Awoo.

The Sonic forms elaboration thread

Vertekins

Completely agree with this. And like someone else mentioned, it would've been cooler if the Wisps worked more like Mario powerups.

Having a hobby of creating different forms for our blue furred friend, I decided to recreate them to be just that.

Blue Cube

cube_sonic_by_sweecrue-d5pyhvk.jpg

Green Hover

hover_sonic_by_sweecrue-d5iubcn.jpg

Pink Spikes

spike_sonic_by_sweecrue-d4latgy.jpg

Red Burst

burst_sonic_by_sweecrue-d4ku48d.jpg

Yellow Drill

drill_sonic_by_sweecrue-d4k4l15.jpg

Purple Frenzy

frenzy_sonic_by_sweecrue-d45rnxp.jpg

Cyan Laser

laser_sonic_by_sweecrue-d47611m.jpg

Orange Rocket

rocket_sonic_by_sweecrue-d3kvyh9.jpg

Violet Void

void_sonic_by_sweecrue-d3kup7e.jpg

Well, enough of honking my own horn for today...

Said it before on you DA page and I'll say it again; These designs are freaking kickass, vastly superior to the "disembodied head" design approach used for these forms in the actual game (Which I agree does look vaguely creepy)

Still, I love how they included Sonic's eyes and inner ears in his Cube form as a way of putting across morphic resonance because the cubic shape doesn't show the spine-like protrusions that the other forms have. It looks kinda cute as well XD

Nevertheless, the game does explicitly refer to them as "forms" when you select the hint marker before collecting a Wisp for the first time and they cause visible transformation which is why I lumped them all together with the other forms in the OP.

Some of those designs look like Chaos 0. Otherwise, pretty good.

Are other character forms allowed to be discussed here, or is it just Sonic?

Yep. Don't see why not.

Edited by Vertekins
  • Thumbs Up 1

What would you even do with Fleetway Super Sonic in the games? What kind of options do you have when your player character goes rogue?

Figure that out and Sega would hire you for 'innovative and outstanding levels of intelligent design never seen at Sonic Team'.

Because, lets face it, Sega haven't seen that in many time frames throughout its 3rd party existence.

Well, as long as we can talk about other Super forms, I would like to bring up this guy:

Super_Scourge.jpg

Super Scourge: The result of Scourge the Hedgehog, an altered Evil!Sonic, going Super via the Anarchy Beryl(s?).

To be honest, I don't know what to think of this super transformation. I mean, sometimes, I think it's alright, but other times... meh, it tried way too hard to make Scourge look like a threat. 

Noooooooooooooo...

Why did you have to bring that character in here? Dangit...

The fact that his frickin scars are massive deformed lumps is bad enough.

Said it before on you DA page and I'll say it again; These designs are freaking kickass, vastly superior to the "disembodied head" design approach used for these forms in the actual game (Which I agree does look vaguely creepy)

Personally I think they go a bit too far. There's some interesting designs, but I feel they lose too much "Sonic"; it's not the kind of thing I'd like to see in the games.

• Thumbs Up 8

OK, so without further ado....

Super Shadow

250px-Super_shadow_final.png

It's only fitting that the Ultimate Lifeform and Sonic's "evil" counterpart has a super form too. Debuting alongside Shadow in Sonic Adventure 2 (2001), Super Shadow is obtained whenever Shadow absorbs the energy of all 7 Chaos Emeralds. Like Super Sonic, Super Shadow posseses invincibility, improved speed, improved strength and flight. Unlike Super Sonic, however, Super Shadow has never been playable outside of final boss fights.

Shadow's natural Chaos Powers are greatly enhanced in this form, being able to use Chaos Control on a larger scale, Chaos Blast becomes even more destructive and the Chaos Spear can be fired in rapid succession, or can be charged to become 8 Chaos Lances. He can also use other Chaos moves he cannot normally. Aside from these powers, he can also perform a charge similar to Super Sonic.

Just like Super Sonic, Shadow turns yellow (though it is more gold), and he gains a yellow aura.

However, even with his amazing power, Super Shadow requires a constant supply of rings in order to sustain itself.

I do not mind Super Shadow all that much - the one problem I have is that he seems far more overpowered than he should be.

Burning Blaze

BurningBlaze.PNG

Blaze's super form is quite interesting - it isn't technically a super form at all! Blaze turns into this form upon absorbing the energy of all 7 Sol Emeralds. Debuting with Blaze in Sonic Rush (2005), Blaze could not achieve this form prior to opening her heart out to others, as the power of the Sol Emeralds (like their counterparts) relies on the emotions of the user.

The emeralds grant Blaze the traditional flight, increased speed, increased strength and invincibility. However, her Fire Boost becomes much more faster and potent, becoming the Burning Fire Boost. However, it cannot be used offensively. Nethertheless, she also has her pyrokinesis enhanced, generating the ability to generate fireballs. They can either be small and fired in rapid succession or can be charged for a more powerful fireball.

Blaze's coat turns red with a gold trim, her fur turns pink, the details on her ponytail disappear and the cuffs of her gloves and shoes turn magenta and appear to be engulfed in flames. She also gains a fiery red aura.

Like all other forms though, Blaze needs rings to remain in this form. Upon having no rings left, she will turn back to normal.

I love this form. It's a form that's rather mysterious (seeing how it's technically a Burning form and not a Super form) and it means that Blaze is the only female Sonic character to have a "super" form.

Super Silver

240px-Super_silver_final.png

Super Silver has appeared once and once only - the universally reviled Sonic the Hedgehog (2006). Upon gaining the energy of the 7 Chaos Emeralds, Silver turns into a more powerful form.

Super Silver can fly without using Psychokinesis, and is MUCH faster. His psychic abilities also increase exponentially. He also gains invincibility.

Silver's fur turns a golden-white, and his eyes turn red.

Like all forms, Silver needs rings to maintain this form.

I'll be honest, I don't like this form. I feel it's unnessecary - Silver could already fly, he could already use Psychokinesis, and there's little reason for why Silver can have this form other than "so he can fight Solaris". Given the ending of 06, and his lack of appearances since then, I wonder if Super Silver is canon anymore.

Edited by Spin Attaxx
  • Thumbs Up 2

As much as the floating heads kinda suckin my opinion, at least most of them look like sonic but then theres...

Violet-Wisp.pngcube.png

....what the hell am i playing as? Sonic are you in there?

Well, as long as we can talk about other Super forms, I would like to bring up this guy:

Super_Scourge.jpg

Super Scourge: The result of Scourge the Hedgehog, an altered Evil!Sonic, going Super via the Anarchy Beryl(s?).

To be honest, I don't know what to think of this super transformation. I mean, sometimes, I think it's alright, but other times... meh, it tried way too hard to make Scourge look like a threat. 

It's cliche (Anarchy Beryl? Evil parallel version of the emeralds?), is overpowered and the design is awful and reeks of trying too hard, much like this;

Robotnikus_Prime.jpg

It's terribad things like this that basically condone crappy recolour fancharacters and their Gary Stu-esque Super forms.

I'll tell you what the most badass super form in the history of the franchise is: Super Tails. Just think about it; the guy is so powerful that he can defeat enemies by litteraly just standing around and doing nothing. That's pretty fuckin sweet.

I'll tell you what the most badass super form in the history of the franchise is: Super Tails. Just think about it; the guy is so powerful that he can defeat enemies by litteraly just standing around and doing nothing.

That's because it was the Super Flickies that did the work for him. That lazy little fox boy... meh.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm a big fan of the Fleetway Super Sonic, but I agree that it wouldn't work in the games at all.  Except maybe as some kind of one-off...  You start off with the Chaos Emeralds, some shenanigans occur, you spend the whole game alternating between a normal state that's not equal to the specific challenges of the plot, and a Super form which is way overpowered and a liability... I think it could be done right, but it would be so difficult and so easy to get wrong that it just wouldn't be worth it.  It'd also badly risk trying too hard - trying to be cool and edgy.  Sort of like Super Scourge up there.  I kind of like him.  I assume that the way his design and personality are so badly trying too hard is part of the joke of his character - part of what makes him so annoying and detestable, that such a cheap knock-off could attain such power.  I don't read Archie, though, so I wouldn't know.  I sure hope they don't take him entirely seriously.

- What do you think of the transformation gimmick in the series?

Personally I am not a fan of the transformations (except the ones from Sonic Colors). I think that they make the game lose their essence, even Super Sonic I don't like him too much in the game because he is too strong, but it is pretty cool. 

- What do you think of the forms?

The forms looks cool, but someones are too strange to me like the werehog one, it does not make sense in my head. It is like a character from some comedy-parody game that it isn't Sonic.

- What do you think can be done to expand upon them and their gameplay and story relevance?

I think that instead of changing the form, they could create some gimmicks that don't break the Sonic Image, like differente shoes colors with different powers( for example: purple shoes invert the gravity, green shoes reduces the gravity force, yellow ones allow you to step over the rings like ground, etc ).

- What about forms not covered here from alternate Sonic continuities/Non-canon forms i.e Hyper Sonic from S3&K, Archie's Ultra/Polar/Eco/Solar Sonic, "Dark Super Sonic" from X?

IDK

And I think that you didn't talk about the most polemic form change, from fat chubby Sonic to cool teenager Sonic :V

Completely agree with this. And like someone else mentioned, it would've been cooler if the Wisps worked more like Mario powerups.

Having a hobby of creating different forms for our blue furred friend, I decided to recreate them to be just that.

Blue Cube

cube_sonic_by_sweecrue-d5pyhvk.jpg

Green Hover

hover_sonic_by_sweecrue-d5iubcn.jpg

Pink Spikes

spike_sonic_by_sweecrue-d4latgy.jpg

Red Burst

burst_sonic_by_sweecrue-d4ku48d.jpg

Yellow Drill

drill_sonic_by_sweecrue-d4k4l15.jpg

Purple Frenzy

frenzy_sonic_by_sweecrue-d45rnxp.jpg

Cyan Laser

laser_sonic_by_sweecrue-d47611m.jpg

Orange Rocket

rocket_sonic_by_sweecrue-d3kvyh9.jpg

Violet Void

void_sonic_by_sweecrue-d3kup7e.jpg

Well, enough of honking my own horn for today...

I like these, plain and simple.

• Thumbs Up 2

What would you even do with Fleetway Super Sonic in the games? What kind of options do you have when your player character goes rogue?

Well, Fleetway Super Sonic never really destroys things at random. From what I remember, he fixates on one thing/person and smashes anything that gets between him and it/them.

So in gameplay terms, nothing much would actually change. It would still be Sonic going from A to B. Perhaps including destructible environments, objects, buildings and such, to help emphasize the madness that controls him.

It has been a while since destroying public property that got in the way, was fun in a game. (In my opinion)

Blast%20Corps%20(E).jpg

I still just can't stop laughing at the idea of Dark Super Sonic. I find it far sillier and over the top as a narrative device than anything even ShtH did.

I didn't like transformations to begin with but they've kind of grown on me, it kind of fits better with fighting deities and other supernatural beings at their own kind of level without being constantly super-powerful.

Darkspine Sonic seems to be one of the rare times the Sonic series genuinely goes for 'Dark is not evil' while it's arguable Sonic has the same 'but I'm immune to it!" shtick he had in Unleashed ,  it doesn't seem quite the same. The Darkspine form was more native in it's nature, more like it was a reflection of himself and depended on him to be gained and maintained, whereas Wherehog form was the result of an evil being trying to assimilate with him and force changes on his body and phsyce.

I think I would agree that SuperSonic and super forms in general need to have some sort of downside shown more often, the need for rings could be a problem, as is the supposed tiring effect, in Sa2 Shadow presumably ran out of rings/energy causing him to fall to Earth.

Sonic is also shown to be exhausted when coming out of his Super form in Sonic Unleashed.

Edited by Mysterics

My favorite form is Hyper Sonic. I always loved the idea of something stronger than Super Sonic. If Hyper Sonic appeared in the games, as ,like, the true ending cutscene where he transforms and completely obliterates Eggman, that would be cool, no, awesome! Also, I always wondered what would happen if Hyper Sonic absorbed the Master Emerald. I now know the answer, something just as powerful, if not more powerful than God itself ( please excuse me for using your name in vain). So, yeah, just my input.

• 10 months later...

I'm pretty keen on Darkspine Sonic. I like that his personality is more violent and sinister, a trait Sonic usually doesn't have. I also like his looks, the fact that he has no mouth or eyes makes it seem even more like a more "evil" form. The way he transforms is also a bit unique, it sounds and looks like he's in pain. It's just too bad he's in one of the worst Sonic games.

Darkspine_Sonic.PNG

Great Topic by the way! 

Copypasting from SonicDude's thread.

Super Sonic was cool until they made him a final boss exclusive ability for damn near every game for almost an entire decade's worth of Sonic games. Thankfully starting with Colors they started to made him playable within the standard levels and not required for the final boss.

All of the other forms are one-offs for certain games, so I can't really speak or care much about those.

The design for Darkspine Sonic and found the concept behind it I found to be at somewhat creative than the anime stereotype horseshit that was Sonic X's Dark (Super) Sonic.

Likewise, I found Metal Sonic Kai from Knuckles's Chaotix to have a pretty neat design, compared to that...Monster of the Week thing he turned into for Sonic Heroes's final boss.

Super Tails with his Super Flickies was pretty cute, and I liked the fact that his and Knuckles's fur didn't turn yellow for their Super forms, unlike Shadow and Silver.

Super Mecha Sonic was awesome for being a Super-powered robot (something Metal Sonic hasn't done), getting it's Super form from the Master Emerald (which nobody else in the game canon has done), and was a pretty cool final boss for Sonic 3 & Knuckles. I hope we something like that again for a final boss, presumably for Metal Sonic.

Copy/pasta time!

Super Tails with his Super Flickies was pretty cute, and I liked the fact that his and Knuckles's fur didn't turn yellow for their Super forms, unlike Shadow and Silver.

Shadow used to be silver in his super form, but that was only in SA2. I don't understand why they made him gold because silver makes him unique from Sonic's super form. =/

Anyways my favourite super forms are Burning Blaze and Hyper Knuckles. Burning Blaze looks awesome and stands out from the rest since she's red instead of, you know, gold. Same goes for Hyper Knuckles. Pink is cool yo!

My least favourite super form is Super Silver just because it was pointless and he didn't look unique or have that oomph that Super Sonic has.

Copy/pasta time!

Shadow used to be silver in his super form, but that was only in SA2. I don't understand why they made him gold because silver makes him unique from Sonic's super form. =/

Anyways my favourite super forms are Burning Blaze and Hyper Knuckles. Burning Blaze looks awesome and stands out from the rest since she's red instead of, you know, gold. Same goes for Hyper Knuckles. Pink is cool yo!

My least favourite super form is Super Silver just because it was pointless and he didn't look unique or have that oomph that Super Sonic has.

Shadow didn't turn silver in SA2 in Super mode. He had a lemon yellow fur color in his Super form.

Super_Sonic_%26_Super_Shadow.jpg

Shadow didn't turn silver in SA2 in Super mode. He had a lemon yellow fur color in his Super form.

Super_Sonic_%26_Super_Shadow.jpg

Officially, he still is that silver/lemon/whatever colour, just without the metallic effect. The ridiculously OTT glowing effects in both ShTH and '06 make it impossible to tell though. The same applies to Silver being different too.

I wish they'd bring back the metallic effects. They looked really, really cool before. Same with his angry-eyes and Shadow-styles spines. It looked better than Mustard Sonic.

The metallic style I can agree with, but I always preferred the classic all six spines Standing on end style. I think it looks better on Sonic than Shadow styled, and the DBZ fanboy in me likes it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1

I do like the transformations they've given Sonic recently, but, like all of his additional normal abilities, it does kind of bug me when you consider that they could do away with them and replace with other characters!  Like, Sonic can stomp and the Drill lets him dig but...surely Knuckles could do those things?  Wisps allow Sonic to hover....like Tails...

I think some of his Wisp-power ups should just become abilities, like the Laser (sort of an advanced wall jump/homing attack deal), and the other gameplay mechanics could easily be re-tooled into Tails and Knuckles (Frenzy, Rocket).  Games could then involve switching to another character during gameplay (like in *gasp* SONIC THE HEDGEHOG, only obviously done better and less jarring to the flow of gameplay...more like Donkey Kong Country) and using their abilities to progress.  Because Sonic can now pretty much do everything all of his once-supporting characters could do, it makes them all irrelevant and makes the games less versatile, in my opinion.  But then, of course, nobody wants to play as anyone but Sonic these days, right SEGA?