen a villain who was so twisted, so horrible, so ruthless. Robotnik's best weapon was being able to enslave you, but at least it was reversible. Enerjak played with your very SOUL, and Jani-Ca has some doubt that the process can be reversed. Knuckles robbed everyone in his world of their humanity, essentially. As pitiful as he looks once he's drained of his power, he's easily the most ruthless villain, and the most deserving of being kicked in the shins.

That he came out of Knuckles just makes it better.

Reading Flynn's blogs, I also liked how he had some serious inadequacy issues. Knuckles was obsessed with proving himself superior to Sonic; he boasts about how he beat Eggman while Sonic just played around, and how he brought a chaotic world into order. He felt a desperate need to prove himself to everyone else, who thought him an idiot who just guards a giant rock. And he proved himself indeed.

To be the most evil bastard to have ever graced the Sonic continuity's name.

I'm going to admit. I was not expecting a Comic reference. I was expecting you to mention Video game villains. 

Video Game wise, There is only one villain that was good enough to do his own thing. Mephiles. Sure he was another hedgehog (sort of) but he was dark. He was awesome. He fucking killed sonic. The one thing Eggy has not done yet. That alone put him at the top. 

And then he turned into a mute angel thingy.

I mean, what?

I was expecting him, being the conscious mind of Solaris, to be taunting you as you fought him, but no. It was just some orchestral / opera music in the background while Solaris just kind of took whatever you threw at him.

I prefer sentient opponents to mindless beasts as bosses, but that's just me. (See Ghirahim in Skyward Sword)

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice
  • Thumbs Up 1

Killing Sonic =/= making him a good villain.

Besides, Mephiles only killed him with a cheap shot in the back. If Eggman were to ever kill Sonic, he'd do it at least with dignity.

Mephilies was also really stupid. His whole plan was a convoluted mess that in the grand scheme of things was pointless. If his intention was to seem all so cunning and smart, he failed. But that's cool if you like him.

Personally Merlina was my favorite villain. She had more to her than just being a baddy.

As terrible his scheme is, I do find Mephiles so entertaining. He tries to be this manipulative bastard, and while it fails mostly because of the plot being retarded, I love his lines ("Like a chicken coming from an egg"), the fact he's voiced by Dan Green, the fact he does that spinning move off screen, and the ham and cheese nature of him, especially once he's killed Sonic and is basically orgasmic at the prospect of rejoining with Iblis. And you know what, I did genuinely like the idea he would try and corrupt Shadow to do evil while being Shadow's Shadow, only it would have worked better in the Shadow game itself rather than having Black Doom in all his retardation.

Captain Whisker and his cronies are also enjoyable.

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 3

Plus, killing Sonic doesn't mean all that much when 06's plot didn't really treat him as important as Shadow or Silver.

If anything, killing him made him more important.

But for villains other than Eggman, Erazor, Merlina and I guess Captain Whiskers for me.

Edited by DarkLightDragon
  • Thumbs Up 1

Killing Sonic =/= making him a good villain.

Besides, Mephiles only killed him with a cheap shot in the back. If Eggman were to ever kill Sonic, he'd do it at least with dignity.

Who needs honor, it freaking worked! XD

Personally Merlina was my favorite villain. She had more to her than just being a baddy.

Oh definitely. It's always nice to see villains who aren't generically evil. She actually has some sympathetic goals. Her twist as being the main villain was also very wonderful.

Plus, killing Sonic doesn't mean all that much when 06's plot didn't really treat him as important as Shadow or Silver.

If anything, killing him made him more important.

Indeed. They had someone to destroy Iblis in the past and future... but not the present...

Who needs honor, it freaking worked! XD

Oh definitely. It's always nice to see villains who aren't generically evil. She actually has some sympathetic goals. Her twist as being the main villain was also very wonderful.

Indeed. They had someone to destroy Iblis in the past and future... but not the present...

Better to have honor than be a coward.

• Thumbs Up 1

Better to have honor than be a coward.

Given that he's the consciousness of a God, I think the only thing he cares for is absolute victory...

Who needs honor when you can win! :P

• Thumbs Up 2

Aside from Eggman?

Erazor Djinn.

Erazor_Djinn.jpg

What a total badass. Very powerful, very competent and incredibly evil. Literally the only things that stopped this guy was his own lamp and even then, the only way in which Sonic dealt with him after his Darkspine form couldn't truly finish him was to use his own magic against him, which in itself is a testament to the immensity of his power.

Everything about Erazor's scheme and mannerisms were totally diabolical from emotional manipulation of his previous lover/friend to blackmailing someone else to do his dirty work on pain of death to summoning a robotic monstrosity from the very bowels of hell to expand upon his dirty work. Did I mention how he showed absolutely zero remorse for murdering Shahra and even went to the lengths of kicking the dog by mocking her power as a "Mere genie of the ring" after he did so?

Erazor is pretty unique as a villain in that he showed absolutely no desire to repent and had the audacity to be defiant right to the very end both in his efforts to resist fulfilling Sonic's wishes to the way he tries to goad Shahra into defending him when Sonic has condemned him to his prison. His plot to gain the World Rings were beneficial to him on both counts - Get Sonic to deliver him the goods by cursing him with an eventually fatal curse under the pretense that he'll remove the curse if this prerequisite is fulfilled when he has every intention of killing him and if Sonic refuses, let him die anyway. He accomplishes this Morton's Fork in just the 2nd cutscene.

Take heed Mephiles; This is what evil and competence looks like.

Goddamnit. The one day I ran out of likes.

What I liked about Erazor Djinn was that he and Merlina use the same spell at one point. That's pretty ominous at indicating that they both have the same idea for Sonic - use him to gain an edge in the book world and then dispose of him.

I didn't complete Secret Rings but you make some interesting points about Erazor's character, Vertekins; he really is one of the more sinister and great villains of the main continuity.

Hmmm... I don't really know. They all kinda suck to me, or at the very least pale in comparison to the magnificence that is Doctor Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik, but then again, that is to be expected :P I guess I have to say Chaos. He was a mindless silent killer driven off the edge of sanity by warmongering and loss. He betrayed Eggman coldly to kill everyone in Station Square himself, proving he was just using the good Doc', as opposed to the other way around as we'd been led to believe, the whole game. I always liked that little twist, and of course his theme song was fucking awesome.

Erazor is the only one that comes to mind, I mean his plan made more sense than mephiles', I mean he had multiple opportunities to create a bad future

1. He could've rejoined w/iblis in the past, when they separate

2. He could've said nothing to silver

3. He could've killed sonic himself earlier in the game,

I mean I like his personality and that theme: 

Shoot Just listen to this remix: 

Edited by Sonana
  • Thumbs Up 1

The thing about Mephiles is that his big moment was just a cheap shot and all he does is laugh not even really comprehending who he killed rather what he represented. At least when Eggman thinks he killed Sonic in SA2 he refers to him as his admirable adversary. Mephiles himself as a villain did have a lot of potential but just ended up flawed, kind of like, well you know.

Erazor Djinn certainly is a fair choice, as I don't believe I ever completed Secret Rings either. I liked that game a lot though and have been meaning to look back into it.

I'd love to say Metal Sonic or Shadow if they hadn't lost so much credibility as villains since their first appearances. Heroes essentially ruined both of them.

I think Chaos is also a good choice. The gods must be angry. He's an ancient entity shaken to the core by humanity the Echidnas who storm the Chao sanctuary wishing to harness the power of the emeralds for war and destruction, the earliest display of such aggression. His response as an animal lover is a reflection of their anger, as he is after all power enriched by the heart, and he all but destroys the world before he is locked away by a guardian who while having the right intentions did take an easier way out than solving the problem. 

And so the pain in his heart grows until he is finally released by Eggman who is unaware that the beast has bigger plans for him. And through a twist of symbiotic events Chaos acquires 6 emeralds and his tail thanks to Eggman. He is defeated before he can reach his perfect form but only after a couple battles. And while heroes rest easy thinking the worst of their problems are over after still dealing with Eggman who served as further distraction, Chaos goes and finds the final emerald and proceeds to finish what he started. He is never technically defeated only brought to peace by Super Sonic purifying his heart. Generally I'm not one for a Monster of the Week either, but I'm willing to make an exception here, as not only did Chaos start that trend in the games anyway, he also started the make Eggman look like a bitch trend and actually had more going on than some will give him credit for. And did I mention Sonic didn't really beat him?

Edited by ThisMachine

I'm jumping on the Erazor Djinn bandwagon.

That guy doesn't f*ck around, never once showing restraint. I swear Eggman intentionally keeps Sonic alive nowadays just to show off.

Erazor Djinn attacks Sonic within seconds of meeting him, his flame threatening Sonic from the inside for the entire game.

Give this guy a cameo or nod in a future game, will you Sega?

Gotta say Captain Whisker. He was cheesy and SRA was a fucking cheesefest, but he somehow managed to make it work against all odds. Admittedly I mostly like his concept and design over his personality or anything he actually did in the game, but it's always kinda nice to have a Dick Dastardly-like dumbass villain once in a while. I also really like his boss theme.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's one that I like:

Void.gif

Void was misunderstood, not unlike Wreck-it-Ralph was. I like the fact that Sonic allows him to co-exist with Lumina, since he is her other half. And I could completely relate to him being lonely while growing up.