Awoo.

Which Sonic Game has the best soundtrack?

Chaos Incarnate

Although quality of games in the Sonic franchise is debatable, everyone can agree the music is almost always fantastic. Which game, in your opinion, has the best soundtrack?

This one is a extremely hard question to answer (same with favorite sonic game) and I mean really hard but is all a good answer.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic CD (Strictly JP/EU not US)

The Good Futures are absolutely wonderful. And the Bad Futures expertly meld sassy with sinister. I greatly admire how one distinct musical motif is carried through all time periods of a zone, which allows one to hear menacing (Bad Future), mysterious (Past), Elegant (Good Future) and utterly neutral (Present) of a series of notes. It's just very interesting.

Of note is Metallic Madness' Good future. In the words of one Youtube member who commented on this music upload on said website, it's like the song is saying "Don't be shy, you did well" which I can't help but totally agree with because I got this interpretation as well and it has a beautiful and truimphant tone to it. Which is so appropriate for Metallic Madness because it's the final zone and therefore going by how most attentive gamers would have got all the time stones by this point, the Good Future is assured and Metallic Madness as the penultimate zone has music that reflects this in it's Good Future.

Quartz Quadrant Good Future is so suitable because of the occasional sounds of what sounds very much like smashing, twinkling quartz/crystal/jewel. Just listen to when the twinkling starts at approximately 0:42 in and tell me that isn't utterly masterful when it comes to portraying a very well run mine full of sparkling crystals. At the beginning of that song, the background sound effect always made me visualise Flicky birds/wildlife frolicking happily in the zone, for it sounds like happily chirping birds.

Palmtree Panic's present and Good Future are probably the definition of joyful in Sonic music with the cheering. In a way, the sublime brilliance and hope portrayed by the Good Future songs and the 'innocent' kind of impression given by the Past musics make you condemn Eggman for ruining these stunning zones and preventing these wonderful futures from ever coming to fruition. Another masterful stroke in the excellence that is Sonic CD's japanese/european soundtrack.

What disappointed me about Sonic CD's tracks is that they were too short in length and their fading-out then replaying again whilst playing a level kinda upsets the feeling. It would have been the cherry on the cake if Sonic CD's songs looped endlessly. It's no biggie but it slightly detracts from the experience.

As I said about the Past zone music. All of them feel so mysterious and innocent, as if the zone is unsure of it's future. To me, Tidal Tempest Past epitomized a looming kind of mystery from 0:17 in and then disorientation amidst the mystery from 0:49.

I doubt that another videogame soundtrack (And I listen to A LOT of videogame soundtracks) would ever match my immense liking of Sonic CD's japanese/european soundtrack.

• Thumbs Up 5

Sonic 3 has my favorite 2d soundtrack( Sonic Cd Japanese is close), while Sonic Adventure and Sonic Generations are tied for best 3d Sonic soundtrack.

Sonic Adventure or Sonic 06.  They're both pretty good, for a lot of the same reasons.  Both have some good variety and plenty of good tracks for each variety.  Every character's personal theme is great too.  Not to mention "His World" and "Open Your Heart" just get me so pumped.

Sonic Heroes, pretty much. You can deride the game all you want, but good god does the Heroes soundtrack stand up. You can basically use it with everything. Cheesy glam rock songs for fighting games. Castle and Jungle themes for menu music. First few levels for other Sonic games (back in the Sonic 2 MP3 days).

Adventure 2 has some standout hits and is consistently good, all of the classic titles are great in their own way, the first two Advance titles are also standouts and Colors' score had it's own niche, but Heroes is the only one that pushes all of the right buttons without getting thoroughly ridiculous (like Adventure 2 did with all of the rap, for example).

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 5

Since they vary so much, I don't really have a stand out favorite. Unleashed remains a top one due to it's complexity and rich sound I think, I like Generations when I want something really catchy, Colors has a sweet sense to it, SA2 when I want my ska/pop/punk rock fill for the day, SA1 when I'm looking for something a little more broad in the series, and the classics are always fun for interpretation.

There's just way too many select favorites from all sorts of soundtracks over Sonic's history to really make a well judged "favorite." I'd say closest is Unleashed for me personally, but I probably wouldn't commit to that answer.

• Thumbs Up 4

S3&K, SA1, and Colors.

EDIT: Well it seems I dun goofed. To elaborate a bit more, these games have the most songs that I just love listening to. Other games have their share as well, but these games have the biggest quantity of them, if that make any sense.

Edited by thapoint09 (temp)

Objectively speaking, I'm going to have to say Sonic Heroes, 3andK, and Colors. They all have varying music styles that mesh wonderfully with the level they were made for. Sonic CD's is good as well, BuuUuUuut I can only really jam out to certain tracks, and some are just weird and a little unattractive, and being large because it has 2 versions is a plus but doesn't automatically make it the best to be honest. I won't put Sonic Adventure or Adventure 2 in the running because not everyone is a fan of vocal lyrics, and it leans too heavily on rock for the most part. Not that that's bad, but variety is what keeps things awesome for the majority of people I believe. I want to say Sonic R of all things, but I'm speaking objectively and chances are there are people who really dislike the soundtrack, probably the majority of people who aren't Sonic fans unfortunately lol. (I love the Sonic R tracks personally, but I can't be biased lawl). Hmmm... yeah, so basically from greatest to least, I believe the top 3 are: Sonic3andK, Colors, then Heroes.

Sonic Adventure 2

Welcome to SSMB! Should prolly check out rules before posting if I were you, since your post here needs some major elaboration. I like Metal Harbor as much as the next dude, but ya gotta tell me why.

• Thumbs Up 2

The one OST I keep coming back to over and over again is...

*drum roll* This guy.

face_to_faith1.jpg

I didn't like it at first, but I feel like it is the closest Sonic themes have come to mainstream; I say that as a good thing, as in I think I could play this music at a party and have it blend in and be enjoyed by everyone.

• Thumbs Up 3

I really like Sonic Unleashed myself. Though SA2 has many nice vocal tracks and 06 has several great instrumental pieces, Unleashed just has so many good tunes. I don't think there's a single one I don't like from the game. Heck, I actually use the Holaska night hub music as a lullaby. So darn relaxing.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic 4

I really liked the music in the Sonic storybook games. I just felt each world had music that fit perfectly in their own zones.

Night Palace has got to be one of my favorite stage tracks. It just draws you into the world and sets you up for the final stage of the game.

• Thumbs Up 2

The one OST I keep coming back to over and over again is...

*drum roll* This guy.

face_to_faith1.jpg

I didn't like it at first, but I feel like it is the closest Sonic themes have come to mainstream; I say that as a good thing, as in I think I could play this music at a party and have it blend in and be enjoyed by everyone.

I was gonna say Sonic 3 & Knuckles, or Heroes, but now that you mention it, I do seem to bring back the Black Knight soundtrack to listen to more often than any other. It's got such a great mix of Sonic-y rock tunes and grand We're-Going-On-An-Adventure kind of themes. Also my favourite final boss theme that isn't a remix of the main theme.

• Thumbs Up 1

Due to its diversity, Sonic Adventure 2's is my favorite. It doesn't limit itself to one genre, which is shown in its many compositions by multiple artists.

Crush 40 creates a nice 80's rock sound as shown in "Live and Learn", Ted Poley along with Tony Harnell suprisingly create some nice pop-punk sounding tracks such as "Escape from the City" and their re-recording of "It Doesn't Matter", Marlon Saunders along with Hunnid-P set a nice tone for Knuckles's segments evidenced it the games version of "Unknown from M.E.", Kaz Silver does an excellent redention of "Believe in Myself", Tabitha Fair with Todd Cooper captures the persona of Rouge very effectively in "Fly in the Freedom", Everett Bradley composes a nice relevant tune for Shadow in "Throw it All Away", and lastly, who could forget the work of Paul Shortino in "E.G.G.M.A.N." which captures a variant of Heavy Metal.

The soundtrack combines perfectly with the action oriented plot of the game, thus setting a nice tone and enhancing the game greatly in my opinion.

The diversity of music in Sonic Adventure 2 is the perfect example of what a soundtrack for a Sonic game should be. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh god, this is such a hard choice! There's so many brilliant soundtracks in the Sonic series.

I do think one of my absolute faves, is that of Sonic CD EU/JP. Put this along with 2D Sonic, and you've got one epic gaming experience :D Just a shame I can't say the same for the US soundtrack. Hell, I even bought a Mega CD just to play the game with its rightful soundtrack! 

Another favourite of mine is Sonic 3 & Knuckles, also Sonic Adventure! One thing I've always loved about Sonic Adventure's soundtrack is the fact it still maintained that retro, Sonicky feel from the older games, which we had been sadly lacking for years until Sonic 4 came out. 

For me its got to be sonic 2. Everything about the music is just so right in so many ways.  Unbeatable in my eyes.

I particularly like Sonic 1's music. These songs were, I feel, much more melodic than most of the games, Unleashed coming in as a close second. In the future I'd like to see an approximation of the same music style with modern sound capabilities. Upbeat, catchy and memorable.

There are so many excellent soundtracks which is what I love about Sonic games. The 3d Blast (Genesis), Unleashed and 06 soundtracks all deserve a mention.

My favourite soundtracks are Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2, with Sonic CD just ahead.

The many instruments in SA1's music gives such a great variety of tracks. Special mention:

Pleasure Castle for Twinkle Park

Run Through The Speedhighway

Sand Hill 

Sonic Adventure 2 soundtracks are even better, especially Sonic's. The tracks just carry you through the stages. The Knuckles rap songs are really cool and some of Tails tracks are neat. Special mention:

That's The Way I like It (Metal Harbor)

Live and Learn

Won't Stop, Just Go (Green Forest)

Theme Of Eggman

Keys The Ruin (Pyramid Cave)

A Ghost's Pumpkin Soup (Pumpkin Hill)

Sonic CD for me has the best music. I adore the US soundtrack, but I slightly favour the JP one. It's tracks are just so upbeat. Although the US tracks fit the zones so much better.

Special Mention:

JP

Collision Chaos Present

Tidal Tempest Present and Good Future

Quartz Quadrant Present

Boss Theme

Title Music

US

Collision Chaos Good Future

Tidal Tempest Bad Future

Wacky Workbench Good Future

Sonic Boom

I also love driving with the SA2 and CD (JP) music blazing at me. 

Edited by Nightwing

I'd say Sonic CD. Both of its soundtracks capture the theme of a level in different ways (like JP Metallic Madness captures the "Madness", while US captures the "Metallic").

Crush 40 makes the best themes hands down, even if they don't sing it.

The #1 reason I keep listening to Face to Faith almost EVERY WEEK is because of this one song:

Jun composed it, and Johnny did the lyrics, but I love those 2 singers. Too much emotion invested in this.

• Thumbs Up 3

This ones difficult to choose. However for me,  the Sonic game with the best soundtrack has either to be Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2 , Sonic CD or Sonic Generations. 

There are so many good soundtracks in this franchise and there were not many soundtracks that I feel are like the worst than any other gaming soundtracks out there today.