Awoo.

Meteorites hit Russia?

Speederino

Anyway is this joke even appropriate? A lot of people have injured some critically some might even be dead. sleep.png

Oh not this again.

As someone who has seen serious threads where people joke around, I thought we came to a consensus that it wasn't that big of a deal? In fact, I think there was a huge argument of joking vs being serious and the thread ended up with "deal with the jokes." IIRC, some even said that joking was the best way to cope with tragedy. Unfortunately I totally forgot which thread this took place in.

I just remember a user commenting something like

"Real mature" POPULAR POST 10 likes

And then 20 people jumped in saying that people should be allowed to joke POPULAR POST 405205 likes

It's terrifying how suddenly it appears on the videos. A small light just pops out of nowhere then zooms by quickly with a long trail behind.Not to mention the flashing.

Dear Lord, that's a really scary scene o.o 

And... Isn't today the day when ANOTHER meteorite will pass really near the Earth's surface? Oh, ow. 

Maybe this smaller meteorite that hit Russia is just a piece of the this one.

Yep,the asteroid 2012 DA14.

Tho they're saying it's in no way connected to the meteor shower in Russia.That asteroid is closing in from the south while this meteor only landed on the northern hemishpere after exploding a bunch of times on its way down. Still,a pretty scary coincidence.

And the fact that around 3000 buildings in the region are reported with damage from the shockwave alone.Wow.

Just think though, on the video where you see the shadows move over the ground and then for a moment the light is so bright you can't see anything... thats it kids, thats how it's gonna end, the only difference is, we won't even notice the light returning to normal as we'll all be dust floating through space at 20 billion gazillion miles per hour and because we'll all have our own magnetic field we'll pull each other together to form an asteroid that'll do the same to some other poor world... *sings* "We'll all go together when we go!"

... ... ... .

In other news... KITTENS!

Oh not this again.

As someone who has seen serious threads where people joke around, I thought we came to a consensus that it wasn't that big of a deal? In fact, I think there was a huge argument of joking vs being serious and the thread ended up with "deal with the jokes." IIRC, some even said that joking was the best way to cope with tragedy. Unfortunately I totally forgot which thread this took place in.

I just remember a user commenting something like

"Real mature" POPULAR POST 10 likes

And then 20 people jumped in saying that people should be allowed to joke POPULAR POST 405205 likes

I criticized Lemanic's because A: I thought he got the joke wrong. B: I thought that the impact of the meteorite itself was much more deadly and serious seeing as I had only got out of bed 20 minutes before I posted that and C: he posted a joke and contributed nothing else.

Joke's are okay in my opinion if they done right and are in good taste. I personally found that to be in poor taste and a bit thoughtless at the time seeing as the event had only just been reported on. I post a small joke myself if read you my second post carefully.

What the hell have likes got to do with this?huh.png

I'm sorry for my joke and I apologize to the victims. I thought it was on a remote, deserted location.

Thanks but don't sweat it I am not actually angry or anything I just it was a bit much at the time.smile.png

So is their chance of tonight meteor separating or debris fall? huh.png

What the hell have likes got to do with this?huh.png

The point of the likes system is to show that you like something. My main point is that with the likes system, I have inferred that the consensus came that people should not be shamed about joking about a tragedy. Even mods stepped in to defend the guy when it happened.

I don't think you should be sorry Lemanic. Like honestly, people love when jokes like those pop out. Hell, this was upvoted to the front page on Reddit today.

Edit: It may have been about the aurora shooting. Not sure.

3t0bn7.jpg

Guess what? I laughed.

Edited by Autosaver

While the people who were injured have my sympathies, I can't help but envy the people who got to see such a rare and exciting event in person.

Something very similar happened to my dad when he was a boy. He grew up in a rural area, and one night he went out with his father to do some night fishing in a local pond. A meteor about the same size came in nearby, acting very similar to the one that hit Russia. The sky lit up as bright as day and there was a loud bang. Of course, since this was before social media, and it happened in the middle of nowhere, nobody else knew about it. It made the local papers, but that was it. My dad said he was just disappointed that it scared all the fish away!