Awoo.

The North Korea Thread: Threats, Propaganda and a brewing Holocaust

Autosaver

TheOnion is a parody site, brah. It's not meant to be taken seriously...

EDIT: Fuck...looks like you already knew that. lol

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Launch 'em, North Korea! Come on! Do it! Press the button and send those missiles fly! I dare ya!

Be careful what you wish for they may not have missile capability but they can rain fire on the South Koreans with artillery some of them are believed to be chemical based. Don't tease a rabid dog.sleep.png

• Thumbs Up 4

Be careful what you wish for they may not have missile capability but they can rain fire on the South Koreans with artillery some of them are believed to be chemical based. Don't tease a rabid dog.sleep.png

People are going to suffer whether Korea's at peace or at war.

If the peninsula's at war though, it will ultimately lead to the best result when a barbaric regime is toppled. It's a bit utilitarian, yes, but nonetheless true.

A military hotline has been cut. Also, Photoshop was employed the other day...

North Korea has cut another military hotline with the South as state media said the country's leadership would meet in the coming days to discuss taking a "drastic turn".

A message to South Korean military officials said staff at the military communications liaison office would stop their activities "from this moment".

"Under the situation where a war may break out any moment, there is no need to keep north-south military communications which were laid between the militaries of both sides," it said.

"Not words but only arms will work on the US and the South Korean puppet forces."

North Korea has become increasingly bellicose in recent weeks, ending an armistice agreement with the South and ordering the military to be ready to strike US bases in Guam, Hawaii and mainland America.

However, it military threat maybe not be as fearsome as portrayed in images of North Korean military exercises released by the state news agency on Tuesday.

Experts said images of a sea-borne assault using hovercraft on an unidentified beach on the country's east coast had been doctored, with one or two vessels copied and pasted a number of times along the shore.

5NUhNFK.png

eOCO95k.png

Eric Baradat of AFP, which examined the image, told SKy News that analysis had "revealed various anomalies and proved that indeed in-depth changes had been made to the picture".

"Usually a very simple examination with our software dismisses KCNA pictures but they tend to be better with Photoshop recently," he added.

Sky's Asia Correspondent Mark Stone said: I was slightly curious yesterday ... because what usually happens in these cases is that they release the stills and then within an hour or two there we get the video.

"The people who are watching the state television channel will never hear that this was photoshopped, what they will hear is that they have got some sort of great military."

Pyongyang's latest threats followed the decision to impose new sanctions on North Korea over its nuclear ambitions and military exercises involving US and South Korean troops.

Cho Han-Bum, an analyst at the Korea Institute for National Unification, said the forthcoming meeting of the politburo of the ruling Workers' Party would probably seek to keep "the momentum going" through some symbolic gesture.

"I envisage a resolution that further raises the alarm, like declaring a top alert for the entire nation beyond the military, or something like that," Mr Cho said.

Several weeks ago North Korea severed the Red Cross hotline that had been used for government-to-government communications in the absence of diplomatic relations.

Severing the military hotline could affect operations at the Seoul-funded Kaesong industrial complex, established in the North in 2004 as a symbol of co-operation, as the hotline was used to organise movement of people and vehicles in and out.

The North's Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea, a state body in charge of propaganda and inter-Korean affairs, has also launched an attack on the South, accusing President Park Geun-Hye of slander and provocation.

It said she would meet a "miserable ruin" if she keeps "defying the warnings" of the North.

On Tuesday, President Park warned North Korea that its only "path to survival" lay in abandoning its nuclear and missile programmes, and she urged Pyongyang to "change course".

Meanwhile, a Chinese border province, Jilin, has said it will improve its trade and transport links with North Korea, building new railways and a road link.

The Jilin government proposals come despite Beijing working with the US on a UN Security Council resolution targeting Pyongyang's efforts to raise funds for its nuclear programme.

http://news.sky.com/story/1070325/north-korea-cuts-military-hotline-to-south

Sooo yeah, it looks like there's a bit more to come from North Korea yet this year. As much as I want this all to be over with in one last fiery conflagration, sigh, this is probably all about Kim Jong-un shoring up his support among the military leadership of the country. Internal politicking probably forced his hand.

Couldn't America just shoot the missile down. There's tons of satellites in space and probably a couple of them are programmed to shoot down missiles and maybe even wipe out an entire city with just a push of a button

I don't know if any satellites are actually armed with ordnance, and even if there are some, I'm pretty sure the technology for space-to-incoming-missile and space-to-ground armaments is still in development, alongside anti-satellite satellite tech.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know if any satellites are actually armed with ordnance, and even if there are some, I'm pretty sure the technology for space-to-incoming-missile and space-to-ground armaments is still in development, alongside anti-satellite satellite tech.

Since when did Regan's Star Wars program become real? blink.png

Since space became the ultimate high ground for any and all aspiring superpowers bent on regional hegemony and global superiority. You can bombard a hilltop encampment, you can lay siege to and overcome a mountaintop fortification, you can cripple a ship-based command center & air wing... but right now, which nation of man can genuinely claim to be able to destroy targets in orbit and beyond with the same ease that they can eliminate targets on the ground? Not even America can. And that is why they are, in the coming decades, going to start to trying to say yes.

People are going to suffer whether Korea's at peace or at war.

If the peninsula's at war though, it will ultimately lead to the best result when a barbaric regime is toppled. It's a bit utilitarian, yes, but nonetheless true.

If the North Korea is easy to "curb stomp" then why haven't we done it already? Let me think because nobody wants to join a potential bloody war that could destabilize the whole region and possibly damage relations with China and Russia if things spill over to their boarders.

Not mention the headache of merging the South with the North.

Thing is do some people here actually care about the North Korean's being oppressed or they more interested in giving them a good old "America Fuck Yeah!" ass whooping? dry.png

Since space became the ultimate high ground for any and all aspiring superpowers bent on regional hegemony and global superiority. You can bombard a hilltop encampment, you can lay siege to and overcome a mountaintop fortification, you can cripple a ship-based command center & air wing... but right now, which nation of man can genuinely claim to be able to destroy targets in orbit and beyond with the same ease that they can eliminate targets on the ground? Not even America can. And that is why they are, in the coming decades, going to start to trying to say yes.

Yes I know the reason behind the research into making it a reality but as far as I am aware the US currently has no satellites that can destroy missiles and if they did their would be a political shit storm. sleep.png

That's what I was trying to say; that while R&D into the tech is ongoing, it currently, to my knowledge, is not a battlefield reality, and will not be so for perhaps several decades to come.

That was my whole point.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's what I was trying to say; that while R&D into the tech is ongoing, it currently, to my knowledge, is not a battlefield reality, and will not be so for perhaps several decades to come.

That was my whole point.

Sorry I mis-read you point.

Not only what you said but whole idea for having weapons in space isn't a popular one.sleep.png

We militarized the land so long ago that we have no memory of its first beginnings, then we made the rivers, lakes and seas our warmongering domain, then we took to the skies, and before long we were waging war above, below and even within the clouds. There might be all kinds of international treaties in place to prevent the same happening to the blissful serenity of space, it might indeed be a political shitstorm in the making, and sure, it's probably not a popular idea (it's actually rather scary), but where people go, so eventually go all of their petty conflicts. If it isn't already one, it's a superpowered arms race just waiting to happen.

Anyway, we're getting pretty sidetracked right now, better get back on-topic...

Come on North Korea, at least use dummy props for your military shows of force! At least the US and USSR did that!

Ultimately this will all just be Jong Un trying to build up his power base. By this point in history North Korea's probably seeing the decentralisation of power, shifting from a dictatorship to an oligarchy. Whereas the first leader or two of dictatorships wield absolute power, the trend is that as time goes on the formal dictator actually shares more of his power with an elite, as has happened with China. So, he's probably simply trying to reinforce his precarious position lest he be reduced to a figurehead. He's young and pretty inexperienced, so it's no surprise he made sure to purge quite a few higher ups as soon as he came to power; he IS desperate to keep it.

If the North Korea is easy to "curb stomp" then why haven't we done it already? Let me think because nobody wants to join a potential bloody war that could destabilize the whole region and possibly damage relations with China and Russia if things spill over to their boarders.

Exactly that. It's not North Korea people are afraid of, it's the fact China and to some extent Russia greatly support them.

So I don't get how this is refuting what I was saying...?

Not mention the headache of merging the South with the North.

When you come to a mountain and there's no other way around, you do not turn back. You do your darndest to hike the bloody thing.

It's ridiculous to not want Korean unification because of the economic difficulties involved. In the long-term it will be for the best.

Thing is do some people here actually care about the North Korean's being oppressed or they more interested in giving them a good old "America Fuck Yeah!" ass whooping? dry.png

Why do they have to be mutually exclusive? You tear the regime down, put a democracy in its place, let standard economic development proceed.

Come on North Korea, at least use dummy props for your military shows of force! At least the US and USSR did that!

Ultimately this will all just be Jong Un trying to build up his power base. By this point in history North Korea's probably seeing the decentralisation of power, shifting from a dictatorship to an oligarchy. Whereas the first leader or two of dictatorships wield absolute power, the trend is that as time goes on the formal dictator actually shares more of his power with an elite, as has happened with China. So, he's probably simply trying to reinforce his precarious position lest he be reduced to a figurehead. He's young and pretty inexperienced, so it's no surprise he made sure to purge quite a few higher ups as soon as he came to power; he IS desperate to keep it.

Exactly that. It's not North Korea people are afraid of, it's the fact China and to some extent Russia greatly support them.

So I don't get how this is refuting what I was saying...?

When you come to a mountain and there's no other way around, you do not turn back. You do your darndest to hike the bloody thing.

It's ridiculous to not want Korean unification because of the economic difficulties involved. In the long-term it will be for the best.

Why do they have to be mutually exclusive? You tear the regime down, put a democracy in its place, let standard economic development proceed.

Its not as simple as you are saying Iraq at the moment is actually more worse off than it was under Saddam even if was a dictating arsehole.

What about all the Dictators the US imposed on other countries to suit their goals all the blood shed there in the name of "Democracy"?

I am not against Korean Unification I just don't want anybody to die for it needlessly.

The only justification for stopping North Korea is if they attack. I don't want our soldiers to die because somebody had a hard on for war.

Iraq War was bullshit I don't care if we stopped Saddam when we went to War on deliberate misinformation. There was no Weapons Of Mass Destruction and there is no real evidence of Saddam supporting Al-Qaeda even if it was a oppressive regime there was very little reason to invade.

I bet you would want to depose Castro if you could get a reason to.

I don't want the same thing to happen in Korea. If a War happens it has be the North that makes the first move and motivating them to isn't wise and I honestly don't agree with that. 

"Democracy" shouldn't be enforced unless it needs to be other wise we are no better than Jim Jong Un.sleep.png

Also what we consider Democracy may be perceived differently else where in the world. 

Well, there's always the chance that any missiles North Korea launches will blow up before leaving the country. Problem solved.

Its not as simple as you are saying Iraq at the moment is actually more worse off than it was under Saddam even if was a dictating arsehole.

Of course, but in the long run it's going to be better off because of it. Virtually every democracy known to man has been forged in blood at some point or another. It's a sad necessity. Western societies have advanced to such a point politically and economically that they have the privilege of looking upon political violence with disdain; unfortunately for the vast majority of the world this is not true.

What about all the Dictators the US imposed on other countries to suit their goals all the blood shed there in the name of "Democracy"?

This is irrelevant to my point; the United States does actively impose and back dictators due to strategic interests. North Korea is a rare case where democracy and US interests line up, and it should be exploited.

I am not against Korean Unification I just don't want anybody to die for it needlessly.

Iraq War was bullshit I don't care if we stopped Saddam when we went to War on deliberate misinformation. There was no Weapons Of Mass Destruction and there is no real evidence of Saddam supporting Al-Qaeda even if it was a oppressive regime there was very little reason to invade.

I bet you would want to depose Castro if you could get a reason to.

I would want to depose every dictator if it was feasible. Unfortunately the geopolitics and economics involved make this impossible.

"Democracy" shouldn't be enforced unless it needs to be other wise we are no better than Jim Jong Un.sleep.png

The doctrine of human rights is cultural imperialism, indeed. However, strange as it may seem, I think the idea of "every person has the right to live" trumps "Every person who doesn't follow orders gets killed." These people are denied representation, denied economic opportunity, and denied their basic rights as human beings by a despotic, totalitarian government. Just as World War II is viewed as a just war despite its enormous casualties, I see no reason this should be any different.

Well, there's always the chance that any missiles North Korea launches will blow up before leaving the country. Problem solved.

This would really be the most humorous part of the entire conflict. The complete mechanical incompetence of the North Korean military.

I'd rather shoot the rabid dog, but the problem is that the one holding the leash won't let us.

I'd rather shoot the rabid dog, but the problem is that the one holding the leash won't let us.

Hey, euthanasia can be serious business! China's had so many good times with North Korea these past 60+ years, it's so hard for them to let go...

...of course, like any good pet owner, they're going to realise this is for the best. North Korea's a danger to itself and everyone around it. China needs to just flat out say it's been real and dump the Kims at the curb, and say they can always call back when they're not so belligerent.

Its attitudes like this that are problem. The attitude that violence is answer to peace is not the solution even if you wipe every Dictator on this planet you simply can't impose one system on everybody.

One man's "Democracy" is another man's "Dictatorship".

But like I said if the North invades the South or attacks anybody else then okay lets stop them. But the US throwing the first punch would be a wrong move.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/north-korea-us-stealth-bombers-fly-over-south-064424867.html 

Come on America let them be the bully, not you. sleep.png

• Thumbs Up 1

One man's "Democracy" is another man's "Dictatorship".

No I'm pretty sure one person, one vote is a democracy no matter how you slice it.

As for those who'd be opposed to every person of basic reasoning power having a vote... they're authoritarian and their views don't deserve merit in the modern age. Sovereignity is cool and all, but it does not give you the right to force your women to wear a veil, to hang people for loving the same sex, or summarily execute someone for speaking out against the government.

But like I said if the North invades the South or attacks anybody else then okay lets stop them. But the US throwing the first punch would be a wrong move.

I don't think anybody here's advocating the US throw the first punch. Many of us are just hoping Kim Jong Un is as stupid as he's making himself out to be, hoping he will actually have the insanity to strike first, thus opening the gates to a free North Korea.

We're not bullying them at all by flying planes. We're simply saying we will, to put it politely, fuck them up royally if they think it's a wise idea to push south.

It's always cute when these kinds of countries cry it's a provocation, but if we wanted to provoke them, we'd be the ones launching artillery onto their sovereign soil, not the other way around. It's a demonstration that they are on the losing side of any hypothetical war, and thus, ultimately an instrument of peace.

Assuming rational actors anyway. This falls apart as quickly as mutually assured destruction if one of the parties involved lacks reason.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

Its attitudes like this that are problem. The attitude that violence is answer to peace is not the solution even if you wipe every Dictator on this planet you simply can't impose one system on everybody.

And making assumptions like that can be an even bigger one dude.

First off, I'm not saying it's an answer to peace, so stop putting words in my mouth. I've said it plenty of times that I'm being hawkish as hell towards this, and I'm expecting a fire to come out of all this and plenty of other things as well.

Secondly, I'm saying it's a way to get rid of a threat that becoming a problem as time goes on. Because it's already obvious that they're beating the war drum here, and they're itching for a fight. Were that not even the case here, I wouldn't even concern myself with wanting them to send their missiles flying, because as much as we've kept an eye on them, North Korea wasn't making this much noise until recently.

In other words, had the dog not became more rabid, there wouldn't be any want of wanting to shoot it.

According to CBS this morning, and other news outlets, two United States B-2 Stealth Bombers have been flown over South Korea to take part in military drills, as an act of deterrence against the North. NK's propagandists will probably soon be airing, on national television, doctored footage of these bombers being "blown up."

http://news.yahoo.com/us-sends-nuclear-capable-b-2-bombers-skorea-112309292.html

And making assumptions like that can be an even bigger one dude.

First off, I'm not saying it's an answer to peace, so stop putting words in my mouth. I've said it plenty of times that I'm being hawkish as hell towards this, and I'm expecting a fire to come out of all this and plenty of other things as well.

Secondly, I'm saying it's a way to get rid of a threat that becoming a problem as time goes on. Because it's already obvious that they're beating the war drum here, and they're itching for a fight. Were that not even the case here, I wouldn't even concern myself with wanting them to send their missiles flying, because as much as we've kept an eye on them, North Korea wasn't making this much noise until recently.

In other words, had the dog not became more rabid, there wouldn't be any want of wanting to shoot it.

Sorry, I should of been more clear with who I was directing my first sentence as it was aimed more at Ogilive than towards yourself.

To me both sides seem itching for a fight with both sides display acts of defiance that make the situation no better.

Its a double edged sword. Problem is the more the North play with the Nuclear Bonfire the more sanctions and condemnation they receive the more they will be pushed into a corner where their only options is give up Nuclear testing or go to war with South. The former would be the most ideal solution but they will never give up on it at least not permanently anyway.

Knowing China and Russia they are probably telling Kim Jong Un to renegotiate with the UN exchange for economic aid. Kim Jong Un meanwhile secretly continues their Nuclear Weapons Program.sleep.png

Chaos bit off topic but what are your thoughts on Iran having a Nuclear Capability, the situation in Syria and the extremest insurgencies in Thailand and Africa?   

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/north-korea-rockets-ready-hit-us-bases-223930990.html

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/us-warns-ready-eventuality-n-korea-213119948.html

Sorry to double post but more threats from the North and US response to recent events. The US military at this rate will be heading for DEFCON 3. Its been at DEFCON 4 for a while now. I doubt it would go anyway lower than 3 even if war with the North breaks.

Still thinks aren't looking good. sleep.png

Do you know that a few weeks back the Russian's flew some bombers over Guam where the US has a large air military base? 

http://www.guampdn.com/article/20130217/NEWS01/302170318/Russian-bombers-intercepted

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/iran-north-korea-cause-trouble-u-n-arms-213306206.html

Syria, Iran and North Korea reject a treaty to regulate the arms trade as they feel it won't prevent arm sales to terrorists.  

EDIT: It doesn't help that China have mobilized its forces and missiles to defend its coast over its dispute with Japan over island territory.  

Edited by BW199148