Awoo.

The Topic of Designs and Re-designs

Clouder

I just wish they'd make the tips of his eyes wider and at more of an angle. They did this in Heroes CGI and I really loved it. I loved how his eyes would dart around too. As well as giving the muzzle more of a shape. Also a little more attitude and edginess. That's where I think his current design is lacking. Even classic sonic had this. But modern sonic looks a little too "nice".

• Thumbs Up 1

I love all of Sonic's designs, but the illustrations in the manual of Sonic Spinball really strike me as interesting.  The cover features the North American chubby Sonic we're all well aware of, while the manual favors a different approach.  I would say it more so resembles the "Japanese" interpretation of Sonic, but it's different.

spinball.png

This one is more sleek, with a more edgy sort of look.  It's like it has the build of classic Sonic with the attitude of SA1-SA2 Sonic. Although it's not as detailed, due to the limitations of printers at the time, as a concept, I think it looks really cool.

As for other Sonic characters, I love all their designs too, and I must say that the only one--literally, the only one--that I despise is the Eggman from Sonic '06.  When that game first came out and I saw the footage of Eggman, I was really disappointed to say the least.

I love that design. And the fact it's american artwork since they were known for fat Classic Sonic.

I don't know about you, but I really dig this design:

sonic_the_hedgehog_by_wani_ramirez-d4xro

Yes. Exactly what I'm going after.

I don't know about you, but I really dig this design:

sonic_the_hedgehog_by_wani_ramirez-d4xro

I really like that too.  It's cute and also really pretty!  It sort of reminds me of The Sonic Screensaver.

Welcome to the 90's.

Yep. We've been expecting you.

Edited by DaHog

Not including the shows, I never really saw more than two designs. I can easily just group them into Classic (short, fat, shorter spikes, black eyes, etc.) and Modern (tall, thin, long spines, green eyes, etc.).

While I found Classic Sonic just adorable in Generations, I'm down for Modern Sonic.

I consider Modern Sonic to be one of the better redesigns in gaming history. Contrast to Crash, Spyro and Klonoa's.

If they ever do redesign him, though, I'm sure they'll make something good. Especially now that Sonic Team has capable leadership.

Picture if they had gone through with that plan to redesign him for 06...

I also like the cute Japanese design. He's the perfect description of deadly cuddles.

Edited by DaHog

Yep.

Holy Crap, 666 views...

Alright stop spamming. Around here we require that members put some effort into their posts; this is not an "anything goes" forum. If you make a post we expect you to write a considerable amount, at least a few sentences on average. You are not allowed to make single-word posts or observations that have absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand. I've seen your posts and the majority of them have the bare amount of effort.

If you want to stick around then we require that you give the rules a look so you know what does and doesn't fly around here.

I'm fine with Sonic's current design, but I'd like to see it animated with more exaggerated expressions, a la Night of the Werehog.

Well, I got into Sonic through AoStH about a year ago, which used the Classic design (well, almost; for some reason Sonic had no tail in AoStH). For a long time I wasn't even aware of any other designs. Then I became more than dimly aware of the game series, and saw the most recent game, Sonic Generations. I saw the design I knew alongside this other design that was taller and different. At first I didn't really like the modern design all that much, but it grew on me and now I like it just as much if not more than the classic design.

But a future redesign would be a terrible idea. Sonic's current model and design is fine, and he doesn't need a redesign. The only reason he was redesigned originally was because of the shift to the 3D generation, IIRC. The only thing a redesign now would accomplish is pissing off at least half the fanbase again. The current one has been around for a long time, it's recognizable, it's iconic and almost everyone likes it now (except for the really stubborn ones who continue to insist that the classic design is objectively "better"). So yeah, I like the design as it is and I think a redesign would be a very bad idea because very little good could come of it.

• Thumbs Up 2

As I mentioned in that there other thread *points* I was always a fan of the original Classic design of Sonic, at least his Japanese version.

I also really like Sonic's current model; it seems to me a good "aged" version of the original Classic. I know that in Generations Classic Sonic is slightly  the wrong colour (ERMEHGERD GREHN EHYES!) but I think the two together look pretty neat.

Edited by MamboCat

Alright stop spamming. Around here we require that members put some effort into their posts; this is not an "anything goes" forum. If you make a post we expect you to write a considerable amount, at least a few sentences on average. You are not allowed to make single-word posts or observations that have absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand. I've seen your posts and the majority of them have the bare amount of effort.

If you want to stick around then we require that you give the rules a look so you know what does and doesn't fly around here.

I've looked and re-looked at the rules and edited the crappy replies. Thanks for pointing that out. Those posts did look idiotic.

Edited by DaHog

Add me to the list of those that prefers the Unleashed-onwards Sonic as well. I have absolutely no complaints about that design at all. smile.png

When I came back to the Sonic series after being away for 15 years, Classic Sonic was all that I knew beforehand. I had no idea that Sonic had been redesigned, originally I thought him having green eyes and being skinnier and taller was some kind of error or artist's incorrect interpretation of him when I saw Modern Sonic for the first time back in 2010. It didn't bother me any, as I really liked that look for Sonic. I was very pleased to know that those changes weren't a mistake or someone's idea of what they wanted Sonic to look like, but the fact that Sonic had actually undergone a redesign back in 1998. The changes in Sonic have gotten only better since then. I really like the way he looks now.

Although Classic Sonic was all I was familar with, I wouldn't go as far to say that I really liked the way that he looked. It was okay to me, as I found nothing special, nothing very admirable about his Classic look in my opinion. The only redition of Classic Sonic that I actually really like is that of Sonic Generations, as I found it adorable. I definitely have a preference for Modern Sonic, and as I've said several times before, I think Sonic's green eyes compliment him well amid his color scheme, and I find the other changes to him fitting. I only hope that any drastic changes aren't made to Modern Sonic in the near future, if ever, as I think he is fine the way he is. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Overall I think the Modern Sonic design is just good because it basically amounts to Sonic aging somewhat with his fanbase. Kids are kids so will still love him I presume due to his cartoony feel, but his taller, more teenage look appeals to adolescents. I think I can see where Sega was coming from with the design change.

Classic Sonic -is- bloody adorable, don't get me wrong, but I think Modern's gonna be here for a good long while. Unless Sega feels the need to ditch his current design so as to attempt to bury his bad years.

Sonic CD

Both the promotional art and the cutscene art, which are two completely different stlyes, both are very fitting.

Quite what makes the promotional art different from the other classic titles is small, but leaves quite the different impression for it.
His arms and legs are slightly longer in comparison,making him look ever so slightly taller or thinner, other classic Sonic art looks a bit too stubby and cutesy to me, as much as I like it.
Though the expressions shown may play a part, as all the other games of the time had 'smile-for-the-camera' type promotional art, making the Sonic CD ones stand out for being different.
The effect being he doesn't really seem 'cutesy' as the other Japanese 'classic Sonic' art did, more proud and smooth, like a teen with an ego.
sonic-the-hedgehog-cd_zps22d315e9.png
Sonic seems to also have brown eyes, which looks quite nice.

As for the cutscene syle, pretty much all the points for the promotional art apply, but it stands out quite a lot from other'classic' Sonic styles, it seems the animator was given quite some leeway in how they drew Sonic.

SonicCDend2_zps37b7a96b.png
Dreamworks face? Fits him actually, but the 'nike-swoosh Smile' seems to have become Sonic Team's equivelent.

The most notable difference is his quills, which stick up a little more giving an impression of being sharper,  and his eyes, which are a smoother shape and more toony.
He also has rounder shoes, floppy sock-cuffs and glove-cuffs, almost-round ears and a slightly pale color, though the cutscenes have quite a soft color scheme so it doesn't look so out of place.
Despite the differences in design it still looks totally in-tune with his character and exhibits the same cuteness and air of dignity as the promotional material.

Edited by Mysterics
  • Thumbs Up 3

^

That first picture is the one I meant, not sure if I described it accurately. It's one of my favourite Sonic pictures. As well as finding the general design quite nice (no dark outline, softer colours, softer edges) I really like the pose, as though he is about to kick some butt... or has kicked some butt and is showing off! :B

Classic (Japanese) Sonic for me, if only because i feel that his cute face is just much more appealing to look at than modern Sonic's non-cute face.

My favourite design has to be the Adventure 2 design and the current one (Unleashed onwards). They are my favourites because they both have a more strong but appropriate tone of the blue colour (the current one has a more balanced shade of blue though). For the current one, the quills are also a good length and he's not too tall or stubby which is pretty good balance. Hopefully they will stick with the design. As for Classic Sonic, I quite liked his design in Generations.

Edited by C.J

This is easily my favorite classic sonic character model, although Sonic Cd's is close. I believe it's from Sonic 3, but I can't be sure. He seems to be a bit matured, and I like his height and spike placement. I don't know what it is, but his pose gives me a very good vibe.

20120211101419!Sonic_3.png

Edited by Knightofthewind417
  • Thumbs Up 1

I also prefer the current design as the best. Most notably here: 2109601-progressive_sonic_thumb_super.jp

The blue is just right, the indent on his forhead is more shallow, and it looks better asthetically than any other design IMO.

• Thumbs Up 3

Y'know I kinda miss Sonic's head and back spikes being connected.

It was never really consistent, but as the Classics went on he was drawn more and more often with a distinct separation between his head a body. I prefer the separation between the two really; he's got less of an identifiable silhouette otherwise. And having them all connected makes him harder to model to and animate, especially noticeable when they used 3D renders to created the S3/S&K title screens.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1