Awoo.

The North Korea Thread: Threats, Propaganda and a brewing Holocaust

Autosaver

Chaos bit off topic but what are your thoughts on Iran having a Nuclear Capability,

I'm not as worried about it, because their Supreme Leader isn't likely to launch nukes despite all the talk of their figurehead president wanting to do something like wipe Israel of the map. The Ayatollah is smart enough to know that that would cause more problems if he did.

Doesn't help that we're being somewhat antagonistic in the Middle East, and our relations there is a bit on off.

the situation in Syria and the extremest insurgencies in Thailand and Africa?   

I don't know enough about Syria other than the civil war and Gaddafi, and I have even less knowledge about what's going on in Thailand and Africa so I can't say anything about them.

Err...Gaddafi was the one from Lybia...The one from Syria is Bashar Al-Assad

Oh, well nevermind. I have no idea about Syria. ^__^;

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/9960933/North-Korea-plan-to-attack-US-mainland-revealed-in-photographs.html

So, uh.

The photos appeared in the state-run Rodong newspaper and were apparently taken at an "emergency meeting" early on Friday morning. They show Kim signing the order for North Korea's strategic rocket forces to be on standby to fire at US targets, the paper said, with large-scale maps and diagrams in the background.

north-korea-jong-m_2522857c.jpg

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un ordered strategic rocket forces to be on standby to strike US and South Korean targets at any time (EPA)

The images show a chart marked "US mainland strike plan" and missile trajectories that the NK News web site estimates terminate in Hawaii, Washington DC, Los Angeles and Austin, Texas.

north-korea-map-6_2522947c.jpg

The text on the map, which shows the west coast of North America, says “Plan to hit the U.S. mainland”

The meeting of the Pyongyang's senior military leaders was called after two US B2 bombers, flying out of bases in Missouri, carried out simulated bombing raids on North Korean targets on an island off the coast of South Korea.

"He finally signed the plan on technical preparations of strategic rockets, ordering them to be on standby to fire so that they may strike any time the US mainland, its military bases in the operational theatres in the Pacific, including Hawaii and Guam, and those in South Korea," the state-run KCNA news agency reported.

jong-korea-stealth_2521823c.jpg

A U.S. airforce B-2 Spirit stealth bomber flies over Pyeongtaek, south of Seoul, South Korea

It added that the B2 test flights demonstrated Washington's "hostile intent" and said the "reckless" act had gone "beyond the phase of threat and blackmail."

The North's military was placed on its highest alert level earlier this week and a hotline link with the South Korean military was severed.

North Korea has also cut the mobile Internet link for foreign visitors, only weeks after the 3G service was introduced.

Anyone... actually worried about this? I know NK is pretty puny and underdeveloped, and we'd probably wipe them off the map (I don't think that's wise, considering there are many people under oppression who don't deserve it) but if China does back NK, that's... not really good news.

North Korea may have cut all of its military hotlines with the South, but it has left open a place where trade can take place on the border between the two countries, which apparently generates around $2bn for the NK economy each year. This would probably be closed off entirely if war was actually imminent... wouldn't it? Or would they leave it open right up until the eve of war?

I dunno... it's all very worrying, it looks bad, but at the same time I just can't shake the feeling that this is just Kim Jong-un's way of cementing his position as top dog among the military elite of his country, and that international relations will normalize over the next 5 years or so after a few more saber rattles and perhaps another artillery barrage aimed at disputed islands. Of course, even if that's Kim Jong-un's plan, the chances of the Korean Cold War turning Hot at this point, even over a simple misunderstanding, are higher than I think at any point since the 1953 Armistice was signed, and we all know how plans seldom stay intact once they come into contact with reality, and all its complicated messiness.

Do you know that a few weeks back the Russian's flew some bombers over Guam where the US has a large air military base? 

http://www.guampdn.com/article/20130217/NEWS01/302170318/Russian-bombers-intercepted

Going around Guam specifically is unusual, but Russia spent pretty much the entirety of the Cold War trolling NATO airspace with the Bear; and Putin resumed those patrols quite a few years ago. Don't really think it's directly relevant outside of a "what are you gonna do about it" kinda thing.

Anyone... actually worried about this?

Not really. North Korea doesn't have anything that can threaten the US at all. Other than the ground army and slow firing traditional artillery, they don't even have much to threaten South Korea with.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/9960933/North-Korea-plan-to-attack-US-mainland-revealed-in-photographs.html

So, uh.

Anyone... actually worried about this? I know NK is pretty puny and underdeveloped, and we'd probably wipe them off the map (I don't think that's wise, considering there are many people under oppression who don't deserve it) but if China does back NK, that's... not really good news.

So just in case...the words that can be seen in the first pic are

공군: Air Force

항공 군: Aviation group (3 something)

비행련 대: Flight training vs. (9 something)

I can't find the right symbols to see what those next to the numbers mean.

The second pic can wait since I have to go to work shortly

K, so how long until their missiles fly?

They about to shoot themselves in the foot. China is telling them to stop, and they're not listening. I'm eager to see this regime put down ASAP with all it's war talk.

Going around Guam specifically is unusual, but Russia spent pretty much the entirety of the Cold War trolling NATO airspace with the Bear; and Putin resumed those patrols quite a few years ago. Don't really think it's directly relevant outside of a "what are you gonna do about it" kinda thing.

Yeah I just thought I mention it though because of how unusual it is especially seeing as they used bombers that use propellers and are 61 years old. smile.png

The island dispute between China and Japan worries me especially with the situation in North Korea with China organizing its military along their coast.

I personally would take the North seriously I know its hard because of their terrible propaganda videos and the bullshit the North Korean government tell their people but if they have the opportunity to strike they will.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/russia-warns-against-military-activity-near-north-korea-095515792.html

Speak for yourself Russia flexing your military muscles in the Black Sea though that is probably more related to the situation in Syria than North Korea.

Welp, what's going on now?

@SkyNewsBreak: KCNA: North Korea says it has entered a "state of war" against South Korea

Cold war turned hot, or just a load of hot air? We shall soon see.

Personally, I think Kim Jong-un has been playing a bit too much Homefront and needs to settle down with a big bowl of strawberry icecream and a DVD of Boys Over Flowers.

Edit:

State media: North Korea in 'state of war' with South, threatens to 'dissolve' U.S.

(CNN) -- North Korea has entered a "state of war" with neighboring South Korea, according to a report Saturday from the state-run Korean Central News Agency that included a threat to "dissolve" the U.S. mainland.

"Any issues regarding North and South will be treated in accordance to the state of war," the report said. "... The condition, which was neither war nor peace, has ended."

North Korea and South Korea technically remain at war since their conflict between 1950 and 1953 ended with an armistice and not a peace treaty. On March 11, the North Korean army declared the armistice agreement invalid.

This report represented Pyongyang's latest salvo aimed at South Korea and its ally the United States. Tensions in the area have been ratcheting up for months, with North Korea remaining defiant and, in some opinions, belligerent in the face of international efforts to halt its nuclear program.

Saturday's report included a direct threat to the United States, while also asserting Pyongyang "will not limit (itself) to limited warfare but to all-out war and nuclear war."

"We will first target and dissolve mainland United States, Hawaii and Guam, and United States military based in South Korea. And the (South Korean presidential office) will be burned to the ground," the KCNA report said.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/29/world/asia/north-korea-us-threats/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQkaD6fG8mk

Well, China...looks like the DPRK's ass is ours now.

Launch those Missiles Kimmy! It's time for a good ol "America, Fuck Yeah!" ass whooping.

Why do people want North Korea to attack? I don't understand the Dirty Harry "make my day" mentality at all.

If war broke out it would be horrible. And "America, fuck yeah!" sentiment is easy to have when we aren't the ones dying. Just bombing the shit out of dirt poor civilians.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm trying to think of what would happen if NK actually launched a missile at the United States. It would probably be a relatively weak missile considering their outdated tech and incompetent engineering, but wouldn't it still be able to cause destruction and death in a small area? I mean if NK wants to piss off the world's largest military superpower then that's their problem, but in doing so would innocent people not be killed in the initial strike by NK? Or does the US have active missile defense systems that would prevent it from even getting into the country? Sorry, I don't know how any of this works :P

Figure 10 minutes before the South Korean air force gets all of their planes up in an invasion scenario, so that's how long the South Korean army has to hold North Korea at the DMZ. After that, North Korea would have about an hour to shell whatever targets they want in South Korea with their 60's launch platforms, with 2-3 shells per minute. They would do a lot of physical damage, but the death toll probably wouldn't be as high as if it happened in any other major city. Then North Korea's artillery would cease to exist (as would most of their military installations in general), and all that would be left is the ground forces. And even then would just be the infantry, because their vehicles would be gone too.

I'm trying to think of what would happen if NK actually launched a missile at the United States. It would probably be a relatively weak missile considering their outdated tech and incompetent engineering, but wouldn't it still be able to cause destruction and death in a small area?

It wouldn't make it. They can aim their 1960s short-range missiles at South Korea and hope they hit where they are aiming, but there isn't much of anything North Korea could even hope to shoot at under US control other than the Marianas and Guam.

There's no debate that North Korea would just be steamrolled if they actually did attack South Korea but, the fact of the matter is we shouldn't want to see it come to that because, there will be damage to innocents on both sides. Just because they can't do shit to the US, and it's debatable if they can even hit Guam, doesn't mean we should be all George W. Bush cowboy "bring it on" about this.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think that most people want the hot war to kick off because they're sick and tired of NK's shit, and it really is well past time the people of that country got a fair shout for a change.

The sooner the North Koreans slip over the line separating 'precarious peace' from 'obliteration', the sooner the country can be free, its concentration camps liberated, its people no longer starving.

• Thumbs Up 5

I think that most people want the hot war to kick off because they're sick and tired of NK's shit, and it really is well past time the people of that country got a fair shout for a change.

The sooner the North Koreans slip over the line separating 'precarious peace' from 'obliteration', the sooner the country can be free, its concentration camps liberated, its people no longer starving.

I would think by now most people would be sick of "regime change" as a regular foreign policy experiment. An expensive one at that which has bankrupted this country and ruining us in the name of global empire/world police.

Notice how every country we've tried that on lately is a fucking mess?

I don't want people to be hurt either, but North Korea's callous, communist, concentration camp cavorting can is calling for a chaotic, critical, cataclysmic, catastrophic kicking.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 1

If North Koreans want freedom, they can fight and die for it like every other revolution has.

If their not willing to pay that price, it's not up to anyone else to "solve" things for them and kill them in the name of freedom.

We should patrol with stealth planes and keep them contained, but this bullshit "save people from themselves" mentality has got to go.

Edited by Sir Dwayne

I would think by now most people would be sick of "regime change" as a regular foreign policy experiment. An expensive one at that which has bankrupted this country and ruining us in the name of global empire/world police.

Notice how every country we've tried that on lately is a fucking mess?

Notice how every country invaded by the US lately was invaded without coherent, well thought out and executed reconstruction, reconciliation and exit strategies?

Anyway, I know that going to war purely to effect regime change is an endeavor fraught with danger, and is illegal under international law, hence the 'they attacked first' pretext they're looking for, I suppose.

If North Koreans want freedom, they can fight and die for it like every other revolution has.

If their not willing to pay the price, it's not up to anyone else to kill them for their freedom.

We should patrol with stealth planes and keep them contained, but this bullshit "free people from themselves" mentality has got to go.

The North Korean people are starving, their spirit has been broken and repeatedly beaten down over the past 50 years, and they have been fed a daily diet of propaganda for decades, which may well have warped many of the peoples' views on any number of subjects. Those who speak of dissent are either executed or sent to prison camps, and even if anyone did try to set up a resistance movement, the country lacks the kind of press, phones or internet access to communicate it widely enough to start Syria-esque uprisings. I really don't think that, in their current state, they're capable of launching a revolution.

• Thumbs Up 2

Let's not delude ourselves, the two halves of Korea aren't going to unite peacefully unless extraordinary circumstances occur. Better for NK's government to get obliterated by the South and the US sooner than later. I don't like war as much as the next guy, but the North would be far, far better off under the South's government.

This isn't like Iraq or Afghanistan. It's the unification of a split region under the regime of a perfectly existing stable democracy we're talking about.

• Thumbs Up 2

Better for NK's government to get obliterated by the South and the US sooner than later. I don't like war as much as the next guy, but the North would be far, far better off under the South's government.

This isn't like Iraq or Afghanistan. It's the unification of a split region under the regime of a perfectly existing stable democracy we're talking about.

If South Korea wants to invade and the U.S. supplies them with resources like we always have, that would be a far better situation then any American bombing or invasion happening.

If their not willing to pull that trigger we certainly shouldn't pull it for them.

Edited by Sir Dwayne

So they've declared war and how is this different from when they did this something like a week ago when they burned the armistice?  

Edited by Phos