Awoo.

The North Korea Thread: Threats, Propaganda and a brewing Holocaust

Autosaver

Hmm, building up missiles near Taiwan... how strange.

I think I know exactly what's going on here. While the USSR is commonly interpreted as the aggressor in the Cuban Missile Crisis, people overlook that America had deployed missiles in Turkey beforehand. When the US withdrew those missiles, Russia withdrew its missiles as well.

I think this is going to be similar; China is positioning itself off Taiwan because it's hoping to get some concessions out of us. As it stands neither side is backing down so I think China's going to try and offer a trade: the United States pulls back its forces from Korea, and in exchange China will pull its missiles back from near Taiwan, while also somehow tightening its noose around North Korea.

Obama's levelheaded so he will probably take it.

The US has been building up a large Military presence in the Far East months before this Crisis why? Who is the threat? If there is none then the US Government screwed up they should done this build up discreet and slow. Not fast and rapid pissing off Countries like China, Russia and North Korea who don't trust the US and vice versa.

If that's the case that certainly was a blunder.

On the other hand maybe we knew the North would be trying something given some time and wanted to show we're ready.

The nature of war is that no one knows the full picture because both sides keep a lot of things top secret. We won't know what happened in this situation until decades have passed and it's all declassified.

It's kinda like a second Cold War.

That's all it is, really. It's a second Cuba.

Except in this case the Soviets (China) can't keep a leash on their partner's missiles. In this case they're working with us, but they have to be careful because they don't want to get rid of the regime. North Korea knows this I think, and I think that's why the North continues to be so bold; they know China won't abandon them because that would allow American rule of Korea. China has no choice but to stay with them regardless of what they do.

Which is why I keep suggesting China organise some sort of coup, shoot most of the inner circle, and just put a new pro-Chinese government that knows its place in position instead. The crisis ends, they continue to control the North. It's win-win.

It's kinda like a second Cold War.

Yeah, but far more one-sided as far as throwing the first shot goes.

We wouldn't have to worry much if the DPRK made the first shot, but if so much as a shell from us hits them first then that's just gonna go down hill from there when China gets involved. Hence my fear of a possible WWIII.

I'm a lot more worried for Taiwan right now than South Korea. If war were to break out on the Korean peninsular, China would clearly take advantage of the situation, with all the nations of the region and all the world's media distracted, to launch a war on Taiwan.

I'm a lot more worried for Taiwan right now than South Korea. If war were to break out on the Korean peninsular, China would clearly take advantage of the situation, with all the nations of the region and all the world's media distracted, to launch a war on Taiwan.

Wow...and the fact that Taiwan wasn't even in a lot of our minds over this until now speaks volumes about that...mellow.png

Wow...and the fact that Taiwan wasn't even in a lot of our minds over this until now speaks volumes about that...mellow.png

The war would have to be lightning fast; Germany taking over Europe fast, or they'd risk incurring America's wrath. It seems pretty likely though, given how badly China must want to get its hands on all the technologies, expertise etc possessed by the Taiwanese, in addition to the small amount of 'new' territory it'd grant them.

Hmm, building up missiles near Taiwan... how strange.

I think I know exactly what's going on here. While the USSR is commonly interpreted as the aggressor in the Cuban Missile Crisis, people overlook that America had deployed missiles in Turkey beforehand. When the US withdrew those missiles, Russia withdrew its missiles as well.

I think this is going to be similar; China is positioning itself off Taiwan because it's hoping to get some concessions out of us. As it stands neither side is backing down so I think China's going to try and offer a trade: the United States pulls back its forces from Korea, and in exchange China will pull its missiles back from near Taiwan, while also somehow tightening its noose around North Korea.

Obama's levelheaded so he will probably take it.

If that's the case that certainly was a blunder.

On the other hand maybe we knew the North would be trying something given some time and wanted to show we're ready.

The nature of war is that no one knows the full picture because both sides keep a lot of things top secret. We won't know what happened in this situation until decades have passed and it's all declassified.

That's all it is, really. It's a second Cuba.

Except in this case the Soviets (China) can't keep a leash on their partner's missiles. In this case they're working with us, but they have to be careful because they don't want to get rid of the regime. North Korea knows this I think, and I think that's why the North continues to be so bold; they know China won't abandon them because that would allow American rule of Korea. China has no choice but to stay with them regardless of what they do.

Which is why I keep suggesting China organise some sort of coup, shoot most of the inner circle, and just put a new pro-Chinese government that knows its place in position instead. The crisis ends, they continue to control the North. It's win-win.

If did plan a coup they wouldn't remove Kim Jong Un due to his Divine status to the people but I wouldn't put it past them to install Generals and Advisors controlled by the Chinese. Well its a win for China and a win of the US but the North Koreans suffer either way.

The situation in Taiwan is interesting very little is reported about it. I do know that China and Japan are in a bitter dispute over some territory near both of their waters.sleep.png

I often wonder if the US wants another Cold War, an enemy with a face? 

The war would have to be lightning fast; Germany taking over Europe fast, or they'd risk incurring America's wrath. It seems pretty likely though, given how badly China must want to get its hands on all the technologies, expertise etc possessed by the Taiwanese, in addition to the small amount of 'new' territory it'd grant them.

Not to mention finally removing the Republic of China once and for all which is an important factor.

Edited by BW199148

Yep, international chaos is interesting...

But with North Korea being in the state it's in militarily speaking, I don't think we have that much to worry about aside from their nukes. Although, that depends on who fires the first shot, and lord knows we don't want to be the first.

Exactly how much is our involvment in Taiwan? Wouldn't be a declaration of war on us as well if they tried a blitzkrieg on any of our forces there?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc

If did plan a coup they wouldn't remove Kim Jong Un due to his Divine status to the people but I wouldn't put it past them to install Generals and Advisors controlled by the Chinese. Well its a win for China and a win of the US but the North Koreans suffer either way.

I often wonder if the US wants another Cold War, an enemy with a face?

Keeping Kim Jong Un as a figurehead is a pretty good idea overall. You want the locals to have an illusion they still rule themselves. Better a homegrown tyrant than a foreign one, after all. Stupid nationalism.

The US doesn't want another Cold War. We are far too happy with our economic, cultural, and military leadership. Even if that leadership's increasingly slipped away with Europe's increasing cooperation and China's rapid growth. The Cold War can't repeat itself anyway; we are far too intertwined with Europe and China versus how we were with the USSR, who were practically in their own world.

Exactly how much is our involvment in Taiwan? Wouldn't be a declaration of war on us as well if they tried a blitzkrieg on any of our forces there?

The only thing ever stopping China from taking it is the fact they can't hold a candle to American naval capabilities. Hence the missiles.

At the same time though, a part of me wonders if China really cares about Taiwan as much as they used to, or if it's just posturing. China's moderated over the decades, and I'm not so sure they'd want to risk the loss of trade that could result. The United States can find more suppliers of goods; good luck finding a market that can replace the USA. Let's face it, the US has the advantage over China in the long-term; if they cut off our goods we'll just shift production to Latin America or something.

BBC is reporting that North Korea has removed missiles from launch sites along the East Coast.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22429734

And I'm guessing most of us have seen the new intro to Have I got News for you?

I wouldn't be quick to say the US Government as give in to North Koreas demands. China might have offered them something or threatened them to stand down? Who knows why they have done it.

I am not going to breathe easy just yet they might have something else planned you never know.sleep.png

These people are the regime's base of support at the end of the day.

They aren't. Regimes like these don't have a proper base of support. This is not something I can explain easily, though... Hannah Arendt could do better than I, most certainly. But I'll try.

Fear is very likely to be the main aggregative force in North Korea. You are being squeezed from all sides and the police, alongside the army - which you are probably yourself a part of - make you feel the power's presence. But there isn't any real power in such society, because fear, as we all know, is a personal feeling. It can't be tangibly an aggregative force between people. So what actually happens is that everyone under the regime is, at the same time, part of the structure of power of the country and completely surrounded by it.

The secret police in particular is an example of this: in a society like ours, if there is a neighbour you don't like, you can (as in the law allows you to; whether the money and the financial crisis will let you is another question) always move out. In North Korea, you can't, because the power doesn't allow you to change your address so easily and for such particular reasons. However, you can use your "share" of this same constricting power to plant false proofs of treason in your neighbour's house and then just wait for your neighbour to be moved... to prison.

So there's no such thing as "people" in North Korea. I'd say "people" is a loose concept in any society, but in North Korea even moreso. You don't have politics there, so you can't build agendas of any kind, except personal ones and using the public power to fulfill them. It's a non-society. Hungry people or angry people will never leave this state of lethargy just for their own desires, even if they are shared.

• Thumbs Up 1

And I'm guessing most of us have seen the new intro to Have I got News for you?

I lost it at Obama being chased around. His expression was just priceless! XD

As for the missiles being removed, that's an interesting development. It makes wonder what's going on over there that would cause North Korea to reverse course.

• 2 weeks later...

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/north-korea-fires-three-more-missiles-082048736.html

Holy Shit! Hopefully they haven't hit anything. To be honest I haven't took my eye off North Korea though there hasn't been much to report. I knew they would test them when everything had calmed down to a certain point but even though I am still surprised by this move.

Was I only one who felt it gotten too quiet from all sides. A think tank report yesterday said that North Korea might have up to 200 Missiles and I knew that a Japanese Minister travelled to North Korea to meet with Kim Jong-Un. 

So yes looks things are far from getting better, again. sleep.png

Edited by BW199148

dare them to inch those Scud missiles closer to land if they're so eager for a fight.

Though it seems things are getting settled, so they probably won't do it anytime too soon.

I dare them to inch those Scud missiles closer to land if they're so eager for a fight.

If they do, not even Dennis Rodman will be able to save them this time.

I was wondering when the regime would get around to doing something to save face.

How meaningful was that missile test, anyway? Was it a new long range missile, or just something small and inconsequential?

• 1 month later...

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/panama-north-korea-ship-smuggling-missiles-081333266.html

Either Is North Korea really stupid or they have very large balls. I can't believe they would be this stupid you don't send a ship with illegal missile equipment through Panama, seeing as it is monitored up the arse by the US Intelligence. They should of sent it around South America it would of taken ages but they probably would of got away with. 

This doesn't look good for Cuba either. This so stupid if you told me it was a set up by the CIA to discredit the North Korea I would actually believe you because I can't believe they would be this stupid.sleep.png

Edited by BW199148

North Korea may have a right to ship weapons, but Panama has a right to declare what can and can't pass through their waters. By proxy so does the United States given America would probably punish them if Panama doesn't play ball.

This doesn't bode well for North Korea, to say the least. The question is, what can be done at this point besides war? The country's got a noose around its neck economically as is. They're like the Soviet Union during the early Depression - once you're so low you can't really sink any lower.

• 1 month later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24058708

kim-jong-un-smiling-reuters.jpg?w=479

"While you have been busy with Syria I have been busy too. I have a baby girl and a nuclear reactor and now I am back bitches!".

130301141000-dennis-rodman-kim-jong-un-s

"Me and my homie Dennis Rodman is the shit and says I am an awesome father!".

040213_1840_CouldNorthK1.jpg

"You leave Assad alone, he didn't Gas his people, only I do that. I need to sell my missiles to somebody. So leave him alone!".

Okay enough piss-taking basically North Korea have restarted their Reactor they decommissioned six years ago. Maybe recent events in Syria have gave them confidence to continue their Nuclear Program?

Edited by BW199148

One diplomatic defeat generally is accompanied by more, tis true. The US has pretty much been humiliated by backing down over Syria, so it's hurt its ability to really ask anything of North Korea... something it didn't really have much pull in to begin with.

So long as the US is backing the South however, it will always remain a bunch of saber rattling. All brinkmanship is is in convincing your opponent you've lost your sense of self-preservation. If that was true here, the South would have been invaded a second time long ago.

The US hasn't been humiliated; I think a lot of the world is just happy that its leaders have seen sense and avoided going into another (albeit limited) war. Plus, Putin's a strong leader with whom America would do well not to fuck.

• 4 months later...

BUMP

THE STATE News Agency of North Korea has confirmed today that the country has become the first in the world to ever land a man on the sun.

It reported that astronaut Hung Il Gong left for the sun on a specially designed rocket ship at approximately 3am this morning.

Hung, who traveled alone, reached his destination some four hours later, landing his craft on the far side of the lonely star.

“We are very delighted to announce a successful mission to put a man on the sun.” a North Korean central news anchor man said on a live broadcast earlier. “North Korea has beaten every other country in the world to the sun. Hung Il Gong is a hero and deserves a hero’s welcome when he returns home later this evening.”

The specially trained astronaut is expected to return back to earth at 9pm tonight, where he will meet his uncle and supreme leader Kim Jong-un.

It is understood that the 17-year-old ‘space explorer’ traveled at night to avoid being engulfed by the suns rays, and that this genius approach has brought the soviet state to the top of the global space rankings.

While on the sun, Mr. Hung collected sun spot samples to bring back to his supreme leader as a present.

The 18 hour mission is already being called the ‘greatest human achievement of our time’ by the North Korean central news agency.

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2014/01/21/north-korea-lands-first-ever-man-on-the-sun-confirms-central-news-agency/

Now they're claiming that they actually put a man on the sun. Wat. Just fucking wat.

This really shows the dangers of censorship. Our perception of reality is ultimately based on information, as we can only know so much first-hand. North Korea has done an excellent job completely warping reality with its control of the news, so it makes sense a lot of people don't understand the concept of light speed, or how hot the Sun is, or that North Korea doesn't have anything remotely close to an actual space program.

''It is understood that the 17-year-old ‘space explorer’ traveled at night to avoid being engulfed by the suns rays,''

This is either the funniest or saddest thing I've read in a long time... Seriously, THIS IS FUCKING CARTOON LOGIC, NO, I TAKE IT BACK, I'VE SEEN CARTOONS WHO POKE FUN AT THIS LOGIC, SO YEAH.

It's official, North Korea is the weirdest place on the fucking planet.