Awoo.

Should we have another game where we can raise chao?

BlueMist

Should sega bring out another game where we can raise chao. In my opinion I think we should have another game as raising chao is one of my favourite things to do

What does raising chao have to do with Sonic.

Might as well insert a farming sim, a dating sim, and a bullet hell shooter along with it.

• Thumbs Up 7

As much as I liked playing with the Chao Gardens in Adventure, it doesn't really belong on Sonic games. The idea for the Chao Garden was to show off artificial intelligence technology. It was fairly simple, and fun. But it did not complement the actual  Sonic gameplay at all. There was little connecting them except for the rings and animals you collected. It's like they were two separate games altogether.

I'd rather see them use all the resources necessary for designing a Chao Garden to focus on making fun games right now. Better to just play an actual virtual pet game than to tack another one on Sonic.

Edited by Dr. Homem
  • Thumbs Up 3

Yes. To me Sonic games these days are lacking, and this would be the perfect bonus feature to make them more interesting, plus, something to keep you coming back after you complete the game. it was one of the best things in Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 and the main thing which kept me playing again and again. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Yes.

Added to the replay value of Sonic Adventure 2: Battle tremendously, for me. Replayed levels just to get those chaos drives, which I in turn used to level my chao and earn additional emblems with. Good fun.

I rather enjoyed the Chao as well and wouldn't mind their return but like the others have said it doesn't really fit Sonic. It was a really big pace breaker for the kind of game Sonic is, maybe even more then the Werehog was... Actually now that I think about it, if Sega made Chao a separte game series with more complex things in it plus with a lot more extras...I'd be all over that!

What I'm saying is I don't really mind the Chao in Sonic games, just let it not be a important part of the game. *coughlookatmysigniturefreakingSA2emblemscough*

Edited by Davybot
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think the Chao Garden, while not related to Sonic gameplay at all, has become almost iconic to Sonic considering how many people loved it from the Adventure games, and would draw a lot of people back to buy the next game if it was there (and we know how much SEGA needs money), so yes I think we should. And hey, I enjoyed it for what it was and it wasn't really intrusive anyway, like the Werehog and other genre roulette examples. Just tie it into main gameplay a bit more, like have stuff you do with your Chao benefit you in the main game, for example maybe you can unlock skills ala Generations for Sonic through the Chao Garden somehow (of course it should be optional unless you want to 100 percent the game ala SA2) and some other stuff I can't think of right now. 

Edited by Generations (Chaos Warp)

I think so. I always found the Chao to be really cute, so why not? I thought it was kinda fun. Slightly irritating mini-games, but still it was fun to raise Chao. I don't think that it should affect 100% game completion though, like in SA2B (even though I don't care about completing a game 100%, I know there are people who do).

I think so as well. They were a cute addition to past games and believe it or not I did have fun raising chao. :3 It may not have contributed to the overall gameplay but it was a fresh addition to the game that I found interesting, so why not bring them back?

I wonder why Sega doesn't just make a spin-off franchise based on the Chao and the Chao Garden already. Take the existing Chao Garden features mechanics, expand it into a decently-sized virtual-pet sim with some (unlockable) additions to the existing features refined gameplay tweaks, throw in some new stuff that updates the game to today's standards (i.e. being able to share content with people, DLC, etc.) and put it on digital stores for handheld devices-namely smartphones and handhelds. Aside from throwing a bone to fans of the Chaos and the Chao Gardens, I'm pretty sure Sega could make some quick, easy revenue off of such a spinoff game. Not to mention the current Sonic Team if given the chance to develop it without any limitations, could essentially go nuts with what they would put in such a game, which would be rather nice to see after the recent stifling of creativity in recent Sonic titles.

If I said that one-third of the people who clamor for a third entry in the Sonic Adventure series arguably want said installment just for the Chaos Gardens to return, I don't think I would be that far off.

What does raising chao have to do with Sonic.

Might as well insert a farming sim, a dating sim, and a bullet hell shooter along with it.

We've already got third-person shooters, beat-'em-up brawlers, and fishing simulators in previous titles, so seeing such additions in a Sonic game isn't too far-fetched.

Edited by Gabe the Grinch

I've always found chao gardens to be really really boring. Chaos raising can take way longer then the actual game. The only reason why I even bother with them in Sonic Adventure is to collect their emblems but couldn't bring myself to do it again in Sonic Adventure 2. I don't see the appeal to them.

Edited by sonfan1984

I could just about tolerate the Chao gardens if it took 30 minutes to raise a Chao to full strength, instead of like 3 to 4 fucking hours. They were irrelevant to the normal gameplay. Sonic Team really should have spent more time polishing the normal gameplay in the adventure games.

Making it a requirement to win the chao races and chao karate in order to unlock Green Hill in Sa2, was a joke. 

So no more chao. Sorry Omochao.

Edited by -Bender-
  • Thumbs Up 1

Normally I would say no, mostly because I found the Chao Gardens boring. But as an extra DLC bonus sure why not, It won't change anything and for people who hate it they won't even have to download it.

Edited by Chrononego

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yes.

But seriously, I adore Chao Garden, I know tons of people do, even if it didn't feel like it belonged, it was completely optional and no one was ever forcing you to use it unlike the other characters. It's a totally optional, bonus minigame, that's actually pretty quality to the right demographic. Sure if it was to actually seriously detract from the main game's gameplay then don't bother, but why should one even affect the other if they have plenty of development time in the first place?

And if it doesn't work in a Sonic game, make a standalone Chao Garden game for the 3DS or Vita. I'd fuckin buy it. I'd buy 2 copies.

• Thumbs Up 3

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yes.

But seriously, I adore Chao Garden, I know tons of people do, even if it didn't fee it belongedel lik, it was completely optional and no one was ever forcing you to use it unlike the other characters. It's a totally optional, bonus minigame, that's actually pretty quality to the right demographic. 

LIES.

You had to use it to get emblems (which would get you GHZ) and something else.

I think if they did a HD port of the stand alone Chao Garden from SA2 and SA1 or just a collection of them both,Sonic fans would have something to do while waiting for the next game.

Although I still wonder why they didn't bring it back in Generations. It belonged there.

So long as they're not mandatory, why the hell not? I'm already not adversed to other gameplay distractions like kart racing or hubs being peppered around a game in service of fun and fleshing out the world, so I can't really oppose them on principle. Making them less archaic and more dependent on the gameplay can also be done, I imagine.

• Thumbs Up 7

After having to mess with the damn things for hours in both SA and SA2 in order to get all the emblems I have zero interest in seeing them return. Raising chao is seriously my most tedious gaming related experience ever. Damn those little pricks acting all high and mighty, throwing food away like some sort of trash and making the stamina stat the bane of my existence. Oh, and thanks for wasting my time with the 5 million race events as well. It's so fucking interesting to watch your chao do the exact same things over and over again while having no control of the situation. 

Back on topic though, do the chao really have anything more to offer? Maybe if you bring it to mobile platforms as a dedicated app it could serve as a time waster (because that's what it certainly is) but just tagging it along a proper game doesn't really add anything of value. No one is going to buy a game just because it has a small virtual pet mini game in it. But as a smartphone app it could have some success. 

It goes to show how uninteresting SA2 is in terms of gameplay, when some people found the Chao Garden a better incentive to go through levels in the game than the levels themselves. If you want people to go back to the game long after they finished it, then just design the levels such that people play the stages again based on their own merits rather than because you need to go through them to collect chaos drives to feed to your Chao.

A seperate Chao Garden game? Sure why the hell not. DLC? I guess so. If it must be in the actual game, make sure that its completely optional and unobtrusive and entirely self-contained. Also make sure its not tied to emblems/unlockables/acheivements/trophies. I don't want to be forced to play it to gain access to extras.

• Thumbs Up 2

Foolish Earthlings! They don't realise that chao raising is a long and boring process that distracts from the main construction of the game. Not only that but it forces the player to constantly replay levels over and over for no goal other than collecting things.

Collecting quests in any game is not fun. Unless these collectables come to life and can be used as experimentation tools... Experimentation tools... tools to use on foolish earthlings!

But replaying the same level with no option to quit with what you have just so you can raise a creature to a level where it stands a chance of doing things is not a fun thing to do. Also as a developer, you are automatically putting in a feature thats deisgned to make your players eventually grow bored of the main game, resulting in the next title getting instant negative reactions due to the boring process you put in there.

The earthlings did this previously with Sun and Moon medals, it was not fun.

Soon they shall want a chao garden that will destroy them all

tumblr_mbtbitR2th1qj0ahbo1_500.jpg

HAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHA! HAHAHAHA! AH hAHAHAH AH HAAHA!

End communication.

• Thumbs Up 7

Can we at least get more playable characters before we start demanding nonsense like the return of the Chao Garden?

• Thumbs Up 8