Awoo.

Are there only 7 Chaos Emeralds?

Chaos Controller

Hey, everybody.

I recently had a Sonic-related debate with a very good friend of mine, and I'd like to pick your guys' brains and see what you think.

Both my friend and I are big fans of both the Sonic games and comics, which is how this discussion came about in the first place.

In the Archie comics, there are millions of Chaos Emeralds, each of which fall into the seven different colors that we know from the games - red, blue, yellow, green, white, cyan, and purple. In the games, it appears that there are only 7, each one being the aforementioned colors.

My friend insists that there are tons of emeralds that exist within the games, each falling into the different color types, and that Sonic and the gang are acquiring a new set of emeralds each game, apparently explaining why Sonic usually starts each game off with none of the emeralds in his possession.

I insist that SEGA was heavily inspired by the Dragonball series (as evidenced by Super Sonic uncannily resembling Super Saiyan Goku) and that there are only seven total Chaos Emeralds in the world of the games.

We've gone back-and-forth about this, attempting to poke holes in each others arguments. But, at the end of the day, my friend says that the games are left open-ended enough so that either theory could be acceptable.

My question is this: Is there anything within the games, or official material produced and/or sanctioned by SEGA, that would prove that there are, in fact, only 7 Emeralds total within the world of the games?

I would really like to prove him wrong, but my own personal research has proven fruitless, hehe.

Edited by Chaos Controller

No one at Sega has never said anything (or at least I don't think there is) about there being only 7 emeralds because its pretty much common Sonic knowledge that there are 7 and only 7.

Edited by Enderwoman
  • Thumbs Up 3

Its been consistent for the most part.

That and Sega forgot Sonic the Fighters ever happened.

Edited by Crow the BOOLET

If it was common knowledge amongst the characters that there's more than 7 emeralds, they wouldn't refer to them as the "7 Chaos Emeralds"

Also, Archie is irrelevant to the games. It's aspects are strictly non-canon to the canon of the games. Sonic the Fighters and it's 8 Emeralds is also not a canon game.

• Thumbs Up 6

If it was common knowledge amongst the characters that there's more than 7 emeralds, they wouldn't refer to them as the "7 Chaos Emeralds"7

Also, Archie is irrelevant to the games. It's aspects are strictly non-canon to the canon of the games. Sonic the Fighters and it's 8 Emeralds is also not a canon game.

I totally agree. His logic, however, is that since the games don't directly refute the theory of there being more than 7, that he's technically just as right as I am, as long as there's no official source to disprove what he's saying.

He says that they're referred to as "the 7 Chaos Emeralds" in relevance to the specific 7 that are the focal point in the game that they're in, at that moment.

There's 7 Chaos Emeralds because 7 is a lucky number in Japan and a lot of Eastern Asia.

He says that the 7 different colors represent that, and that the only way to tap into their full-potientional (or "go Super") is to collect one Emerald of each color.

His words, not mine.

In the Archie comics, there are millions of Chaos Emeralds, each of which fall into the seven different colors that we know from the games - red, blue, yellow, green, white, cyan, and purple.

Just throwing this out there, but thanks to a few not so current events, the Comics are down to seven chaos emeralds too. The million chaos emerald thing died off a while ago.

Not that it matters due to the comics and game canon having nothing to do with each other, but its still something people should know.

You know, it's absolutely no coincidence that all the games that don't have seven emeralds are all spinoffs, so claims to the contrary are pretty dubious based on that alone. To the best of my memory the sole exception to that is the original Sonic 1 (with six emeralds), which could just as easily be explained as Early Installment Wierdness.

Also in Spinball I always saw it as Sonic collecting the same few emeralds over and over again for whatever reason, but that's just my headcanon.

He says that the 7 different colors represent that, and that the only way to tap into their full-potientional (or "go Super") is to collect one Emerald of each color.

His words, not mine.

What are you talking about? It doesn't even coincide to what I just said.

You know, it's absolutely no coincidence that all the games that don't have seven emeralds are all spinoffs, so claims to the contrary are pretty dubious based on that alone. To the best of my memory the sole exception to that is the original Sonic 1 (with six emeralds), which could just as easily be explained as Early Installment Wierdness.

Also in Spinball I always saw it as Sonic collecting the same few emeralds over and over again for whatever reason, but that's just my headcanon.

I agree.

What are you talking about? It doesn't even coincide to what I just said.

There are 7 different-colored Chaos Emeralds, to represesnt that 7 is a lucky number. That's what he's saying.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keep it up, guys. This is great ammunition... Hehehehe. >:-)

My friend insists that there are tons of emeralds that exist within the games, each falling into the different color types, and that Sonic and the gang are acquiring a new set of emeralds each game, apparently explaining why Sonic usually starts each game off with none of the emeralds in his possession.

But that doesn't actually explain it; regardless of how many emeralds there are total, he should still have a set of seven, unless something causes him to lose them.

I totally agree. His logic, however, is that since the games don't directly refute the theory of there being more than 7, that he's technically just as right as I am, as long as there's no official source to disprove what he's saying.

If that's the kind of weaseling he's up for, you're never going to prove him wrong, because it's damn near impossible to prove a negative. Even considering word-of-god, you're not going to find anything explicitly saying there's only seven emeralds because there's never been a need to say so. But even if we can't explicitly disprove it, that doesn't mean it's equally "right"; if nothing else, unless he has a reason to prefer the many emeralds theory, he's violating Occam's Razor, and the simpler theory should be preferred.

He says that they're referred to as "the 7 Chaos Emeralds" in relevance to the specific 7 that are the focal point in the game that they're in, at that moment.

That's some seriously disingenuous shit.

About the best you can do, I think, is go with what DogTagz said about how the comics did away with their millions of emeralds, since it was an attempt to move things more in line with the games. If the games didn't run on a 7 emerald model, there wouldn't have been a reason to consolidate them in the comics.

• Thumbs Up 1

If that's the kind of weaseling he's up for, you're never going to prove him wrong, because it's damn near impossible to prove a negative. Even considering word-of-god, you're not going to find anything explicitly saying there's only seven emeralds because there's never been a need to say so. But even if we can't explicitly disprove it, that doesn't mean it's equally "right"; if nothing else, unless he has a reason to prefer the many emeralds theory, he's violating Occam's Razor, and the simpler theory should be preferred.

Honestly, I think he prefers the "Many Emeralds Theory" because he read the comics religiously, when he was younger, and the notion just really appealed to him.

Meh. At least there's a bit more reasoning to it than the "Eggman and Robotnik are different people" and "The Floating Island and Angel Island are different locations" arguements that me and my other friends used to have. Those were some frustrating times.

Honestly, I think he prefers the "Many Emeralds Theory" because he read the comics religiously, when he was younger, and the notion just really appealed to him.

Meh. At least there's a bit more reasoning to it than the "Eggman and Robotnik are different people" and "The Floating Island and Angel Island are different locations" arguements that me and my other friends used to have. Those were some frustrating times.

If he "Read the comics religiously" then why doesn't he know that the comics have only 7 emeralds as well?

If he "Read the comics religiously" then why doesn't he know that the comics have only 7 emeralds as well?

He does. He thinks Ian Flynn mistakenly changed it to 7, because  Ian perceived that as being closer to the games...

...It's a mess, I know.

EDIT: By the way, he prefers Ken Penders. Just throwing that out there.

He does. He thinks Ian Flynn mistakenly changed it to 7, because  Ian perceived that as being closer to the games...

...It's a mess, I know.

EDIT: By the way, he prefers Ken Penders. Just throwing that out there.

He prefers Ken Penders? 

Wow...

Why?

He prefers Ken Penders? 

Wow...

Why?

I seriously don't even know. He's never given me a straight answer as to why....

May I ask why your friend believes these things?

Suppose he loves coming up with crackpot theories for his most beloved video game series. Suppose he loves Ken Penders mostly for nostalgia, and enjoys a handful of his arcs still. Suppose he just loves talking about Sonic with his friends.

Could you blame him for enjoying Sonic in his own way?

I can't help but feel a bit bullied, Mr. Chaos Controller.

As for the whole Emerald debate, different people have different games they choose to ignore and accept. You can't say there are, officially, only seven when there are games that clearly show eight or "20." I doubt SEGA ever openly try to disprove this theory, or a lot of theories, really. Headcanons are an integral part of any fan.

That being said you're welcome to rip into me and prove me wrong. That's why I'm here now. You know what I love.

• Thumbs Up 2

As for the whole Emerald debate, different people have different games they choose to ignore and accept. You can't say there are, officially, only seven when there are games that clearly show eight or "20."

Cherry picking certain games and ignoring everything else doesn't make an argument any more valid, if anything it just comes off as incredibly ignorant. You're comparing the mainstream series, of which has not only an established, cement quantity but even a smattering of lore built around them, to a bunch of games in which the emeralds may or may not have been thrown in purely as an afterthought. It just doesn't work that way.

Headcanons are an integral part of any fan.

Speak for yourself.

I'd there were millions of Chaos emeralds I Personally would assume that the same colour emerald came from the sane place, like an emerald mine or something?

If this was true in the games then why didn't eggman just continuously spam these mines untill he had like 10 sets of emeralds?

Using your friends logic then eggman would either have endless energy (having collected hundreds of emeralds) or if he says you can't use them till you have all seven (which the games directy dispute considering tails and eggman both harness the power of one or two emeralds regulary) then what was the point in anyone besides sonic or eggman getting them? Heck shadow couldn't chaos control!

And in regards to Sonic 1, I think the 7th emerald wasn't known about, hence why eggman can use the power of the 6 emeralds, by sonic can't turn super (because he needs 7).

So funny thing about this, Several events in Sonic 3 can really only take place or at least make more sense with there being two sets of 7 emeralds in that game.  For example: Eggman wouldn't have been exactly lying in telling Knuckles that Sonic stole the emeralds, the Death Egg wouldn't have been able to launch if Sonic had the emeralds during Sky Sanctuary Zone, Knuckles probably wouldn't have kept working with Eggman if the Emeralds vanished again after he took them from Sonic, which implies to me that there was a set sitting in the Hidden Palace for most of the game, knuckles wouldn't have been looking to hide the entrance to the hidden palace if he thinks Sonic already knows where it is, and the Super Emeralds appear to be the result of the two sets being combined.