Awoo.

Are there only 7 Chaos Emeralds?

Chaos Controller

The super emeralds are non canon anyway. Eggman used the master emerald to power the death egg, that's why he stole it from Hidden Palace. The super emeralds were a result in the emeralds being so close to the master emerald and the hidden palace, basicLly been pumped full of energy. The emeralds only appear innthe hidden palace after collecting all seven, they are then taken away from you and you can no longer turn super.

He does. He thinks Ian Flynn mistakenly changed it to 7, because  Ian perceived that as being closer to the games...

...It's a mess, I know.

EDIT: By the way, he prefers Ken Penders. Just throwing that out there.

...Next he'll be saying that there are hundreds of other echidnas and we 'just don't happen to see them in the games'.  mellow.png

Him using Shrodinger's cat box as an argument by saying "The games don't ever explicitly state there are only seven" (except they more or less do) works both ways; where to they ever suggest for even a second that their might be more than seven?

Even if you take into account earlier inconsistencies in their colours (for example, the orange Chaos Emerald being replaced with the - IIRC- dark blue one) or there being eight in Fighters, that would account for their being more than seven, yes, but not 'more than seven, but only in seven colours'.

Regarding the Super Emeralds, I always saw it as the regular emeralds becoming the Super Emeralds. It seemed fairly obvious to me, seeing as you lose all of the emeralds at the start of Sonic & Knuckles and then have to recollect them in their 'super' form. Which they then of course just resized once they got round to Sonic Adventure. 

Of course, that said, the whole Super Emeralds/ Hyper Sonic mess was basically little more than a means of preventing the player from having Super Sonic for the majority of the game and to still give the S&K special stages some meaning.

Edited by -Mark-
  • Thumbs Up 1

^ His friend said that whenever they refer to "the seven emeralds", they're talking about the set that appear in that game.

But it seems like he sticks his fingers in his ears and says LALALALALA SORRY CAN'T HEAR YOU THERE ARE MORE THAN 7 EMERALDS whenever met with a point that refutes his theory.

I suppose he also believes in the "Blaze went to the Sol Dimension from Sonic 06" theory too?

Edited by Spin Attaxx

Ughhh, so you're friend is one of THOSE people, huh? The kind to disregard Sonic's creators over a chubby American comic book writer.

Regarding the Super Emeralds, I always saw it as the regular emeralds becoming the Super Emeralds. It seemed fairly obvious to me, seeing as you lose all of the emeralds at the start of Sonic & Knuckles and then have to recollect them in their 'super' form. Which they then of course just resized once they got round to Sonic Adventure. 

That's what it's supposed to be, that whole game established a story and involved the regular emeralds becoming the Chaos Emeralds we know (with one receiving a change in colour because somebody didn't like orange). The emeralds are all shown to be able to resize and what not whenever they're summoned along with the Master Emerald being capable of this.

• Thumbs Up 1

^ His friend said that whenever they refer to "the seven emeralds", they're talking about the set that appear in that game.

But it seems like he sticks his fingers in his ears and says LALALALALA SORRY CAN'T HEAR YOU THERE ARE MORE THAN 7 EMERALDS whenever met with a point that refutes his theory.

I suppose he also believes in the "Blaze went to the Sol Dimension from Sonic 06" theory too?

In that case I'd basically ignore him and stop trying to reason with him. He's a stubborn idiot who believes what he wants to believe and won't listen to reason - worse, denies irrefutable reason when it's put in front of him :P

As Mogtaki said, if he's one of 'those' people, you're wasting your time.

Yes.... Hehehehe. YES! A legion of Sonic fans descend upon you, Sholz! GET HIM!

(If it isn't already abundantly obvious, Sholz is the friend I've been referring to this whole time. Looks like I convinced him into joining. Be nice to him, please.)

Well, if they are joining then good luck to them if they want to open those opinions up on this forum, because those opinions are dangerous on a forum where we take the canon to heart and keep our hatred for Penders pretty clear to everyone.

If they don't, then good for them for showing restraint because this topic doesn't seem to be getting through to them and appears to be a pointless thread that might end up being closed due to lack of debate. We don't take kindly to people who refuse other people's opinions. Just a warning that these forums are a lot tougher than SEGA forums.

There are 7 emeralds but it's easy to see why someone would think there are multiples given how completely messed up they are in the games,sometimes they're lying around, sometimes in special stages, sonic has them all one minute then none the next.

But yeah, it's all but 100% certain that there's 7.

In Sonic one we can assume Sonic just doesn't get all the emeralds, as for sonic the fighters, I've never understood why people say it's non canon because there's 8 emeralds, one of the fighters you take on is a clone so wouldn't it be fair to assume the emerald is a clone too? Tails makes fake emeralds in SA2 so why is it not considered to be something like that?

• Thumbs Up 2

In Sonic one we can assume Sonic just doesn't get all the emeralds, as for sonic the fighters, I've never understood why people say it's non canon because there's 8 emeralds, one of the fighters you take on is a clone so wouldn't it be fair to assume the emerald is a clone too? Tails makes fake emeralds in SA2 so why is it not considered to be something like that?

I can definitely see the extra emerald being the one that the person who was cloned was holding onto at the time, so the emerald got cloned too.

Well, if they are joining then good luck to them if they want to open those opinions up on this forum, because those opinions are dangerous on a forum where we take the canon to heart and keep our hatred for Penders pretty clear to everyone.

If they don't, then good for them for showing restraint because this topic doesn't seem to be getting through to them and appears to be a pointless thread that might end up being closed due to lack of debate. We don't take kindly to people who refuse other people's opinions. Just a warning that these forums are a lot tougher than SEGA forums.

He already did join. He commented on this thread, too. His name is Sholz.

I take Sonic seriously as well. But, let's all be honest with ourselves here. The canon of the games is extremely slippery, to say the least. I, for one, welcome out-of-the-box theories that people have to offer. It makes for interesting discussions, such as this one, and makes me think.

I may not agree with him on this, but I welcome his imaginative spirit. He never once forced his opinion on me or was a jerk about it. And, I gotta admit, it's a little astounding to see some of you guys call him names over the whole thing. Perhaps I should've made it clear in the original post that he wasn't an asshole...?

Edited by Chaos Controller

I think the fact that he likes Penders is where we all start backing off and going 'wtfwhy', the one guy who wants to butcher a comic series and sue SEGA for thinking they 'stole ideas' from him.

But that's neither here nor there...rather, it's in the Archie Sonic topic.

I think the fact that he likes Penders is where we all start backing off and going 'wtfwhy', the one guy who wants to butcher a comic series and sue SEGA for thinking they 'stole ideas' from him.

But that's neither here nor there...rather, it's in the Archie Sonic topic.

Well, he likes Penders stories, not Penders as a person.

Wasn't the only reason there were loads and loads of Chaos Emeralds in Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog because there are loads of different versions of Sonic's world within the comic?

You know, it's absolutely no coincidence that all the games that don't have seven emeralds are all spinoffs, so claims to the contrary are pretty dubious based on that alone. To the best of my memory the sole exception to that is the original Sonic 1 (with six emeralds), which could just as easily be explained as Early Installment Wierdness.

Also in Spinball I always saw it as Sonic collecting the same few emeralds over and over again for whatever reason, but that's just my headcanon.

As ridiculous as it is, the Sonic Bible says that there are 7, and that one is missing, which doesn't seem like a coincidence or one of the many things it pulled out it's backside(or maybe it was the latter, and the later games incorporated that part).

Edited by Mysterics

The problem with Archie is they went off on such a strange tangent that SEGA are only just now trying to pull it back together and follow their continuity a little more, so yes...their number of emeralds was a little sceewiff.

Well, he likes Penders stories, not Penders as a person.

Phew, thankfully that's not as bad.

However, gotta be prepared to take in other opinions though, they must. Yes. Especially if theirs has been wrong the entire time.

What's so hard to believe about that?

What's so hard to believe about that?

It doesn't make any sense. It doesn't make any sense for Blaze to become a princess in a dimension she was randomly sent to, it doesn't make sense that she has no memory of Sonic in Rush despite seeing him in '06, it doesn't make sense that there isn't still a fire demon struggling to get out of her.

• Thumbs Up 3

The facts: Currently the canon states that there are and only have been 7 Chaos Emeralds, this began in Sonic Adventure with a retcon Before Sonic Adventure, there were an unknown number of Chaos Emeralds (which is why the comics were running with so many for so long) - there were the original 6 from South Island (Sonic 1), 7 from Westside Island (Sonic 2) which were brought to Angel Island (in Sonic 3), Angel Island had its own set of 7 Emeralds that were destroyed by the Death Egg crash (Sonic 3), Flicky Island had its own 7 (Sonic 3D), etc - but like I said this was retcon'd from the continuity to just 7 Emeralds

It doesn't make any sense. It doesn't make any sense for Blaze to become a princess in a dimension she was randomly sent to, it doesn't make sense that she has no memory of Sonic in Rush despite seeing him in '06, it doesn't make sense that there isn't still a fire demon struggling to get out of her.

Not to mention whats-his-face officially dismissed Blaze from Sonic 06 because she was too out of place.

• Thumbs Up 1

The super emeralds are non canon anyway. Eggman used the master emerald to power the death egg, that's why he stole it from Hidden Palace. The super emeralds were a result in the emeralds being so close to the master emerald and the hidden palace, basicLly been pumped full of energy. The emeralds only appear innthe hidden palace after collecting all seven, they are then taken away from you and you can no longer turn super.

Oh yeah, I meant Launch Base Zone.  I'm not sure how it's meant to be launched in Launch Base Zone if not for there being two sets of emeralds in this game.  That giant emerald doesn't seem to be able to float the island on its own in this game, but it's presumably there until Robotnik steals it during Hidden palace Zone.  

What proof is there that those islands all had different sets of emeralds?

The backstories tend to imply that the emeralds appearing in that particular game are native to the island that game takes place on, I dunno if it's a translation quirk or what.  

The island having it's own set of emeralds seems to be Early Installment Weirdness to me.