Awoo.

Classic Sonic - US vs JP

Kamakai

Oh yeah thanks for reminding me why I didn't like the "American" version of Sonic, it reminded me too much of Mickey mouse with its redesign for the American audience, it made Sonic seem very unoriginal.

thats your problem not mine you're pretty much missing the point does he have a buttface no but sonic has the same thing so you nitpick on him sonic is baced on classic characters and if American sonic makes you want to scoop your eyes out then you have serious problems

Edited by Diz

So....I happen to like JP Sonic.

As some as said, his design is more timeless and adorable. While I never bothered to notice much difference between the two when I was younger, it's clear to me now that the US sticks out like a sore thumb.

just a quick though about AoStH and satAM sonic's having mohawks, it may be down to wanting to save time and money by having less quills to draw rather than an attempt to copy the american design.

Back then companies did everything possible to save money and get the product made as cheaply aspossible, drawing three spines rather than six on the main character for about a hundred 20 minutes episodes, 12 frames a second, weird as it sounds is a massive saving.

• Thumbs Up 1

Like everyone else in the world, I prefer the Japanese design aswell. The american one looks a bit weird and never changes his expression.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I think it's silly that I'd have to like the American design just because I grew up in America looking at that one. I might have not even like that design as a kid. We all have different opinions on this. What's wrong with liking the Japanese design more? I think the Japanese one just looks more natural. He looks more goofy,wacky and a cute as well as well as looking like a badass when needed. And it's been able to show sonics personality and expressions much better IMO. I you like American sonic, cool. Just please don't tell us what we should like.

and if your American why the heck do you like Jap sonic retards it should be Americans like American sonic and Japs should like Jap sonic
Old, but I just had to point out the obvious contradiction.

Old, but I just had to point out the obvious contradiction.

Context: the bottom quote was originally posted by a troll who got full-blown bounced from here -- their posts have been completely wiped out. The top quote was the one posted by "Xemnas".

• Thumbs Up 1

Context: the bottom quote was originally posted by a troll who got full-blown bounced from here -- their posts have been completely wiped out. The top quote was the one posted by "Xemnas".

The bottom quote was part of the top quote.

I think it's silly that I'd have to like the American design just because I grew up in America looking at that one. I might have not even like that design as a kid. We all have different opinions on this. What's wrong with liking the Japanese design more? I think the Japanese one just looks more natural. He looks more goofy,wacky and a cute as well as well as looking like a badass when needed. And it's been able to show sonics personality and expressions much better IMO. I you like American sonic, cool. Just please don't tell us what we should like.

no the person who made sonic wanted him to be an American character and the Jap version came after made there own sonic and copied Sonic the Hedgehog the first sonic game made

He's a cartoon character he looks the same in every picture because thats his pose and quite calling him "assface" bugs bunny, mickey mouse, daffy duck,... the list goes on and on of American characters that have that all you that call him that are retarded and if your American why the heck do you like Jap sonic retards it should be Americans like American sonic and Japs should like Jap sonic

Edited by GuywithPie3376

The bottom quote was part of the top quote.

Again, that bottom quote wasn't originally posted by "Xemnas;" it was quoted from the bounced troll, whose bouncing somehow borked the coding of whatever posts they made that was quoted.

Pretty sure it was already said by somebody else (I forgot who tongue.png ) , but I think US Classic looks great in a 90's sort of way. I love both, but the Japanese design looks a little smoother to me. It's my prefered model.

Ironic that he was Americanized to appeal better to the target audience in western countries. And yet the majority of people so far seem to prefer his Japanese design. Just goes to show that some things are better left alone >.<

Ironic that he was Americanized to appeal better to the target audience in western countries. And yet the majority of people so far seem to prefer his Japanese design. Just goes to show that some things are better left alone >.<

That depends. A lot of it for many people probably has to do with hindsight. Sonic's design is basically American Kirby is Hardcore gone a bit too far, but it cannot be overstated how much it worked at the time.

That depends. A lot of it for many people probably has to do with hindsight. Sonic's design is basically American Kirby is Hardcore gone a bit too far, but it cannot be overstated how much it worked at the time.

Oh for sure! It worked very well at the time. But it does make you ponder what would have changed, if anything, had they kept the design the same in all regions at the beginning. Would it have worked just as well? Would it have been worse? Or maybe better? What would our cartoons have looked like?

As for my personal thoughts, like someone earlier. I never knew about the Japanese style Sonic until I brought Sonic CD. For some reason they never altered the artwork surrounding that title and it won me over instantly. That "Sonic pulling his glove on" pic was and probably still is one of, if not my favorite piece of Sonic artwork. I was sad that Sonic 3 and S&K went back to the American style after being spoiled with all the art from Sonic CD.

Edited by Tenko

• 9 years later...
On 2/1/2013 at 1:33 PM, Kamakai said:

Alright, so when Sonic the Hedgehog was designed in 1990, SEGA of America decided they had to change the original design to make it more 'edgy' to fit the audience.

Here is the original design:post-3789-0-03410700-1359743507_thumb.jp and here is the redesign:post-3789-0-88027300-1359743586_thumb.jp

Which do you think is better, and why? Personally, I prefer the original (JP) one by far. Smoother lines, lovely colours, and just a better shape in my opinion. The USA 'mohawk' style looks ugly to me, http://a.board.sonicstadium.org/public/style_emoticons/default/sleep.png

i feel the same way by judging these redesigns or cover though when it comes to localization changes for better or for worse.
(this is just a response to the 10 year old post however I know nothing is new it repeats it self a note for moderator.)

Edited by JosephTheMobiusBatAU
this note edit was meant for reply for 10 years old or ago sorry im using google account

American Sonic will always be the best Sonic 

On 6/29/2023 at 4:04 PM, soncic said:

Edited by Fastest Thing Alive

14 hours ago, Fastest Thing Alive said:

American Sonic will always be the best Sonic 

i prefer Jpn sonic for the box arts, but satam and aosth sonic is the better one out of the twI

sonic, he can really move, sonic , he’s got an attitude!

Personally I prefer the American box art oh and sorry for saying you named at the last post I accidentally hit the reply button  and your post showed up at the end 

This Is a hard one to choose because I like both designs of them. I always liked the JP design back In the 90's I'm going to choose the JP design one.