Awoo.

Which Sonic Game has the best soundtrack?

Chaos Incarnate

well I'm torn between Sonic 2, Sonic Adventure, and Sonic Colors.

Sonic 2's soundtrack is so upbeat and it just slap so hard, Sonic 3's soundtrack is great with the more atmospheric focus, but I can't help but like sonic 2's music more. I'm reeeaaallly sorry, sonic 3, but I do.

Sonic Adventure is the complete opposite to Sonic 2, the Atmosphere in that music is just...JUST... JESUS!! I can't think of one legitimately bad song in SA1 to nag about, nope, not even you big. Sonic Adventure 2's soundtrack is amazing with it's more movie Influenced music, with the frantic & urgent green forest music, the spooky vibe of Pumpkin Hill, the Mellowness of Aquatic Mines, The James Bond inspired tunes of Pyramid Cave, the Angst of Shadow's music, and the Absolutely Nauseatingly catchy, up-beat Jam that is City Escape, But they are Nothing (city escape not withstanding) when compared to the deep rich atmosphere of SA1, again sorry, but it just is.

Sonic Colors' soundtrack needs no explanation, I waxed lyrical about reach for the stars and how the story has NO excuse to be worse than the quality of it's vocal, or at least be less than good. the other music is awesome, too. Tropical Resort is one of the best opening music acts, not city escape quality but doesn't need to be (nor can be), Planet Wisp is such a calming wonder-storm of a jam, with it's constantly beating drums, it's wonderful piano, it's Longly-strung violins, it's funky bass guitar, and the... tambourine? I mean, I think there's a tambourine in their. Starlight Carnivals, like forces, has synths, but UNLIKE sonic forces, the Synths have purpose due to it's more outer space-y vibes (but then again egg gate exist so I'll give that one a pass), not only that, but the synth are on FIRE! I've taken up enough space gushing about the 3 kings of sonic music, so I'll leave it at that.

for an honorable mention: Sonic Unleashed. it has atmosphere like colors and adventure, that are upbeat like sonic 2, the soundtrack is like that to emphasize the speed factor sonic goes in that half of the game. the Warehogs music is much more slower and jazzier, because of the more alleyway-like atmosphere it brings. sonic 1 is another honorable, it's pretty atmospheric too, from the calm green hill, to the more serious tone of scrap brain zone.

Sonic Adventure's soundtrack is spectacular. The variety in genres and styles is so vast and the sheer amount of catchy melodies is astonishing. Many following Sonic soundtracks are fantastic as well, but I feel that Adventure set a standard that the series (or, hell, ANY other video game) was ever capable of topping.

Oh boy...there are so many awesome soundtracks with this series!  But if I have to chose which series has the best soundtracks, I go with Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Sonic CD (Japanese soundtrack), Sonic Adventure 1 and Sonic 3D Blast.

Sonic 3 and Knuckles has probably one of the best soundtracks of the classic Sonic games as the music is so catchy and they fit so well with the levels they are associated with.  My favorite tracks from that game are Sky Sanctuary Zone, Flying Battery Zone, Death Egg Zone Act 2 and IceCap Zone.

I really enjoyed the Japanese Sonic CD soundtrack since it's so creative!  I loved some of the vocal sounds coming in the soundtrack and my favorite tracks from that game are Metallic Madness Present and the special stage!

And of course, I loved the soundtrack to the first Sonic Adventure game!  I loved how each character have their own theme songs that match very well with their personalities and some of my favorite tracks are Sonic's theme "It Doesn't Matter," Tails' theme "I Believe in Myself," E-Gamma's theme and Knuckles' theme "Unknown from M.E."

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely not Forces, that's for sure.

This one track aside, I feel the other tracks just lack variety and blend in with each other, all Modern Sonic sounds the same, the avatar stuff sounds the same, and Classic Sonic is like someone heard Sonic 4's OST and went "hold my beer"

To actually answer the question, Adventure, Adventure 2 and even 06 have a great variety of melodies and instruments that, unlike Forces, even reinforce the atmosphere of the level. Wave Ocean is laid back but also upbeat, Crisis City is frantic and desperate, Radical Train is a mad chase etc.

A lot of contenders, but of those I’ve played, I want to give it to Sonic Adventure for both it’s variety and a few standouts.  Sonic Colors could objectively challenge it, but my personal preference is blues-inspired metal and funk music like in Sky Deck, Hot Shelter and Final Egg, and these favorites elevate SA.

Of others I could note: The Genesis games have a lot of great melodies but they loop too soon for me to call them outstanding in the forms they take there.  Sonic CD is potentially much better (both soundtracks), but somehow the only song that really sticks with me is “Sonic Boom”.  Sonic Adventure 2 has quite a few great songs, but none quite reaches the heights some songs in the first Adventure game have, and Shadow’s musical motif doesn’t appeal to me so it drags it down.

My vote is Sonic Adventure 2/ SA2 Battle. 

It has incredible vocal and symphonic tracks. 

Among my favorites are: 

Shadow vs Biolizard

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zah19RJJ2EQ

Live and Learn (City Escape) 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ohm5CVdutrw

Live and Learn: 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3gPBmDptqlQ