Awoo.

The Topic of Designs and Re-designs

Clouder

I agree with what somebody else said, in that modern Sonic doesn't seem "spiky" enough. It's most likely just the quills' length - if they stood up too much they'd just look bizarre, so they have to be more droopy to look more natural - in in the process this also takes away some of his attitude imo. Keep him mostly the same, but give him shorter quills - it just looks so much more "Sonic"-like to me.

In terms of redesign, all I would want them to do is use the Unleashed-onwards model but with SOAP Shoes, because, damn, do those things look COOL. Sadly, I don't see it happening anytime soon since SOAP is out of business, and even if SOAP still was in business, that was only a one-time promotional thing for SA2. :(

Edited by GuywithPie3376

Agreed on the SOAP shoes thing. Those things were totally dope. Though I would love to see more form fitting gloves on Sonic, as well as some sort of pants. Just seems right to me that Sonic would wear pants.

I agree with what somebody else said, in that modern Sonic doesn't seem "spiky" enough. It's most likely just the quills' length - if they stood up too much they'd just look bizarre, so they have to be more droopy to look more natural - in in the process this also takes away some of his attitude imo. Keep him mostly the same, but give him shorter quills - it just looks so much more "Sonic"-like to me.

I think this is why the spikes on Sonic look shorter in LW. Keeps the spiky and peppy look, but still looks just like your ordinary modern Sonic design. It looks great now, imo.

I'd actually say that's a good thing. The whole "Hedgehog with attitude" thing has been dropping more and more over time but I think it needs to be gone completely. It's twenty years out of date, it's not the 90's anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd actually say that's a good thing. The whole "Hedgehog with attitude" thing has been dropping more and more over time but I think it needs to be gone completely. It's twenty years out of date, it's not the 90's anymore.

What does Sonic even have without an attitude, tho'.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think it takes real skill in missing the point and in being completely oblivious to the source character when this bombastic, silly man is morphed from this;

tumblr_mt8pmeSBrM1s9pusko1_500.png

Into this;

tumblr_mt8pmeSBrM1s9pusko2_500.png

I never once thought that this was ever really justified even for an in-name-only adaptation. Everything that makes Robotnik such a flamboyant and appealing character is stripped with surgical precision and replaced with a design that just reeks of 'trying too hard'

With game Robotnik, there a palpable thread of unnervingness that stems from his hidden eyes behind his round glasses and odd shape and this is contrasted by how zany he looks at the same time with his big grin and huge moustache, fitting very well into a series with a little blue Hedgehog and a two-tailed fox who can fly by spinning said tails. Am I supposed to take Julian seriously? Am I? Because the cone head, red and black eyes and cape and the overall design of his costume really dilutes any legitimately 'evil' vibes he's supposed to give off.

• Thumbs Up 9

Charm?  Style?  Sophistication?

okay no, but

Sonic's recent foray into faux-coolness is far more appealing to me than his years of "giant talking eggs" and "real super power of teamworks" and "it's time to rock and rolls".  It's simultaneously a character flaw and reference to Sonic's real world situation, with characters like him rapidly going out of style like ten years ago.  The fact that Sonic still thinks all these dorky lines are cool while his friends can clearly see that he's just a huge goofball makes him infinitely more charming than when games take his awful lines seriously.

Edited by NOPE

....speed?

But yeah, I agree with what NOPE said, the recent hint of irony in his cool dude image works well.

I think it takes real skill in missing the point and in being completely oblivious to the source character when this bombastic, silly man is morphed from this;

tumblr_mt8pmeSBrM1s9pusko1_500.png

Into this;

tumblr_mt8pmeSBrM1s9pusko2_500.png

I never once thought that this was ever really justified even for an in-name-only adaptation. Everything that makes Robotnik such a flamboyant and appealing character is stripped with surgical precision and replaced with a design that just reeks of 'trying too hard'

With game Robotnik, there a palpable thread of unnervingness that stems from his hidden eyes behind his round glasses and odd shape and this is contrasted by how zany he looks at the same time with his big grin and huge moustache, fitting very well into a series with a little blue Hedgehog and a two-tailed fox who can fly by spinning said tails. Am I supposed to take Julian seriously? Am I? Because the cone head, red and black eyes and cape and the overall design of his costume really dilutes any legitimately 'evil' vibes he's supposed to give off.

... When I was a kid, I thought SatAM Robotnik was super intimidating.  But then, I was barely old enough to remember any character's name aside from Sonic's so... Anyway, I'll agree that from a matured standpoint, SatAM Robotnik is downright silly and completely contradictory to everything that defined Robotnik in the games.  But I think what kills it is not the aesthetics, but the voice.  Now, I love me some Jim Cummings, don't get me wrong, but that "eerie" echo, half-whisper, and dramatic emphasis every single time he opens his mouth is just hilarious.  I'm not saying that with a different voice direction Julian could have been taken seriously, but perhaps he'd have the potential to be humorous for appropriate reasons.  Maybe.

On the subject of Sonic and "attitude," I am actually kind of glad to see that he's straying from the 90's  "kewl dewd with da tewd" archetype.  Don't get me wrong, that's an okay archetype too, but I find myself enjoying this more soft-spoken, patient, and empathetic Sonic much more.  That being said, he should always have that sort of 90's flair, occasionally being very blunt, throwing out cheesy one-liners every so often and having a generally carefree personality, but it shouldn't be played up like the attitude is the sole defining factor of his personality.  That's just my opinion, anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
In terms of redesign, all I would want them to do is use the Unleashed-onwards model but with SOAP Shoes, because, damn, do those things look COOL. Sadly, I don't see it happening anytime soon since SOAP is out of business, and even if SOAP still was in business, that was only a one-time promotional thing for SA2. :(
Basically this is what I want (Out of Sonic, I don't really like the other designs other than Tails) 130bf3ae4bde3b225a07921e4905189e-d6p14f7 Just make his body (Especially around his head) more accurate to the Unleashed-onwards model, but keeping all the extra little quills that make him look cool and remove the jacket.
  • Thumbs Up 3

Basically this is what I want (Out of Sonic, I don't really like the other designs other than Tails) 130bf3ae4bde3b225a07921e4905189e-d6p14f7 Just make his body (Especially around his head) more accurate to the Unleashed-onwards model, but keeping all the extra little quills that make him look cool and remove the jacket.

I'm glad you brought the Sonic Boom designs, I'm predicting Tails and Amy will turn out looking great, Sonic could go either way, and we all know Knuckles will be awful. I'm fine with giving the characters clothes, but Knuckles has never looked anything remotely like that, and doesn't appeal to me at all.

32ee417a5c69944a06af238638cd7fe8-d5bdn7i

I'd also really like something exactly like this, but without the really baggy pants, and make his gloves smaller, because those things look like they're about to fall off of his hands. Also, remove that weird effect where his arm and torso colors fuse. I honestly just don't like the idea of male Sonic characters wearing anything other than gloves, and shoes. Still, I can imagine that design looking really badass even without those pants.

Edited by GuywithPie
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm glad you brought the Sonic Boom designs, I'm predicting Tails and Amy will turn out looking great, Sonic could go either way, and we all know Knuckles will be awful. I'm fine with giving the characters clothes, but Knuckles has never looked anything remotely like that, and doesn't appeal to me at all.

Actually, I'm cautiously optimistic about Knuckles design. Knuckles was originally brawnier than Sonic to begin with - we kinda lost that in Sonic Adventure -  and this design adds diversity to the cast, who are mostly the same size and shape.

640px-800px-Classic_sonic_orthographic.s

CS_K_01.png

I am going to miss his boxing-gloves though, and his arms really don't fit with the rest of the Sonic cast...

^^^^^ I like your interesting re-interpretation of the main cast. Gonna ride your cloud here and upload my recent redesigns...

e37820fbf6e4159c1b7721487fa200fb-d6raepd

Here's a little scrap to prove I'm not dead. It's a small redesign to the Sonic cast. It's pretty similar to current design, but it leans towards the classic designs. It's kinda bugged me that with the current design they're so tall now, and the critters (such as flickies) are now so small. In my design, Sonic is say, just more than a half the height of a regular human, and critters are all half of Sonic's height.

Knuckles probably has the most noticeable changes; He has a darker skin-tone, A "guardian" necklace similar to Tikal's (It keeps him in tune with the master emerald, and boosts his natural ability to sense when it's in danger), and wears sandals instead of shoes (because seriously, where does an Echinda get shoes from on an lost civilization in the sky?. I've tried to play up his tribal "echida" side.

They also all have slightly more noticeable varying body types, to stop them from all looking too samey.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 months later...

BUMP: I found this person's redesigns and I absolutely love some of them:

sonicblue.jpg
sonic_redesign__knuckles_by_nerfuffle-d5
eggman_robotnik_redesign_by_nerfuffle-d6sonic_redesign__tails_by_nerfuffle-d5fd3

What do you think?

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah, I recognise those from a while back. Certainly interesting takes (in a good way)...but some of them might push the boat out a little too far.

sonicblue.jpg

eggman_robotnik_redesign_by_nerfuffle-d6sonic_redesign__tails_by_nerfuffle-d5fd3

What do you think?

I love the Eggman redesign! If his Sonic Boom version will look like this, I wont complain smile.png

sonicblue.jpg

What do you think?

I can't say I'm a big fan of any of them. It's well drawn for what the designs are trying to go for, but I don't like robotic Eggman at all, Sonic looks seriously high, Tails' ears just don't look right to me, and Knuckles' design looking realistic just looks flat out terrible. Whoever drew this is a talented artist, but these designs are tripping balls, and not in a good way to me.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm of the opinion that many of the character's designs as they currently are are perfectly functional and appealing and certainly not in need of drastic shake-up. I think doing that would be change for the sake of change rather than for any genuinely compelling reason. As for that fanart up there, it's stylistic in an intriguing way but are certainly not good as redesigns IMO. I've said it before but I still think that the sheer shake-up of Knuckles' body structure/size in Boom is utterly unnecessary and seems to undermine that mildly appealing factor of him having potent physical strength in a small package.

I seriously dig Sally's new design. Not only does it look friggin' cool but 'le gasp, she actually looks like a Sonic character and who largely abides by the distinctive yet still fairly flexible character design standards without looking like her design has been ruined by them.

• Thumbs Up 5

Gotta add my own take of Sonic and Shadow here that I already posted in my thread (assuming people care about my works...)

1389742165-saniche-prev.png

shadow_redesigned_by_alphonsedaya-d61121

What I did:

-The skin color has now been turned white, to give a retro style to the characters. The bump behind the nose is also gone.

-Both Sonic and Shadow have hairy chests and Sonic's skin/white belly is also applied to Shadow.

-Sonic has shorter spine, like in the classic games, and they're also pointed upward, to make more emphasis on the Speed part of the character. Shadow's spine has now a simple thunder pattern and are as long as they were in the original designs, to make him more unique than Sonic. Also his stripes on his face has been modified so that their end would go up to his ears.

-The style for the eyes have been changed, going for the yet cartoony but realistic eyelids to something more pattern like: a white oval at the center surrounded by a thick black circle. In here there's to shaeds of color: a brown one at the top which is universal to everyone, and another color at the bottom, depending on the character's original eye colors.

-Sonic's shoes has been changed, taking the patterns of mutiple sneakers and simplified/exaggerated them, as well as making them more triangular shaped. SA1's light speed dash upgrade is also added in there for both style and practicalness (The Lightspeed Dash being permanent). Shadow's Hover Shoes are now Hover Boots, to emphasis the miliatry side of his.

-Sonic's gloves have now a button on it, to make the gloves more interesting to look at while still making it simple. Same thing with Shadow, who not only has also a button on his glove (that is shaped by the Project Shadow's logo), but his gloves are changed into agauntlet, again giving more emphasis on his military side.

Hope this post won't be ignored because I really care about this.