Awoo.

Favorite Non-Robotnik Sonic Villain(s)?

Tani Coyote

I guess I never thought about it from that perspective.  It's still a bit baffling, but that's a very interesting way to look at it.

My favourite Sonic the hedgehog Villain is Neo-Metal sonic. I know some people may see him as more of an "Anti-hero" but in heroes he was the badass doing everything in the game, technically Eggman did nothing but create him, because Neo-metal sonic captured him.

I don't know, maybe it's the "Silent antagonist" style the game portrays him in, where we don't really know he's the villain until the end. We know something evil is happening, but we don't know what or who this machine copying everyone and everything is, we're not even sure what it's doing. The whole game lets us think Eggman is the villain, until we reach the final story, and it definitely makes him much more menacing. However, if he wouldn't mind transforming a little faster, that would be sooooo great. I dislike that scene.

Finally, when you see him in the opening cinematic, it's so over dramatic I can't help but feel chills when I see it, no matter how immature it is. Seeing him on the spire of a ship from the Egg fleet is just awesome. I can't help but like him, even though he's not loveable or humorous, he's pure badass, and also crap as he was beaten by a hedgehog. Who's data he has copied. Although he is based on a copy of sonic. He's not very good at his one job, killing Sonic.

I don't know, maybe it's the "Silent antagonist" style the game portrays him in, where we don't really know he's the villain until the end. We know something evil is happening, but we don't know what or who this machine copying everyone and everything is, we're not even sure what it's doing. The whole game lets us think Eggman is the villain, until we reach the final story, and it definitely makes him much more menacing. However, if he wouldn't mind transforming a little faster, that would be sooooo great. I dislike that scene.

See, that was an interesting idea that I thought could have been pulled off with better writing.  The whole leaving the final boss a mystery was really ingenious and the whole acquiring data could have been cool as well.  But sometimes he says things like "Chaos data has been copied" right out loud where everyone can hear and no one and bothers to question it.  Then there's the scene where Tails examines the melting robot and says "It's not an Eggman robot... oh well, nothing to see here right?!"  There's no growing suspicion, there's no development of "Wait, this can't be Eggman's work!  It has to be that of... Metal Sonic!"  He just reveals himself at the end and suddenly it's like "OH DAT MAKES SENSE!"  If anything, that's what made the Chaotix story so interesting.  At the end, even though you could kind of seeing it coming a mile away, it was sort of a shock to see that Eggman was the one leading them to his location, but you don't know why until the last chapter exactly why he would tease them with the false hopes of pay to begin with.  I mean, sure he's evil, but you think that by now he's above crank calls.  Then in the Last Story, it explains how Metal Sonic trapped him and such.  See, that was really good.  The other stories sort of toy with it and then out of nowhere big, climatic reveal!

Then, of course, there's no explanation as to how or why Metal Sonic became the way he is.  He just decides to lock Eggman up and mess with everyone until he attained all their powers.  But what killed it is when he went off on that stupid "I am the real Sonic!" spiel.  That just ruined any seriousness he had as a character.

So to Heroes' credit, what they were attempting was very novel and ambitious, but I felt it was executed in a rather lackluster fashion.

Edited by Akito

My favorite villain is Mephiles the Dark, I mean he kills Sonic, something that Robotnik could never do.

Yeah, and he only had to use a sneak attack to do so.

Yeah, and he only had to use a sneak attack to do so.

Whatever gets the job done,  Besides I see it as he learned from a direct approach failing against Shadow

Whatever gets the job done,  Besides I see it as he learned from a direct approach failing against Shadow

That's beside the point. Mephiles is hardly what i'd call a good villain just for how unnecessarily complicated his plan is, and I don't believe he's really earned his reputation considering it was mostly an act of cowardice. Was it effective and got the job done? That suddenly doesn't make him a better villain than Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 5

My favorite villain is Mephiles the Dark, I mean he kills Sonic, something that Robotnik could never do.

Robotnik beat Super Sonic, something Mephiles could never do even when he became the all-powerful Solaris.

Top that.

• Thumbs Up 8

• 1 month later...

I don't know if he is considered a villian any more, but at least he was when he was introduced in SA2, Shadow the Hedgehog. Everybody knows him and he is my favorite non-robotnik villian because he would do whatever shit he wanted and then Sonic would take the blame. Not to mention that he is around the same speed as Sonic, but he is alot more powerful, and Shadow is immortal from being made from the DNA of Black Doom. I also like the his design in Sonic and the Black Knight.

Although I don't consider him a "villain" per se, my favorite antagonist has always been Fang. Tied for second place are the Battle Kukku Army and the Nocturnus Tribe.

I suppose it's Metal Sonic.  Whether working for Eggman or for himself, he's always out to defeat Sonic (or any of his friends should they decide to get in his way).  Also that cold, mean, red eyed expression is all you need to know that he means business.

Special Honorable Mention goes to Chaos.  My favorite of the MOTWs.

Robotnik beat Super Sonic, something Mephiles could never do even when he became the all-powerful Solaris.

Top that.

IIRC the trio of super hedgehogs technically couldn't effectively defeat Solaris, Sonic instead needed to retgone it out of existence by blowing it out when it was but a wee flame. But then that would be defending 06's story, so I digress.

Also , Knuckles in one swift blow punched the lights out of Super Sonic (who was flying at full speed over the ground at this point) so hard he literally knocked the Super form (Chaos Emeralds) out of Sonic. Not a feat by Mephiles, but I guess that's one step up the ladder.

IIRC the trio of super hedgehogs technically couldn't effectively defeat Solaris, Sonic instead needed to retcon it out of existence by blowing it out when it was but a wee flame.

The fact that this sentence is referencing a real thing is hilarious.  This franchise is completely ridiculous.

Mine's Metal.  I have no real reason to like him, honestly, because most of his appearances have been shit and he's not really a main character.  I just think he looks like a badass, and in the OVA he was AMAZING.

I'd proably go with Nack(fang) as, he is one of the more unique ones over the years, and one of the few 'true' villians, that is not eggman, a robot and a monster, and had a unique design(shadow isnt 'true' evil, and mephiles counts as a monster) I think it would be interesting to see him back as well in a much more expanded roles, and is one of the fewvillians that could be turned into a recurring interesting characters if only they would put the will to it

IIRC the trio of super hedgehogs technically couldn't effectively defeat Solaris, Sonic instead needed to retgone it out of existence by blowing it out when it was but a wee flame. But then that would be defending 06's story, so I digress.

Also , Knuckles in one swift blow punched the lights out of Super Sonic (who was flying at full speed over the ground at this point) so hard he literally knocked the Super form (Chaos Emeralds) out of Sonic. Not a feat by Mephiles, but I guess that's one step up the ladder.

In all fairness, Knuckles had spent his whole life in the vicinity of something that can negate the Chaos Emeralds. It makes sense that he would be immune to Chaos Energy.

I'd proably go with Nack(fang) as, he is one of the more unique ones over the years, and one of the few 'true' villians, that is not eggman, a robot and a monster, and had a unique design(shadow isnt 'true' evil, and mephiles counts as a monster) I think it would be interesting to see him back as well in a much more expanded roles, and is one of the fewvillians that could be turned into a recurring interesting characters if only they would put the will to it

Sadly, they probably won't. Not many people know or care about Fang, and there's a good chance he'd be portrayed as a cold-blooded mercenary rather than the comedic but badass thief we all know and love. Don't get me wrong, I love Fang (he's my favorite character after Tails), but it would take a miracle for him to come back.

Edited by ElectroKyurem

In all fairness, Knuckles had spent his whole life in the vicinity of something that can negate the Chaos Emeralds. It makes sense that he would be immune to Chaos Energy.

Not really. I mean, on what basis can we say that however it is that the Master Emerald neutralizes the Chaos Emeralds is communicable by simple proximity and time? Especially when the ME doesn't even do it passively, it needs to actually be commanded to do so.

My favorite Non-Robotnik villian would definitely have to be Merlina. I liked how she wasn't a villain in the traditional sense; unlike a lot of villains in the series, she actually had good intentions in wanting to prevent the ruination of the storybook world she was in. This was her motivation, and I like my villains to have reasons for doing the things they do. However, she went about it in the completely wrong way, essentially trying to freeze time; and she basically did this without any thought to the civilians in the world.

My favorite Non-Robotnik villian would definitely have to be Merlina. I liked how she wasn't a villain in the traditional sense; unlike a lot of villains in the series, she actually had good intentions in wanting to prevent the ruination of the storybook world she was in. This was her motivation, and I like my villains to have reasons for doing the things they do. However, she went about it in the completely wrong way, essentially trying to freeze time; and she basically did this without any thought to the civilians in the world.

I liked Merlina, but never really understood what she was trying to do.  It always just seemed like she wanted to use her power to make sure Camelot never ceased to exist due to outside forces.

'Course Sonic just had to be an asshole and kick her ass.

...so she was trying to freeze time?  Huh.  Weird.

She was basically trying to create a world where nothing ever changed.

You know, I can't help but notice an interesting parallel between her and the people who wish the Classic era had never ended. The main difference is that Merlina wanted to preserve her world for noble, albeit misguided, reasons.

• 4 weeks later...

Perfect Dark Gaia

Pdarkgaiav1.png

Just look at what he done to Sonic. How many villians have been able to bring Sonic down to his knees?

1huno1.png

tumblr_mdgkpkwRpp1rbwurho1_500.gif

The expressions, the weakness, the pitiful look to him....it just feels so alien coming from Sonic, who is almost always so resolute and strong. Everything about his posture and body language is powerfully animated which just adds onto how shocking it is.

Even Super Sonic had trouble defeating him and if it wasn't for Chip, the world would likely have been lost.

Is it me, or does Dark Gaia count as one of the more "cartoony" villains? I get more "this guy's in a Sonic game" vibes from him then I do with Solaris or Erasor Djiin (I think that's how it's spelled).

Edited by Spin Attaxx
  • Thumbs Up 1

That's funny considering that Dark Gaia freaking bleeds compared to those two. It's green blood, but still...

Did Solaris beat the Super Forms in any form at all? Because what the heroes did to him is irrelevant; I'm specificially talking about what the villains have accomplished

I have found my favorite enemies in Sonic to be:

Metal Sonic

He's just so cool, and his boss fight in Sonic CD has to be one of the best Sonic boss fights ever.

Also:

Megaman

Who ever thought the blue bomber would ever fight Sonic?

The stronger an angel is, the more humanoid it is. The stronger a demon

is, the more beastly it becomes. You can see some amusing symbolism of

this in Shadow and the Biolizard's design.

But, as to the more practical, scientific rationale:

The project is easily explained I think; the Biolizard's an early prototype

and it's VERY likely that there were more in between him and Shadow. As

one of the first raw experiments, naturally it's beastly, hideous,

flawed. You often make mistakes before you succeed.

I presume it was this hideous monstrosity that convinced Gerald he needed outside

assistance, hence the Black Arms plot (Which I think is unnecessary and

would have preferred Gerald just keep on working until he perfected

Shadow on his own, but I'm just acknowledging canon).

After trial and error, you replace gargantuan proportions with a compact body,

hideousness with aesthetic appeal, and create a being that can sustain

itself and its immense power without outside assistance.

Really, if we tampered with genetic modification in real life I presume we'd end

up with the same result: lots of defective, deformed experiments before

we finally nailed it and created one without such flaws (which I

imagine is a main reason why such research hasn't even been remotely

touched).

Is that really a thing? Where does this symbolic concept stem from? I'm probably misinterpreting the statement, but I’ve never noticed a correlation between rank/power to how humanoid angels or demons are in western lore. The highest-ranking angels in particular sound like one big happy club of mutated abominations.

Regardless, yeah, the biolizard was probably designed with the features of various slimy cold-blooded creatures rather than a mutated humanoid hedgehog mostly so the player wouldn’t feel sympathy for it and feel triumphant after defeating it.

Heck, if the Tails doll inspired so many creepy pastas imagine the response to having to fight a deformed, mutilated, cyborg version of Shadow.

-----

It's a stretch but I’d say my favorite sonic villian is Professor Gerald , at least before the retcons.

I felt like he was this puppet master that people around him constantly underestimated. 

All of his living experiments seemed like brainwashed suicide bombers. (The biolizard teleporting and fusing with the Ark's cannon no doubt crushing several organs in order to drag the colony to the planet its self, Shadow blowing up the planet full knowing his memories could be fake etc..)

Comparing a live broadcast of an egotistical dictator boasting about how awesome he is to a recorded grainy video of down trodden man who has lost everything calmly talking about how everyone will die before being executed on camera, the former is a lot scarier to me.

My favorite villain is Perfect Dark Gaia because he is the strongest villain in video game Sonic that wasn't retconned. Also, his power could destroy the world, that's cool, too.