Awoo.

Favorite Non-Robotnik Sonic Villain(s)?

Tani Coyote

I like Mephiles as a bad guy. I dunno, he's just... He's not unique, but he's a bit different. They took the whole fighting your inner demon thing to a new level since it's Shadow. Shadow's shadow. Heh. Shadow was a badass bad guy when he was a bad guy. But now he's not a bad guy so... can I still call him my favorite bad guy? Hm. If I can then I say Silver too just because of how much of a pain in the ass he was for some people. My ex hated him.

I wanna throw shit with my mind; there would be a lot of people getting bricked on a daily basis and no one could track it back to me. C:

Merlina. Not only for being the only female antagonist at the moment, but being the only villain with an actual sympathetic motive, and it makes confronting her really bittersweet. You understand her plight, but know she's gotta go down.

• Thumbs Up 3

Seems to be Mephiles vs. Erazor. Someone do a death battle!

Maybe Sega will give nods to them some day. As I recall the Storybooks were removed from canon though, so we'll probably never see it.

Really though, this illustrates that having a good villain aside from Eggman isn't always a bad thing. It's more realistic for there to be more than one running antagonist; it also leads to all sorts of amusing situations where heroes have to choose the lesser evil.

Well Erazor is in a book and Mephiles technically doesn't exist anymore. Or... never existed... or... he does and he's just... No that's not... can't...

... ... ...

My head hurts.

Well. Since he was warping through time and stuff.

Who's to say he, knowing that he could possibly be erased, didn't plant some sort of essence of himself BEFORE he was created, allowing him to continue to exist even though his original self was destroyed?

YAY TIME TRAVEL.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

Well. Since he was warping through time and stuff.

Who's to say he, knowing that he could possibly be erased, didn't plant some sort of essence of himself BEFORE he was created, allowing him to continue to exist even though his original self was destroyed?

YAY TIME TRAVEL.

I thought of that, it's just the whole "the game never actually existed" part makes me say WTF sometimes. What if they just found Mephiles and used him? What if he wasn't created? Was he created? I don't have an XBox with me and even if I did, that means I'd have to beat it. Again. I've done it god knows how many times, once for my cousin because he couldn't beat it. I wonder why lol

I'd still be a bit confused when it comes to the two taking each other on. They both have some kick ass powers. It would be highly debatable.

With Erazor's powers, could he just hop out of the book if he wanted? He was rewriting the story once already. He could always just do it again.

I would say that dr.finitevus is one of my top picks. He knows quite a bit about chaos energy and how to bring enerjak back to the world of the living. Nagus would be great to bring into the games. Imagine facing him in a game where he uses different elements every time you face him.

With Erazor's powers, could he just hop out of the book if he wanted? He was rewriting the story once already. He could always just do it again.

While I didn't play Secret Rings all the way through, as I recall the limits of the book were the one thing his powers couldn't breach on their own. He needed the rings to transcend those boundaries.

I would say that dr.finitevus is one of my top picks. He knows quite a bit about chaos energy and how to bring enerjak back to the world of the living. Nagus would be great to bring into the games. Imagine facing him in a game where he uses different elements every time you face him.

That second bit actually sounds pretty awesome! Like Ghirahim or some such from Skyward Sword - each battle is varied in some manner.

As for Finitevus. Well, that'd cause a lot of flames in the British Sonic community for obvious reasons.

Mephiles only looks good as a villain because all of the heroes are incompetent morons in 06. His plan is so needlessly convoluted and poorly executed. And him killing Sonic wasn't a testament to him being a good villain, but Sonic being absolutely retarded in this game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm gonna be the first here to mention Imperator Ix of Chronicles. I'll be the first to say that that game is way below standard in many ways, but I found him to be somewhat interesting. The other gap in Knuckles history on the other countries that was never brought to light aside from a throwaway sentence, and the gap between Emerl's creation about who the Fourth Civilization was and what really happened to it. Plus I find him to be a very useful character to get Knuckles even more involved.

Next up is Merlina. Bravo for them FINALLY pulling a decent twist after a number of predictable monsters of the week we've been getting. And even more interesting this that she's not really a villain in the traditional sense. She has genuinely good motives in spite of what she does, and although we have to take her down she does so gracefully and returns to the side of heroism...as far as the plot goes with it.

Need to play SRA for Whiskers, so I'll just take other's words on it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Whisker and Johnny was an awesome boss battle in Rush Adventure, literally so much shit going on as it was essentially a dual character battle and the music was awesome. It's probably the closest we'll ever get to a character battle with Eggman (ie, mechless Eggman so SA2 doesn't count).

• Thumbs Up 2

Thinking about it, there's aren't really any villains in the Sonic series that I'd say I liked enough to be interested in. Not Eggman, not Mephiles, not Black Doom, CERTAINLY not Erazor Djinn, e.t.c.

There are some that are better than others in my opinion though. Eggman would be one of them for his recent ability to have punchy writing constantly, as are Captain Whisker, Mini, Mum and Johnny for their punch-clock comedy.

Maybe Sega will give nods to them some day. As I recall the Storybooks were removed from canon though, so we'll probably never see it.

Sonic specifically refers to Secret Rings in Generations and considering Black Knight came out right after Unleashed it's pretty easy to infer that the date Amy refers to in the ending while Sonic blabs on about the adventure is the one arranged in Unleashed.  On that basis I think both adventures are canon, even if Sonic is the only one who was there.

Anyway my faves would be Erazor and Whisker for already mentioned reasons.

I wanted to like Merlina for finally getting the ladies some villianous rep but the whole thing was a bit messy and confusing... Like I still don't really understand how her taking over the kingdom would stop it from falling, considering she's aware from the start that she is just a character in a book.  I mean if someone could clear up the logic from here that'd be great, I don't play Black Knight very often so I may have forgotten some crucial telling line here or something.

I also didn't like that Merlina turned into a big monstery thing for the final boss.  The game was already a 12+ so I don't think some unrealistic flashy sword combat against a humanoid enemy would have bumped it up any further.  It would have been cooler and different if she was at least always present within the core of the monster.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't read Sonic comics but I gotta admit Dark Enerjak looks freaking sick!

Speaking of game villains, I think I love Mephiles the most. He looks intimidating and is a real villain. Conquering the world is for babies. Erazing the very time and space - thats for real men! I also think his music theme is the most scary piece of music I've ever heard in a Sonic game (without mentioning Sonic CD but that was just outlandish scary..)

I do think Erazor Djinn is the most competent villain and Merlina is a very unique villain as well. Storybook games are both perfect in that aspect. Those characters are much better villains than Eggman himself. Hell, Eggman Nega is a better villain than Eggman and that's all because Eggman is a real joke in the new games but that's for another topic.

Here, have a nice wallpaper, Erazon Djinn fans)).

bosserazorjinn1.jpg

Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 1

I wanted to like Merlina for finally getting the ladies some villianous rep but the whole thing was a bit messy and confusing... Like I still don't really understand how her taking over the kingdom would stop it from falling, considering she's aware from the start that she is just a character in a book.  I mean if someone could clear up the logic from here that'd be great, I don't play Black Knight very often so I may have forgotten some crucial telling line here or something.

Caliburn mentions in Knight's Passage that she has a type of magic called "High Ancient Magic". Presumably this kind of magic is where her spell to place the kingdom in stasis originates and gains a lot of it's power from the scabbard. The stasis magic was spreading from the castle and the knights take it upon themselves to activate barrier stones in The Cauldron, Shrouded Forest, Dragon's Lair and Great Megalith in order to confine the spell and to prevent it's spread across the kingdom. The barrier turns out to be too weak to contain the spell so Sonic takes it upon himself to confront her personally.

Merlina's intentions were to place the entirety of the kingdom under her stasis spell in order to freeze it in time and therefore prevents it's ruinous future from coming to fruition. She did this without any care for the kingdom's citizens and Caliburn himself brands her selfish for this because she's willing to inflict it just to escape her own sorrow

• Thumbs Up 2

Merlina's intentions were to place the entirety of the kingdom under her stasis spell in order to freeze it in time and therefore prevents it's ruinous future from coming to fruition. She did this without any care for the kingdom's citizens and Caliburn himself brands her selfish for this because she's willing to inflict it just to escape her own sorrow

I guess that's what made Merlina one of the most interesting villains to me. She acts not out of the usual 'I want to rule the world' or the notion of 'I will destory everything, muhahaha' (never really understood that one, to be fair), but she does what she does because she sees her world falling apart and wants to preserve it the way it is, the way she likes it. This is a very personal motivation, based on strong emotions, and as such it is much more interesting to me than the generic villain motivations you usually get.

*sees no-one's said Nega*

*is heartily pleased*

EDIT: Nevermind, someone likes him for the same reason I hate him. Anyway...

I guess Metal Sonic would qualify by default because I haven't played the Storybook series so I can't speak for Erazor/Merlina, I'm not a fan of pirates 400 years too late and recolours can burn in the 9th circle of Hell.

Also, Stardust Speedway Bad Future (both versions) is a great track.

Edited by Spin Attaxx

Since everyone else has mentioned some of the obvious choices, I'll go with two not mentioned (in detail) yet.

Mechasonic.png

First up Mecha Sonic from Sonic (3) & Knuckles. After Robotnik's defeat in Sonic's story of S&K, it's like he took up an agenda of his own for the M.E., as he became the man behind the man. Also was quite touch to effectively destroy-he was still intact and functional after Sonic defeated him, and Knuckles has to defeat him twice in order to effectively destroy him. Not to mention he's the only robot/character in the game canon who can achieve a Super(-esque) form. I'd still say he trumps Metal Sonic as Eggman's best Sonic robot. And although it's not actually within the canon, the Mecha Sonic (or at least the upgraded Metal Sonic who took on the Mecha Sonic design) in SMBZ is just awesome.

ova11.jpg

The second is (Hyper) Metal Sonic from the OVA. Unlike the games (for the most part?...), he's not only a perfect clone of Sonic, as he essentially knows Sonic's moves, mannerisms, and fashion taste (tongue.png); but he's also a effective threat/enemy of Sonic, as he's shown to constantly be keeping Sonic to stay on his toes as they keep fighting for the upper hand. This also adds to the "there can only be one" theme between the two Sonics stand out, and Metal keeps this mentality to the bitter end after Sonic defeats him.

Edited by Hatsune Miku

I think even Sega's ashamed of Nega, given that they won't let Ian Flynn use him in the comic books.

Sonic specifically refers to Secret Rings in Generations and considering Black Knight came out right after Unleashed it's pretty easy to infer that the date Amy refers to in the ending while Sonic blabs on about the adventure is the one arranged in Unleashed.  On that basis I think both adventures are canon, even if Sonic is the only one who was there.

Ohhhh yeah. I forgot about that.

I just remember one of my friends mentioning Sega removed them from canon but it appears that decision was never made. The more you know!

I also didn't like that Merlina turned into a big monstery thing for the final boss.  The game was already a 12+ so I don't think some unrealistic flashy sword combat against a humanoid enemy would have bumped it up any further.  It would have been cooler and different if she was at least always present within the core of the monster.

I always thought of her still being the Core of the final boss; she was surrounded by an aura of energy and a bunch of stuff grew from it, with her as the heart of it, more or less.

The "storybooks removed from canon" thing derives from a certain incident involving a brand manager answering the fans directly. So, while it wasn't exactly wrong for a time, Generations ended up trumping his conjecture in the end.

Still didn't call for the vitrol a lot of members on here showed, but the past is the past. 

*sees no-one's said Nega*

*is heartily pleased*

But dude, seriously, broadcasting how much you hate a certain character around here gets annoying very fast even to those who really don't care about him themselves when you do it too much. Last thing anyone here wants is a fanboy on the other side of the fence.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have to agree on Hyper Metal Sonic

He is basically a carbon copy of sonc, unlike metal from Sonic CD (he believes he is the real sonic and that sonic is a fake, an early shadow? although you only hear him speak once so it's just an opinion)

He has sonic's mannerisms doing sonic's nose rubbing thing multiple times and knows his strategies and attack patterns, leading to what i think is one of the most epic scenes in the ova where sonc and metal are trying to push each other back and sonic says "you might know everything I'm going to do, but that's not going to help you, because I know everything you're king to do...STRANGE ISN'T IT!" with south island theme in the background!

In fact metal almost beats sonic and would have won if tails hasn't remotely scrambled his circuits!

The fact that at the end he tries to help save the president and the old man, I think anyway, could prove that sonic's hero-ness are overriding robotnicks programming and that he is trying to save them, like sonic is trying to do.

Then poor metal meets quite a sad end where I think he knows he isn't the real one, which must be quite a dissapoonting realisation for anyone, to know you are a fake, and falls into the lava pit, not allowing sonic to save him. I think he is a great bad guy, he almost wins against sonic, is fulfilling quite an evil plan to effectively destroy the planet (by flinging the playes off of the planet into space and then at the end you realise he is misunderstood when he realises at the end his life is a lie (he has all of sonic's memories). You feel quite sorry for him :(

http://www.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?v=Uc8QJPEs-Ag

Edited by Jolt_TH
  • Thumbs Up 3