Awoo.

The Sonic forms elaboration thread

Vertekins

Pinnacle of topic/OP effort, kudos. And I like transforming into different versions of Sonic, but it seems pretty hit and miss for when they're actually good or play comfortably. Super Sonic in Generations is annoying because it gobbles your rings in modern form, and Classic Super Sonic is just a skin. The wisps were cool, the werehog was a good idea but could have been executed way better gameplay wise, Darkspine sonic is bleh to me (I don't really dig the design xP), aaaand yeah. Colors was a breath of fresh air because Super Sonic was still an option, but it didn't keep on the traditional cliche of using him for a final boss fight with everyone bringing out their best cheerleading gear. All and all  it's always interesting to see more Sonic forms, they remind me alot of Mario's transformations, and that's not a bad thing. It enhances gameplay (again, when done right) and makes for more variety. Do the new forms necessarily need to be apart of the story? EeEeEEeeeh, every once in a while I suppose, but it's not really a necessity. Again I look at Colors, which handled alternate forms and powers beautifully, I hope we can see such great execution again in the future.

Edited by Extruder

Call me Captain Obvious but I really like the Wisps. They have beautiful designs, and are really fun to use.

Except in Planet Wisp Classic. Spike Wisp was annoying there. Otherwise, I love the Wisps and I do like Super Sonic. But personally, I would like to see Super Sonic playable in stages being a regular thing from now on.

Also god damn Excalibur Sonic is so sexy.

Great topic you've got here Verte!

The wisps were an interesting idea, and they definitely offered Sonic more options than he's usually got, but being one-use powers and not playing much of anything like Sonic made them feel kind of awkward. If they were to ever revisit the idea, I think it'd be better if they worked a bit more like Mario powerups. Instead of being one use per item, you'd change into, say, Laser Sonic, and you'd be able to laser dash on command until you lost the powerup (for a shorter distance than the laser in Colors, but you could extend it by bouncing off walls and shit). And instead of things like Hover and Frenzy completely changing your controls into something that's slow and/or clumsy, you'd control normally (or mostly so; maybe hover would make you lighter/jump higher but otherwise act as normal) and have a relevant ability that you can use at your discretion.

e: also the werehog was the best bad idea they've had and has more potential than the modern gameplay

Edited by Diogenes
  • Thumbs Up 3

What is one of the coolest aspects of the Sonic franchise apart from it's technicolour anthromorph cast and blistering sense of speed?

The many alternate forms of the main character of course! With the exception of Sonic Colours with the main gameplay-focused Wisp forms and refreshing lack of Super form fight in the final boss, nearly every Sonic game ends with a form vs Final boss. It's one of the most enduring aspects of the series.

- What do you think of the transformation gimmick in the series?

- What do you think of the forms?

- What do you think can be done to expand upon them and their gameplay and story relevance?

- What about forms not covered here from alternate Sonic continuities/Non-canon forms i.e Hyper Sonic from S3&K, Archie's Ultra/Polar/Eco/Solar Sonic, "Dark Super Sonic" from X?

Discuss!

Great OP! Now, I am going to use this post to answer the questions:

1) I actually like the idea of transformation gimmicks in the series. I find them interesting as it changes things up with the gameplay and whatnot. Sega and Sonic Team may have not implemented them all correctly, but I commend them for trying something new for us to experience in the series.

2) I like the forms personally, as it provides Sonic with some interesting abilities. For the most part, these transformations don't cause Sonic's personality to change. The werehog is okay, it's just that the whole gameplay behind him doesn't appeal to me. Darkspine Sonic is okay too, he's just too angry for my liking, although I understand why he was. I don't like the design, either. Unlike some, I'm yet to grow sick and tired of Super Sonic, the wisps are pure fun and provided variety to the gameplay, and Excalibur Sonic is simply awesome:

Seeing this transformation impresses and amazes me each and every time I see it...smile.png

3) I'm not sure what could be done to expand upon the forms and their gameplay and story relevance. I honestly think the forms are fine the way they are serving as a temporary purpose in each of the game, as I would rather just see Sonic being Sonic sans any transformations for the most part. If anything, it would be interesting to see Sonic being seriously challenged in these forms or at least conquered like he was as Super Sonic in Sonic Unleashed by Dr. Eggman in the very beginning of the game.

4) I've never heard of the other forms mentioned in this question other than Hyper Sonic and "Dark Super Sonic". I don't know much about Hyper Sonic and how he is different from Super Sonic, but from what I gather it wasn't much, nor was it necessary as we have Super Sonic. As for "Dark Super Sonic" from Sonic X, there was some potential there as Sonic was really angry and looked like he was about to wreck some serious havoc. Too bad it was short lived, for seeing that temper tantrum of Sonic and possible destruction he could of caused would of been very interesting to see.

• Thumbs Up 3

Ah, so THIS is why you were trying to get a screenshot of Cyan Laser!

But yeah, I'd like it if Super Sonic was made more mysterious and wasn't used to fight the final boss of every game.

BTW, could we also discuss forms of other Sonic characters e.g. Burning Blaze?

I personally really don't care for the forms because I prefer working with the basics, but I've made that opinion clear many times before now. 

Honestly, my headcanon always portrayed the three transformation gimmicks as being incomplete parts of Super Sonic, each aspect representing a different virtue/state of being.

Darkspine Form would represent Retribution, only appearing when Sonic was in a state of righteous fury. This form would have been the second rarest form, with only the Werehog being rarer, since Sonic is rarely angry, only becoming so at his most emotionally charged.

Excalibur Form would represent Justice, only appearing in a state of absolute heroism. What kind of prerequisites would be involved here are a little hard for me to figure out, since this form involves an actual weapon; not to mention I'm not really sure how much Sonic in my headcanon would be able to pull off absolute heroism, but whatever.

Werehog Form would represent Willpower, but it's requirements are much more specific: Sonic needs to be faced with a type of corruption, whether through emotional manipulation or through external darkness. Because this is an incredibly rare occurrence, even compared to Darkspine, this form is the rarest of the three.

Edited by 743-E.D. Missile
  • Thumbs Up 4

There's no Hyper Sonic in this post ruinedforeverdontbuy

Hyper Sonic is pointless anyway, but it would have been cool in Colours if only because of the announcer being there to go

HYPAH SONIC

It was really cool hearing the announcer say "Super Sonic" in Colours, so yeah.

I don't really like Super Sonic that much anymore, he either cheeses the game, acts as a lame final boss gimmick, or is neutered as all hell, and he either replaces the music with a repetitive loop or doesn't change it at all, which is just as jarring.

I think Colours handled new forms the best, really aided exploration and returning to previous levels once you'd unlocked them all. While Generations Planet Wisp gets plenty of ire, I think Rocket was more fun to use (aside from being spammed) there than in Colours. In Colours you just press the button, but in Generations you can charge it up and go blasting off high into the sky, it's really cool. Generations Spikes sucked though, so clunky and stiff, which is odd because Classic Sonic and the original Spikes in Colours were more loose and had insane Spin Dashes, so you'd think the Generations one would keep that, but it's so weak it's annoying.

Werehog wasn't terrible, it had it's moments, but I wish that stupid music didn't come on in every battle up to Eggmanland. Some of the night stage music was beautiful but you'd barely get to hear it. He was also a little loose to control, not quite precise enough for some of the tightrope walking sections. His bosses were also better than Sonic's aside from the occasional QTEs.

Edited by Semi-colon e

Hyper Sonic would have been interesting to explore in subsequent games if it weren't for modern games having retconned a deal of the world and how the Chaos Emeralds reside in it. Them serving as convenient mcguffins sort of ruined the otherworldly mystery and us getting acquainted with them throughout three games.

Finding out that Sonic had an even more powerful form was the bomb back then and it made me personally think of all the possibilities and what it could mean, but nowadays it's not really all that. Shame perhaps, but no need to shoehorn it in these days.

• Thumbs Up 6

Sadly, the Hyper forms and Super Tails were essentially a reason for the S&K special stages to exist when both 3&K were locked on together, so they gave us the Super Emeralds. I really liked the Hidden Palace cameo thing though, where the emeralds were on the altar and you could pick your order. Every other game before and after was just "enter stage, get emerald/time stone, fuck off", with the exception of the emeralds in plot games or the Johnny races in Rush Adventure, which were nice to give Johnny some relevance but don't really make that much sense. The Hyper forms having the ability to breathe underwater is also redundant now that Super Sonic can do that as well (at least in Sonic 4 he can), and the addition of more of Sonic's moveset makes him pretty powerful anyway.

I doubt the Super Emerald forms are even canon, or even the Super Emeralds themselves, for that matter.

Edited by Semi-colon e

Anybody thinks Titan Tails should appear in the games too?

TitanTails01.png

Seriously I still don't know how that even got approved.

Edited by Dr. Homem
  • Thumbs Up 7

Great OP! Now, I am going to use this post to answer the questions:

4) I've never heard of the other forms mentioned in this question other than Hyper Sonic and "Dark Super Sonic". I don't know much about Hyper Sonic and how he is different from Super Sonic, but from what I gather it wasn't much, nor was it necessary as we have Super Sonic. As for "Dark Super Sonic" from Sonic X, there was some potential there as Sonic was really angry and looked like he was about to wreck some serious havoc. Too bad it was short lived, for seeing that temper tantrum of Sonic and possible destruction he could of caused would of been very interesting to see.

Ultra, Polar, Eco and Solar Sonic are Archie-exclusive forms.

Ultra form is attained through the absorption of many power rings or by exposure to the energies of a Super Emerald. This is the base form which is capable of altering elements and objects by manipulating their atomic structure;

300px-Ultrasonic1.png

This form also has the ability to change depending on the environment he is in.

If his surroundings are snowy/icy, he transforms into Polar Sonic. This form's abilities were never actually shown and it was depicted in only one panel.

If his surroundings are rich with plant life, he transforms into Eco Sonic. Like Polar, this form's abilities were also never shown.

If his surroundings are desert-like and dry, he transforms into Solar Sonic. Again, like the previous two, the abilities of the form were never shown.

Whilst Ultra form certainly kicked ass on the two occasions he came into existence, one must question the point of the 3 elemental-like forms considering they were one-panel showings that didn't do anything and which were never seen again.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really like Super Sonic but I think he should have different ability's

Super Sonic is just an invisibility powerup with speed shoes and a higher jump.

He could have a hover ability like Silver (but it keeps your momentum).

or Sonic could get more moves the more emeralds he has.

I would like to see a lot more forms cause Super Sonic is a bit boring after seven games

BTW, could we also discuss forms of other Sonic characters e.g. Burning Blaze?

Don't see why not :)

So anyway, non-canon/Alternate continuity Sonic forms. Why the heck not?

Hyper Sonic

Hyper_sonic.gif  Hyper_Sonic_b.gif

Hyper Sonic. Super Sonic on steroids.

Most likely intended as a cool little bonus for Sonic 3 & Knuckles owners who persevere and gain all of the Chaos Emeralds and who succeed in turning them into Super Emeralds. The only things that can kill this guy is crushing and falling into bottomless pits. Unlike Super Sonic in the Classic era, he is incapable of drowning. His fur appears to glow in all the colours of the Super Emeralds.

His first and so far only appearance was in Sonic 3 and Knuckles (1994)

His most powerful ability is a flash attack that destroys nearly any Badnik on the screen and functions similarly to a double jump.

"Dark Super Sonic" (Official name if it even has one has never been revealed)

lijj4.png

So far, this form is the only original form that ever appeared in a Sonic animation. His first and so far only appearance was in Episode 67 of Sonic X (2005)

Powered by the energy from hundreds of fake Chaos Emeralds manufactured by the Metarex. Fake Emeralds are noted by the black sheen that streaks their facets and their extreme fragility, crumbling when used to perform Chaos Control and even breaking apart just by being held firmly. Sonic accidentally landed in a pile of them when breaking and entering a Metarex base/Fake Emerald manufacturing facility in order to save Cosmo and Chris. His emotional turmoil at seeing them in captivity and under great risk of death resulted in him tapping into the power of the fakes and he takes on this malevolent-looking form.

He may have only appeared for approximately less than a minute but this guy annihilated two very tough Metarex robots made specifically to fight with him in order to gauge his speed and power in the space of less than 5 seconds spent attacking each one. When under the fullest influence of the fake Emeralds, his pupils and irises disappear and his quills stand upwards like Super Sonic's and his tan parts appear shadowed and dark. When not as "Far gone" under the influence, he looks very similar to default form including the spines except he has much darker fur, differently-shaped eyes and dark green eyes rather than the emerald/lime green of his default form.

"Dark Super Sonic" is extremely eager to fight and does not hold back. He at least appears to be mentally unstable, cackling in an incredibly unsettling tone at the prospect of ripping apart two Metarex and screaming in rage when doing this. His voice is also very dead-sounding and flat when he is not excited, possessing none of the default form's voice tone.

• Thumbs Up 6

The concepts behind the wisps seemed kind of half baked to me.  Not a lot of fun really.  

Dunno bout Darkspine.  and now we're http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQAQohS0On4.  

Don't know about anyone else, but I'd actually like more. In the true canon, I mean.

I never really considered the wisp forms as transformations though. But I guess technically, they are. They do look cool, but they are basically, floating disembodied heads. Kinda creepy, especially Violet Void and Purple Frenzy.

I guess what I really want it more storybook games. I liked seeing the supporting cast in a new role and Sonic in never before done environments. As well as how they portray Sonic. It stands to reason that if the series was to continue, then more transformations would appear.

If they ironed out all the game play issues, I reckon people might stop looking at the storybook series with such disdain. But I'm slipping off the main topic.

Whoever drew this, is a freakin' genius!

tumblr_l4h40gfV7h1qzrer9o1_500.jpg

Sawuce for you

Edited by Phos
  • Thumbs Up 1

Seeing as I grew up with the comics more than the games I've always loved STC's take on super sonic.

149677-6289-sonic_super.jpg

For anyone that doesn't know Super Sonic in the comic was just like the games, pretty much invincible, could fly etc etc. But unlike the games Sonic didn't retain his personality, Super Sonic was a demonic, evil presence, just as much a danger to Sonic's friends than he was to Robotnik,

This worked well, and I always kind of wanted them to introduce it into the games because it meant that SS couldn't simply be used as the deus ex machina he has become.

Monster too tough? Super sonic the fuck out of him......

If stc sonic went super then there was a whole new problem to contend with. I really think that could work well in the games.

• Thumbs Up 1

As has been said, beautiful OP!

I always liked transformations. They're most useful if Sonic goes against Eldritch Abominations and needs to up his skill just a notch. The alternative is he's made overpowered by default, which many already think is a problem.

I love Excalibur Sonic to bits (then again SATBK is one of my favorites...) and while I like Darkspine's concept, I think he could have looked better.

Most of the forms seem to be one game only things. With Super forms I wouldn't mind some more information being given on how Chaos energy works. While mystery's fun, I'm sure SEGA can drop a few crumbs at least.

Naturally gonna vouch for Fleetway Super's awesomeness here. He's an excellent flaw to Sonic in that continuity; while he's more than once been necessary for Sonic to win, the bad part is Sonic becomes so hot blooded he loses track of who's a friend and who's a foe. This isn't even touching upon how he raises some questions on what it means to be sentient, and where his craziness ends and evilness begins. Super Sonic in several cases has been the real hero of the Fleetway strip, ironically enough, having saved the world from a threat more than once, and during his good phase was even willing to sacrifice his sanity to protect his friends.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

Seeing as I grew up with the comics more than the games I've always loved STC's take on super sonic.

149677-6289-sonic_super.jpg

For anyone that doesn't know Super Sonic in the comic was just like the games, pretty much invincible, could fly etc etc. But unlike the games Sonic didn't retain his personality, Super Sonic was a demonic, evil presence, just as much a danger to Sonic's friends than he was to Robotnik,

This worked well, and I always kind of wanted them to introduce it into the games because it meant that SS couldn't simply be used as the deus ex machina he has become.

Monster too tough? Super sonic the fuck out of him......

If stc sonic went super then there was a whole new problem to contend with. I really think that could work well in the games.

Fleetway's destructive Super Sonic may have led to some interesting stories in the comic, but introducing such a concept in the games wouldn't work well. While in the game universe the Chaos Emeralds are power sources for any power that depend on the intention of the user - that is better illustrated in Adventure - Fleetway had them create literal chaos anytime they're used, thus the mad Super Sonic. What works in one canon may not work in another without retroactive continuity.

Besides, I find it hard to believe Sega would ever approve of Sonic acting evil in the games regardless of what caused it.

• Thumbs Up 6

Although they seemed perfectly okay with Dark Super Sonic from the cartoon series.

To be honest, I found Dark Super Sonic to be kinda...lame after StC.

What would you even do with Fleetway Super Sonic in the games? What kind of options do you have when your player character goes rogue?

Some of those designs look like Chaos 0. Otherwise, pretty good.

Are other character forms allowed to be discussed here, or is it just Sonic?