Awoo.

Are there only 7 Chaos Emeralds?

Chaos Controller

Maybe the chaos emerald don't disputed because they have been messed with multiple times over 21 years! :P

Eggman maybe can't be bothered with the master emerald, at least with the chaos emeralds no one would know he was collecting them untill they either see him do so or he reveals it.

But yes, I do like your thinking, bravo my good man :)

Since he and the Super Emeralds stopped appearing and when Iizuka officialy said Super Tails was a "one-time thing" - implying he and everything related to the Super Emeralds were non-canon.

Not trying to disprove you here, but could I get some source on this? Just for peace of mind; because that is very sad news if it's true.

The power isn't infinite if Unleashed is cannon which I don't see why it wouldn't be.

It depends on in what sense it's infinite. The way I interpret it, the emeralds don't give out infinite power instantly, but they can give out enormous amounts of power for a theoretically infinite amount of time. Though I consider Unleashed a special case where the emeralds were sort of "broken".

1) The special stages. Okay so in several of the games this is how you get Emeralds, yes? But what are the special stages exactly? Alternate worlds? Or maybe a space in between dimensions? Who knows. Anyhow, you get Emeralds there yes?  Buuuuuut what about the Emeralds you see in the Adventure games and the Shadow game that are just hanging around in the real world? How did those get there?

They fell out. Portals go both ways, and the emeralds have a knack for showing up when they're needed.

Shadow carries around the Green Emerald on his person. This we know.

From what? He tends to have the green emerald, when he has one. But I can't think of anything that says he is always hanging on to it, nor any evidence that it's separate from the seven that Sonic typically collects.

3) Super Sonic. So Sonic collects the Emeralds in the majority of his games. So why is it he never seems to have them at the start of his next adventure? Well, some can say "it's because they separate like the dragons balls from him after he turns back from being Super." Do they? Perhaps my memories rusty but the only game I saw where they truly separated from him after he turned back was SSBB, and that certainly isn't cannon. Also it that were the case then you'd only be able to turn Super Sonic ONCE after collecting all the Emeralds in every game. So all those levels you play as Super Sonic, yeah, not possible.

Canonically, I'm pretty sure he only ever does turn Super once per collecting-of-emeralds, with one exception. Using Super Sonic in levels doesn't count; it's entirely optional, and not supported by any canonical scene that I know of. The one exception that I can think of is the end of Sonic 2 and the start of S3&K; he goes Super while falling from the Death Egg, depowers until S3&K, then goes Super on his way to the island. Personally I say that they have a tendency to separate, especially after being used, but it's not a guarantee. Sonic, I would imagine, isn't particularly bothered by them separating.

So what does this all mean? My theory: perhaps the emeralds are little more than receptacles to hold massive amounts of energy. That's why you had to recharge them in Unleashed, they just ran out.

What about SA, then? Chaos drains them, but Sonic still uses them to go Super. They have to have some function beyond simply being containers.

It's also explains how Tails made a copy of the yellow one.

Treating them as batteries isn't necessary to explain this. They just need to be understandable and replicable by ~*fantasy science*~.

I was wrong - he said that at Summer of Sonic 2012, not Sonic Boom.

Quote from SEGA Forums:

Hey guys! I'm back from Summer of Sonic...

At the end of the interview, I was the one who asked the last question. I
asked Takashi Iizuka for why there was no Super Tails in Sonic 4
Episode 2 and he said that it was a "one-time thing only for Sonic 3
& Knuckles" frown.png

Not the best source but it'll do for now. Besides, when Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles were one game, there were only the 7 Chaos Emeralds. The Super Emeralds were added as a way to implement the S&K Special Stages into the game.

Edited by Spin Attaxx

There's only seven Chaos Emeralds. I think similarly to DBZ the emeralds spread out across the world after Sonic uses them which is why in each new Adventure they have to continuously relocate them. Yuji Naka was a huge DBZ fan and Super Sonic and the seven chaos emeralds were greatly inspired off of that Anime. I think in Adventure 1 and in several other games throughout the characters conversations they refer to the emeralds as being the only set of seven that they know of. There's never been an instance in the games where they make it sound like there could be more than that. I'd take the Archie comics with a grain of salt when it comes to the Chaos Emeralds only because the Archie comics, and any other comics for that matter are not canon to the game Universe and are a completely separate entity.

There's only seven Chaos Emeralds. I think similarly to DBZ the emeralds spread out across the world after Sonic uses them which is why in each new Adventure they have to continuously relocate them. Yuji Naka was a huge DBZ fan and Super Sonic and the seven chaos emeralds were greatly inspired off of that Anime. I think in Adventure 1 and in several other games throughout the characters conversations they refer to the emeralds as being the only set of seven that they know of. There's never been an instance in the games where they make it sound like there could be more than that. I'd take the Archie comics with a grain of salt when it comes to the Chaos Emeralds only because the Archie comics, and any other comics for that matter are not canon to the game Universe and are a completely separate entity.

I certainly agree with you that there are only seven and that Yuji Naka was inspired by DBZ, when he created them. But, I don't think they seperate after he uses them.

I point to the fact that Sonic has the Emeralds at the beginning of Sonic 3 and Sonic Unleashed. You could argue that Unleased's beginning takes place at the end of one of Sonic's other many adventures. But, Sonic 3 definitely takes place shortly after Sonic 2.

Edited by Chaos Controller

I point to the fact that Sonic has the Emeralds at the beginning of Sonic 3 and Sonic Unleashed. You could argue that Unleased's beginning takes place at the end of one of Sonic's other many adventures. But, Sonic 3 definitely takes place shortly after Sonic 2.

Re: Unleashed; not just "can argue", that's literally the case. Unleashed's start is the end of some unseen adventure.

But if the emeralds don't separate, why does Sonic not have them at the start of practically every other game in the series? They've left his possession for some reason.

Re: Unleashed; not just "can argue", that's literally the case. Unleashed's start is the end of some unseen adventure.

But if the emeralds don't separate, why does Sonic not have them at the start of practically every other game in the series? They've left his possession for some reason.

I meant "argue" in that you could say that they haven't seperated yet, due to Sonic having not yet used them, since this is the end of his adventure. Bad wording on my end.

Perhaps Sonic relinquishes them on his own. Maybe he doesn't feel like he should be keeping such a great amount of power to himself.

Edited by Chaos Controller

I just always thought once the emeralds we're collected and used, they would spread around the world (similiar to DBZ) I don't think there's millions of emeralds mostly because if there was they would be different colors. If there was millions of emeralds, then Sonic could go Super anytime he want.

There has to be more than 7.

We all remember Elise and her emerald...

No. NONONONONONONONO. 

Why do people keep bringing this up?

WHY ARE YOU NOT GETTING THIS! 

Silver took the blue emerald back in time. He made a duplicate because that's what happens when you take something back in time. Otherwise, when Shadow went back in time he'd be back in his pod. 

That's not really a duplicate, that's just something from the future going back to an earlier point in time. So then that means Shadow from the future is doing whatever while the Shadow existing in the past is still on Prison Island. It's the same Shadow, just from a different point in time. Two aren't made.

Except you're wrong. Because then there are two Shadows.

One who has been in a capsule since the Ark Disaster and one who traveled back in time. The Time Traveling Shadow could go to GUN's base and see himself in the pod.

That's not spontaneously generating another Shadow, that's just the same Shadow that's sealed in the pod, just from a later point in time.

Listen: time travel is NOT creating two Shadows - there is only ONE Shadow that ever exists - the Shadow from the future that travels to the past is the future varient of the Shadow that's still on Prison Island at the time. If the Shadow from the future went to Prison Island, he wouldn''t see another Shadow, he'd be seeing himself at an earlier point in time.

It's like in Generations: there are not two Sonics - it's just present day Sonic meeting his past self.

Edited by Spin Attaxx

If you have one thing.

And then another thing.

You have two things.

Maths 101. 

It doesn't matter where they come from, there is now two of them, and then when Shadow goes back home there is then one of them again.

You seem to be talking like the Shadows aren't one and the same, just from different points in time, but like they're two seperate entities.

Besides, the game (mostly) retconned itself out of existance, so why are we still discussing this?

Edited by Spin Attaxx

...except not really, Shadow from the future and shadow from the past are the same shadow, like classic sonic and modern sonic are the same sonic, it's not a duplicate, another one isn't made, it's having one thing from two different time frames and bringing them to the same time.

It'd be like getting you as a child and you as your are now together, there is no duplicate, you are one person, the only difference is that you would recognise yourself as a child and child you wouldn't recognise you as him as an adult

Anyone watch the triology of 'back to the future?' In parts of the triology, there was more than one 'marty mcfly'. I think that's the name...

They were the same person, but they were from different time periods. I'm sure the same concept can apply to Shadow and other things.

Time travel is such a tricky subject.

Edited by DarkDefeater

The chaos emeralds don't seperate after being by Sonic and Dr.Eggam in Sonic Unleashed so at least they don't necciarily repel each other after use, I suppose if Dr.Eggman left them alone they might have done.

But I honestly think the Chaos Emeralds are 'lost' in almost every game do pretty much just plot convenience, though I don't think Sonic would just keep them to himself.

That and the Chaos Emeralds almost literally do whatever they feel like doing,they arn't so named for no reason, I wouldn't put dissapearance under certain circumstances out of the question, for all we know those things are sentient.

Edited by Mysterics

Pretty much; Super Sonic/Super Saiyan, Trunks/Silver, Sol Emeralds/Black Star Dragon Balls, Vegeta/Shadow.

But...the Sonic Universe does its own thing regarding what it was inspired from. Sonic can only transform with all 7 Chaos Emeralds...unlike the Super Saiyans who don't need the Dragon Balls. The antagonist is always Robotnik, unlike DB's many antagonists...although Dr.Gero was probably inspired to make Robotnik as well as Metal Sonic being one of the Androids with Terminator undertones.

I personally think that despite these influences, Sonic was purely made for the sake of saving people/animals against one man who's intent of taking over something. I think everything is inspired over something else though....and usually take it to a whole other level.