Awoo.

Can we pull off another Sonic-based RPG?

\Lennox

The Mario & Luigi RPGs have a pretty good system. Why not try something like that with Sonic?

For starters, avoid turn-based RPG. The very mechanic of waiting your turn is the last thing I'd associate with the likes of Sonic, and that's not even getting into how annoying and luck-based the concept when mis-handled, often ends up being.

While I really love Atlus and their work, I don't think that a Sonic RPG made by them (or any company at all) would be a good idea.

Most of Atlus JRPGs are story first and the gameplay usually ends up as a variation of the regular turn-based SMT combat which in my opinion wouldn't fit the Sonic series. They have tried Action RPGs with the Raidou Devil Summoner, but it didn't end up being anything special, this said as a fan of the series.

All in all, there are things that don't fit together and for me Sonic and RPGs are one of those things.

And while Chronicles may have been major crap, it at least made me realise that the Sonic series doesn't quite have the ingredients to make a quality RPG. I mean, we are talking about a franchise that has problems with story writing/character interactions and still struggles to find the right gameplay mechanics in the main series, let alone a spin-off on an entirely different gender.

The Mario & Luigi RPGs have a pretty good system. Why not try something like that with Sonic?

Because they did do it with Sonic. Chronicles while was a different system was pretty much similar in Mario and Luigi. You have to focus and attack, and slide or do this at the right timing. Eventually it will even move away from battle and you chase after it (Just like in Mario and Luigi). You can use POW moves and they sometimes COMBINE THEM with other party members. It's not even remotely close, but you can tell they did a similar thing. Like what everyone else said, Sonic is better off with a Action-RPG.

Going to be blunt here.

Even if RPGs don't feel like a Sonic game at all, the fact is Sonic is a well-known brand name that can be slapped onto anything to secure extra sales. That's the whole point of a spinoff.

Racing has nothing to do with Mario... so why not make a whole new racing game rather than Mario Kart? Simple, because slapping Mario's name on a game will make it sell a ton more.

If another RPG is ever made, I'd say yes, please have it be made by Atlus. The RPG genre may not meet the expectation of Sonic, but it would be an overall good game on its merits.

While Atlus does seem to be a good choice in terms of RPGs plus Atlus has a strong reputation with the genre that gets sales, having Sonic in a RPG isn't a good fit for the character unless he appears as a cameo in something like Persona [a bit like the Crusader of Centy cameo].

RPGs are sort of opposite towards Sonic. Sonic is a character who is fast but also has a bit of momentum. Many RPGs are much slower paced using turn based battles, plenty of story with some having cutscenes, having sidequests and spending a long time on a game. While RPGs do have the mechanics, they also focus on the characters and the story that with the Sonic series isn't in the strongest area with only a few games try to make a decent effort in this area. When Sega makes a Sonic game that is slower paced, it gets negative to mixed at best reception such as Sonic Labyrinth, Sonic 3D, Sonic Shuffle and some people complained about the pace of Sonic Lost World being slower. Tails Adventure might be one of the exceptions however Sonic doesn't appear in the game at all. Not sure about Sonic the Fighters though. I think the reason why Sonic Chronicles got good reviews at the time was mainly because of the reputation of Bioware and not really for the game since Bioware made games such as Knights of the Old Republic, Balder's Gate, Jade Empire and Mass Effect, most were received pretty good by the press (Jade Empire is a bit forgotten by comparison though).

For Sonic to even try to work in a RPG environment, it would have to be either an action RPG, something like Zelda which is more of an action/adventure game, a platformer with RPG elements or another option is to focus on the other Sonic characters (e.g. Tails, Knuckles, Amy, etc) with possibly Sonic appearing in the game but not playing as him since for the other characters speed isn't their main focus but their other skills that are more suitable (Tails with his flight and knowledge, Knuckles with his gliding, climbing and fighting, Amy with the ability to use a weapon).

Could a RPG be made with Sonic & co? It can but it would have to take some thinking to balance between Sonic's speed and the positive elements of the genre. Don't know what Sonic Chronicles is like as in did they get the balance or was it something that didn't fit in well.

Using Ogilvie's example with Mario, Nintendo designed Mario to fit into as many genres as possible. Even before Super Mario Kart, Mario appeared in puzzle games, games where he didn't have his name for the title but still appeared (Wrecking Crew, Alleyway, Pinball, Donkey Kong that was his first game), even appeared in a sewing program on the Famicom. For Nintendo it was making a game and put Mario in it since they like the character very much and in a way treat him as a mascot. Mario also doesn't have an ability (unless via a power up) that makes a genre hard to do. With Sonic, he mainly appeared in fast paced games such as platformers/pinball/tennis/racing games and the games that were of a different speed, he either appeared as a cameo or not even included [e.g. Mean Bean Machine, Tails Sky Patrol/Adventures] except the various mobile games that were released in Japan and the examples mentioned earlier. There was also Sonic's Edusoft but that wasn't released.

Because they did do it with Sonic. Chronicles while was a different system was pretty much similar in Mario and Luigi. You have to focus and attack, and slide or do this at the right timing. Eventually it will even move away from battle and you chase after it (Just like in Mario and Luigi). You can use POW moves and they sometimes COMBINE THEM with other party members. It's not even remotely close, but you can tell they did a similar thing. Like what everyone else said, Sonic is better off with a Action-RPG.

Besides combining POW moves(similar to Bros. Moves)...nothing there is really similar to any M&L game.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic and the black knight was quite good

They should do and open world RPG where you have to goto the missions.

I dunno

Any similarities between Chronicles and the M&L games are superficial at best. I want to see a game that actually uses M&L's system, not something that looks vaguely like it.

Indeed, I've thought the same.

Given SEGA's move into the strategy genre, it's rather odd they haven't had a Sonic-themed strategy game.

I blame the fact that people probably would want to play as Sonic and co. in it and not Eggman or his cronies, which kind of throws it off. Doubly so when we consider what happens if we use Sonic as a hero unit... he'd just tear through forces all on his own with how quick and powerful he'd be.

I think if any Sonic strategy title is born, it needs to have Sonic comatose or otherwise out of the picture for its duration. Hell, have Eggman's ultimate victory turn out to all be a dream. Or just say it's a non-canon game showing what the world would be like without Sonic. Or something, I don't know.

Sure, it's not really "Sonic" in style but since when has that stopped a spinoff? As I've mentioned, a spinoff exists purely to cash in on an existing IP's name recognition rather than having to invest resources in building another brand.

I think a Sonic-based RPG is inherently doomed because the genre by definition clashes with Sonic's most well-known attribute: speed.

I think a Sonic-based RPG is inherently doomed because the genre by definition clashes with Sonic's most well-known attribute: speed.

I really hate when people say this. Contrary to popular belief, Sonic is not about speed. As long as Sonic doesn't move like molasses, an RPG shouldn't be a problem.

Sonic is not only about speed, but it's a pretty essential component. There's always going to be some dissonance when you take a series known for its speed and put it into what is typically one of the slowest genres.

Do you know a correlation I made the other day that blew my mind?

Chao and Pokemon.

Think about it.

You can breed different kinds of Chao to be stronger in different attributes, right? And these attributes reflect how well they'll perform in certain events, namely the Races and Karate matches.

Why not implement something like this into whatever Sonic RPG you guys are thinking about? In Chronicles, they just boosted certain attributes or changed battle statuses, right? What if Chao raising was the main attraction?

In fact, screw the Sonic RPG idea. Make it all about the Chao. Raise, play with, train and breed your Chao to take on a rival group of Chao or something. Nothing too massive scale, maybe something you can put on a 3DS. Yes, there can be races and karate, but why not add a turn-based combat system as well? How do their stats in flight, swim, speed and power affect those battles? Are there any other stats that can be added? How would you find animals or chaos drives in this game? Minigames? What if you could give your Chao little outfits, some of which may affect their battle stats? What if those jewels they win in the races affected their defense or attack mechanisms?

And what if you could trade Chao eggs over the Internet? Make the breeding scene a major player in raising the best Chao possible, though there should probably be limitations to how powerful certain stats can get, similar to Pokemon's IVs. Once you iron out those details, you could have a very replayable Pokemon-like RPG.

The setting?

Aw yes, you got that right.

Make Chao in Space a reality. Make it an RPG where you find rare Chao eggs across different planets, breed them and raise them in their native gardens, perhaps even create new breeds, and bring out the best of them in order to take on your rival Chao armies. 

Chao_In_Space_The_Search_for_Tikal.png

CONQUER YOUR ENEMIES, DEFEND THE GALAXY

• Thumbs Up 5

Sonic is not only about speed, but it's a pretty essential component.

No, it isn't.

There's always going to be some dissonance when you take a series known for its speed and put it into what is typically one of the slowest genres.

Even with said dissonance, I see no reason Sonic can't be successful in an RPG.

No, it isn't.

Erm, sorry, yes it is. It absolutely is an essential component.

When the very driving concept behind a game and a character is the ability for them to run fast, speed is something that needs to be factored. Whether or not it dominates the rest of the game is up to discretion, but even SONIC LABYRINTH had some speed in it.

• Thumbs Up 2

No, it isn't.

If speed isn't, then what is?

Even with said dissonance, I see no reason Sonic can't be successful in an RPG.

The dissonance is why. The expectations for the series clash with the mechanics of the genre, and unless you find a way to reconcile them you can't satisfy both, and that's going to drag the game down.

It also doesn't help that most RPGs have relied on telling a good story, which the series has long struggled with, which a lot of people are sick of it trying and failing at, and which this hypothetical game would be restrained in doing due to it having to match the tone, setting, and status quo of the series rather than being free to do its own thing.

If we were going into RTS territory, it could work. Those games tend to be decided early or else they drag on forever. Speed is very much a key element of winning in the RTS genre.

Though since this is about RPGs... I've no idea.

When in doubt they could always hire Tetsuya Nomura to make a Sonic RPG brand exclusive to PlayStation or something. :P ...I'm only half-joking.

I wish they could make another Sonic RPG since I hated how Chronicles ended on a cliffhanger. Atlus could make the next one since they're owned by SEGA now (or start anew) but they would have to change it into an action RPG. Turn based just doesn't work for Sonic.

Erm, sorry, yes it is. It absolutely is an essential component.

When the very driving concept behind a game and a character is the ability for them to run fast, speed is something that needs to be factored. Whether or not it dominates the rest of the game is up to discretion, but even SONIC LABYRINTH had some speed in it.

You don't need to be rude, you know. And if speed is so important that the game would be ruined without it, why not make it an action RPG? Those are plenty fast.

The dissonance is why. The expectations for the series clash with the mechanics of the genre, and unless you find a way to reconcile them you can't satisfy both, and that's going to drag the game down.

I don't really care what you think. As far as I'm concerned, Sonic should experiment more with the RPG genre. Any "dissonance" that comes up as a result is a necessary evil.

Hmm I feel like KH battle system isn't enough for people to go " OK I dig and follow this new game" I mean LOOK at how people are attacking Boom cause it's mostly combat base. And that's a spinoff or whatever it is. Even being so far from the normal canon it's getting flack for not being " THE FASTEST THING EVER " So I dunno. I would LOVE a KH battle system but there's two things that'll clash with people. One.. having to stop and fight. This has been a problem for people since Heroes and hasn't really died until Colors? I dunno. And two the story. I vote SE above everyone else cause love em or hate em.. they DID make KH.. and KH is pretty awesome. And they are pretty decent when it comes to epic stories. But all of that needs to fit perfectly or shit fails and clouds explode, and people sue hospitals for letting them rape people. :c

• 1 month later...

if speed is so important that the game would be ruined without it, why not make it an action RPG? Those are plenty fast.

The question is how the battle system will work? Action RPGs while could work with Sonic may be slashed by a combat system. With most Action RPGs, it's combat system often has to work and be good (For example: Kingdom Hearts, which has a excellent combat system that's perfect for casual and beginner gamers). The best way we could pull off a Sonic Action-RPG is a 2D Platformer (Something like Dust: An Elysian Tail) that's going to have fun platforming and intense platforming.

Or just do something like Unleashed and have some crappy experience system.

You don't need to be rude, you know. And if speed is so important that the game would be ruined without it, why not make it an action RPG? Those are plenty fast.

Is that before, after or during those segments of game play which is just me reading or watching a cut scene long period of dialogue for a long period of time?

Don't get me wrong, I like my RPG's, but to say RPG's are fast is misguided, fights 'can' be fast, but not always, Some RPG's have fights in which attacking isn't the best method to defeat the enemy, or the player MUST use some defensive spells/buffs in order to win, this slows down even the combat.

Add onto that the inevitable 'grind' segments, you've got yourself a slow paced game.

• Thumbs Up 1

You don't need to be rude, you know.

I don't really care what you think. 

Sweet attitude, bro.

As far as I'm concerned, Sonic should experiment more with the RPG genre. Any "dissonance" that comes up as a result is a necessary evil.

What about making an action/platformer series into an RPG is "necessary"?

Edit: Okay, only just realized this thready was bumped. Point still stands. 

I don't think Sonic lends itself well to an RPG because its story has never been its strongest point. You can say the same about the Mario franchise but I consider those to be a really special exception because the writing happens to have a lot of charm and wit that makes it stand up by itself.