Awoo.

Yoshi's Woolly World (Available now on the Wii U, 3DS and in my veins! My bloodstream is woolly soft!)

YoshiUnity

It looked to me like it was only at a very early stage of development in the initial footage.  They probably announced it as early as they could to make sure that people knew that good Wii U games were coming eventually, but it wouldn't have been ready all that soon.  We might not hear any more about it until Yoshi's New Island has been released this spring, to make sure that people are only focussing on one Yoshi game at a time in case one cannibalises the audience of each other (way more 3DS owners than Wii U owners, but the Epic Yarn team have a better reputation than the New Island team, so it could go either way).

It was among the games listed in that leaked data from launch Wii U's, but it did look early, even if it had been in development for a while. Maybe this game hasn't got a very big team on it, so it's taking some time. 

They've already said it's going to be at the next E3 because it wasn't far enough along to be shown at the last one.

The footage shown on the Direct was obviously a proof of concept video and it was clear that the game was nowhere near a state to receive anything but a formal announcement. The rehashed visual elements, barebones environments and sloppy animation was telling. Iwata made that clear by saying it was going to take quite some time for the game to come out as they wanted to push the visuals.

I wouldn't be surprised if by the time the game gets it's re-introduction it will look drastically different. Half of the games in that Direct were thrown out in a rush. We haven't heard anything from SMTxFE either.

• Thumbs Up 7

It looked to me like Lost World took some assets from the game for the YI DLC, so that would speak for it not being cancelled.

I have a feeling they'll do a 4 player multiplayer with different color Yoshi's since Kirby epic Yarn had Multiplayer, but I haven't played Yoshi story so I'm not sure if Multiplayer would work with a Yoshi game.

It looked to me like Lost World took some assets from the game for the YI DLC, so that would speak for it not being cancelled.

Or maybe they got halfway into development, couldn't be bothered to carry on with it, and thought "y'know what let's just make this a piece of DLC and slap Sonic in it for no apparent reason" :P

In all seriousness though I do hope Yarn Yoshi sees the light of day again at some point in the near future. Even if I never end up getting it, it still looks like an interesting game and it's about time the green dinosaur got a turn in the limelight again. Yoshi's New Island doesn't count because it looks painfully sucky.

I think Lost World actually just ripped assets from here:

• Thumbs Up 1

• 5 months later...

It's a Woolly World, Ladies and Gents!

The new trailer is here and the "Yarn Yoshi is dead" meme can rot in it's grave.

Discuss!

• Thumbs Up 5

Aww, it looks so cute! And fun. I mean, this looks reeeeeally fun. 2015 is going to be a great year...

Yoshi's Woolly World! A game that's so adorable and cutesy in which you suffocate a giant dog by muzzling it with strings of yarn

Don't be fooled by the bright colourful visuals - this game has a dark side, folks...

• Thumbs Up 3

It looks like its a mix of Yoshi's Island and Kirby's epic Yarn...with a bit of Yoshi Story.

It certainly looks a LOT more creative than New Island, but that's probably because it doesn't have New in the name.

Yoshi's Woolly World! A game that's so adorable and cutesy in which you suffocate a giant dog by muzzling it with strings of yarn

Don't be fooled by the bright colourful visuals - this game has a dark side, folks...

First Mario Kart 8 with Luigi's Death Stare, now this! Nintendo is killing the industry with dark innuendos people! Rally all parents, we must stop these monsters from corrupting our youth's minds!

I'm really happy with what I'm seeing so far in this game. It looks a lot better than Kirby's Epic Yarn, that's for sure.

Also getting a lot of Yoshi Story vibes from it, which makes me a happy camper. Can't wait see more.

First Mario Kart 8 with Luigi's Death Stare, now this! Nintendo is killing the industry with dark innuendos people! 

I think we can go back a bit farther than that

18577-151790-giygas5jpg-620x.jpg

Face it folks, Mr. Nintendo is the boogeyman

• Thumbs Up 2

This might actually be the game I'm most looking forward to, sans Sonic Boom.  It's simple, cute, and looks like it has a really neat co-op mode.  It looks leagues ahead of Yoshi's New Island in any case.

I can't help but perplexed by their decision to make games based on their characters being composed of non-organic materials, though.  Like, it's cute and all, but... like... why?  Sandpaper Mario next, please

• Thumbs Up 1

Super cute game which looks even more impressive in its yarn filled woolly goodness than Kirby Epic Yarn. Not surprising though since this is on the Wii U. =P But yah, this looks adorable and a helluva lot better than Yoshi's New Island. No baby, no shitty music and no bland gameplay.

Oh, and this has co op. Woolly Yoshi wins!

Sandpaper Mario next, please

I'd have no problem with this.

Provided the developer actually has a say in the story. *hint hint*

And oh yeah, I watched the trailer to this game just a little while ago.  I want it.

Badly.

In fact, you know that Nintendo? Just take the 60 or so dollars I'll need for this already. Go on. I'm not stopping you.

• Thumbs Up 1

Footage of all 3 courses from the E3 demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD3FMyk1sKU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYZ3Ef3v9_c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FiCXHxcvdo

The art style is just so gorgeous, I love Yoshi's running animation. The gameplay looks light years better than Yoshi's New Island, too - heck, this could be the best Yoshi game since the SNES days.

This game just looks better and better the more I see of it.  Beautiful aesthetics, excellent-looking level design, and very interesting mechanics.  Consider me very, very intrigued.

• Thumbs Up 2

Since the SNES days? So...wouldn't that just be the best game since the original?

That's what I meant, yes :P

This is one of the cutest games I’ve ever seen! It looks even more adorable than Kirby’s Epic Yarn! I love how the gameplay is like the Yoshi’s Island games; Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island was one of the first games I ever played and I’ve always liked the gameplay style from it. Yoshi throwing balls of yarn is super cute, too. I also like how the game is focused on exploration. Co-op looks fun and is something I was hoping would be in the game. I’m much more hyped for this than I was for Yoshi’s New Island!

Definitely looks like the best Yoshi game since the original. Which isn't hard, since I hated everything after Yoshi's Island. Yeah, even Yoshi's Story.

I trust Good-Feel to make magic out of Yoshi just as they did for Kirby back in 2010.

Did they explain the significance behind the gems you collect? The audio is hard to hear. I'm guessing they're like the coins in this world?