Awoo.

The Topic of Designs and Re-designs

Clouder

Are you sure? It looks slightly different. Specifically, his pupils and shoes. Look: http://images.wikia.com/fantendo/images/3/38/Sonic_Wreck_It_Ralph.png (didn't want to post it in this comment, because it's kinda large).

EDIT: In fact, yeah, I'm positive. That's definitely a different model, man.

The legs and shoes in that render you've posted have been cut and pasted from this '06 pose: http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090129043633/sonic/images/0/06/Next_sonic_00.png

The actual render has shoes like so:

wreck_it_ralph_lead.jpg

... which look exactly like the standard model's from the current games.

Edited by Pawn
  • Thumbs Up 1

^ Whoa. You're right! Good look.

That still doesn't explain the pupils, though. They're clearly not the same.

Exhibit A (Wreck-It Ralph): http://cdn1.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/sonic-the-hedgehog-wreck-it-ralph-character-guide.jpg
Exhibit B (Sonic Generations): http://media.sonicscanf.org/gallery/sonic-the-hedgehog/sonic-generations-modern-sonic-2-2.png

^ Whoa. You're right! Good look.

That still doesn't explain the pupils, though. They're clearly not the same.

Exhibit A (Wreck-It Ralph): http://cdn1.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/sonic-the-hedgehog-wreck-it-ralph-character-guide.jpg

Exhibit B (Sonic Generations): http://media.sonicscanf.org/gallery/sonic-the-hedgehog/sonic-generations-modern-sonic-2-2.png

And such is one of the minor, minor adjustments to make Sonic match the WIR Art style.

Edited by Blue Blood

And such is one of the minor, minor adjustments to make Sonic match the WIR Art style.

Minor or not, it's still obvious that's not his current game model. Heavily based on it, but not in any way exact.

Minor or not, it's still obvious that's not his current game model. Heavily based on it, but not in any way exact.

My point exactly.

How does changing how Sonic's pupils are shaped make it match the Wreck-It Ralph art-style...?

EDIT - Also, note Sonic's quills in WIR. His quills definitely aren't like that in the game.

Exhibit C (Sonic Unleashed): http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/images/9/2008/03/unleashed3.jpg

Edited by Chaos Controller

I think they're different models. The top of his head looks more like it used to in Sonic 06 and Adventure 2. The current game model doesn't have this, and overall his features are all smoothed out making him look bland. I actually prefer his look in that promo WiR pose. With the exception of the plastic shine.

Just a side note, saw the 5 second sonic part of the credits, they have the wrong boss for the zone!

Just a side note, saw the 5 second sonic part of the credits, they have the wrong boss for the zone!

Sonic 2 was never released in the arcades anyway (not as far as I know anyway, I know sonic 1 was)

hrm...learn something new everyday. So the arcade in wreck it ralph had Sonic the fighters AND Sonic 2.

Best arcade ever!

and apparently an arcade game of Halo, 

I know I might have come to this forum late but I'm going to post this none the less.

I will probably get a lot of hate for this but I really liked the CGI'd cutscenes of sonic from Sonic 06 very much.

If I was to change anything when it come with redesigning him.  I would have every character have clothes.  I know it sounds ridiculous but it has always bothered me that only the female characters have clothes and the male characters haven't.

What are your thoughts?

I think it's probably because with a female character you could see breasts (not in a naked human way) but they are there on a female figure, so they cover them up. (Blaze for example has a coat, covers her breasts but not her crotch) you could take away any genetalia and still have a female figure, take away the breasts (generally) you have a male figure. the character designs are meant to be simple, adding clothes would complicate things a lot more, even the females have simple clothing

I know I might have come to this forum late but I'm going to post this none the less.

I will probably get a lot of hate for this but I really liked the CGI'd cutscenes of sonic from Sonic 06 very much.

If I was to change anything when it come with redesigning him.  I would have every character have clothes.  I know it sounds ridiculous but it has always bothered me that only the female characters have clothes and the male characters haven't.

What are your thoughts?

I thought the CGI cut scenes in Sonic '06 were extremely well done but it felt... out of place for a Sonic game. It seemed more appropriate for a Final Fantasy game in my opinion.

As for the male characters wearing clothes, well, it depends on the design of the outfit and making sure it fits the character's style. We're so used to seeing Sonic without clothes (with the exception of his gloves and sneakers) that sometimes when we do see him wearing full body clothes, it can look "off" or too awkward.

I think the reason why female Sonic characters wear clothes is because it's a common cartoon trope. In the golden age of animation (and probably even today) most female animal toons wore clothes and males didn't. Even if the females weren't fully covered they still had some bit of clothing, like a bow, dress, or cute skirts (like Babs and Mini Mouse). Meanwhile the males were completely pantless.

I guess they continue to dress up the girl characters because a) it's what they're used to or b ) a woman's body is sacred and should be covered up for modesty tongue.png

Edited by Scarz

I think it's probably because with a female character you could see breasts (not in a naked human way) but they are there on a female figure, so they cover them up. (Blaze for example has a coat, covers her breasts but not her crotch) you could take away any genitalia and still have a female figure, take away the breasts (generally) you have a male figure. the character designs are meant to be simple, adding clothes would complicate things a lot more, even the females have simple clothing

I understand most of this, it's just seems bothering for me though.  I don't why but it just those.  Could you imagine what it would be like in the Sonic world.

"WHY ARE YOU NAKED SONIC"

"WHY ARE YOU WEARING CLOTHES AMY"

LOL

I thought the CGI cut scenes in Sonic '06 were extremely well done but it felt... out of place for a Sonic game. It seemed more appropriate for a Final Fantasy game in my opinion.

Yeah I shall admit that it that it is a little bit out of place in Sonic 06 but just because realistic humans are there if his figure was like that but without the humans I doubt people will have much of an issue with.  It's just a thought though.

Even if the "realistic humans" (as they are neither realistic nor human) were not in 06, Sonic's design would still be off. He'd still have unnaturally long and flexible spines, a weird-as-hell torso, iffy limb-length and weird-as-fuck teeth like all the other anthros.

Even if the "realistic humans" (as they are neither realistic nor human) were not in 06, Sonic's design would still be off. He'd still have unnaturally long and flexible spines, a weird-as-hell torso, iffy limb-length and weird-as-fuck teeth like all the other anthros.

Remember I'm talking about the CGI custscenes.  like the first one you see in the game.

Also.

It's a game franchise about a humanoid blue hedgehog who can run really fast, you've got to have some ascension of disbelieve.  And as for the "realistic humans"... thing.  I'm referring to characters such a Princess Elise, not the usual cast.

By that I meant the NPC humans, not Sonic and the other anthros. And suspension of disbelief doesn't excuse a horrible design. The current design (used in Unleashed/Colours/Generations) is far better than 06's.

Edited by Spin Attaxx
  • Thumbs Up 2

By that I meant that the NPC humans, not Sonic and the other anthros. And suspension of disbelief doesn't excuse a horrible design. The current design (used in Unleashed/Colours/Generations) is far better than 06's.

Not to me though.  I honestly just briefer his design in Sonic 06 (CGI wise of course) then in any other sonic game.  Just get rid of the humans and I'm a very happy bunny (Maybe add clothing as well but that is a minor request).

It's a game franchise about a humanoid blue hedgehog who can run really fast, you've got to have some ascension of disbelieve.

"Suspension of disbelief". And it's not a matter of not believing the thing could exist, it's a matter of the thing being ugly. Sonic looks ugly and weird in '06.
  • Thumbs Up 3

"Suspension of disbelief". And it's not a matter of not believing the thing could exist, it's a matter of the thing being ugly. Sonic looks ugly and weird in '06.

Well not to me he doesn't.  I like the CGI'd Sonic for Sonic 06.  None more needs to be said.

I don't think Sonic looks bad in Sonic '06, actually.  Not my favorite design, but I mean, there are worse problems in the game.

MAKE IT STOP!! X_X

(Note, I'm not even bashing Jason Griffith's Sonic.  That's just a horrible take for ANY voice actor's standards.)

Edited by Akito