officials said Friday.

The office of the governor of the region in the Ural Mountains said

in a statement that many calls about injuries and damage to buildings

had been received. But there were no immediate confirmed figures or

specific reports on damage.

Reports conflicted on the event: A spokeswoman for Russia's Emergency

Ministry, Irina Rossius, told The Associated Press that there was a

meteor shower, but another ministry spokeswoman, Elena Smirnikh, was

quoted by the Interfax news agency as saying it was a single meteorite.

The ministry said some fragments fell near the town of Satka, about

200 kilometres (120 miles) from the regional capital city of

Chelyabinsk.

Source

In case you can't tell, the story is still kind of unfolding and it isn't entirely clear if it's just been one impact or several. The one confirmed hit was on a building, which you can see in this video (it's just the aftermath by the way, not the actual impact). It's still largely unknown if there were any casualties or serious injuries.

Unless I'm just really bad at researching.

Edited by Speederino

Just watched the news. I don't live even near Chelyabinsk so I didn't see or hear anything but what was showed in news report is indeed impressive. I thought I knew enough on that topic but even I was surprised on how much damage such a small object did. It is said to be of the same size as tennis ball and had the weight of 1-2 kg. (though I'm not so sure about that)

The meteorite exploded in the air. The blast wave destroyed lots of windows and some roofs. There are some casualties.

Edited by ArtFenix

In Russia, you hit meteorites. wink.png

Er, you got it the wrong its "In Russia, Meteorite hits you!".

Anyway is this joke even appropriate? A lot of people have injured some critically some might even be dead. sleep.png 

Is this the meteorite they said was going to just miss Earth or is it fragments of it?huh.png  

• Thumbs Up 6

Anyway is this joke even appropriate? A lot of people have injured some critically some might even be dead. sleep.png

Is this the meteorite they said was going to just miss Earth or is it fragments of it?huh.png  

Yeah, joking is nice but now it's a bit different case.

One of the theories is that it was a part of a bigger one, yes.

It's not unusual, it's just weird to get one of that size not breaking up before it gets close enough to injure and break things. It's still pretty impressive though, our large one from last year barely compares.

Asteroid passing the Earth tonight though, one that's viewable through binoculars or a telescope. It's gonna be a close one.

All news sources point to 500 injured, no-one seriously so, though, mostly as a result of shattering windows and the likes. It wasn't a disaster.

And the russian reversal on this case WOULD be "you hit meteor" :V

Someone managed to capture video of a meteorite as it was falling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp5eg_lk8zA

(Stupid Inception music but whatever.)

That's just terrifying.

If I  was there I would be bricking it. I hope the causalities aren't too severe.sad.png  

*Sorry but I have to say that footage is way cooler than Armageddon!*

All news sources point to 500 injured, no-one seriously so, though, mostly as a result of shattering windows and the likes. It wasn't a disaster.

And the russian reversal on this case WOULD be "you hit meteor" :V

Who cares it was a bad joke? sleep.png

Edited by BW199148
  • Thumbs Up 1

What's really scary about all this is that this meteor was complete un-monitored. It wasn't being watched or tracked by anybody. We are fortunate indeed that it struck an area with a low population density.

• Thumbs Up 1

What is it with Russia getting smacked by meteorites?

The country is large, so there are major possibility for a meteor to hit it.

All these guys in a news pronounce "ChelyaBEEnsk", it's a bit incorrect, it should be "CheLYAbinsk".

http://map-site.ru/russia-2.jpg

Find Chelyabinsk here, take two "steps" east, to Omsk (drug addict capital, lol), and then to Novosibirsk, thats where i am. smile.png

Also here is my favorite video of russian thugs shocked by a blast biggrin.png 98% persent of speech is a swearing

Edited by crystallize

What's really scary about all this is that this meteor was complete un-monitored. It wasn't being watched or tracked by anybody. We are fortunate that it struck an area with a low population density.

Blast of meteorite smashed windows in near school, were wounded children.

Edited by Mefiresu

Wow. D; I'm glad nothing too serious asides from injuries from glass debris happened, but yeah... I'd totally be panicking if this were to happen where I live. Geez...

Yes, no one dead. Only over 500 people injured by glass.

Its actually over 900 now from what I've heard. I saw a report earlier stating that this is the biggest human casuallty count from an object from Outer Space. Wow dang.

Apparently, this meteorite was too small to be detected by the network of telescopes that are designed to detect such objects that would strike Earth. It's pretty fortunate that it didn't hit a much more populated area of Europe, the US, or wherever.

Man, the meteorite was traveling faster than the speed of sound and caused a sonic boom. (Gotta go fast, indeed.) Unbelievable. I'd be scared shitless if this happened anywhere near me.

Also CNN is now reporting at least 1000 injuries.

Dear Lord, that's a really scary scene o.o 

And... Isn't today the day when ANOTHER meteorite will pass really near the Earth's surface? Oh, ow. 

Maybe this smaller meteorite that hit Russia is just a piece of the this one.

Edited by Jango