Awoo.

Are there only 7 Chaos Emeralds?

Chaos Controller

IIRC, Eggman predated Gero by at least a year or two. And Metal Sonic's not meant to be based on the Androids, he's meant to be your typical "evil robot me" character.

There's really only two (maybe three) references to DragonBall Z in Sonic. 

Super Sonic/Super Saiyan

Yes.

Trunks/Silver

Well to be fair, DragonBall Z didn't exactly create the idea of a time traveler going to the past to change the future. Given that there are a few other references to DragonBall this may be likely.

Sol Emeralds/Black Star Dragon Balls

In what way are these two related?

Vegeta/Shadow.

Except that the idea of a generally good (but sometimes nasty) character has existed for Centuries before Toriyama was even born. King Arthur's lance wielding, sociopathic, right hand man Kay was that kind of character. 

Dr.Gero was probably inspired to make Robotnik

Dr. Gero didn't appear in the comic till early '92 (February-March)/

as well as Metal Sonic being one of the Androids with Terminator undertones.

Eeeh, Metal Sonic's a fairly generic mirror counterpart that has been countless times before. As for the Terminator thing...as far as I can remember that was only really apparent in the British comic.

Seriously, other than Super Sonic and there being seven Chaos Emeralds (and at a stretch: Silver) DragonBall isn't that influential when it comes to Sonic.

Well to be fair, DragonBall Z didn't exactly create the idea of a time traveler going to the past to change the future. Given that there are a few other references to DragonBall this may be likely.

When '06's script was leaked, Silver's character profile literally said he was basically Trunks.
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, everybody.

I recently had a Sonic-related debate with a very good friend of mine, and I'd like to pick your guys' brains and see what you think.

Both my friend and I are big fans of both the Sonic games and comics, which is how this discussion came about in the first place.

In the Archie comics, there are millions of Chaos Emeralds, each of which fall into the seven different colors that we know from the games - red, blue, yellow, green, white, cyan, and purple. In the games, it appears that there are only 7, each one being the aforementioned colors.

My friend insists that there are tons of emeralds that exist within the games, each falling into the different color types, and that Sonic and the gang are acquiring a new set of emeralds each game, apparently explaining why Sonic usually starts each game off with none of the emeralds in his possession.

I insist that SEGA was heavily inspired by the Dragonball series (as evidenced by Super Sonic uncannily resembling Super Saiyan Goku) and that there are only seven total Chaos Emeralds in the world of the games.

We've gone back-and-forth about this, attempting to poke holes in each others arguments. But, at the end of the day, my friend says that the games are left open-ended enough so that either theory could be acceptable.

My question is this: Is there anything within the games, or official material produced and/or sanctioned by SEGA, that would prove that there are, in fact, only 7 Emeralds total within the world of the games?

I would really like to prove him wrong, but my own personal research has proven fruitless, hehe.

Well, I think of it as the Comics and Games are 2 separate worlds. 

(If you read the STH Comics, you'll hear them mention the "Prime" Zone and such.)

There was actually a comic that came out 2 years ago (maybe?) that was the final issue of Sonic X (Comic).

If you pay attention to the Sonic Comics (STH, Sonic X, and Sonic Universe), you'll see that in one of the Sonic Universe issues -

(NOTE: I'm heavily paraphrasing)

- that Shadow is fighting Metal Sonic with some kind of high tech Zone transportation device, and I think it lets Metal Sonic (for some reason) travel to different dimensions. Something happens in the Sonic Universe comic, and Metal Sonic's Zone transporting device makes him go to the Sonic X universe, Shadow follows him using his Chaos Control. (Note that in the Sonic X Comics, Shadow "died" form the Space Colony ARK event)

When they arrive to the Sonic X universe, they end up in the middle of Cream and Sonic's Tea Party, Metal Sonic flys off and Sonic is wondering where the hell Shadow came from since he was dead (in the Sonic X universe). 

Shadow and Sonic begin talking, Shadow states that he's not from their world, but from a different dimension (Or Zone, whatever the hell you wanna call it), and I guess that's how Sonic figures out why Shadow's not dead. Sonic tells him "in this world, you're actually dead", it's pretty funny because of Shadow's reaction.

Anyways, if you watched Sonic X, you'll see that Chris had a connection with Shadow, Sonic shows Shadow to Chris, he cries, life goes on xD

Now, back on to Topic. Shadow eventually finds Metal Sonic again, and they end up warping to the STH universe, they fight for a little bit there, and eventually they end up back in Sonic Universe.

*Remember, this is all heavily paraphrased.

Since I said all this, I'm explaining that there are probably about 5 Sonic Universes, Games - Canon (1) & Non-Canon (2), STH (3), Sonic X (4), and Sonic Universe (5). Maybe a 6th one I'd be forgetting?

So that being, the STH Comics had an enormous load of Chaos Emeralds, but in one Comic, Turbo Tails and Super Shadow used Chaos Control to open a portal to some zone where some big Panda dude put the colors together to form just 7 Emeralds. 

(Facts ^)

So, either way you go, the games and Comics have 7 Chaos Emeralds. 

Although the STH Comic had a load at a time, it now has 7.

Goodness, took like half an hour to type all of this xD

When '06's script was leaked, Silver's character profile literally said he was basically Trunks.

This might be psychosomatic (seeing as I too think that his description suggests he's a reference!) but even Silver's voice reminds me of Trunks!

Edited by MamboCat

Great paraphrasing there! :)

But aren't StH and Sonic Universe the same continuity/dimension/Zone? Just showing different parts?

But either which way EVERY continuity now has ONLY 7 emeralds

I've heard the term "All seven chaos emeralds" used before. Now, I know this seems overly simplistic, but all implies, well, there's no more. From a practical perspective, Eggman would surely have assembled some if they were more numerous.

However.

There's still the possibility of other emeralds on other worlds. Since the series stays on Earth and its orbit, though, who knows?

Though Black Doom came to Earth specifically to get the Emeralds. While we don't know exactly where the Black Arms originate from, it's safe to say they've been to quite a few places in the universe, so even from a cosmic perspective emeralds aren't that common.

Great paraphrasing there! smile.png

But aren't StH and Sonic Universe the same continuity/dimension/Zone? Just showing different parts?

But either which way EVERY continuity now has ONLY 7 emeralds

Thanks!

I'm really not too sure about that though, I quit reading the comics when they started getting boring xD

Right! That's what I said, isn't it? 

• 2 years later...

Takashi Iizuka stated at sonic boom 2013 that as of sonic adventure they "went back and just sort of cleaned up" reducing the number of chaos emeralds. so 7 emeralds. as for them disappear from sonic's hands, despite plot device, he doesn't seem the type to hold onto power, prefers to do his own thing, and only uses them when Eggman, or [insert antagonist here] has one last trick up their sleeve. as to why the chaos emeralds separate tails says it best "the chaos emeralds have the ability to attract and repel one another" (paraphrased, SA2 i think) also the chaos emeralds are thoughts/emotions turned to energy, essentially, chaos adsorbs the negative thoughts/emotions from emeralds in SA. the only known ways of "recharging" them is though peoples' thoughts (SA), the Gaia Temples (SU) or simply returning the energy. an artificial chaos emerald, of the same wavelength, can be created but is considerably weaker then normal chaos emeralds. a multi dimension theory of each dimension having its own set may be possible due to SRush 1 & 2, but those are sol emeralds and as stated in said games if the sol or chaos emeralds were left in the same world together it would either result in the worlds fusing together and destroy them as result. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/25/2013 at 0:29 PM, Diogenes said:
On 2/25/2013 at 0:24 PM, The Conductor said:

Even though he's...not?

Their perception of Trunks can be wrong. Trunks borrows more from Kyle Reese than Silver does from Trunks. If their idea of basically Trunks is "guy who travels through time" instead of "wuxia Kyle Reese who becomes friends with T2 John Connor and has daddy issues while fighting Terminators", Trunks really might as well have not been an influence and you still would've gotten the same character. 

It's not like it would've been hard to have a horrible robot future in a platformer series dedicated entirely to fighting robots.

• Thumbs Up 1

About multiples through time travel: this is why such instances are usually known as "time paradoxes."

I could definately see why people think Silver = Trunks, even through Silver is no were as cool as Trunks is.