Awoo.

The Topic of Designs and Re-designs

Clouder

Y'know I kinda miss Sonic's head and back spikes being connected.

I actually kinda do too. Makes them feel more like hedgehog quills and less like funky hair.

But as said, I can't image that would be anything less than awkward to animate, and Sonic is fine as he is imo. It's nice to see so many people fond of his current look. :3c

Edited by Iggy

Sonic CD

Both the promotional art and the cutscene art, which are two completely different stlyes, both are very fitting.

Quite what makes the promotional art different from the other classic titles is small, but leaves quite the different impression for it.
His arms and legs are slightly longer in comparison,making him look ever so slightly taller or thinner, other classic Sonic art looks a bit too stubby and cutesy to me, as much as I like it.
Though the expressions shown may play a part, as all the other games of the time had 'smile-for-the-camera' type promotional art, making the Sonic CD ones stand out for being different.
The effect being he doesn't really seem 'cutesy' as the other Japanese 'classic Sonic' art did, more proud and smooth, like a teen with an ego.
sonic-the-hedgehog-cd_zps22d315e9.png
Sonic seems to also have brown eyes, which looks quite nice.

As for the cutscene syle, pretty much all the points for the promotional art apply, but it stands out quite a lot from other'classic' Sonic styles, it seems the animator was given quite some leeway in how they drew Sonic.

SonicCDend2_zps37b7a96b.png
Dreamworks face? Fits him actually, but the 'nike-swoosh Smile' seems to have become Sonic Team's equivelent.

The most notable difference is his quills, which stick up a little more giving an impression of being sharper,  and his eyes, which are a smoother shape and more toony.
He also has rounder shoes, floppy sock-cuffs and glove-cuffs, almost-round ears and a slightly pale color, though the cutscenes have quite a soft color scheme so it doesn't look so out of place.
Despite the differences in design it still looks totally in-tune with his character and exhibits the same cuteness and air of dignity as the promotional material.

You forgot one thing. There's no buttbrow in the cutscenes.

This thread needs revitalizing! What's your favorite Tails design?

EDIT: 75th post!

Edited by DaCupid

This thread needs revitalizing! What's your favorite Tails design?

Even thogh I like both designs I still call favorites to his classic design.

I also like this peice of artwork from Tails Adventure.

nonic5_userpic_49553_Tails_65.png

• Thumbs Up 2

^ I adore that picture.  It's both cute, beautifully-painted, and kind of funny with the whole, you know, bomb.

I think I love Tails' classic design as well.  I mean, all his designs have been good, though I wasn't really fond of his DiC designs but they were all right in the universes they were made for, but his classic one personifies the innocent boyishness that I came to associate with Tails.

Perhaps that's, in turn, why I love Tails' SA1 and 2 voice actor the best even though there are some admittedly terrible line readings in both games.  (Okay. a LOT)  He personifies the childishness in Tails.  I mean, every voice actor, bar William Corkery, is all right and they sound appropriate for the character, but they capture a different aspect of his personality.  He sounds more like a smart, cartoon kid now, as opposed to just... you know, a kid.  That's not a bad thing or anything.  In fact, it probably fits more given the direction the series has gone, so even if Corey Bringas had suffered from some horrible problem that stagnated his puberty, his voice work would probably not fit very well with Sonic's more recent games.  Still, though, it's not what I associated with Tails, even before Adventure hit shelves.

Anyway, this isn't a voice actor topic, so before I cause a bunch of flame wars, yes, I love that Tails design.  I think the designs for all the characters on the Japanese reference sheet (as seen in Mega Collection) and The Sonic Screensaver are probably my favorites simply because of how vibrant and beautifully they're painted, while they still have quirky cartoon qualities (i.e. the cartoon bomb) but I love the more recent designs as well.

Edited by Akito

Even thogh I like both designs I still call favorites to his classic design.

I also like this peice of artwork from Tails Adventure.

nonic5_userpic_49553_Tails_65.png

That pic immediately made me think of....

batman66bomb.gif

• Thumbs Up 7

though I wasn't really fond of his DiC designs

Same here

I honestly can't fathom how anyone can think that the right one looks anything more than terrible;

qz5b3l.png

Ugly snout on his muzzle, stoned-looking eyes, awful looking 'ears', flat feet/shoes, four fingers and he's brown rather than orange-yellow. Just...eurgh.

• Thumbs Up 1

Same here

I honestly can't fathom how anyone can think that the right one looks anything more than terrible;

[snip]

Ugly snout on his muzzle, stoned-looking eyes, awful looking 'ears', flat feet/shoes, four fingers and he's brown rather than orange-yellow. Just...eurgh.

Eh, I always found Tails' AoStH design to be really cute. I don't like that image on the right though, mostly because of the dumb expression. Here's a random screenshot from AoStH (Not the best one I can find, but I don't have time right now to find a better one unfortunately):

nHoEV5r.png

I'll try and find a better one later, but I think he looks pretty cute.

Edited by Frogging101
  • Thumbs Up 2

Same here

qz5b3l.png

Well, I didn't -hate- the design.  It looked all right in a Disney comic-ish sort of way, but it didn't strike me as the most appealing.

To me, it looks as if the AoStH artists looked at Tails' Japanese design, then his western design, then exaggerated the differences the western design had from the Japanese design.

I don't hate Tails' AoStH design, but it's one of the few occasions where I don't see it as the same character as in the games. (Same goes for SatAm Robotnik) partly due to the radically different design, and partly due to the difference in personality.

Not sure why, but I really dig Sonic's design in Wreck-It Ralph. It looks mostly like Unleashed through Generations, but has small hints of '06 thrown in for good measure.

_sonic_the_hedgehog___wreck_it_ralph_201

Edited by Chaos Controller
  • Thumbs Up 2

*sigh*

I don't know how many times it's going to have to be said that the Wreck It Ralph model is the exact same one that's been used in the games for years now. Same design.

Ugh. I hate how plasticy he looks, and he's got the mother of all buttbrows. And that pose isn't helping things, with two spikes flying off to the sides and the tips of the other two being behind his body and hand...

• Thumbs Up 1

*sigh*

I don't know how many times it's going to have to be said that the Wreck It Ralph model is the exact same one that's been used in the games for years now. Same design.

Are you sure? It looks slightly different. Specifically, his pupils and shoes. Look: http://images.wikia.com/fantendo/images/3/38/Sonic_Wreck_It_Ralph.png (didn't want to post it in this comment, because it's kinda large).

EDIT: In fact, yeah, I'm positive. That's definitely a different model, man.

Are you sure? It looks slightly different. Specifically, his pupils and shoes. Look: http://images.wikia.com/fantendo/images/3/38/Sonic_Wreck_It_Ralph.png (didn't want to post it in this comment, because it's kinda large).

EDIT: In fact, yeah, I'm positive. That's definitely a different model, man.

It's the same bloody model. SEGA is very, very finicky about Sonic's design and would have donated the model to Pixar. Minor adjustments in the way that Sonic is lit and textured would of course be made to fit in with the Pixar style, but they're so incredibly minor they don't warrant a mention. It's the same.

sonic_in_wreck_it_ralph_by_bre_ishurna-d

Remember, it's Pixar animating him as part of a movie, not SEGA as part of a real-time game.

It's the same bloody model. SEGA is very, very finicky about Sonic's design and would have donated the model to Pixar. Minor adjustments in the way that Sonic is lit and textured would of course be made to fit in with the Pixar style, but they're so incredibly minor they don't warrant a mention. It's the same.

sonic_in_wreck_it_ralph_by_bre_ishurna-d

Remember, it's Pixar animating him as part of a movie, not SEGA as part of a real-time game.

- First of all, Pixar had nothing to do with Wreck-It Ralph. It was all done in-house by Disney.

- Second of all, perhaps it's the same model in the movie. But, in the promo art that I've linked, it's clearly not the same model at all. Just look at them.

- First of all, Pixar had nothing to do with Wreck-It Ralph. It was all don in-house by Disney.

- Second of all, perhaps it's the same model in the movie. But, in the promo art that I've linked, it's clearly not the same model at all. Just look at them.

Well pardon me on the Pixar part. But it's the same model, through and through. 

Well pardon me on the Pixar part. But it's the same model, through and through. 

No, it's not. Look at the link that I posted, showing his full-body from the posters, and then look at you're screenshot. In my link, Sonic is taller, his pupils are shaped differently, and his shoes are a different shape.

It actually looks like they took Sonic from '06 and messed with it to make him look more like his current design.

Again, not the in-movie model of Sonic. But, the one used in posters and promo art for the movie.

If they are different models, they're still pretty goddamn close.

Those are both images used in the promo art. They're pretty goddamn close, because they're the same model. The model used for Sonic in the actual movie, however, is a different story.

Waaaiiit just a second. Since when is Wreck-It Ralph a Pixar movie? I thought it was "Disney Animation Studios" or something.

Edited by Frogging101

Waaaiiit just a second. Since when is Wreck-It Ralph a Pixar movie? I thought it was "Disney Animation Studios" or something.

As stated above, that was my mistake. But it doesn't have any relevance to the discussion regardless.

As stated above, that was my mistake. But it doesn't have any relevance to the discussion regardless.

Oh, sorry, I missed that. And you're right, it's irrelevant. Carry on :)

Edited by Frogging101

Well, actually, it is relevant to the discussion, because we're currently discussing Wreck-It Ralph and you mentioned Pixar. It just doesn't have any bearing on whether or not Sonic's model in the movie and games is the same one used in the posters. wink.png