Awoo.

Classic Sonic - US vs JP

Kamakai

Alright, so when Sonic the Hedgehog was designed in 1990, SEGA of America decided they had to change the original design to make it more 'edgy' to fit the audience.

Here is the original design:post-3789-0-03410700-1359743507_thumb.jp and here is the redesign:post-3789-0-88027300-1359743586_thumb.jp

Which do you think is better, and why? Personally, I prefer the original (JP) one by far. Smoother lines, lovely colours, and just a better shape in my opinion. The USA 'mohawk' style looks ugly to me, sleep.png

• Thumbs Up 5

I highly doubt anyone prefers US Sonic, he was barely used for anything over all and his pose/expression was the exact same each time.

The Japanese design, no doubt. The assface American design looks like a cheap knockoff, and it's got a kind of melting wax look that just...eugh.

• Thumbs Up 4

Never really liked the the American one, it reminded me too much of a mouse and never looked like the in game sprites when compared...infact everytime I saw it I just put the game in right away and turned the genesis around and just played the game :u

I mean, I don't hate it now but I don't like it too much either. Then there's the Megaman drawing done with that art style...

I generally dislike most SoA elements, Sonic's design included. It is merely a heavily-edited version of the original art for seemingly no reason other than making it an ugly caricature. It's not like they had talent to make a good continuity, nevermind a decent character design.

Japanese design. It's obviously the superior from the pair. He's cute, he's adorable, he has personality and is very well drawn.

chibi.png

And this.

<3

Doesn't mean I dislike murrika sonic though, I just prefer japan sanic

Edited by Blue Wisp

Am I the only fucking person who finds America Classic Sonic charming in his own special "90s" way?

I like both of them equally. I just like the JP original version more.

• Thumbs Up 1

Then there's the Megaman drawing done with that art style...

You mean the one where Mega Man looks like a little old Asian man more than a 10 year old kid?

You mean this?

180px-MM-shirt-megasonic.jpg

• Thumbs Up 6

I like both of them equally. I just like the JP original version more.

It can't be both equally AND liking the JP one more!

Obviously JP for me, but I don't detest American quite as much as some people.

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess the US Sonic is the one I grew up with; I had the Sonic 1 poster featuring old assface on my bedroom wall, back in the 90s...

But it was always the Japanese version that I preferred (but I didn't realise that's what the difference was). I saw the image of him and Amy Rose (in the Sonic CD manual) and in one of the Sonic annuals the inside cover is of him pulling down one of his gloves, in the Japanese style. I always really liked this pictures when I was a kid, it's only recently with finding the Sonic Screensaver pictures that I have found more.

Then of course there is AoSTH Sonic with the single line of spikes down his back (never liked that, I always saw Sonic as "spikier" than that), the not that dissimilar Archie and Underground Sonic... and STC's Sonic which had a different design from both of them, and constantly changed from artist to artist, and over time as well. :B

Meh; anyways original Classic Japanese Sonic gets one vote from me!

Edited by MamboCat
  • Thumbs Up 1

Am I the only fucking person who finds America Classic Sonic charming in his own special "90s" way?

nope, i also find the american sonic to be superior.

Idk why i prefier it, maybe because i grew up with that design....

Well... Atleast american sonic looks way better than the american megaman from the boxarts from megaman 1 and 2....

Edited by GEO1452

JP without a doubt. He looks so natural and with the perfect blend of cuteness and coolness. Something about the american design looks so forced and unpleasant, and all its cuteness is gone. It's just so ugly and forced.

• Thumbs Up 1

For the most part, the American and Japanese designs aren't THAT different. It's the specific artistry that made the small changes look so much worse. The American design gave him permenantly angry eyes with a buttbrow, and made it look like he had a mohawk. That's it. The rest is just the terrible, terrible, fashionable late 80s/early 90s fashion.

Everyone above me has pretty much said what has to be said. The JP Classic design is my all-time favorite Sonic design, with the current Modern design coming in at a close second. Assic Sonic just in general looks plain ugly, and his expression is the same on nearly EVERY drawing.

And I actually made a topic considering this subject a few months ago...

Edited by Felix

I really hate the American design for sonic in the Genesis/Megadrive games, and I think only Sonic 1 and European Sonic CD got the design right, which is one of the reasons I love the Sonic CD European cover art.

JP Classic Sonic is more or less the definitive design, buuuuut...

...I kinda like US Classic's Mohawk. PLEASE DON'T KILL ME.

Edited by thapoint09 (temp)

I always had an affinity for JP Sonic. His more streamlined look makes him appear sleek, as the fastest thing alive should. The US Sonic adds too many lines without improving any of the design aesthetically. He's too shiny, his spines just look wrong and he has that permanent attitude brow. JP Sonic's simpler face allowed you to project your definition of attitude on him unlike the US design which chose to forever label him with 90s attitude.

• Thumbs Up 1

JP Sonic for me all the way! He's cute but get on his bad side and he'll fuck ya up GOOD.

Not to say I don't like US Sonic. He's... "90s cool" if you catch my meaning.

I love how shiny Hardcore American Sanic is. I mean if nothing else it was a unique look. And I do love the in yo face 90s attitude. But JP Sanic is overall a better design, lending itself to more than just the "attitude" aspect of the character.

You mean the one where Mega Man looks like a little old Asian man more than a 10 year old kid?

You mean this?

180px-MM-shirt-megasonic.jpg

That's hilarious! What the hell?