Awoo.

Which Sonic Game has the best soundtrack?

Chaos Incarnate

You know.... Sonic 2 will always be my favorite, but Colors and even Sonic And The Black Knight had amazing soundtracks.

For me its Sonic 3 and Knuckles hands down.

Some of my other favorites are...
Sonic Adventure 1 and 2
Sonic 3D blast *saturn* UNDERATED

Sonic CD *US*

All the sonic games have great tunes though.

Edited by TheDanimator

Sonic 3D blast *saturn* UNDERATED

Is it? I always thought the general consensus was that the Saturn soundtrack was better.

Which is false. tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 1

My favourites? Well, it's hard to choose...

I'll say Generations, Heroes and Sonic CD US (I'd give my thoughts on the JP one, but that's for another thread).

I'd say with confidence that Sonic Chronicles has the best soundtrack. Some of the tracks were out of tune, and did have a weird feel to them at times (Mystic Ruins), but ultimately I liked them. Not too sure if Bioware just pulled fan remixes for the music or if they just made the music last minute, but whether they did this or not I find the music to be incredibly enjoyable. Music like Blue Ridge Zone and Metropolis had a melancholy feel to them and it fit the theme of the game perfectly.

Some find the OST to be horrid, but I personally really like it. 

http://youtu.be/oOcYaPb3zDg

I personally find this music piece to be the best one in the game: 

Sonic Chronicles The Dark Brotherhood - Ix: Final Boss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq6Vl_UJhkI

With HQ sound and proper instruments you'll have an improved quality of an original Trance music.

Both Adventures, in my opinion, have excellent soundtracks. They each have slightly different styles, especially because of the different styles of each character in SA2, and I really enjoy that. They both have certain elements of their own, but also sound sort of similar, you know? 

Unleashed has a really good soundtrack, from the level music, to hubs, to cutscenes, to bosses, it's all there. Each level has a different sound to it, to represent the environment you're in, which I always like. I'm also a fan of the jazz style used in the Werehog levels, those are snazzy. 

I've also become a big fan of the Colors soundtrack. It has a style that's pretty different from other games, but still has the Sonic feel there.

Although, this brings up a point I've had on my mind for a while. BRING BACK CRUSH 40!! Seriously, I miss having a main theme for the game by them. One of the biggest things I was wondering about Generations was "Man, I wonder what the theme song is gonna be, I hope it's by Crush 40!" And then I found out that there was NO theme for the game. You could argue that they went that route because having a theme for the game would kind of be like a song that, on it's own, embodies Sonic and it the definitive Sonic song ever, since that's kind of what the 20th anniversary title was, after all.

But yeah, I wanna hear more Crush 40, dammit.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would say the Genesis Sonic 3&K is perfection especially Carnival Night since it has nice beat to it. Some other ones include with some that I like the best even though Sonic games usually always has great music in the games.

Sonic 1 1, 5.

Sonic 2 2, 8.

Sonic 3&K Perfection!

Sonic 3D Blast 2 act 2, 4 both acts, 5 both acts, 7 act 2 and much more in!

Edited by TailsTellsTales

This is a tuff one... Theres a lot of really good Sonic music out there so its hard to just pick one album. Ive been listening to the soundtracks for a long time and the one I never seem to tire of is Sonic Unleashed. I like how sega turned music from around the world into one cohesive cd. Turning it into a digital harmony of sonic music. Although Im not sure if my favorite wont soon turn into the Sonic Generations album since it is a nostalgic history book of all the amazing Sonic music so far. The classic Sonic rooftop run song is my favorite non vocal Sonic song. Since I feel it really blends how the older sonic music sounded while still capturing the modern sonic sound.

• Thumbs Up 1

Despite the game itself being horrible, I'd have to go with Sonic 06. That, and SA1 & 2.

I'm going to have to go with Sonic Adventure. It's very memorable. I find the tracks to be very well written and produced. There's a lot of variety.

• Thumbs Up 1

Personally, the soundtracks of Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic CD, Knuckles' Chaotix, Sonic 3D Blast, and Dr.Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine would all qualify as my favorite soundtracks in the Sonic franchise. I'm not really a fan of any Modern Sonic soundtracks at all. I think that all of the music in the Modern Sonic side of the franchise are just bland and unmemorable, except for a few Sonic Adventure and Sonic Unleashed tracks.

I have to go with Sonic Rush. I just think it fits the game and levels really well. And I like the happy sound of it :D

In second place, I'd have to go with Sonic 3. The soundtrack is incredibly catchy. I couldn't get it out of my head for a while.

Edited by Stritix~

Tough question.  I'd like to say Colours, since it had a fair few good tunes in their, but I think Generations nabs it. 

Sonic CD (US) is a close second.

While I will say I slightly prefer the Japanese soundtrack, I still do get a kick out of the US soundtrack. Tidal Tempest Present, Stardust Speedway good future, and Sonic Boom ending version are all standouts from that soundtrack. It's a bit darker than other Sonic soundtracks, but it works in this case. It's just so..atmospheric and 90's.

For me, it's a tie between Sonic 3 and Sonic Generations. I enjoyed all the tracks for Sonic 3, while Sonic Generations had most  of my favourite tracks in one game, even giving them a more modern feel..

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Adventure! The first one that is. I just thought it suited Sonic best. There was a lot of electric guitar, that game definitely had the most rock in it! I do also like the more techno songs in the recent games, of course Sonic Generations had some AWESOME techno remixes, but Sonic Adventure remains a favorite.

Is it cheating to say Generations if I include the hidden tracks? Otherwise I can't really pick. Well that's a lie, I'd pick SA2... probably because of the hilarity of Knuckles' tracks.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

For me it is an extremely close tie between Sonic CD (Japan) and Sonic R. They both are so nostalgic for me. Sonic CD is just so trippy and melodic, while Sonic R brings out the 90's kid in me.

Even today I find myself listening to them when I need motivation or if I am feeling down in the dumps. Truly classic soundtracks that will forever hold a place in my heart.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm going to go with Sonic Adventure 1, I really love all the level songs, and the Character themes are dead-on. Now, I was going to say Sonic Adventure 2, but in close comparison, I decided I enjoy the SA1 version of It Doesn't Matter better than the SA2, Tails in that game is garbage, period, and his song matches. Knuckles has a great theme in SA1, but I don't care much for the SA2 version. Was there a difference with Amy's? Oh, almost forgot, Shadow's theme was okay, but Eggman's theme is legendary in SA2. Live and Learn is one of my favorite Sonic song in the series, I'd prefer it over Open Your Heart by a long shot, they're both still good songs. But I think SA1 has a way better soundtrack. 

I've probably brought this up somewhere else, but I have to go with Unleashed. Colors does come in at a close second though.

Honestly, all the variety in Unleashed's tracks is just amazing. There's rock themes, there's orchestral themes, and it's got in my opinion, both of the best vocal tracks in the series. The reason I say Colors only comes in at a close second is due to the fact that while it also had variety, I think the Unleashed soundtracks are just a little bit better. Only a little...

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, at this point, after listening to it a couple times, Unleashed is no longer my favorite Sonic soundtrack.

It's highly competent, the orchestral, boss, hub, vocal, and day stage songs are all great for the most part, but I've hardly found myself going back to it after making that really long post a few months ago in this thread raving about it. It's not exactly the catchiest Sonic soundtrack that I listen to whenever I'm riding in the car or listening to music on Youtube. I just can't explain it.

I'm torn between a ton of games having the best soundtrack right now: CD's JP and US, Adventure, 06, Colors, and Generations. Once I go back to listening to these is when I can make a full opinion on which Sonic soundtrack takes the number one spot.

Edited by Chaos Incarnate