Awoo.

Infamous: Second Son (PS4)

Lamor

Christ. First it's a totalitarian story about oppressing government and now our hero is a hip young punk artist. Couple that with the stupidly dramatic introduction of the game at the PS4 event and you've got one of the most pretentious games in recent history.

Want to see game play before I judge any new info. The graphics look okay but I see nothing that doesn't look like it could belong on the PS3.

New Details Emerge For PS4’s Infamous: Second Son

Second Son stars a 24-year old named Delsin Rowe, a character of Native American heritage described as “the artistic type with a chip on his shoulder.” Much like Cole MacGrath, the protagonist in Infamous and Infamous 2, Rowe learns of and is given his powers by happenstance. Conduits – those with special powers in the Infamous universe – are being transported by the government as the game begins, but after an accident derails the vehicle they’re in, Rowe “learns that he’s been a conduit all along” while dragging Conduit corpses from the mangled wreck.

Unlike Cole, who could famously manipulate electricity (and later ice and fire), young Delsin can manipulate smoke, a strange and mysterious power, but one that doesn’t necessarily reflect his entire range of would-be skills as you work your way through the game. And yes, the choice system that found a home with Infamous and Infamous 2 will be back in Second Son.

Interestingly, by studying the Trophies earned in Infamous 2, Sucker Punch settled on the game's good ending as canon: Cole MacGrath has been killed. Even the timely lightning bolt seen at the end of Infamous 2’s good ending undoubtedly put in the game to give Sucker Punch a way out should they want MacGrath to live wasn’t taken advantage of. In a game that stresses choices, Sucker Punch chose one path.

Infamous: Second Son takes place seven years after Cole died, along with a vast majority of Conduits in the United States. The remaining Conduits, however, are now known as “Bioterrorists,” and Cole is remembered by a vast majority of the country’s populous as a bad guy. As such, these associated Bioterrorists with skills and powers similar to Cole are tracked by the Department of Unified Protection, and they’re called into Seattle, Washington – the city Infamous: Second Son takes place in – to deal with the aforementioned crash, the one that ignites Rowe’s innate powers as a Conduit, and one that unintentionally sets these Bioterrorists free. (And yes, this is the first time an Infamous game has taken place in a real city, as opposed to a fictional one based on the features of an actual metropolis.)

Delsin wages war on the Department of Unified Protection’s soldiers (known as DUP in the game) with his smoke powers, other powers yet to be revealed by the developer, and a chain-like melee weapon that seems to take the place of Cole’s Amp. Not surprisingly, Delsin’s smoke power is replenished by absorbing smoke, similar to Cole’s ability to harness electricity. However, it is noted that smoke is far rarer than electricity was in the previous two games in the series, meaning that a more thoughtful approach to combat will be required. Interestingly, smoke is absorbed by using the DualShock 4’s mysterious touch pad.

Want to see game play before I judge any new info. The graphics look okay but I see nothing that doesn't look like it could belong on the PS3.

IQ, texture resolution, polygon counts, particles, lighting, post processing.

Previously, on PS3, by the same team in the same franchise:

H6baG.jpg

kT5Pc.jpg

Though the aliasing is less prominent when you actually play it vs direct feed.

• Thumbs Up 2

I signed up just for this.

Where did you get those photos!? Never mind.

Anyway it looks like its still infamous-esque, with enemies running from you while you fire bolts at them. If the gameplay matches the quality of the franchise then I'll definitely love it. Heard Delsin was getting some sort of flight ability like the one from the shadow swarm in Festival og Blood. Wish they adjust the morality system though

Edited by TitanHunterJungoTorii

Bridging the Gap: From Infamous 2 To Second Son

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/05/10/bridging-the-gap-from-infamous-2-to-second-son.aspx?PostPageIndex=1

EvilinLine610.jpg

Infamous Second Son takes place seven years after the events of Infamous 2. A lot can happen in seven years, so here’s the abbreviated timeline that will prepare you for Sucker Punch’s next super-powered outing.

The first two Infamous games told the tale of what would happen if ordinary people suddenly gained supernatural powers – gifting them abilities that could level buildings. This prospect terrified the general population who were left feeling powerless against the whims of the fortunate few who gained supernatural abilities.

These powered-up individuals came to be known as Conduits, and series hero Cole McGrath was one of the most powerful conduits on the planet. However, it was up to players to chose whether or not Cole used his powers for the benefit of the larger commonwealth or only for himself.

Powerincity610.jpg

This good/evil system actually helped shape the franchise’s future. Gamers didn’t know they were voting on the fate of they next Infamous game while playing Infamous 2, but that’s exactly what happened.

“When we got done with Infamous 2, we had given players this choice of whether or not they wanted to heroically sacrifice Cole or keep him alive at the expense of the human population,” says game director Nate Fox. “The game shipped and we started seeing trophy data, and 78 percent of players decided to sacrifice Cole and have him die. We wanted to honor their choice so moving forward we said ‘Let’s make a new hero.’”

Goodendingstill610.jpg

Players overwhelmingly chose to play through Infamous 2’s good ending. During this now-canonical ending, Cole defeats a powerful, destruction-crazed Conduit known as the Beast and then sets off a genetic bomb called the Ray Field Inhibitor (RFI), which not only kills Cole but destroys all the Conduit genes around the world, thereby ridding the world of the Conduit “plague.”

While this ending seemed fairly conclusive, the RFI device wasn’t as thorough as players were initially led to believe. According to Sucker Punch, Conduits who were further away from the RFI’s blast radius weren’t completely “cured,” so there are still a number of less-powerful Conduits and Conduits who didn’t know they had powers scattered across the globe.

Even if the RFI wasn’t as far-reaching as it could have been, the events of the first two Infamous games definitely left their mark on the world. A culture of fear sprang up, and the general population felt fragile with the knowledge that a select few held the power of an entire army at their fingertips. Someone had to step up and make sure that these Conduits didn’t have the opportunity to use their powers for destructive purposes ever again.

CitiesDestroyed610.jpg

“In Infamous 1 and 2, it hit the fan,” says Fox. “The human population got freaked out by all the deaths. As a result, this agency called the DUP – Department of Unified Protection – was born. What they do is go out and round up anyone with superpowers and they put them in detention centers for the own protection, but really they’re doing it to protect the common man.”

While those with superhuman powers have traditionally been called Conduits, the DUP rebranded them as Bioterrorists. Whenever there is a Bioterrorist outbreak, the DUP swarms into a city, locks it down, and sets up checkpoints on every block. Everyone who lives in that city has to come through and put their finger on a scanner and prove they don’t have special powers.

“They take a city and turn it into a giant airport,” explains Fox.

The story of Infamous Second Son picks up after seven years of DUP operation, when a new character named Delsin discovers that he has powers during a Conduit outbreak near Seattle.

Yay. They chose the Good Ending as the canonical one biggrin.png

Edited by Lamor

Props to the Sly Cooper Pin, love that they're continuing that reference. Looks darn good so far, so if I ever get a PS4 this will probably be the first title I get with it. Also, I'm really glad the story follows up from the good ending of inFamous 2; that really is the best ending in that one.

• Thumbs Up 3

Interesting take on the Good/Evil dichotomy we've had in games. Who knows where they could have taken things if players up and decided to be a dick throughout those two games. :lol:

It really wasn't a choice as being douche was never a viable option or even an entertaining option over just being a decent person. There was not one single "bad" option in Infamous 2 that was morally reasonable. This was not letting the Rachni live vs. killing them all. This wasn't sentient AIs being considered sentient. This wasn't the Krogan Genophage! It was simply being a dick versus not being a dick. Of course players overwhelming chose being a decent person as the other choice just seemed like being a dick for the sake of being a dick. It didn't help matters that the player was rewarded for being a decent individual over not(You received more experience points and opportunities for being a decent fucking person). You had to go out your way to being an asshole.

Article got some major spoilers. I feel sorry for anyone that clicked it prior to beating I2.

It didn't help matters that the player was rewarded for being a decent individual over not(You received dat ice jump)

i fixed that for you bro

It must come back for this game. You could pull some crazy navigation with that on top of Delsin's BAMFs

• Thumbs Up 3

What the PS4 Means for Infamous: Second Son

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/05/13/what-the-playstation-4-means-for-infamous-second-son.aspx

I'd like to see some actual gameplay. *sigh* 

Something is better than nothing I guess :/

EDIT 1:

Digitizing Seattle: Infamous Second Son's New Playground

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/05/17/digitizing-seattle-infamous-second-son-39-s-new-playground.aspx

Sounds like they're really excited about this game's setting. 

Edited by Lamor

Infamous: Second Son Contributed Towards the Making of PS4

inFAMOUS: Second Son's Star Will Have More Powers Than Smoke

Branching out

650x.jpg

There’s no smoke without fire, and everything that we’ve heard about inFAMOUS: Second Son’s new protagonist Delsin Rowe has supported that point. However, while developer Sucker Punch has led us to believe that the 20-something star will primarily take advantage of smouldering superpowers, according to Game Informer magazine, that's not quite the case.

“Delsin’s power is actually the ability to absorb other Conduits' powers,” the publication explained as part of its gigantic cover story on the game. “Sucker Punch wouldn’t elaborate any further on what other kinds of powers Delsin might absorb throughout his journey, but it stands to reason that Delsin will acquire a whole suite of new powers, which could range anywhere from ice-based blasts to electric attacks.”

So, in essence, rather than being limited to a single power, you’ll potentially have access to hundreds. It sounds inspired on paper, but we’re worried that the lack of focus may undo the series’ trademark polish. Regardless, as in previous games, your actions will have an impact on the protagonist’s personality, which may have an influence on the types of powers that he learns.

“This is an inFAMOUS game, so you will make choices all along the way,” said game director Nate Fox. “That plays out in how people react to you and how the story ultimately concludes.” Let’s hope that we get to learn a little more about the game at E3 next month.

[via gameinformer.com]

• Thumbs Up 1

So he is Rogue? Even better.

You'll probably get new powers from the usual videogame source (bosses) plus some path-specific specializations.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

Infamous: Second Son E3 Trailer

Looks like this is going to be the best Infamous game! Delsin is awesome!

• Thumbs Up 1

Awesome trailer and gameplay! Shame I already know what happens in Infamous 2's ending (I just don't know how it happens) but hey, the game has been out for a while. Also gives me more reason to play the first two Infamous games on PS3. =]

That part where he rockets up, splits and slams down hnnggg

Awesome trailer and gameplay! Shame I already know what happens in Infamous 2's ending (I just don't know how it happens) but hey, the game has been out for a while. Also gives me more reason to play the first two Infamous games on PS3. =]

In both of the endings? They're different enough it warrants a bad karma replay.

Still, fantastic series. Open world, snappy controls, platforming and super powers. You'll enjoy it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gameplay demo. Early build results in some glitches (like pop in) but still looks neat.

Enemies with stone (?) themed skills, hm.

• Thumbs Up 1

Rock pillar launch? Reminds me of Avatar now. And since Delsin can absorb other powers, maybe he can do some sort of variant ability of that?

Anyway the game looks cool and all. But the only downside is....... Nope, can't think of any. This game looks freaking awesome!

From the gameplay it doesn't look too easy or hard, but I didn't see Delsin requiring to recharge his smoke. Must be the same with the infamous 2 demo, having automatic recharge for demo reasons.

He seems much more close combat focused than Cole with a mid range ability. The charge rocket looks good too and glad they're keeping destructables around. I'm guessing that sky rocket fly and crash down ability would be what Ionic Vortex is to infamous 2.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Limited and Collector's Edition revealed. Kinda lame, to be honest.

There just doesn't seem to be enough to justify the Collector's Edition over the limited one which is extended to all pre-orders.

Dat beanie ohmy.png

....swagalicious

EDIT:

Neon Trailer

The beginning made me chuckle. I already like Delsin more that Cole.

Edited by Lamor

• 5 months later...

Yeah, I've been keeping close tabs on this game since a few weeks ago, while trying to avoid spoilers (game was leaked a week ago by some eBay seller, btw). Saw a few screens that were taken with the Share button, and they pretty much seal the deal that this is truly the first game that shows what the PS4 can do.

Game was shipped from Gamefly early this morning, so it should be here tomorrow or Saturday. Until then, avoiding spoilers about the rest of the powers is gonna be a pain in the ass...

Yeah, I've been keeping close tabs on this game since a few weeks ago, while trying to avoid spoilers (game was leaked a week ago by some eBay seller, btw). Saw a few screens that were taken with the Share button, and they pretty much seal the deal that this is truly the first game that shows what the PS4 can do.

Game was shipped from Gamefly early this morning, so it should be here tomorrow or Saturday. Until then, avoiding spoilers about the rest of the powers is gonna be a pain in the ass...

Ya know what power I heard was awesome?.....

Joking bro. I don't even know. But I can't wait to finally get a PS4 and get my hands on this.