Awoo.

Should we have another game where we can raise chao?

BlueMist

I'd love to see choa gardens as a standalone downloadable thing. Maybe even make them somehow cross compatible with Sonic games; make it so your choa can follow you around as you run through the levels or something. I probably wouldn't bother with it, but I know a lot of people want them and if Sega would just make one single standalone downloadable choa garden, we could all get on with our lives and Sega could focus on more important things!

I don't mind if they put a Chao garden in the game, as long as it isn't mandatory, doesn't get me achievements and doesn't get me emblems. I like that it's there, and I know people like it, but I don't and I don't want to have to raise Chao to 100% a game.

I actually wouldn't mind if they brought back the Chao Gardens. It would be better to keep it optional though (for people who like and dislike it). As long as you are not forced to raise Chao in order to complete the whole game and earn extras then I would welcome it.

Edited by C.J

I personally love Chao Garden and I'd be happy to see it return but I also admit that lots of people can find that aspect of the game boring and they don't want to bother with the Chao to get emblems and stuff. So they should be there for the sake of being there, shouldn't affect 100% runs or achievements or anything. Let people act like the Garden was never there if they want to.

Of course there will be other people saying "But they should use the time for the Garden for polishing the game"(There already are people saying that... Since long time ago) but just like you want a extra polished game, me and the other Chao lovers would like to get the Garden. So I'd say a DLC sounds good, wouldn't get in the way of making a the game since they can give us the Chao later... Unless they make it a Day 1 DLC. Then I would curse... A lot.

I'd support playable Chao. Actually, I dunno why Sonic Team themselves haven't thought of that yet.

...Imagine if Omochao was playable.

Could the Chao Gardens have had something to do with how popular SA2B was back in the day? If anything was ever going to draw in the casual fans to Sonic cute little blobs you can raise through playing the main game certainly would have been it.

I doubt that people would have bought a Sonic game just for that. It was only a simple side game after all.

I'm not sure why people are so vehemently against its return, however.

I'm not sure why people are so vehemently against its return, however.

It's probably because of the possibility of its return (and its inevitable reception) sending a message to Sega that "Hey, do you remember your old Gameplay Roulette shtick from the earlier games? Yeah, you should totally do that again."

Personally, I just don't give a damn for the Chao Gardens in general. Its gameplay is generally far too inactive for me to care.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh I know that, I don't mean why they bought the game in the first place, I mean what kept so many people coming back to it.

I guess for some, but they never really held my attention for long. I spent way more of my time with it trying to A-rank the missions.

It's probably because of the possibility of its return (and its inevitable reception) sending a message to Sega that "Hey, do you remember your old Gameplay Roulette shtick from the earlier games? Yeah, you should totally do that again."

I'm probably one of the most cynical members around, but I still don't think that SEGA can be that stupid. If I thought they were then I'd be wasting my time with the franchise. Nothing about recent games suggests that they'd dare to try something different, let alone repeat past mistakes. People treat the franchise like it's a ticking time bomb and a time when SEGA couldn't be playing it more safe.

Edited by Pawn

My perfect vision for Chao is simple: they are playable.

give me a way to raise them bastards the same way it was in the adventure games, and then give me a Chao World, a set of differently themed levels where Chao are fully playable lika in a slow 3D platformer kinda like Mario Galaxy.

Every Chao would be a little Emerl, with various slots for differents habilities, you could choose for example to equipe a Chao with Sonic‘s homing attack, Tails flying, Silver‘s hover or Blaze‘s rocket jump, attacks could be Sonic‘s rolling, a toy gun that shoots energy balls on enemies for Shadow, Amy‘s hammer, or Bayonetta-esque long range fire melee attacks for Blaze, Special habilities like Sonics boost, Chaos Control, grabbing objects to throw at enemies and so on...

as the Chao are raised they will quickly get powers depending on the different characters that raise them, a chao raised by Sonic will run faster and can roll, them if Tails raises him aswell he can grow Tails and can fly as a double jump hability, then he can have awesome fire melee attacks if raised by Blaze, stop time if raised by Shadow and so on.

let me raise lots of chao and have multiple combinations of powers and habilities, them let-me play them in a 3D platforming world exclusive to the main action stages from the game, maybe even give a LPBesque map editor with different themes for people to create and share levels.

there, Chao is awesome again.

Edited by Anti Alias
  • Thumbs Up 2

My perfect vision for Chao is simple: they are playable.

give me a way to raise them bastards the same way it was in the adventure games, and then give me a Chao World, a set of differently themed levels where Chao are fully playable lika in a slow 3D platformer kinda like Mario Galaxy.

as the Chao are raised they will get powers depending on the different characters that raise them, a chao raised by Sonic will run faster and can roll, them if Tails raises him aswell he can grow Tails and can fly as a double jump hability, then he can have awesome fire melee attacks if raised by Blaze, stop time if raised by Shadow and so on.

let me raise lots of chao and have multiple combinations of powers and habilities, them let-me play them in a 3D platforming world exclusive to the main action stages from the game, maybe even give a LPBesque map editor with different themes for people to create and share levels.

there, Chao is awesome again.

Now that would be interesting

Never really took all the time to go all the way through them, I mean I have only evolved one once XD so I am not really the person to talk to, however didnt hate them either

Edited by Mandobardanjusik

No thanks,

In adventure you didn't have to go into them unless you wanted to.....so i just didn't

In adventure 2 you got teleported there after the end of the level and it broke the flow of the game.

And....well, what was the point of them anyway?

They weren't awful or anything but I've no interest at all in seeing them again.

Then shouldn't they focus on making Sonic better, rather than padding the game with some irrelevant side game?

Yes focus on the game should always come first but adding side games isn't always a bad thing. As many have mentioned chao gardens added replay value which, last time I checked, was a good thing. The issue was it wasn't everyone's cup of tea. But, like all parts of the game, you had to raise chao to get 100%. If you hate chao then this is tedious and boring. The key then is to make it more optional. 

Now, you maybe saying, "well if it's optional why have it at all?" "What's the point?" If I may, I'd like to take a bit of a detour and direct one's attention at WOW and the vanity pets in that game. Now yes WOW is an MMO and has next to nothing to do with Sonic except that, like Sonic, it's a gaming franchise. But it's not so much WOW that I want to focus on as it is the vanity pets in the game. Now these "pets" started out as little more than eye candy. They were just random critters you could get to follow your character around and had some idle animations. That was it. Yet look at them today. Now WOW has a vanity pet battle system. Also look at sites like Warcraft pets. It's HUUUGE. It's become so much a part of the community that the Webmaster was honored by Blizzard and got turned into an NPC in the game. 

Now, after saying all this, lets take one final look at the WOW vanity pets of today. Despite all the progress that's been made to them are they so different from when they started? They are still eye candy and though you can have them battle now what's that have to do with the rest of the game? NOTHING! They don't get you any cool armor or mounts. About all they are good for is some XP from battling trainers, some achievements, and maybe some gold. That's about it. Yet there are many out there that LOVE them. 

Now lets look at chao, here we have something that some people like and others don't. Should they be ditched completely? Well it depends, As I said earlier good gameplay should always come first. But if the game seems solid then I don't think adding a Chao Garden would hurt. Just don't make it a necessity, or give the player other options to work around it.

I, myself, like this solution: turn the chao into items that can help you in game. Perhaps, depending on what type they are, they do different things like if they're a swimmer they allow you to hold your breath underwater longer or move faster underwater. Now some of you might argue, "well then I'd still have to raise them if I want that benefit". Not necessarily, you could have a Shop in the game like the Black Market, and buy the chao there for rings or something. Tadda! Now we have gardens for those that love chao and an option to skip the chao raising for those that don't want to do it. Though, to make the raising more fun, allow the chao you raise to follow you in game. It gives the player a more personalized looking chao because, unlike the ones you'd buy from the market, your chao would have whatever animal parts you put on it! That and it might have a different color or appearance than the store bought chao happy.png .    

• Thumbs Up 1

Chao will probably be phased out so newer characters can appear, like Cubot and Orbot.

In fact I heard Cubot and Orbot were seen eating the Chao, like Chao ate the small animals when they were phased out, the marshmallow peep bastards.

Edited by American Ristar

In fact I heard Cubot and Orbot were seen eating the Chao, like Chao ate the small animals when they were phased out, the marshmallow peep bastards.

Uh, when did this happen? 

• Thumbs Up 1

"Hey, do you remember your old Gameplay Roulette shtick from the earlier games? Yeah, you should totally do that again."

I'd actually kinda like that, it's getting a little old playing as sonic exclusively time for a new title with a couple extra characters. Gameplay roulette was good because it meant getting other characters that didn't just feel like playing as sonic with dreadlocks....

People want to play as characters who play like Sonic, but with different abilities such as being able to fly, climb walls, throw fire etc.

Not play a Sonic game, then a fishing game, then a beat-em-up game, then a run and gun game, then a puzzle platformer before facing a final boss using completely new and out of nowhere controls.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes.

Added to the replay value of Sonic Adventure 2: Battle tremendously, for me. Replayed levels just to get those chaos drives, which I in turn used to level my chao and earn additional emblems with. Good fun.

Surely the replay value should be in strong level design, loads of secrets, alternate routes and that stuff, rather than to constantly grind for something extraneous? Or more and/or longer levels? The Sun and the Moon medals in Unleashed go the same way, except much less optional.

Once that's sorted, THEN you can add the optional stuff to add replay value.

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'd actually kinda like that, it's getting a little old playing as sonic exclusively time for a new title with a couple extra characters. Gameplay roulette was good because it meant getting other characters that didn't just feel like playing as sonic with dreadlocks....

If you don't want to play as a Sonic-like character, then don't play a Sonic game.

I just don't understand why people expect this series to provide a million different gameplay experiences.

• Thumbs Up 2

My ideas on improving Chao gameplay

Change the Experience System
-It takes way too long to raise Chao from Child to Adult and then to Reincarnation
-instead of playing a stage, collecting animals and Chaos Drives, and then dumping them into the Gardens, let's it make it so that you can equip 1 Chao, that will fly around with you on a Stage and everything you collect will automatically be absorbed by the Chao you have equipped. Or you can have Experience Gauges, similar to Sonic Unleashed, where you can store all the power from the Chaos Drives you collect, and any Animals you collect can go to a Nature Preserve or place where you can take a Chao and have it copy their abilities
-if you want a Chao to look like a certain Sonic Character, have them equipped with that character for 5 stages

Turn Chao Stadium into an Olympic Tournament like M&SATO
-have more than just Racing and Karate
-have each Chao's Stats will affect their chances of winning in the games
-Chao who have a higher version of certain stats can do more in events
-Instead of players just cheering Chao on when they race or fight, change it so that you can have full control over them

Have Chao Garden Customization
-organize how you want your gardens to look
-buy toys and objects for your Chao that can increase their Stats, influence their Type, and raise their happiness.
-make it so that you can buy new gardens or expand old gardens with Rings, so you can have more Chao
-have Gardens look like they exist in actual Sonic Levels. How cool would it be to be to have a Chao Garden that looks like the Green Hill Zone, Final Rush, Cool Edge, Dream Valley, or some other Sonic or SEGA game?

Make everything optional
-If you don't want anything to do with the Chao, sell the Animals and Chaos Drives to get Rings to buy other things from the Shop. Also, don't put the Shop in the Kindergarden.

Uh, when did this happen? 

When didn't it?

Anyways I think Chao only entered into the series because Sega wanted a virtual pet in its game.

We got a Tamagotchi topic up recently, but those things aren't really popular anymore.

How can you over think any reason why chao shouldn't be in a game.  They don't even have to be related to the story.  If you don't want to raise a chao then.....don't?  If you do well then have tons of fun raising a chao!

A relatively simple concept to add to the game, and gives you an enormous time-killer. I'm sure whatever resources go into a garden pales in comparison to the full game itself. In which case, it's a very cost-effective way to extend gameplay life.

Plus it'd sell on nostalgia value alone. For those who it doesn't sell to, they can ignore it as it's optional.