Awoo.

The Classical Music thread

Yoko/葉子

Whether it be Sebastian Bach's Tocata & Fugue, Beethoven' Moonlight Sonata, Chopin's Grande Valse Brillante, or any other classic here (hopefully) we may discuss famous music that has endured through the centuries from before there were CDs and all. 

Personally, I love Chopin's work the most of the above three.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love classical music, and Chopin is one of the greats :D

I think my favourite of them all has to be the Hungarian Rhapsody no.2 (not by Chopin though)

here it is on youtube:

and yes I did hear it from "Tom n' Jerry" at first as a kid, but it stuck with me as my favourite piece with a mix of all sorts of emotions in there.

I also absolutely love:

'Dance of the Hours'

'the four seasons' <-- not sure if thats the correct name so apologies on that

'O Fortuna'

'Dance of the Sugar Plum fairy'

'Beethoven's 5th symphony' <---- truly epic, probably my second fave

and thats all I can think of at the moment  <':D

• Thumbs Up 1

I am starting to study music, so I started to listen classical musics too, I don't know a lot of them but I love Moonlight Sonata and the Four Seasons :)

Looking for more recommendations :D

To be honest despite my love of the orchestral sound, I never can get into classical music.  I've only heard a miniscule amount that manage to hold my interest.  I think I enjoy a certain amount of repetition in my music, and classical music tends to be ever moving forward and changing, to the point I find it wholly unmemorable.

One of the very few exceptions would be Samuel Barber's Adagio For Strings - sadly overplayed to hell and back both in appropriate and ironic-for-humour circumstances - I adore this song, but then it has a very modern structure with quite a bit of repetition before a build up about two thirds into the song, before returning to the memorable "main" melody before the end.

I'm not that big on classical music, but I have a few pieces that stand out to me...mainly from Fantasia admittedly.

-Waltz of the Flowers

-Dance of the Hours

-Rite of Spring

-The Blue Danube

-Swan Lake

-The Planets

-Carnival of the Animals 

I dunno why these in particular appeal to me, but music is music. 

• Thumbs Up 2

...I'll be honest, the only piece of Classical Music that I even sorta listen to nowadays is the one that was spoofed in the classic Tom & Jerry episode where they both fight over who's conducting the orchestra. It's one of my favourite episodoes too, though I couldn't for the life of me tell you what the songs are meant to be :V.

I did have to listen to a fair amount of it during Secondary School, since I took Higher Music, but that was cause we had to study it and stuff. I was never a big fan of anything from there either, and its been so long since school that its got to the point that I can't remember a thing about it (I forget the names of the different note length thingies even.... :V).

• Thumbs Up 2

When I went to community college, I took a course on Music Appreciation, which wound up being a 3 month deal on learning classical music throughout time and history, learning to recognize what eras were which and who did what pieces.

Aaaaand, I couldn't hardly remember jack shit lawl. I found myself kinda interested in some of the pieces, but some of the classical stuff just lacks anything that holds my attention. Call it being spoiled by orchestrations of today, but so be it I guess haha. I guess I have more of a passion and interest for orchestrations from game and movie soundtracks.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...