Awoo.

The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword?

Masterofnone169

Neither - Link to the Past or Link's Awakening.  I'll let you all in on a little secret:  I didn't win the election because I spent too much time replaying Link's Awakening instead of stumping in Ohio.  I'd rather be playing the Organ of Evening Calm or the Thunder Drum instead of campaigning.

• Thumbs Up 1

Twilight Princess is better. It has a better story. Better controls. Better graphics. Better dungeons. And of course better characters like Midna who's probably one of the most well developed video game characters ever.

midna_imp_f_a_by_q_v_9-d2z3gfv_zpsfac227

Skyward Sword has a boring story with Not Ganon I mean Demise. Weird graphics and characters that are a down grade from other Zelda games. Plus it had Fi who was a big letdown compaired to past Zelda partners. But worse of all is the fucking motion controls. They make things more frustrating then they need to be.

The only thing I'd agree on that with is Midna. Skyward Sword has better everything else, and in fact has a better characterized Zelda than any other game in the series; while the one in Twilight Princess was white bread. As for the graphics, I think Skyward Sword's are beautiful and truly fit the feel off the series more than Twilight Princess did. Zelda games mostly have focused on fantastical designs in the world and the creatures within it, and Skyward Sword does just that, and colors it in with a rendering system that makes it all look like it belongs in a painting or a story book (it also evokes the look of the games from the Link to the Past era by doing this). Also, Ghirahim is way better than Zant. Seriously, Zant is balls. As for controls, I respect that you don't like motion controls but, in my opinion, the controls implemented in Skyward Sword have allowed for the best swordplay in the series to date; leading to absolutely wonderful battles with even regular enemies.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph
  • Thumbs Up 3

Ok guys.  I suggested only TP and SS because it is the only games that are a option for me.  I don't have a 3DS or a N64 so that means OoT is thrown out of the window straight away.

I have no intention of buying a Wii U.  Maybe in 2 years time when it is around the £200 mark but not while it's in the £350 mark.

Everyone here clearly have different opinions on certain games.  I might as well explain what I would like to see.

Cartoony graphics are better as I like to feel and ascension of disbelieve when it comes to video games.

A easy to understand story.   I'm new to the series so I don't want something so complicated that it gets rid of the fun out of it.

A reasonable game length.  I don't want the game to drag on for so long that it starts to get tedious.  If I think it was a bit too short I will replay it.  No really, I will.  I play Kingdom Hearts 2 on all difficulties 1 after another.

Simple RPG elements.  Kind of like Kingdom hearts 2.

That should help people make a decision for me.

People have been suggesting OoT because, as previously said, it's on the Wii Shop Channel.

Personally, I'd say SS is the better game. It's much more lively, and there's not really much separation between the the overworld and dungeons. You have one main hub area, Skyloft, and the rest is much more linear and almost structured like levels. It's very different to the usual Zelda experience. The art style is an absolute treat too, especially when if overflows to the point where every character in the game is brimming with personality.

TP is fun, but basically tries way too hard to be mature. Half the time it's unintentional nightmare fuel.

You can still buy OoT from the Wii's Virtual Console. That's how I first experienced it and I liked it so much I even bought the 3DS remake a couple of weeks after I cleared the Virtual Console one. It's a good experience and I can definitely recommend it. It isn't exactly the prettiest game on the market but it still plays just fine. 

I haven't played TP but SS is definitely a great game. My only problem with it is that I felt like the game just started constantly throwing new obstacles on my way towards the end of the game. It's like whenever I cleared a quest and thought I'd get to a next dungeon or something someone would just pop up and say I need to fix the windmill first. Or that I need to travel halfway across the entire world to get some water to get to a dungeon that is right in front of me but a couple of flames are preventing me from getting inside. I don't know. Shit like this just really wasn't present in OoT and if it was, it at least had some meaning in the story and you could just teleport back to the location with the ocarina rather than having to spend several minutes flying across the unnecessarily big sky. But other than that I really didn't have a problem with SS. If you're more into cartoony style then this might be the better game for you. And it just might be the better game overall since it just has that much more stuff packed into it. 

I prefer Zelda TP, but if you only have the choice of the Wii version I'd be more iffy to recommend it because the Gamecube version plays WAY better.  In TP the motion controls were literally tacked on and have no semblance to reality at all (basically a swing in any direction does the same as "B" does on Gamecube, you have to push the control stick to swing in different directions and that feels a hell of a lot more natural on a traditional control pad).

I personally found Skyward Sword a dissapointment due to a cockteasing basic storyline, predictable plot twists and and really jarringly forced "emotional" moments that just come out of nowhere, as well as unrelentingly, badly paced, and frankly very "lonely" feeling gameplay compared to past games, and would take Zelda TP over it any day

BUT.

A lot of people prefer it to TP so you might too.  And since you're using motion controls either way, might as well use the motion controls that are actually good (ignore anyone who says they don't work, they're a serious minority and most just hate motion controls in general to begin with - if you decide for yourself you are one such person then fair enough but... yeah just don't take it into account on your decision).

I too would say Zelda OoT is the best entry point to the franchise mind you, however the original has aged a bit and you'll need a Classic/Gamecube controller to play it on Virtual Console from the Wii Shop Channel so if you don't have one of those then yeah.  Personally I would say Ocarina of Time 3D is now the best way to start on the series.  Seriously great port with a ton of little fixes to remove some fake difficulty the original game had, and all the aesthetic changes that I don't like you wouldn't even notice if you hadn't played the original.

TL;DR: Skyward Sword is my reluctant recommendation if you can't play the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess.

• Thumbs Up 3

Skyward Sword has a boring story

Why

with Not Ganon I mean Demise.

You're saying that as if Ghirahim wasn't amazing.

And also as if Twilight Princess didn't have the actual Ganon for the 390472039470th time.

Weird graphics

So stylized is "weird" and therefore bad?

and characters that are a down grade from other Zelda games.

...Aside from Midna, I think it's a bit of a stretch to say TP even had characters. :I

Plus it had Fi who was a big letdown compaired to past Zelda partners.

Eh, I enjoyed her more than Navi.

But worse of all is the fucking motion controls. They make things more frustrating then they need to be.

Care to explain how? I and most other people thought SS's motion controls worked amazingly well and added a lot to the combat. At the very least, care to explain how TP's LOLWAGGLE was better? And I mean, at least SS's enemies required strategy to beat.

Ok guys.  I suggested only TP and SS because it is the only games that are a option for me.  I don't have a 3DS or a N64 so that means OoT is thrown out of the window straight away.

OoT is still on Virtual Console and you can download it for about ten bucks, and unless you have a new Wii model that doesn't play GC games, Wind Waker is still a viable option.

But judging from your criteria, Skyward Sword is definitely your man.

Twilight Princess is better. It has a better story. Better controls. Better graphics. Better dungeons. 

I have to disagree. As far as graphics go, Twilight Princess hasn't aged spectacularly. Hell, even when it came out it had really muddy, blown-up textures. Skyward Sword's art direction may have been divisive, but going for a stylized painting-look was a huge point in its favor because they managed to create something visually appealing despite the Wii's dated hardware. 

And of course better characters like Midna who's probably one of the most well developed video game characters ever.

I like Midna too- I think she's a good character with a really cool design- but there are a lot of more well-written and well-developed characters out there.

Personally I think she's actually too big of a focal point of the story, even if she is the Twilight Princess. The story is so much about her and NOT Link that it starts to feel like all you're doing is chauffeuring her around until the next cutscene happens. She's better than Fi, no doubt, but saying she's among the most well-developed out there is pushing it. 

Skyward Sword has a boring story with Not Ganon I mean Demise. 

But Demise is supposed to be

Ganondorf's origin. Ganondorf is the reincarnation of Demise's hatred and anger harbored for the Goddess. Demise is SUPPOSED to look a lot like Ganon.

Honestly, I'm not sure which game I prefer. Both have their own merits, but I think Skyward Sword looks and plays nicer, there's more to go back for, and it's not as embarrassingly easy as Twilight Princess. On the other hand, Twilight Princess has better pacing and hits fewer dead spots (NO TAD TONES). 

Skyward Sword is probably the better game, though, if you can get over the motion controls. Despite some annoyances they add a lot and make a good use of the Wii Motion Plus. 

Also, Ghirahim is way better than Zant. Seriously, Zant is balls.

I agree completely. A lot of people love/hate his flamboyant nature, but I think the real draw of him is that unlike a lot of other Zelda villains, he has a very commanding presence in the story. He's constantly following you around and you have several run-ins with him throughout the game. 

Zant was cool when he was a imposing, domineering figure and not a crazy coo-coo who just happened to be hijacked by Ganon.

• Thumbs Up 3

I kinda hate when people cite TP's waggle as a point about it that makes it worse than Skyward Sword because the Wii version was a blatant afterthought.  I consider the Gamecube one to be the main version personally.  I know more people played the Wii version but... it was developed for Gamecube.  The Gamecube version doesn't have a mirrored viewpoint (causing all the pseudo-english text on signs etc to be reversed), and despite being on Wii, Link's Crossbow Training used the Gamecube version's non-mirrored maps.

I know it was released simultaneously but I kinda feel like criticising Twilight Princess (as a whole) for waggle would be like criticising Mario Power Tennis, Pikmin etc for the same thing due to playing their New Play Control re-releases first.

Btw I don't care that Midna was the focus of the story over Link either.  Link doesn't have to have a ton of personality for it to have a good story, and remember he had the motivation the whole time to save the world for the sake of his hometown and friends, as well as returning Ilia's memory.

Besides, Majora's Mask is one of the most emotionally involving Zelda games ever and you can hardly say Link had a personality in that.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

Zant was cool when he was a imposing, domineering figure and not a crazy coo-coo who just happened to be hijacked by Ganon.

Yeah, Zant was a bitter disappointment. Walking into the throne room at Hyrule Castle and disposing of everybody and nearly killing Midna made him terrifying for most of the game, so much so that it further amplified the presence of Ganon when he was finally revealed. Then, for no real reason, he devolved into this childish, cackling monstrosity, a creature not entirely right in the head, the complete opposite of his initial appearances. After that boss fight, I hoped for Ganon to pick up the slack which he also failed to do, especially in comparison to Demise's ridiculous boss fight and his relationship with Ghirahim. They were significantly better villains.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 4

I kinda hate when people cite TP's waggle as a point about it that makes it worse than Skyward Sword because the Wii version was a blatant afterthought.  

Regardless. TP's battle system is pretty pants in comparison to Skyward Sword, waggle or no. I wouldn't say it's as easy as Wind Waker's but all they basically changed was turning all the flashing A prompts into slashing while rolling.

Btw I don't care that Midna was the focus of the story over Link either.  Link doesn't have to have a ton of personality for it to have a good story, and remember he had the motivation the whole time to save the world for the sake of his hometown and friends, as well as returning Ilia's memory.

Besides, Majora's Mask is one of the most emotionally involving Zelda games ever and you can hardly say Link had a personality in that.

It's not about Link having a personality- him not having one is part of why Majora's Mask worked. You're supposed to be able to project onto him, in a sense.

The reason I say Midna was too big of a focus was because pretty much everything you end up doing is for her. You quickly forget about the hometown and friends and all that once you meet her and she becomes the star of virtually every cutscene. You're collecting the fused shadows for her. You're rebuilding the mirror for her. She's the title character of the game, she's the one who got usurped by Zant, and she's the one who exchanges words with the final final boss at the end.

My point is that it doesn't feel like your adventure, even if you're the one doing all the leg work. Even Skyward Sword didn't have that problem, despite Fi's constant nagging being equally detrimental to the atmosphere.

I just wanna step into this discussion here to say Fi is actually a pretty excellent partner. She's got a personality and gets involved. Other characters react to her too, namely Scrapper. Midna was a pretty swell partner too. I can't fault her. Either is better than bloody Navi.

Basically, Fi isn't what Dorkly would want you to think.

Either is better than bloody Navi.

I really never understood the Navi hate. She's reached meme status with all that "Hey! Listen!" stuff but she doesn't really chime in too much, and when she does her advice isn't ever as insultingly obvious as Fi's.

But that's just me.

• Thumbs Up 5

Really? Because Fi was the one overtly negative thing about the game to me.

She constantly stops the game to offer slow, grating tutorials which im sure could have been presented much better. She has zero character to me, to the point where I forget she's actually part of the story and the narrative as a whole, she's basically a talking databse and literally every other partner you had in Zelda games had more of a character than her. I just don't like her all that much.

And the beeping was so fucking obnoxoius.

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 1

Fi wasn't even that much of a negative, she was fine when she wasn't trying to tell me I was a low on hearts when I already had the low heart beep going. Funny thing, she's apparently that hand holding because, the Japanese gamer doesn't like it when they are not told exactly what they are supposed to do.

Regardless. TP's battle system is pretty pants in comparison to Skyward Sword, waggle or no. I wouldn't say it's as easy as Wind Waker's but all they basically changed was turning all the flashing A prompts into slashing while rolling.

There were a ton of moves other than slashing and rolling.  I personally found them all useful.  And I preferred it and found it more satisfying to SS's series of buzz wire games.  There was a lot of genuinely good stuff in SS of course, I'm not being entirely serious, but I do still find SS's more satisfying.

It's not about Link having a personality- him not having one is part of why Majora's Mask worked. You're supposed to be able to project onto him, in a sense.

The reason I say Midna was too big of a focus was because pretty much everything you end up doing is for her. You quickly forget about the hometown and friends and all that once you meet her and she becomes the star of virtually every cutscene. You're collecting the fused shadows for her. You're rebuilding the mirror for her. She's the title character of the game, she's the one who got usurped by Zant, and she's the one who exchanges words with the final final boss at the end.

My point is that it doesn't feel like your adventure, even if you're the one doing all the leg work. Even Skyward Sword didn't have that problem, despite Fi's constant nagging being equally detrimental to the atmosphere.

I guess I'll just have to respect how you felt here, because it's not something that bothers me when I have one character to be the heart of the story and one to be my avatar for physical traversement of the land that it allows it to be a game as well as a story.

I just wanna step into this discussion here to say Fi is actually a pretty excellent partner. She's got a personality and gets involved. Other characters react to her too, namely Scrapper. Midna was a pretty swell partner too. I can't fault her. Either is better than bloody Navi.

Basically, Fi isn't what Dorkly would want you to think.

Fi had a personality?  I just remember a robot with a running gag about percentages.  I also agree with Solly that Navi is way less annoying too.

In fact the "HEY LISTEN" meme always kind of annoys me because she only actually says that if you choose to respond to her occasional (and singular) "Hey!" when she has something to say.

I frequently forgot why Fi was even with me during the game in SS.

Edited by JezMM

I don't really want to get wrapped up in this debate, but I will say this: Fi is without a doubt the worst Zelda character ever in my book. I agree that Navi's annoyance has been played up, but Fi is like 20 of the meme-Navi's combined into a single annoying over-expositive robot that tells you everything about everything twice, and then tells you again just for good measure.

• Thumbs Up 1

Navi's annoyance is played up of course, but I found nothing likable about her at all. She doesn't have any semblance of a character. Fi, while giving out too many hints and flat out telling you where to go half the time, is likeable. I agree with the hate. Know where it's coming from, but don't agree.

But Demise is supposed to be

Ganondorf's origin. Ganondorf is the reincarnation of Demise's hatred and anger harbored for the Goddess. Demise is SUPPOSED to look a lot like Ganon.

This is true, but that doesn't mean it isn't dumb. He's got like no presence in the game, when he does show up properly he's just Ultrabuff O'Badguy, and the spoiled thing, that's explaining something that didn't really need to be explained...or maybe, adding something that doesn't really add anything. Ganon/dorf was already a recurring antagonist with a grudge against the forces of good, wasn't he?

I disagree entirely; the stoic grumbly bad guy is just so generic. Zant going nuts is the only time I really gave a shit about him.

I just wanna step into this discussion here to say Fi is actually a pretty excellent partner. She's got a personality

???

She's intentionally robotic and emotionless, and aside from the dancing scenes I can't think of any time she advances beyond that. Except the last scene, where they try to pull an emotional parting, which just feels like bullshit because she barely comes off as sentient.

• Thumbs Up 1